• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

VanWinkle

One programmer on Vita port? What on earth. Keep that guy forever.

When we get back in the New Year we're actually doing a couple of things for Stranger's Wrath HD...

A VITA update with some tweaks, and a couple of fixes (inc. the flickering sky), and a new feature (A first for ANY Oddworld title)

Also a PS3 update, or should I say a NEW PS3 version, that will be a lot smaller, around 1.5GB, a few updates and tweaks, and the same feature the VITA version is getting.

We hope you all will like it, and that it will open up a level of community challenge ;-)

Love you guys.

Oxn

Can you tell us if the sales for the vita version is so far meeting your expectations?

Id hate for vita to miss out on future projects.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That does it. I don't know if i'm actually starting the game now, but I do know that Vita version is mine.

I love you guy's (and gals) and as stated earlier, you deserve my moolah.
IMO your on the same level as DoubleFine and i'm a massive Schafer fan, so take that as a compliment.
And give that programmer a big hug, seriously. Crazy stuff.

That does it. I don't know if i'm actually starting the game now, but I do know that Vita version is mine.

I love you guy's (and gals) and as stated earlier, you deserve my moolah.
IMO your on the same level as DoubleFine and i'm a massive Schafer fan, so take that as a compliment.
And give that programmer a big hug, seriously. Crazy stuff.

Consider it given! :)

And thank you, for that amazing complement, I REALLY appreciate it :)

Happy Hol-ODD-Days

VanWinkle

Unknown, we won't get figures at all until around Jan 4th, AT THE EARLIEST, likely the week after.

I really hope it at the VERY LEAST meets your expectations (although I'd obviously love for it to massively exceed them hehe) because I'd love for you guys to continue bringing games of this quality over to the Vita.

I really hope it at the VERY LEAST meets your expectations (although I'd obviously love for it to massively exceed them hehe) because I'd love for you guys to continue bringing games of this quality over to the Vita.

We've already announced 2, and we're looking at a 3rd ;)

Announced so far are...

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD (Feb 2013)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N' Tasty (Holiday Season 2013)

VanWinkle

We've already announced 2, and we're looking at a 3rd ;)

Announced so far are...

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD (Feb 2013)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N' Tasty (Holiday Season 2013)

I know, but I was scared that the sales here would be disappointing and then you'd cancel the Vita version of those :-(

will be buying this in a day or 2 when im back on home soil. bought this for ps3 but never got around to playing it, happy to see that such care was but in the vita version which is where i primarily do most of my gaming now, so i'll gladly double dip

VanWinkle

Just saw on the Vita US PS Store that this is the second highest rated Vita game ever after Persona 4 (4.97/5). It's sitting at 4.93/5 with almost 200 ratings. Very very cool.

Hey,
thanks for the support. As a small publisher we really can't afford to give stuff away for free.

Cheers

nah i know. for as much as people say games are overpriced these days we sure are spoiled. infact i will even purchase the game today knowing that it is coming up as a PSN+ sale next month and i am a psn+ member!

Withnail

When we get back in the New Year we're actually doing a couple of things for Stranger's Wrath HD...

A VITA update with some tweaks, and a couple of fixes (inc. the flickering sky), and a new feature (A first for ANY Oddworld title)

Also a PS3 update, or should I say a NEW PS3 version, that will be a lot smaller, around 1.5GB, a few updates and tweaks, and the same feature the VITA version is getting.

We hope you all will like it, and that it will open up a level of community challenge ;-)

Wow, nice. I don't own a Vita but bought the PS3 version day 1 after being a huge fan of this game since the Xbox days. Still one of my all time favourites. Can't wait to hear what the new feature is.

From the hint I'm guessing leaderboards or something.

The Vita version looks awesome! You should talk to SCEA/Naughty Dog about porting the original Jak & Daxter to Vita:)

Oh god yes

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but if you hold the touchscreen for a second, it brings up the pause menu so you don't have to use to buttons :)

OmegaZero

FREE, FREE!

I wish the game would have
it's story continued would really like to see Sekto get what he deserves, that filthy parastic ass >=/

Yeah, me too. Ah well...

The VITA version had ............ ONE Programmer on it!

Pete Memmott who coded the VITA version was also responsible for the bulk of the PS3 Optimisations!

None of the ingame assets, were altered from the PS3 version, apart from EXTRA polys on the foliage, to reduce the amount of ALPHA tests we had to do on the hardware.

The rest of the work on the VITA version was the UI.

Wow, kudos to Pete. So this is identical to the PS3 version except the foilage? Reviewers were claiming that it was more "jagged" but I guess that's due to the lack of AA. :b

JAW looks to be delivering again, nice.
Along with the flickering sky glitch, maybe you could fix this really annoying glitch during the final level
when catapults are assaulting the dam
. This fire-ish effect keeps flickering rapidly where Stranger is (in TPS view) as the
catapult projectile sound plays
. It's in the area where you face two
Shock Tanks
at once.

pa22word

@Stewart (GoldenHelmet)

Is that a deathmatch mode I smell :O?! Oh, and will the PC version be receiving the extra feature as well?

Another thing:

I've been receiving static-y feedback in my headphones whenever the waterfall's sound bite plays.

VanWinkle

I'm betting it's something along the lines of a score attack mode with a online leaderboard.

Yeah, which would still be awesome. A deathmatch type thing seems way too ambitious and they're working on other stuff too as a small team, so it would take too much time/effort. Still anything competitive to add longevity sounds great to me!

Shai-Tan

Banned
I haven't played Oddworld since the first few games. I don't know why I missed it when it made the transition to 3d but I'm glad it's not a port of yet another game I've played already. I'm also clueless about the gameplay but I think I don't want to know and will go into it blind.

Tizoc

Also, NOT PC, but it will be linked between VITA and PS3 ;-)

My guess iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis:
Cross save between Vita and PS3
You can play SW on your PS3 with the Vita as a controller
You can play the game co-op with 2 Stranger's one on Vita the other on the PS3

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just started Stranger's Wrath on Vita. Some minor framerate hicks at the beginning but that doesn't really matter. What does matter, it looks absolutely gorgeous, it has the same great atmosphere, play's absolutely phenomenal and it made me realize something:

I fucking love videogames! <3

I'm so pumped right now. Forgot how great the music is!

Goldrusher

no cross-save because the save is too big

no cross-buy because of this:

one of the reasons we're not doing a Cross-Buy as a LOAD of people got it for Free in EU on PS3, so that would mean they'd all get it for free, we REALLY can't afford that :(

But what explains the lack of a shared trophy list?

So many different situations:

Knytt ---------------> how it should be
- 1 purchase
- 1 save
- 1 set of trophies

MotorStorm
- 1 purchase
- 1 save
- 2 sets of identical trophies

Battle Royale:
- 1 purchase if you buy the PS3-version
- 2 saves, but with shared online stats

Oddworld:
- 2 purchases
- 2 saves

MLB 12:
- 2 purchases
- 2 saves, but with shared online stats
- 2 sets of different trophies

Maxwood

I don't mind getting the same trophies twice.
Not at all :D

no cross-save because the save is too big

no cross-buy because of this:

But what explains the lack of a shared trophy list?

So many different situations:

I know the boss at Ripstone, they do their products that way because they have much smaller budgets than we do.

Also we felt people would prefer two sets of trophies.

In future titles we WILL be supporting Cross Saves, as well as the possibility of cross Trophies.

janisar

Neo Member
Just started playing it on my vita, what as great an unique game! Wasn't sure if I pick it up later, but after reading the comments I couldn't wait. And it's always great when developers stick around to answer questions.
But JAW has to promote it more, it looks and plays better than most of the bigger games on the system, though you cannot find a lot of vita specific reviews or news on major/mainstream gaming sites. I guess a lot of vita owners didn't hear abut it, but they should.

Top Bottom