• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

Derrick01

Banned
I've only played about an hour but I really like it, I never did get to play this in the past. Props to the devs for getting this to run at a pretty stable 30 and it looks really good too.

Also want to salute putting a full trophy list and a platinum in this. I won't lie it's what pushed me over the edge to buying it on tuesday as I was debating between this and LBP Vita. So many HD remakes that don't get a disc release have the basic arcade trophy list even though they're 12-20 hour games like beyond good and evil and RE4.

PowderedToast

is there a way to play this well? i keep scraping through nearly every encounter

probably cos it requires more than press 'a' to win, i am spoiled

is there a way to play this well? i keep scraping through nearly every encounter

Be creative and pick apart the enemies. If you muck it up, just run off and come back. No penalty for doing so. The writing deliberately paints the enemies as dumb, hence getting distracted by critters, not being able to swim, etc.

Gotta take your time though. It isn't really an action game and if it is, it certainly isn't fun that way ...at least not for me.

Psy-Phi

Be creative and pick apart the enemies. If you muck it up, just run off and come back. No penalty for doing so. The writing deliberately paints the enemies as dumb, hence getting distracted by critters, not being able to swim, etc.

Gotta take your time though. It isn't really an action game and if it is, it certainly isn't fun that way ...at least not for me.

There's a huge shift in the gameplay about 2/3 of the way through where it turns into an action game though. But yeah, before then you take your time with enemies. Or just learn how to do hit and run constantly. They are stupid and will forget about you when you run off far enough and hide in a bush, and the ability to literally shake off damage means you can be stupid and run in guns blazing so long as you know when to run off to heal.

OmegaZero

Use tall grass and Chippunks to your advantage as much as possible, and try to thin their ranks by taking them out one at a time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's this talk about a PSN+ discount? Am I missing something, or is Golden Helmet hinting at a future discount?

It has a PS+ discount in the Uk at least. I think golden helmet said they tried for one in the US but there wasn't space for one? Sounded odd but I guess they try to have a limited number of discounted items at a time,

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Try playing the pacifist on hard :p
But yeah, like the GAF'ers before me said, pick 'em off one by one, and have patience. The Zappfly is your friend :)

Does need some getting used to though, in a good way.

Yagharek

I forgot how hard this game is. I'm up to the third town and bounties are hard to get non-lethally and there are some seriously nasty guns in said bounties' hands.

I love punching the chickens too.

Im so close to buying this. Someone post something or an impression to push me over the edge.

Well i'm at work so I can't post any nice pics, though I swear every other area is pic worthy.

I will say I'm so elated with what Just Add Water is doing with this IP.

Basically I never really gave any time to the Oddworld franchise. I remember finding the initial Abe games pretty rad back when I was 14, but just didn't get around to actually playing them.

Now playing Stranger's Wrath, I'm having a great time finding out why the property was such a darling. It's uncompromising in it's originality. The artwork, characters, etc. (Which, probably could be initially off putting for some)
Like I just read that these games take place all the same planet, which is supposed to be 7 times the size of earth... I dunno, I'm just really enjoying discovering what Oddworld inhabitants created so many years back and I can now understand why people like Lorne Lanning are STILL so passionate about it and wanna keep it alive. It really deserves it. I plan on buying the PSX games just on principle in the coming weeks.

Stranger's Wrath is only $15 for what is clearly a fucking passion project for the studio, of which I believe you can count it's number of members on just one hand.

I bought the PS3 version back when it was released. At that time, it was merely out of respect and a vague understanding of what the property really was. Bought it this time again on Vita because I find it flat out amazing/fascinating that THIS game is fully there, represented, on a damn portable.

Just buy it already man, do the right thing...

$15 ...Like half a tank of gas costs more, and presumably won't last you nearly as long.

scitek

Well i'm at work so I can't post any nice pics, though I swear every other area is pic worthy.

Basically I never really gave any time to the Oddworld franchise. I remember finding the initial Abe games pretty rad back when I was 14, but just didn't get around to actually playing them.

Now playing Stranger's Wrath, I'm having a great time finding out why the property was such a darling. It's uncompromising in it's originality. The artwork, characters, etc. (Which, probably could be initially off putting for some)
Like I just read that these games take place all the same planet, which is supposed to be 7 times the size of earth... I dunno, I'm just really enjoying discovering what Oddworld inhabitants created so many years back and I can now understand why people like Lorne Lanning are STILL so passionate about it and wanna keep it alive. It really deserves it. I plan on buying the PSX games just on principle in the coming weeks.

Stranger's Wrath is only $15 for what is clearly a fucking passion project for the studio, of which I believe you can count it's number of members on just one hand.

I bought the PS3 version back when it was released. At that time, it was merely out of respect and a vague understanding of what the property really was. Bought it this time again on Vita because I find it flat out amazing/fascinating that THIS game is fully there, represented, on a damn portable.

$15 ...Like half a tank of gas costs more, and presumably won't last you nearly as long.
Lanning had originally planned on doing an animated movie after closing the development studio, but it never happened. I wish it had, their cutscene work was always amazing. It's like Dreamworks-level shit, and this was in 2005.

Yagharek

I dunno, I'm just really enjoying discovering what Oddworld inhabitants created so many years back and I can now understand why people like Lorne Lanning are STILL so passionate about it and wanna keep it alive. It really deserves it. I plan on buying the PSX games just on principle in the coming weeks.

Just to add to this, its also the kind of game that you can tell has been made with some heart to it. It's very hard to compare it to other games in the sense of how honest it is in trying to tell a message, even though it is covered over slightly with slapstick and toilet humour, and wild west tropes.

To me the closet touchstones to it are Beyond Good and Evil and Half Life 2. Not that it plays like those two games, but for the following reasons.

Beyond Good and Evil tells a story that is really about the personal scale of a character. Not about saving the world or the universe, but fighting for what is dear to them. And like BG&E, the writing and characterisation is good enough to pull it off.

With Half Life 2, you have a coherent world, where all the architecture feels like a natural city, built and repurposed as a result of the history of alien invasions and fascism. In Oddworld, the entirety of the landscape has its own purpose for being the way it is. It never feels contrived (maybe ever so slightly on first playthrough, until you see the ending and context is added, then it makes much more sense).

The game was clearly a labour of love for Oddworld Inhabitants and JAW. It's hard as nails later on, and it has so many strategies for how to tackle each area (kind of like MGS3).

You will not come across a game anything like it. If you value originality, please play it.

You can punch chickens.

Just to add to this, its also the kind of game that you can tell has been made with some heart to it. It's very hard to compare it to other games in the sense of how honest it is in trying to tell a message, even though it is covered over slightly with slapstick and toilet humour, and wild west tropes.

To me the closet touchstones to it are Beyond Good and Evil and Half Life 2. Not that it plays like those two games, but for the following reasons.

Beyond Good and Evil tells a story that is really about the personal scale of a character. Not about saving the world or the universe, but fighting for what is dear to them. And like BG&E, the writing and characterisation is good enough to pull it off.

With Half Life 2, you have a coherent world, where all the architecture feels like a natural city, built and repurposed as a result of the history of alien invasions and fascism. In Oddworld, the entirety of the landscape has its own purpose for being the way it is. It never feels contrived (maybe ever so slightly on first playthrough, until you see the ending and context is added, then it makes much more sense).

The game was clearly a labour of love for Oddworld Inhabitants and JAW. It's hard as nails later on, and it has so many strategies for how to tackle each area (kind of like MGS3).

You will not come across a game anything like it. If you value originality, please play it.

Lanning had originally planned on doing an animated movie after closing the development studio, but it never happened. I wish it had, their cutscene work was always amazing. It's like Dreamworks-level shit, and this was in 2005.

Sold.

Yagharek

Which one are you getting? Vita or PS3 version? Both imo are showcases for their respective systems, but just curious to see.

Which one are you getting? Vita or PS3 version? Both imo are showcases for their respective systems, but just curious to see.

Vita. I hardly touch my home consoles now. All portable for me. Luckily some of the pics posted here and YouTube clips seem to illustrate a gorgeous looking game.

Yagharek

Cool. Ive been playing both on and off this week, and Vita version is a technical marvel for the system. PS3 version is technically better, but I personally can't discern anything missing in the Vita version.

I will offer one pro-tip for you when playing: exercise caution. You'll find out if you don't in any case :p

If I buy this with PS+ discount, will the game get locked once my sub runs out?

If it's free yes, but this is just a PS+ discount off of full price, so once you buy, you keep no matter what

So yeah, just bountied Jo' Mamma ....no kill either, feels great!

Lovin' this (^___^)

highrider

Banned
having a game like this on the vita is kind of magical. i loved this game on xbox and the vita version is so tight visually that i can fully appreciate the depth of the design. at 15 bucks it feels like a gift. buy it.

ups! here a tank of gas is 100$...

As posted in the Vita thread, here's some more Stranger's Wrath Love:

nodI8.jpg
d0q9B.jpg
ihGnr.jpg

QWNqD.jpg
Clz3x.jpg
3gxaY.jpg

iISeL.jpg
7k7DU.jpg
ak0H9.jpg

Yep it really looks nice - as evident from this and P4 - Vita is a perfect place for PS2 era remakes/ports.

PS. Maybe put images into quote tag then they will be more or less vita screen sized

Yagharek

Holy shit some of these later bounties are brutal to try and capture alive.

Suffice to say, I've killed them all in a desperate attempt to survive.

pa22word

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the soundtrack audio cutting out? The general sound such as guns firing or the ammo isn't affected, but the ost playing in the backdrop likes to cut out randomly.

Also, the skyboxes are flickering.

I don't know if this has been asked and answered. Does this game have any cross play with the PS3 version?

I haven't played my PS3 version in a while, so I started it up, and a new patch with 3D and Move Support. Makes it a great value.

pa22word

This looks amazing. All games need to be native res.

I'd rather games go the MK route and say "fuck it, our game will look like ass but run @ 60fps", but that's just me...

Playing MGS2 @ 30 fps on the vita was so incredibly disappointing, for instance.

I don't know if this has been asked and answered. Does this game have any cross play with the PS3 version?

No. I think there's a discount for owning the PS3v, though.

Yagharek

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the soundtrack audio cutting out? The general sound such as guns firing or the ammo isn't affected, but the ost playing in the backdrop likes to cut out randomly.

Also, the skyboxes are flickering.

I had a couple of sondtrack dropouts today on the ps3 version. I assume it was because I was on the border of a conflict scenario versus a clear room/no alerts. This is also in a section of the game where there are multiple rooms all next to each other with guards in them. So the music switched between ambient to action notes.

Mind you, I cant remember if that was in the xbox version or not. I do remember the xbox version had very low sample rates for dialogue, which made it hard to hear clackers speaking. Neither ps3 or vita seem to have that at least.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'd rather games go the MK route and say "fuck it, our game will look like ass but run @ 60fps", but that's just me...

but MK is extreme case really, Vita is not that weak and devs don't need to make their games look like garbage like MK7 to run at solid frame rate, just look at Marvel vs Capcom it got native res and 60fps and didn't sacrificed much,All Stars too and VT4 is also another great example for this.

OmegaZero

Just beat this on Normal. Dat
ending
This game feels ancient in a good way.
Like it came from a time when developer's weren't afraid to try new things and experiment (though Oddworld games have always toed that line between brilliantly creative and just plain weird).

Everything works together brilliantly, even the
shift in pace at the halfway point
I think this is one of my GOTYs.

Anyway, yes, I've experienced flickering skyboxes and one point where the sound cut out and started over again. In my Hard playthrough, I think I'll screenshot the offending areas.

Also, these mushrooms are glitchy. From the side, they look normal:
gFber.jpg

From the top, however:
SxpjT.jpg

What's this talk about a PSN+ discount? Am I missing something, or is Golden Helmet hinting at a future discount?

SCEE have a discount right now, that lasts until Jan 9th.

SCEA will have a Discount from mid-Jan.

They (SCEA) had their Dec-Jan discounts already arranged.

It will be a 25% discount

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
SCEE have a discount right now, that lasts until Jan 9th.

SCEA will have a Discount from mid-Jan.

They (SCEA) had their Dec-Jan discounts already arranged.

It will be a 25% discount
Thanks for the transparency. But because I mostly act in my own self-interest I'm going to wait until it's discounted.

In my defense, I bought it day 1 for PS3!

Hey Stewart, how many people coded this?

The VITA version had ............ ONE Programmer on it!

Pete Memmott who coded the VITA version was also responsible for the bulk of the PS3 Optimisations!

None of the ingame assets, were altered from the PS3 version, apart from EXTRA polys on the foliage, to reduce the amount of ALPHA tests we had to do on the hardware.

The rest of the work on the VITA version was the UI.

Skyzard

Banned
The VITA version had ............ ONE Programmer on it!

Pete Memmott who coded the VITA version was also responsible for the bulk of the PS3 Optimisations!

What the...was he okay afterwards?

When we get back in the New Year we're actually doing a couple of things for Stranger's Wrath HD...

A VITA update with some tweaks, and a couple of fixes (inc. the flickering sky), and a new feature (A first for ANY Oddworld title)

Also a PS3 update, or should I say a NEW PS3 version, that will be a lot smaller, around 1.5GB, a few updates and tweaks, and the same feature the VITA version is getting.

We hope you all will like it, and that it will open up a level of community challenge ;-)

Top Bottom