• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

Thanks! That is actually GREAT news for me!

10 bucks right now AND it might go on sale with the upcoming X-mas sale on Steam...

Though i have actually NEVER seen this one on sale before :( oh well still cheaper than the PS3 version!

It's going on sale on Steam any day now for a good chunk off too! ;-)

wwm0nkey

Those are from the PS3 version and were done AGGESSSS ago! :) But a good read though.

as for the read touch pad, how about we make it double tap for melee, so it's not accidental?

Do it! I can stand to hold it without touching the back but options are always nice! :D

Cheska

I've never played the original or the HD version on PS3 when it was announced but I've seen quite a few folks talking about it on Twitter and it's now generating interest. Maybe I'll pick up a PSN card today or something.

Those are from the PS3 version and were done AGGESSSS ago! :) But a good read though.

as for the read touch pad, how about we make it double tap for melee, so it's not accidental?

Sure. Sounds quick and painless enough. Why not just make it O though? Maybe some different controller presets?

jdevil99

I own the original, sealed, for X-box. Why I never played it is beyond me, sometimes gems like this slip through the cracks. I decided to buy this, to have something that'll pull me away from Persona 4 for a bit, and my lord is this game awesome. The detail in the world is pretty crazy considering its based off an old title, the comedy though is what sold me. I've laughed countless times in the first hour of playing and I'm officially hooked. This can easily keep me from Persona 4 for the next few days.

I'm going to download Stranger's Wrath for Vita. I've never played it before. What I'm confused about is that I remember there was a lot of fan backlash on neogaf when it was released for Steam a year or two ago. Have the issues discussed in this thread been addressed or did everyone just mellow out?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25065178

It looks like there were a ton of video card compatibility issues.

Skyzard

Banned
Reartouch pad is a pain with so many games, even the nubs are uncomfortable to control for me after a while - I have to use a grip so I have no issues with the controls, remapping is always nice if you can find a way. I recommend the CTA grip but yeah it makes it less portable - perfect for around the house though.

I actually don't mind FPS being variable and appreciate when it goes faster although if it fluctuates too much that is irritating...but usually as long as it doesn't go below 30 much I'm good. Need more time with it though, just about to fire it up again.

I'm going to download Stranger's Wrath for Vita. I've never played it before. What I'm confused about is that I remember there was a lot of fan backlash on neogaf when it was released for Steam a year or two ago. Have the issues discussed in this thread been addressed or did everyone just mellow out?

All fixed completely! :)

VanWinkle

I don't know why I have no problem using the indents in the back. I have large hands and my other devices I hold like agentotaku on the previous page but on Vita I just curl my fingers in line with the indents and I've never had a single problem. Does it just hurt your guys' hands when you hold it properly?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

They were completely addressed. It's fine now.

Tobor

Let me turn it off, please! The rear touchpad succkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssss! At least make it optional. Move it to the front screen, have single tap for melee, and leave double tap for switching views.

The person at Sony responsible for adding that rear touch pad should be tarred and feathered.

SmokyDave

The person at Sony responsible for adding that rear touch pad should be tarred and feathered.

I totally agree. As soon as I read the controls included the rear touch I thought 'oh, there's something I'll accidentally trigger every farts end'. It's not going to put me off my purchase but I could cheerfully punch whoever green-lit the rear touchpad.

KillGore

How much is the PS3 version? $15?

I don't know why I have no problem using the indents in the back. I have large hands and my other devices I hold like agentotaku on the previous page but on Vita I just curl my fingers in line with the indents and I've never had a single problem. Does it just hurt your guys' hands when you hold it properly?

Same here, I have no problem holding the vita as sony intended. I have medium sized hands.

Skyzard

Banned
There is a proper way to hold it...need to squeeze at the sides. I keep forgetting - I still play it sometimes without grip (while charging usually).

--I also wouldn't mind being able to increase third-person camera sensitivity as well a tad.

--another tiny thing - at the bounty store when you choose a bounty, it asks you to accept it before you've even read the wanted poster, have to cancel first then re-select after read it - minor I know.

@VanWinkle, yeah that's how I'm holding it now, using the middle finger for punches.

@Tobor, do consider the CTA grip (video link)

VanWinkle

Just took a picture. This is the grip I'm talking about. I play hours like this.

iyAKpgWo4Rkc0.JPG

Tobor

I totally agree. As soon as I read the controls included the rear touch I thought 'oh, there's something I'll accidentally trigger every farts end'. It's not going to put me off my purchase but I could cheerfully punch whoever green-lit the rear touchpad.

At least Sony wised up and fixed the PS1 emulator. Now I can turn the pad off.

Going forward, I'm not purchasing a Vita game until I know the ass touch is optional, and can be turned off.

Just took a picture. This is the grip I'm talking about. I play hours like this.

Absolutely miserable. My hands hurt just looking at it.

It would be nice if they allowed a rear touch calibration of sorts. Allow you to shrink the touch panel so to speak, so that it doesn't trigger from touches where your fingers naturally sit. That way the only time it goes off is when you deliberately reach to use it.

VanWinkle

At least Sony wised up and fixed the PS1 emulator. Now I can turn the pad off.

Going forward, I'm not purchasing a Vita game until I know the ass touch is optional, and can be turned off.

Absolutely miserable. My hands hurt just looking at it.

So you've tried that and it hurts your hands? Can your fingers not bend?

Damn....played about 2,5 hours now and this game.....wow.
Aiming for ammo is a bit harder but hell...this is fun :D Gonna stop now...don't wanna rush through before the holidays. Awesome job JAW!

dark10x

Yep, it isn't as bad as people make it out to seem.
ibdqopVcT2pvii.jpg

thisisneogaf.gif
Heh, with the reflection of your monitor it looks like you have one of those old "Microsoft certificate of authorities" stuck on the back of your Vita.

OmegaZero

I just want to say that this is the best FPS on the Vita.
(Which isn't saying that much since there's only three, but still...)

Love the controls except the rear touch pad to melee. It works, but I touch the rear touchpad sometimes by accident, causing me to melee randomly.

Framerate is steady for the most part, but I've already experienced a noticeable framerate drop near the beginning here:
I dunno if it's from 40 to 30 or from 30 to lower, but it's pretty noticeable.

So far, the game looks and plays great. JAW did a great job on this port.
*goes back to playing Stranger's Wrath*

dark10x

Framerate is steady for the most part, but I've already experienced a noticeable framerate drop near the beginning here:
It drops in all of the same places as the PS3 version, interestingly. It's odd that those areas bottleneck both systems in the same way. Of course, the PS3 version runs at 60 fps most of the time while the Vita version is a bit lower (more like 35-40 fps with plenty of judder to go around).

OmegaZero

It drops in all of the same places as the PS3 version, interestingly. It's odd that those areas bottleneck both systems in the same way. Of course, the PS3 version runs at 60 fps most of the time while the Vita version is a bit lower (more like 35-40 fps with plenty of judder to go around).

Ah, that might explain things a bit.
You're better at gauging framerates then me, so how often would you say this runs above 30fs?

Alchemy

Let me turn it off, please! The rear touchpad succkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssss! At least make it optional. Move it to the front screen, have single tap for melee, and leave double tap for switching views.

It would be nice to be able to disable back touch, but I found it to be an awesome addition when playing Fifa (for directing goal shots) and Katamari (stretching/squishing the katamari). Not all games should use it, but its a nice addition. I like it more than waggle at least.

Tizoc

Don't you think the thread subtitle is a bit too spoilery...

Well the OT can be interpeted in 2 ways at least for those that know the game:
1- It can just be a jab at how you now have an Oddworld game on your handhled system
2- It's a jab at where the bounties you bag are ;)

kliklik

Banned
No, it's meant to sound like you're carrying the Vita in your pocket.
You pointing out that it's spoilery will probably do more to spoil things.

I don't know anyone who carries a vita in their pocket. I don't think it even fits. And to your second point, that's why I used spoiler tags.

scitek

I don't know anyone who carries a vita in their pocket. I don't think it even fits. And to your second point, that's why I used spoiler tags.

Right, so the concept of a handheld fitting in your pocket and the title being a cute joke isn't the point, it's really trying to maliciously ruin everyone's experience.

kliklik

Banned
Right, so the concept of a handheld fitting in your pocket and the title being a cute joke isn't the point, it's really trying to maliciously ruin everyone's experience.

jeez, I'm not saying it's malicious. I'm just saying
it hints at/foreshadows a major plot twist and maybe that's not the best thing to have in the thread title

scitek

jeez, I'm not saying it's malicious. I'm just saying
it hints at/foreshadows a major plot twist and maybe that's not the best thing to have in the thread title

Lol, that's what I'm saying, though. I've been playing the game for 7 years and
I didn't even catch the pun until you pointed it out.
I wouldn't worry.

Top Bottom