• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

KAL2006

Banned
Watching the videos this looks to be one of the best looking Vita games. I can't believe this is a cheap downloadable game. Will buy it soon from PSN (when does the sale expire its £7.50 with PSN+). The developers should think about releasing this for retail, maybe bundling it with Munchs Oddyssey.

Just started playing it on my vita, what a great an unique game! Wasn't sure if I wait and pick it up later, but after reading the comments I couldn't wait. And it's always great when developers stick around to answer questions.
But JAW has to promote it more, it looks and plays better than most of the bigger games on the system, though you cannot find a lot of vita specific reviews or news on major/mainstream gaming sites. I guess a lot of vita owners didn't hear abut it.

3 of them refused to review it since was also released on PS3 a year ago :(

It's quite a pain, we're asking our community to help us as much as possible, as we don't have much of a budget for advertising :(

Watching the videos this looks to be one of the best looking Vita games. I can't believe this is a cheap downloadable game. Will buy it soon from PSN (when does the sale expire its £7.50 with PSN+). The developers should think about releasing this for retail, maybe bundling it with Munchs Oddyssey.

The EU PS+ deal ends on Jan 9th

We're considering something at retail in partnership with SCEE, but time will tell.

OmegaZero

So there's no other Jails besides the one in the first town?

Also, after reading about it , I wish The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot got finished - since it supposedly has the same mix of third and first-person gameplay that Stranger's Wrath offers.

It would have been nice to see where OWI took that style of gameplay (assuming that they had a different system in place then live ammo).

3 of them refused to review it since was also released on PS3 a year ago :(

It's quite a pain, we're asking our community to help us as much as possible, as we don't have much of a budget for advertising :(

I'll post some screen shots on my Facebook. Not much I know, but I have some Vita friends on there. :)

Holy shit, is this game a looker. This may be one of the best looking games on Vita. I've only played the tutorial.

First impressions: the opening CG scene seems low quality and kinda pixelated. The music is phenomenal. NPC voices could have some diversity. Gameplay looks promising, and the switch to first/third is thankfully fluid.

I've always felt like FPS's could benefit if the player explored in 3rd person. The game world is suitably creepy. I thought the western motif would turn me off but I'm excited to explore more.

I bought this on PS3 already but stopped playing because plus took up my harddrive, i'll prbly get the Vita version when it hits plus discount in Mid-Jan.

Thanks GoldenHelmet for the transparency, makes buying the game an easier swallow especially on a limited budget.

First impressions: the opening CG scene seems low quality and kinda pixelated. The music is phenomenal. NPC voices could have some diversity. Gameplay looks promising, and the switch to first/third is thankfully fluid.

You're the 2nd person I've heard say this, I'm a little perplexed as the movies are effectively the same one from the PS3, except in MP4 instead of BINK format (makes them smaller, but with much better quality).

The movies are created from the original "frames" that OWI rendered off for the Xbox version back in the day, which are all 720x408 tif files.

The problem might be that we are upscaling them to 960x544 from the 720x408 16:9 mp4 files at runtime.

The PS3 version upscaled from 720x408 to 1280x720 but had MLAA on them, so it could be something as simple as the missing MLAA on them that gives that impression, but the really better versions a lot less artifacting for movies that are a 1/4 of the size of the original BINK files.

Thanks GoldenHelmet for the transparency, makes buying the game an easier swallow especially on a limited budget.

As I've said elsewhere I much prefer the honest approach to this stuff, I could just say give me your money or say nothing; but that isn't me and that isn't the way JAW operates.

Have a happy hol-odd-day ;-)

This game ...in my hands ...whenever I want:

dvT4T.jpg

bFtFb.jpg

zmkfF.jpg

Also, No-Kill with Palooka was a bitch!
Shit took me like 30 min

Yagharek

Between it's visuals and EXCELLENT twin stick FPS controls ...just fix the rear-touch =P

Yes, I can unequivocally say it is the best FPS on Vita

Period.

I would argue calling it an FPS is somewhat of an insult to the breadth of variety in the game, but if we're going that far I would call it my own personal favourite FPS.

Ever.

Beat the PS3 version today, incidentally. One weapon in particular is incredibly useful in the penultimate battle.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Unstable framerate is a bit of a bummer but it ain't that bad and man, does this game look great. And play's, ofcourse. Portable Stranger <3

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
just fix the rear-touch =P

hey I don't have problems with the rear touch ..shrink your hands or something :p

]Watching the videos this looks to be one of the best looking Vita games.[/B] I can't believe this is a cheap downloadable game. Will buy it soon from PSN (when does the sale expire its £7.50 with PSN+). The developers should think about releasing this for retail, maybe bundling it with Munchs Oddyssey.

Native res help so much here,it just make the IQ so much better.

Anyway Virtua Tennis 4 is still the best looking game on PSVita with solid 60fps,native res and 4xAA, also Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Wipeout 2048 are above,but yeah for DD only title Stranger's Wrath awesome port was really a surprised for me.

http://i.imgur.com/dvT4T.jpg?1
[img]http://i.imgur.com/zmkfF.jpg?1

[/QUOTE]

Getting full console experience everywhere is great,Sony has delivered on its Vita promise here.

I would argue calling it an FPS is somewhat of an insult to the breadth of variety in the game, but if we're going that far I would call it my own personal favourite FPS.

Ever.

Beat the PS3 version today, incidentally. One weapon in particular is incredibly useful in the penultimate battle.

lol, thats what makes it even better because the FPS bits are only part of the whole experience and it bests the current competition anyway.

Synless

In comparison to the PS3 version, how does the Vita version hold up? I have never played this game and will consider the Vita version of the PS3 if it is a solid port.

In comparison to the PS3 version, how does the Vita version hold up? I have never played this game and will consider the Vita version of the PS3 if it is a solid port.

I'd suggest reading back some of the posts in this thread, in particular the ones directly above this ;)

moogrose

I'm really enjoying this - first time I've played it, and it's great!

Thanks JAW for putting out such a quality title for Vita... Makes me giddy for both munch and new n tasty on my portable little friend!

SToRM

After reading the good comments and seeing the pictures I caved and bought the game. I've never played this game before, but I loved the first two Oddworld games on the PS1.
And besides that I think it will be a nice game to play on the Vita.

Tizoc

dvT4T.jpg

bFtFb.jpg

zmkfF.jpg

Also, No-Kill with Palooka was a bitch!
Shit took me like 30 min

One shouldn't bother with it against that boss, it's really a matter of luck, heck I'm surprised I managed to no-kill him in my recent playthrough @_@.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Ratpack Palooka is no matter of luck.
It's a matter of fast work, lot's of bees against the turrets and boombats.
Frigging boombats for a non-lethal takedown :p

pa22word

One shouldn't bother with it against that boss, it's really a matter of luck, heck I'm surprised I managed to no-kill him in my recent playthrough @.

Hm?

Load the spawn doors with traps, then drop the boombats that spawn in the right corner of the area. Now equip boombats and zapfly. Now "start" the fight by dropping his shield with charged zapflies, then as soon as he makes his way to the switch blast him with a charged zapfly. As soon as he gets up blast him with a boombat. Rinse repeat this process until you knock him off the stage, and then pummel him with thudslugs. I've never done it, but it seems on a perfect run using this strategy you should be able to kill him on his first shield drop. It's very unlikely you'll drop him on his first shield drop, but using this you'll at least drain 50-80% of his stamina on his first drop every single time if done correctly. If you do at least 60% he spawns the flamethrower dude, which is for the best due to as soon as he spawns he'll be swarmed by your fuzzels. Then you can easily finish him with 1/2 boombats and/or a a couple of thudslugs. As soon as you drop him go over and pick up the boombats you dropped earlier and disable Palooka's shield again. Zapfly/Boombat him until his stamina is gone (shouldn't take long) and then bounty him. yay!

Works every time for me.

Basically I got Palooka via rotation of boom bat + ZapFlies. One after the other in succession, timing it right between his animation cycles/wake-ups

Took me two shield drops when I finally nailed the rhythm

After reading the good comments and seeing the pictures I caved and bought the game. I've never played this game before, but I loved the first two Oddworld games on the PS1.
And besides that I think it will be a nice game to play on the Vita.

m1C1E.gif

Tizoc

@pa22word- Oh that's an interesting strategy, funnly enough I don't use Fuzzles a lot until the later half of the game lol. Will consider utilizing it in a future playthrough.

Skilletor

I bought this on PC about a year ago, before the HD update. I couldn't get it to run properly, but I guess that's been fixed now?

Seeing these screens is pushing me toward the Vita version...it looks gorgeous.

Dantis

I bought this on PC about a year ago, before the HD update. I couldn't get it to run properly, but I guess that's been fixed now?

It looks even better in person. Really excellent port.

You're the 2nd person I've heard say this, I'm a little perplexed as the movies are effectively the same one from the PS3, except in MP4 instead of BINK format (makes them smaller, but with much better quality).

The movies are created from the original "frames" that OWI rendered off for the Xbox version back in the day, which are all 720x408 tif files.

The problem might be that we are upscaling them to 960x544 from the 720x408 16:9 mp4 files at runtime.

The PS3 version upscaled from 720x408 to 1280x720 but had MLAA on them, so it could be something as simple as the missing MLAA on them that gives that impression, but the really better versions a lot less artifacting for movies that are a 1/4 of the size of the original BINK files.

Eh, it's sort of understandable since usually you have to rerender the videos (It's a problem for most HD collections) but it's kind of jarring compared to the rest of the game. It's the same way on PC, if you're playing on pc and you see the amount of detail and clarity in game and then see that it's a huge difference. It's sort of hard not to notice is all.

Ya, PC version is fine now so you should try downloading that again if you have time.

wouwie

Is there any good strategy for when you're facing a big amount of enemies? At some point in the city, there is a battle where a lot of enemies are chasing you. At that point, i feel that the "suck enemy up" strategy makes no sense at all. It takes way too long to suck up an enemy which means you're exposed to attacks from the enemies that surround you. Stealth doesn't seem an option either in that case.

I never played the originals and bought the game on Gaf's recommendation. Seems like a solid port and looks very nice (although way too brown for my taste but this isn't JAW's fault. I hope there is some variation in the world/color scheme later on). It's a fun game but i'm not always sure what the best strategy is.

OmegaZero

Ummm where is that pic taken? I don't recognise it, beyond the fact it's before New Yolk City?! at a guess.

I think it's the
waterfall cave leading to the forest before New Yolk City

One shouldn't bother with it against that boss, it's really a matter of luck, heck I'm surprised I managed to no-kill him in my recent playthrough @_@.

I beat
Packrat Palooka non-lethally by using Fuzzles on the doors leading to the stage, then blasting him off with a Boombat. Then I used Thudslugs and Zappflies to knock him away from the stage until his stamina depleted
Took me a bit to figure out you need to keep him away from the doors.

Also:
holy shit, Hard is hard. I don't think Stamina killing the bosses is going to be easy if Lootin' Duke is any indication.

Is there any good strategy for when you're facing a big amount of enemies? At some point in the city, there is a battle where a lot of enemies are chasing you. At that point, i feel that the "suck enemy up" strategy makes no sense at all. It takes way too long to suck up an enemy which means you're exposed to attacks from the enemies that surround you. Stealth doesn't seem an option either in that case.

I never played the originals and bought the game on Gaf's recommendation. Seems like a solid port and looks very nice (although way too brown for my taste but this isn't JAW's fault. I hope there is some variation in the world/color scheme later on). It's a fun game but i'm not always sure what the best strategy is.

The enemies are deliberately very dumb and believe it or not, you really can pick them off. Make sure you use your critters to lure them away (only one will wander off) and hide in tall grass. I've yet to go through an encounter where I simply could not do it.
I do agree there should have been a upgrade for Strangers little urn. Then again, it might have made things too easy and screwed up the whole risk versus reward aspect to it.

OmegaZero

Don't worry, it'll get more varied for sure.
Also, what battle are you talking about? I'll be able to give better help if I know where you are. :b

If the enemies are unaware of you, hide behind cover and draw them out one at a time with Chippunks until their ranks become more manageable.
If they are aware of you, get to a corner or area with cover and Bolamite up the first enemy that comes into your crosshairs. If there are any enemies following him, wrap up the next and shoot another with a charged Zappfly shot while your Bolamite reloads.
Or use a Skunkz to immobilize all of them for a few seconds.

If the enemies are snipers perched on a ledge, then there's no way you can collect them alive IIRC.

Rasec

Damn, been reading this topic and i loved seeing one of the developers answering our doubts and the general impressions of the users playing the game.

I'll see if i can get enough space on my card and i'll buy the game.

Kinda short on money but i guess this gem needs to be in my vita. *_*

pa22word

If the enemies are snipers perched on a ledge, then there's no way you can collect them alive IIRC.

If the fall's not too steep (+/- 15 feet or so) you can launch a fuzzle onto them and they'll run off the ledge and knock themselves out.

Sort of true. You sometimes can game the system and get them to leap off their ledges with some well placed fuzzes ....depending on how high they are though, they might leap to their deaths though lol

EDIT: beaten!

OmegaZero

If the fall's not too steep (+/- 15 feet or so) you can launch a fuzzle onto them and they'll run off the ledge and knock themselves out.

Sort of true. You sometimes can game the system and get them to leap off their ledges with some well placed fuzzes ....depending on how high they are though, they might leap to their deaths though lol

EDIT: beaten!

Awesome, thanks guys.
Everytime I tried that, they refused to run off of their ledges. Guess I was doing it wrong. :b

Oxn

After going through half the game I decided to buy the Steam version just to show support.

But I tried it, and it looked soo much better i decided to restart and play the Steam version. The colors are just sooo much better on PC.

OmegaZero

Speaking of the PC version, how does this compare to the PC version, graphically?
Is the HD-fied PC version identical to the PS3 version or does it have better models and textures?
That PC screen posted in the previous page made it seem like the Stranger model was more detailed, at least.

Also, I discovered that you can get onto the roof of Lootin' Dukes place and beat up those mortar outlaws.
And that there's a hidden area with moolah above that.

Why didn't I know about this on my first playthrough? ;_;

Ciastek3214

Speaking of the PC version, how does this compare to the PC version, graphically?
Is the HD-fied PC version identical to the PS3 version or does it have better models and textures?
That PC screen posted in the previous page made it seem like the Stranger model was more detailed, at least.

I think the models and textures are the same as PS3 version. Of course, the framerate, resolution, and all that are better in PC version. Also, dat 16x SSAA.

Top Bottom