• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

Skyzard

Banned
Was going to ask how to use the Binoculars, but then I read the helpful digital manual.
It's a pretty nice manual too.

Oh I was wishing there was binoculars, awesome. To your question earlier, I feel the framerate goes above 30 indoors quite often...but I also can't tell if it is dropping from 40s to 30 (or below 30) in larger areas/first person mode slightly. But the only noticeable dips (below 30) for most people are rare - only remember seeing one so far -when going over the boulder collapse early on after defeating the first 3 in the area
trying to rob the train
and climbing up to the next area - at that peak. Only happens for a short period - I think it's loading both areas or initiating the AI stuff but it only lasts for a second until you drop down.

I'm thinking it would be better to lock to 30 if it isn't dipping below it often as I can feel it changing slightly. Great game, doesn't affect the gameplay.

OmegaZero

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping dark10x or GoldenHelmet sheds some light on that. :b
I agree though, that the dips are really rare and don't impact gameplay.

I'm impressed with the quality of the port, visually. The only difference I can see so far is that grass tufts are slightly less plentiful and have a shorter draw distance.

Grass tufts.

I love the ways I can approach fights in this game due to the live ammo.
Do I want to lure an enemy on top of a collapsible platform with a Chippunk so I can spring a lethal trap with this Zappfly? Do I want to use a Bolamite to web up that outlaw so I can run over and beat up his buddy? Do I want to lure an enemy into a Fuzzle trap with this Chippunk?

Pretty awesome so far.

Skyzard

Banned
I think they are considering capping it at 30fps (post by GoldenHelmet earlier in the thread). I know what you mean about approaches..feels almost like a stealth-action game!

Shrub draw distance bothers me a lot less than it did in Skyrim (PC)! They did it well imo. Draw distances are pretty huge too! Really happy it came to Vita decently.

OmegaZero

So, I discovered that if you want to melee with buttons, just remove a creature from one of your barrels. The button controlling the empty barrel will cause Stranger to punch.
EDIT: Also, shooting Zappflies so they hit surfaces at an angle will cause them to ricochet, making for some interesting trick shots.

Did I mention how much I love the AI here? If you get out of sight for a bit, then the AI will loose the ability to track you effectively and will head toward your last seen position or search for you. They're not psychic robots like other FPS enemies can be.

Yagharek

Bought the game this morning and played up to the first town. I'm midway through a PS3 version playthrough so I can at least compare the two, but damn if this isn't the most impressive handheld game ever, from a technical standpoint. Pips Wipeout 2048 imo.

Also controls are really good, even coming from the ps3 version and the loss of clickable sticks.

Excellent job by the people at JAW, you've worked magic on this thing.

matmanx1

You guys are going to make me buy this again aren't you? I already bought the PS3 version when it came out but most of my gaming these days is done on the Vita and this one would be great to have in the library.

Yagharek

So, I discovered that if you want to melee with buttons, just remove a creature from one of your barrels. The button controlling the empty barrel will cause Stranger to punch.
EDIT: Also, shooting Zappflies so they hit surfaces at an angle will cause them to ricochet, making for some interesting trick shots.

Did I mention how much I love the AI here? If you get out of sight for a bit, then the AI will loose the ability to track you effectively and will head toward your last seen position or search for you. They're not psychic robots like other FPS enemies can be.

I know you can also use the rear touch pad for melee punch with an empty bow slot. But the zapfly trick shot is news to me. I'll try that out tonight.

As for the AI, it is exploitable with the usual enemies, they are comically stupid. I tend to lure them one at a time and pick them off that way - but if you stuff up you can get absolutely mauled in very little time. You really have to plan some of the base attacks carefully, and be ready to run out of there quickly.

You guys are going to make me buy this again aren't you? I already bought the PS3 version when it came out but most of my gaming these days is done on the Vita and this one would be great to have in the library.

Do it. It's an amazing port.

Get some moolah and buy it. It's still the same great game you remember but given the portability of it now- it feels really fresh and new for some reason. The game is beautiful and runs well. I cannot wait for Munch's.

OmegaZero

I know you can also use the rear touch pad for melee punch with an empty bow slot. But the zapfly trick shot is news to me. I'll try that out tonight.

As for the AI, it is exploitable with the usual enemies, they are comically stupid. I tend to lure them one at a time and pick them off that way - but if you stuff up you can get absolutely mauled in very little time. You really have to plan some of the base attacks carefully, and be ready to run out of there quickly.

Yeah, the difficulty spikes caught me off guard.
Especially
the second Booty brother
so far. Got stuck on him for 40 minutes until I stopped trying to run-and-gun and knocked out a strategy.

Yagharek

Yeah, the difficulty spikes caught me off guard.
Especially
the second Booty brother
so far. Got stuck on him for 40 minutes until I stopped trying to run-and-gun and knocked out a strategy.

Even the first bounty is hard (the fort with spike trenches). I still havent figured out a non lethal way to capture him.

Still, eminently replayable game. Only reason I havent til now is the story is so strong it stuck with me for years and I didnt want to risk tarnishing the memory. Lucky that isnt happening; its better second time through.

Skyzard

Banned
I forgot you could heal with triangle so the second bounty took me like an hour

--eh the first one I mean then (after the tutorial one) - I ended up killing the fort one too

Skyzard

Banned
Haha, man, I'm surprised you made it that far without healing!

It's why I posted that I thought it was a stealth-action game lol

-also really liking the AI in this game as well
-framerate does vary a little more than I initially thought, but still holds up very well, no issues and I'm pesky usually

OmegaZero

Even the first bounty is hard (the fort with spike trenches). I still havent figured out a non lethal way to capture him.

Still, eminently replayable game. Only reason I havent til now is the story is so strong it stuck with me for years and I didnt want to risk tarnishing the memory. Lucky that isnt happening; its better second time through.

About that (assuming you're talking about
Lootin' Duke
), just shoot him with a charged Zappfly, then a Thudslug. Repeat and keep wearing down his stamina meter until he falls unconscious.

Yagharek

Haha, man, I'm surprised you made it that far without healing!

I didnt know until today (Vita version) you could reload with O. Ive been playing the Ps3 version without it. Luckily I found out now, because I know it gets a lot harder later on.

About that (assuming you're talking about
Lootin' Duke
), just shoot him with a charged Zappfly, then a Thudslug. Repeat and keep wearing down his stamina meter until he falls unconscious.

Yeah I tend to have bad luck with the following strategy (that kills him instead):
Fuzzle traps and he winds up swatting them off, running around like mad and falling into a spike trap

OmegaZero

Yeah I tend to have bad luck with the following strategy (that kills him instead):
Fuzzle traps and he winds up swatting them off, running around like mad and falling into a spike trap

Oh gawd, I just remembered the first two times I used a Thudslug on him, it sent him
into those spinning fans
. Whoops.

Yagharek

Oh gawd, I just remembered the first two times I used a Thudslug on him, it sent him
into those spinning fans
. Whoops.

Done that many a time. It's funny as hell, but its not what I was trying to do!

As an aside, an general advice for new players:

1. If you see two or more enemies talking to each other, listen. The dialogue is gold.
2. Chippunks are smartarses. I had one tell Stranger today that he smells like a mix of piss and vinegar.

black_13

Banned
Man this was seriously my favorite under-appreciated game last gen. Fuck I wish I could get a Vita just for this. Although PS3 version looks good too.

ok after playing it im with the other folks, move the melee function out of the rear touch pad or make it double tap

Like I said, 3 out of the 4 Dpad directions are honestly free as of right now, any direction pulls up the ammo menu, which itself is touch based anyway.
Move Melee to the O button (camera recenter is sort of useless as it's so slow) and reload to Up, Left, or Right. I've honestly never used the reload button anyway up to this point.

I just want to say that this is the best FPS on the Vita.
(Which isn't saying that much since there's only three, but still...)

Love the controls except the rear touch pad to melee. It works, but I touch the rear touchpad sometimes by accident, causing me to melee randomly.

Framerate is steady for the most part, but I've already experienced a noticeable framerate drop near the beginning here:

I dunno if it's from 40 to 30 or from 30 to lower, but it's pretty noticeable.

So far, the game looks and plays great. JAW did a great job on this port.
*goes back to playing Stranger's Wrath*

*aww shucks* Thank you :)

I'll let you into a little secret, SOME of the early bounties are very VERY easy to get without killing...

Get as close as you can to the bountry, (make sure you are armed with ZappFly on full charge and a Bolamite). Get up close fire a Zappfly then IMMEDIATELY fire a Bolamite. For the split second the dude is being *shocked* you can string him up ;)

Taa daa!

This game touches my gaming pacifist heart <3

2 bounties so far and only one dude died and that's because he fell off a cliff

Also, GOT DAMN this looks amazing.

Guys,
I'd just like to say thanks for all the awesome support :)

It's a far cry from the raping we got 24 months ago just after we released the PC initial Port of Stranger.

I'm glad some of you stuck with us and stayed the course and have now played and enjoyed our vision of Stranger's Wrath.

So from us...

http://www.jawltd.com/xmas12/

And if you fancy taking a look at our preview cards ;-)

http://www.jawltd.com/xmas11/
http://www.jawltd.com/xmas10/
http://www.jawltd.com/xmas09/
http://www.jawltd.com/xmas08/

Stewart

Yagharek

I'll let you into a little secret, SOME of the early bounties are very VERY easy to get without killing...

Get as close as you can to the bountry, (make sure you are armed with ZappFly on full charge and a Bolamite). Get up close fire a Zappfly then IMMEDIATELY fire a Bolamite. For the split second the dude is being *shocked* you can string him up ;)

Taa daa!

Cheers for the tip, I'll try that next playthrough.

I think I've been hesitant to use thudslugs as well because of some deaths they can cause in certain situations. As a stun weapon they are brilliant against some of the heavier outlaws.

Taa daa!

the bounty after the wagon get blocked i just shot him with the bug that strings him up and that was it. Im assuming thats not meant to be possible without zapping him first. Maybe I did it just after he shot so he couldnt avoid it?

Guys,
I'd just like to say thanks for all the awesome support :)

It's a far cry from the raping we got 24 months ago just after we released the PC initial Port of Stranger.

I'm glad some of you stuck with us and stayed the course and have now played and enjoyed our vision of Stranger's Wrath.

So from us...

http://www.jawltd.com/xmas12/

And if you fancy taking a look at our preview cards ;-)

http://www.jawltd.com/xmas11/
http://www.jawltd.com/xmas10/
http://www.jawltd.com/xmas09/
http://www.jawltd.com/xmas08/

Stewart

Hey, no problem man!

Thanks again for your guy's decision truly excellent work and decision to support the platform. I truly wish there more like you out there.

We've been debating about the rear touch controls, and will likely address this in January for you all ;-)

As well as a little surprise :D

SmokyDave

We've been debating about the rear touch controls, and will likely address this in January for you all ;-)

As well as a little surprise :D

That's awesome. Thank you for listening to feedback.

FWIW, I'm enjoying the game so much I had to bring my Vita to work so I can play it more at lunch. You've done a cracking job.

Gunsmithx

yup double dipped for me and got it for a friend too. Awesome to see how far this has come since those early PC port days, can't wait to see more!

Are you playing on easy? ;-)

nope, normal.

I thought he was a little easy.... maybe im remembering wrong and I zapped him first but I really dont think I did.

Edit

Oh and great job on this game its fantastic.

With regards to melee on back touch... leave that option in there as im kinda OK with it as it allows me to melee without taking my fingers off the sticks but an alternative is a great idea.

jdevil99

Other then the super sensitive rear touch controls, this port is fantastic. Great job GoldenHelmet and the rest of the guys(and gals) at JAW.

Skyzard

Banned

Vita?
:)

With regards to melee on back touch... leave that option in there as im kinda OK with it as it allows me to melee without taking my fingers off the sticks but an alternative is a great idea.

Please ^

Not to forget, 30fps cap possibly and option to bump up third person camera sensitivity slightly - if it is set how it is to limit framerate drops or tearing or something then it's fine, not a big deal for me so far

CF68N.jpg

...sweet jesus

JAW are monsters

Epic Drop

CF68N.jpg

...sweet jesus

JAW are monsters

Wow, I can't believe that there are graphics like this on a handheld.

I meant to play this back when it originally released years ago, but for some reason I never got around to it. I can't wait to buy this game and put some time in to it over the holidays.

Wow, I can't believe that there are graphics like this on a handheld.

I meant to play this back when it originally released years ago, but for some reason I never got around to it. I can't wait to buy this game and put some time in to it over the holidays.

yeah, its pretty insane. Like im REALLY taking my time going through the environments.

Top Bottom