• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Oh man, I loved this game back in the day. The port to the vita is really good too. I need tp pick one up just so I can play this again.

Ran rp

Damn that Meagly Mcgraw!
LLShC.gif

XaosWolf

Picked up the PC release back when it was plagued with the water FX issues on my ATi.

So picked this up on the Vita to finally get dug in... and good gravy is this a good looking game on this thing. The aiming'll take a little getting used to (One axis is faster than the other by the look of it) but I can always manage.

Outstanding job, guys. Cannot wait for more Odd things at E3. =D

So... Bounties Alive. No exceptions. LET'S DO THIS.

Bosses in this game are awesome.And it has a tactical feel in the way you approach them that I love.Old school possibilities in the gameplay that make the game less on rails that recent similar formulas.

Oxn

Picked up the PC release back when it was plagued with the water FX issues on my ATi.

So picked this up on the Vita to finally get dug in... and good gravy is this a good looking game on this thing. The aiming'll take a little getting used to (One axis is faster than the other by the look of it) but I can always manage.

Outstanding job, guys. Cannot wait for more Odd things at E3. =D

So... Bounties Alive. No exceptions. LET'S DO THIS.

The pc version has been updated to HD.

It looks freaking amazing.

Grisby

I'm sad to say I never played this on Xbox. I had a friend bugging me to give this a go and kept telling me about a crazy twist that happens. I had never played an Oddworld game before and didn't think this would be another Beyond Good and Evil deal.

Man, was I wrong. I'm at the second town and am loving this. The live ammo, the continuous feel of a 'journey' and not knowing whats going to happen next. It's my first Oddworld game so I'm a bit lost on any back lore, not that there seems to be any included so far.

Looks absolutely gorgeous on the vita too and plays like a dream. The framerate can get a little chuggy but not nearly on the level of other vita games.

My only deal is that they went a bit too Eastwood with the Stranger. He sounds a bit slow in the head or something. You know, you never go full Clint and all that.

Ran rp

So I take it you've not found his weakness then? :)

I was able to bounty him alive but I don't think my method was designed to work the way it did. What I did was climb the rope in the building near the farm entrance then try to get Mcgraw to hide behind something. I'd then shoot him with a fully charged zapfly which would make him take cover again. As soon as he stepped out I'd shoot him again and repeat the process until he his stamina bar was nearly empty. Then I jumped down, ran over to him, finished him off with zapflies and thudslugs, then bountied him.

XaosWolf

The pc version has been updated to HD.

It looks freaking amazing.

Was going to update it, but I think HD as well as Portable is better for now.
Though I will have a look at it and see how it is now. I will miss the KBAM for this game though =P

Oxn

Was going to update it, but I think HD as well as Portable is better for now.
Though I will have a look at it and see how it is now. I will miss the KBAM for this game though =P

Im finishing it on easy on the vita, and replaying it on pc. I already started.

Carl

Stuck to my word and bought this and Munch with PSN money i got for Christmas. Not got around to playing either yet, but i will!

You're welcome, Stewart :p

Grisby

:) Mongo Valley is my fave level :)
Not saying that I didn't dig the graphics earlier on but I too have a fondness for forest/green levels. The lead in to New Yolk City had me smiling.

I find the water ripples to also be impressive considering this was on the xbox.

Wish every port got the love and care this game did. I've only played an hour and really like it but don't know if I'll have much time to put into it. I just wanted to support the developers for the great work on the port.

Thank you sir, that means a lot!

I just want to say that seeing this kind of developer interaction is what sells me on games. This series is already good to begin with, but to see how much TLC has been put into the PS3 and Vita versions...I'm sold. I can't afford to double-dip, but I'll be picking this up in January some time for my Vita.

Looking forward to Munch's Oddysee HD early next year as well :D

This is a phenomenal port. I am completely addicted to P4 right now but I find myself booting this up just to mess around because everything feels and looks so great. Sony needs to buy these guys especially since I would imagine a lot of technical proficiency was required to get this to look so great and play so well on the pad.

This is a phenomenal port. I am completely addicted to P4 right now but I find myself booting this up just to mess around because everything feels and looks so great. Sony needs to buy these guys especially since I would imagine a lot of technical proficiency was required to get this to look so great and play so well on the pad.

lol, these guys = like 2-3 people

wouwie

Don't worry, it'll get more varied for sure.
Also, what battle are you talking about? I'll be able to give better help if I know where you are. :b

The battle i'm talking about is Boilz Booty. Still haven't managed to get past it despite watching some walkthrough videos. So i sort of gave up on it.

So I made the mistake of accidentally picking up sniper rounds ...now zoom is permanently mapped to the touch pad again, despite not having the Binocs :(

I don't have an older save to revert back to either...

Hope the patch comes sooner than later ( ._.)

So I made the mistake of accidentally picking up sniper rounds ...now zoom is permanently mapped to the touch pad again, despite not having the Binocs :(

I don't have an older save to revert back to either...

Hope the patch comes sooner than later ( ._.)

So what should we do with Binos/Sniper rifle then?

So what should we do with Binos/Sniper rifle then?

thats a great question!

some suggestions:

Up/down on the dpad for zoom in/out when in 1st person?

map ammo select to left or right on dpad?

melee mapped O button?

tap front screen once for reload ala Unit 13? (I think the reload function is mostly useless myself, but not your design choice i know)

Hold touch screen to rejuv health instead of triangle

front touch screen for zoom ala MGS3 vita?

just have an option to toggle off backtouch completely?

map reload to square. Specifically tap though. Still hold for capture jar.

utilize 4 quadrants of front touch screen ala PSP/PSX emulator. This one is surprisingly useful and just awesome. example of how mine is set:

upper left = L2
upper right = R2
lower left = select
lower right = start

ultimate solution: fully customizable controls and also probably the cheapest right? No having to do new art for layout screen, etc.

The biggest culprits I can see from looking at the current layout are the Dpad, Triangle, and Circle. They are just kinda of waisted. Could be either used for something else or map more actions to them. ESPECIALLY the dpad.

let me just say I really appreciate you asking man (^___^)

this was all typed up on mah vita btw lol

Tobor

thats a great question!

some suggestions:

Up/down on the dpad for zoom in/out when in 1st person?

map ammo select to left or right on dpad?

melee mapped O button?

tap front screen once for reload ala Unit 13? (I think the reload function is mostly useless myself, but not your design choice i know)

Hold touch screen to rejuv health instead of triangle

front touch screen for zoom ala MGS3 vita?

just have an option to toggle off backtouch completely?

map reload to square. Specifically tap though. Still hold for capture jar.

utilize 4 quadrants of front touch screen ala PSP/PSX emulator. This one is surprisingly useful and just awesome. example of how mine is set:

upper left = L2
upper right = R2
lower left = select
lower right = start

ultimate solution: fully customizable controls and also probably the cheapest right? No having to do new art for layout screen, etc.

The biggest culprits I can see from looking at the current layout are the Dpad, Triangle, and Circle. They are just kinda of waisted. Could be either used for something else or map more actions to them. ESPECIALLY the dpad.

let me just say I really appreciate you asking man (^___^)

this was all typed up on mah vita btw lol

Any of these options would work for me. The right answer is anywhere but the rear touchpad. :)

Grisby

So...just got to the 'twist' bit. Should have seen that coming a mile a way. Still, wow. That was pretty neat. Now the game has taken a turn for the crazy. Love it.

Major spoilers:
The hunter becomes the hunted
was a brilliant little bit.

Bukana

Ok, this game is so awesome and fun to play.
Stewart from JAW was very kind to give me the game for free because I bought the PS3 version but played for like one hours after I found out there's a Vita version, such nice people.

Finished the game on Hard, what a journey, very underrated, and it's a much better experience on the Vita than when I played it on the original XBOX. I took too many screenshots, environments were very nice.

One thing that really bothered me was the rear touch, ugh, it's just useless and kills the fun, on the other hand, the screen touch stuff were a good fit.

JAW should make this a Vita series, it has such potential, when they make a sequel (which I doubt) I hope they do these things:

-Clear & varied voice acting.
-Clean and simple UI.
-Skills (walking through the wall for example)
-Day/Night.
-More interactive world and environments.
-A Sidekick maybe? I don't something that makes Stranger different than the others.

I know it's a lot of stuff but I hope they make a sequel within Vita's hardware.

just got to
the assault on Last Legs

THIS GAME!

Wish i could post some pics of these environments, but dont wanna spoil the surprise

Yagharek

just got to
the assault on Last Legs

THIS GAME!

Wish i could post some pics of these environments, but dont wanna spoil the surprise

Cant wait to see later impressions about some tough bits later on. I won't spoil it but please post how you go.

I finished it last week. Still one of the greatest games I've ever played. I love it so much.

Tizoc

BTW Have you guys found the Easter Eggs to previous Oddworld titles?

Actually I wanted to ask about that
The meat barrels don't really contain ACTUAL Mudokon Pops right? ...and Clackers eat meat? What the what now? I didn't know about Buttflo til I started Munch tho haha.

Ocaso

Wow thank you :)

Gotta take the opportunity to share my love with JAW for reviving Oddworld and giving Strangers Wrath the second opportunity it deserved. I haven't played the Vita version yet since I already bought it for both Steam and PS3 (played through and completed hard mode, BTW, which was a refreshing AND infuriating addition!), but given all the praise it's receiving I hope to get a chance for yet another playthrough in portable form in the future. Looking forward to the future of Oddworld, and hope some new titles get announced soon.

Finished

Man, that was glorious! It's always wonderful to know exactly when you're experiencing something truly special. You just know it and that's how I felt with Stranger's Wrath. I would find myself playing in on my vita on the couch for HOURS at a time. I got gaming A.D.D, so that in itself is quite a large compliment.
Here's my breakdown:

Pros:

+ Perfect fusion of 3rd/1st person gameplay. Never was this internally debated with me. It always felt natural and I didn't want either or.
+ A truly great gameplay loop and lends itself to portable play.
At least up until the twist, hehe
+ Wonderful realized world that, while could have used a little more detail as far as lore (yeah, I know, gotta play the prior games), never ceased to be charming and refreshing.
+ Stranger's arc is fantastic. I tell you what man
when his boots are stripped from him and it's revealed he has those skinny, vulnerable looking legs, I felt genuine, I don't know, sorrow I guess. Fucking powerful scene and really nailed the tone of now him being the one that's vulnerable and hunted.
+ Can't believe it just occurred to me, but there's almost no loading in this game. Pretty nuts when you think about how seamless one area connects to the other.
+ Music hits all the right notes (lawl). Ominous but does what it needs to when the time comes.
+ Despite some misfires early on IE: fart jokes which I hate, the game is still genuinely funny. I almost always laughed when I ran into the suicide bombers and they started screaming at you lol
+ Yup, best FPS on the vita by a mile

Cons:

- Framerate got really bad during the last fight. Like single digits. But hey, I'm not to sour on it considering everything else the game does on a freakin' handheld
- Rear-touch needs to go, but I think our friends at JAW are listenin' (^__^)

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Stranger's Wrath is truly a perfect gaming experience and it's a fucking travesty that it's pretty much fallen to the way side.
This is the shit the industry needs, not more military bro shooters, or tired Zelda sequels, or Mario rehashes, or another goddamn God of War, or ...well you get my point, sorry

I guess I'll fool around with the PS3 version during the day (playthrough determined it was age appropriate for my 9 year old) while I wait for the vita patch to land.

Top Bottom