• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Bought Stranger's Wrath HD at launch, played the heck out of it and now i'm very tempted to buy the vita version. Even though I have so many games, especially on Vita, whom want me to play with them already :p
But JAW is awesome and they deserve my moolah!

Skyzard

Banned
Never played it on xbox, currently on Vita - finally a 3d platformer for the system. Really funny and good performance/visuals so far (just got it a short while ago).

Bought Stranger's Wrath HD at launch, played the heck out of it and now i'm very tempted to buy the vita version. Even though I have so many games, especially on Vita, whom want me to play with them already :p
But JAW is awesome and they deserve my moolah!

Yeah I can't help buying these games for the system. Already have SFxT, SMB, S&S Racing Transformed, BSI and a couple others like PSASBR and NFS:MW that I want to get back to (not even my proper backlog the system). Not to mention mortal kombat on ps+ today ... (eu I think).

Can't resist with this though, exactly what I was hoping for, thanks devs!

Tizoc

Here are tips for those that started a new game on Normal or Hard:

1- A fully charged Zapfly can stun any normal enemy, so utilize it whenever you can instead of the spider.
2- Fully charged Zapfly->Thudslug does a good dose of Stun damage to bosses, effective for capturing them alive.
3- Thudslugs are good for knocking out heavy enemies, 2 Thudslugs should be enough to knock one out.
4- There's no need to buy the bottles that increase the number of Critter ammo you can get from their hovels.
5- BUY THE BINOCULARS/GOGGLES, IIRC, if you don't buy it you may never get it again for the rest of the game.
6- Always check the General Store before and after cashing in Bounties. I strongly recommend getting the equipment that'll improve the reload of the Thudslug
7- Get the cheapest melee attack upgrade, in FPS mode, one punch should be enough to knock out a normal enemy type, at least on Normal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a solid port thus far but, man, the camera sensitivity feels awful to me. The 3rd person camera is nowhere near sensitive enough while the first person camera feels too sensitive. The options really don't help much (and have no impact on the third person cam). Frustrating.

Other than that, it's good. They seem to have used all of the upgraded assets from the PS3 version while running at native resolution. They seem to have left the framerate unlocked, however, meaning it often hovers just above 30 fps (resulting in minor judder). It's still smooth, but it should have been locked at 30 fps. Still, despite this, it feels pretty decent in motion and looks great. I'd say it actually looks better than any other version running on this smaller screen as the size helps hide some of the limitations of the visuals.

It's a solid port thus far but, man, the camera sensitivity feels awful to me. The 3rd person camera is nowhere near sensitive enough while the first person camera feels too sensitive. The options really don't help much (and have no impact on the third person cam). Frustrating.

Other than that, it's good. They seem to have used all of the upgraded assets from the PS3 version while running at native resolution. They seem to have left the framerate unlocked, however, meaning it often hovers just above 30 fps (resulting in minor judder). It's still smooth, but it should have been locked at 30 fps. Still, despite this, it feels pretty decent in motion and looks great. I'd say it actually looks better than any other version running on this smaller screen as the size helps hide some of the limitations of the visuals.

We are doing an update in Jan/Feb so could possibly look at locking it at 30fps tops.

VanWinkle

There is a discount for folks of 25% for double dippers, AND today in EU there is a 25% discount too for PS+ stuff

Wait what? I bought Strangers Wrath on PS3 in the US as soon as it came out and still had to pay full price on the Vita version :-( I was hoping something would have come of that double dipper discount you had mentioned a couple of days ago but the game went up at the store and it still said $14.99.

Wait what? I bought Strangers Wrath on PS3 in the US as soon as it came out and still had to pay full price on the Vita version :-( I was hoping something would have come of that double dipper discount you had mentioned a couple of days ago but the game went up at the store and it still said $14.99.

Currently it's only an SCEE thing, as SCEA are apparently "Fully stocked up for PS+ at this time" :(

So we tried but they had no space for us.

We are doing an update in Jan/Feb so could possibly look at locking it at 30fps tops.

Didn't wanna be a nitpicky winerbaby but yeah, this was one of the first things noticed =/

...lol, kind of felt like an asshole for noticing it right away too.

Still can't believe I have this damn thing on a handheld.
Awesome work JAW!

Just got it late last night, played it for about an hour. Performance is great, I'm really happy with my purchase. Also in case anyone in the EU regions was still contemplating it, this was posted off their Facebook:

So as of today, not only does the VITA version of Stranger's Wrath HD and Munch's Oddysee HD for PS3 have a 25% discount for PS+ subscribers in Europe, so does the PS3 version of Stranger's Wrath HD as well...

This ends on January 9th 2013

Currently it's only an SCEE thing, as SCEA are apparently "Fully stocked up for PS+ at this time" :(

So we tried but they had no space for us.

That's interesting, so they have limited space for how much Plus discounts and such they can do. I knew they had release schedules on PSN and sometimes it can screw over devs who want to put their stuff out ASAP.

dark10x

Oh cool, that would be nice as it would definitely provide a more stable feel.

Thoughts on the camera sensitivity? In third person the horizontal panning is very slow while the vertical panning is too fast. Just feels unnatural to me.

The rear touchpad melee is also annoying, but hey, it's not as if you have all necessary buttons to work with so I can live with that (though maybe a hotspot on the front touch could work). ;)

Don't mean to sound too picky, though, as it's really awesome experiencing this on a handheld. I *REALLY* appreciate that you guys went for native resolution as well.

Any details on how the porting process went? I'm curious to know what it took to translate this to the Vita hardware and whether any cuts were made. I've only played for 20 minutes and haven't looked closely, but the assets seem to be in line with the PS3 game (as are the shadows). Sometimes these details are obscured by the smaller screen, though. Regardless, the effect is convincing.

wanted congrats to JAW once again. The aiming sensitivity/analog calibration is freaking perfect in FPS mode. Dare i say its better then Resistance Burning Skies?

lol, Strangers Wrath secretly Vita's best FPS

EDIT: Yes Dark, a backscreen hotspot could be an idea

ss_lemonade

Didn't know this was coming out now. Man, already used up a full $50 psn card on dj max, now need to buy more psn cards again T_T.

So its pretty much a perfect port of the console version huh. Never beat this on the OG xbox so this will be a cool addition to my vita library

Oh cool, that would be nice as it would definitely provide a more stable feel.
We'll take a look at it and see what we can do, so basically you're suggesting we CAP the FPS at 30, like limiting a car, so you don't go over a certain speed?

Thoughts on the camera sensitivity? In third person the horizontal panning is very slow while the vertical panning is too fast. Just feels unnatural to me.
heh this is quite funny, as it was one of my personal issues during development, but I just couldn't articulate it to Pete well enough, thanks ;)

The rear touchpad melee is also annoying, but hey, it's not as if you have all necessary buttons to work with so I can live with that (though maybe a hotspot on the front touch could work). ;)
The reason we put it on the back is because your hands are doing nothing back there, granted it is a little sensitive, but I think it works well. If it was the on the front you'd have to break off what you're doing with your thumbs to touch the screen, this to me is a little bit of an immersion breaker.

Don't mean to sound too picky, though, as it's really awesome experiencing this on a handheld. I *REALLY* appreciate that you guys went for native resolution as well.
The version on the SCEA E3 booth was nutting at a lower resolution, so since then we've really been optimizing and tweaking to MAKE sure it was native and as quick as possible.

Any details on how the porting process went? I'm curious to know what it took to translate this to the Vita hardware and whether any cuts were made. I've only played for 20 minutes and haven't looked closely, but the assets seem to be in line with the PS3 game (as are the shadows). Sometimes these details are obscured by the smaller screen, though. Regardless, the effect is convincing.
Actually we expected to have to drop a LOT of stuff down for it, but in the end the stuff we did change actually helped the PS3 version too. There was no model poly count reductions from the PS3 data, so that's the PS3 data there, HOWEVER it's kinda drawing MORE polys. We ended up having to reduce the alpha usage by tweaking the foliage so the polys were right around leafs etc, and NOT just a quad with a lot of empty space on them.

The VITA/PS3 aren't great at drawing stuff for nothing, IE if you are testing and removing alpha why?! so just model around the leaves etc, reduces the alpha amount and increases the performance.

Chris_C

Stewart, haven't picked it up on Vita yet (waiting till the weekend) but I wanted to say thanks for coming in and answering questions from customers, it really is appreciated.

Stewart, haven't picked it up on Vita yet (waiting till the weekend) but I wanted to say thanks for coming in and answering questions from customers, it really is appreciated.

Our CTO tells me off for engaging you guys, but I enjoy it, plus why would I not, you're not ALL wild animals ;-)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Most are though :D

I think Stranger's Wrath is the best HD-release ever. With the holidays coming up, I can't wait to replay this, lying on a comfy couch, headphones on and a cup of coffee :D

qGsNG.jpg

Okay, had the waifu snap a picture for me.

So basically this is how i how my Vita 95 percent of the time. As you can see, my fingers are alway wrapped around the back. As you can imagine, games that assign primary inputs, menu modes, etc. on to the back screen are basically unplayable for me as not having the machine held like this, makes it VERY uncomfortable for my hands. As I said a few posts back, the initial PSX vita launch was almost worthless to me because some games like MGS or RE3 you couldn't remap the rear-touch and I was constantly setting shit off, merely by adjusting mah fingers.

Now I understand that not everyone holds their device this way. Honestly I think the best solution would not be a hot spot but make possibly the control scheme fully customizable or move melee to O, heal maybe to the DPAD as it's only being used for selecting ammo, which is touch-based anyway (which is freaking fantastic btw!)

dark10x

Same issue for me. The system isn't comfortable to hold if you have to avoid pressing the rear touch.

wwm0nkey

Can't wait to open my Vita on the 25th so I can buy this game for a 4th time lol

One of my all time favorite games and its good to see a lot of people are enjoying it on the VITA :D

tusken77

qGsNG.jpg

Okay, had the waifu snap a picture for me.

So basically this is how i how my Vita 95 percent of the time. As you can see, my fingers are alway wrapped around the back. As you can imagine, games that assign primary inputs, menu modes, etc. on to the back screen are basically unplayable for me as not having the machine held like this, makes it VERY uncomfortable for my hands. As I said a few posts back, the initial PSX vita launch was almost worthless to me because some games like MGS or RE3 you couldn't remap the rear-touch and I was constantly setting shit off, merely by adjusting mah fingers.

Now I understand that not everyone holds their device this way. Honestly I think the best solution would not be a hot spot but make possibly the control scheme fully customizable or move melee to O, heal maybe to the DPAD as it's only being used for selecting ammo, which is touch-based anyway (which is freaking fantastic btw!)

Buy yourself the Hori grip.

IMG_0989-520x364.jpg

I have it and it's awesome. Completely eliminates any rear touch issues you may have.

Buy yourself the Hori grip.

IMG_0989-520x364.jpg

I have it and it's awesome. Completely eliminates any rear touch issues you may have.

I find add-on grips HIDEOS

If your customers have to resort to one, your device's core ergonomic design is a failure. Thankfully, I think the Vita's is mostly perfect.

tusken77

I find add-on grips HIDEOS

If your customers have to resort to one, your device's core ergonomic design is a failure. Thankfully, I think the Vita's is mostly perfect.

Fair enough. It's awesome, though. Eliminates any rear panel issues, super comfortable extendable grips, makes the Vita easy to hold one handed when swiping the screen etc. I wouldn't be without mine.

Fair enough. It's awesome, though. Eliminates any rear panel issues, super comfortable extendable grips, makes the Vita easy to hold one handed when swiping the screen etc. I wouldn't be without mine.

Another thing is I take the device with me everywhere.

Noticed "Stranger's Wrath HD" has been on Steam/PC for about 2 years now... how does that version compare to say, the PS3 one then? Tempted to get it there for 10 bucks unless it's a bad port then i might grab the PS3 version.

dark10x

Noticed "Stranger's Wrath HD" has been on Steam/PC for about 2 years now... how does that version compare to say, the PS3 one then? Tempted to get it there for 10 bucks unless it's a bad port then i might grab the PS3 version.
I'm not sure if it has been updated, but it was originally a very bad port without any of the upgrades you see in the PS3/Vita version.

PS3 version at least runs at (mostly) 60 fps.

wwm0nkey

Had some issues when it first came out and then the HD patch hit and fixed pretty much every issue. It has the same upgrades as the PS3/Vita version and it looks great.

Had some issues when it first came out and then the HD patch hit and fixed pretty much every issue. It has the same upgrades as the PS3/Vita version and it looks great.

Thanks! That is actually GREAT news for me!

10 bucks right now AND it might go on sale with the upcoming X-mas sale on Steam...

Though i have actually NEVER seen this one on sale before :( oh well still cheaper than the PS3 version!

No, going into FPMode is double tap, which works great. Melee is single tap. It constantly goes off if I even slightly shift my fingers or they slip a little due to the gloss finish.

On a side note, I found the dev diaries!

Those are from the PS3 version and were done AGGESSSS ago! :) But a good read though.

as for the read touch pad, how about we make it double tap for melee, so it's not accidental?

I'm not sure if it has been updated, but it was originally a very bad port without any of the upgrades you see in the PS3/Vita version.

PS3 version at least runs at (mostly) 60 fps.

We completely updated the PC version in September of this year to be inline with the PS3 "HD" version :)

Top Bottom