• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NBA2K9 GAF Season 7 Thread of High Hopes

daw840

charsace said:
1) You don't call plays nor wait for your players to use screens. Even if you want to run uptempo there are playbooks that allow for uptempo play.

2) You run your pg up the court on inbounds to fuck with the ai defenders and then pass it to the man that slips through the defense for an easy basket.

3) You were hesitant to shoot midrange jumpers even though I would back off you and a few times I left you wide open.

4) Pump fake chucking from three (house and ray allen). If the first two pump fakes didn't work you would do it a few more times.

5) Kevin Garnett. On offense you just ran past me and the offensive awareness rating for garnett just caused my guys to let him go. You also ran through me 4 times. Garnett literally phased through me. On defense when I got into the paint I don't think you ever changed to garnett to contest a shot. Garnett's defensive rating just negated most layups and any good screens ran off his side of the court resulted in misses because 2k makes the court small and it allows bigs with good defensive awareness to be in range of shooters and lower the shot success rate.

6) Your pg never saw the ball off of defensive rebounds until I started stealing your outlet passes.

7) In your halfcourt sets the only players that dribbled the ball were Allen, Pierce, and Garnett.

1.) I usually run auto plays. I attempt to use them as planned, but a lot of times they break down. I will admit I am not very good at running plays.

2.) Uh, not real sure what you mean here. I do usually try to get up the court as fast as possible mainly because a lot of the people that I played previously would get my PG to do that retarded animation that gives you a back court violation.

3.) That all depends on who has the ball. If Perkins or Powe or any of my bench has the ball I am a little hesitant because I don't really know their release and they are 50% at best in non paint situations.

4.) One or two pumps is typically all I do, maybe a 3rd.

5.) As for KG, just deal with him like you would LeBron. Oh wait, you can't. Because he is a beast and can score at will. As for switching to him. I was in man to man the entire game, when you drive to the hoop with your players I would try to stay with him, KG was just coming over to help and guess what? He helps a lot. Sorry for that. My team is rated 99 in defense.

6.) Because my SF and SG were usually leaking past your defenders. Of course I am going to try and capitalize.

7.) This is bullshit because I can't hardly stand Pierce and can't seem to do dick with him. Look at the stats, I don't use him even near his potential. Of course I am going to stick with Allen and KG. Who would you rather me use? Perkins? Powe? Maybe one of my bench scrubs? Come one man.

charsace

daw840 said:
1.) I usually run auto plays. I attempt to use them as planned, but a lot of times they break down. I will admit I am not very good at running plays.

2.) Uh, not real sure what you mean here. I do usually try to get up the court as fast as possible mainly because a lot of the people that I played previously would get my PG to do that retarded animation that gives you a back court violation.

3.) That all depends on who has the ball. If Perkins or Powe or any of my bench has the ball I am a little hesitant because I don't really know their release and they are 50% at best in non paint situations.

4.) One or two pumps is typically all I do, maybe a 3rd.

5.) As for KG, just deal with him like you would LeBron. Oh wait, you can't. Because he is a beast and can score at will. As for switching to him. I was in man to man the entire game, when you drive to the hoop with your players I would try to stay with him, KG was just coming over to help and guess what? He helps a lot. Sorry for that. My team is rated 99 in defense.

6.) Because my SF and SG were usually leaking past your defenders. Of course I am going to try and capitalize.

7.) This is bullshit because I can't hardly stand Pierce and can't seem to do dick with him. Look at the stats, I don't use him even near his potential. Of course I am going to stick with Allen and KG. Who would you rather me use? Perkins? Powe? Maybe one of my bench scrubs? Come one man.
I'm just posting what I saw happening.

daw840

charsace said:
I'm just posting what I saw happening.

I just find it funny that I have a 6-12 record and every time I actually pull out a win my opponent feels the need to complain and be all butthurt.

I guess not everytime, FMT didn't complain, but at least 3 out of my 7 wins people were bitching and moaning.

Mavs, Nets, Hornets, Heat, it's a pretty bad weekend for me to play, but I will have some time tomorrow between 1-3 Eastern, Sunday between 2-4 Eastern, and Monday 4-6. Just post in here or pm me if any of those times will work.

I'd like to get as many games in as possible because I feel like I'm finally finding a groove with the Bucks and could still make the playoffs. 2 in a row, motherfuckers!

you lose bob!

let me know when you're ready chris, bob has to watch his saturday morning tv shows while i am around all morning! it's on YOUR schedule, not mine! with bob its all about him! IF you're available "now"?! pffft

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you lose bob!

let me know when you're ready chris, bob has to watch his saturday morning tv shows while i am around all morning! it's on YOUR schedule, not mine! with bob its all about him! IF you're available "now"?! pffft

Hey, I woke up a little late and have some stuff I have to take care of before I can play. Will you still be around at 2 EST/11 PST?

Mrbob

ChrisJames said:
Hey, I woke up a little late and have some stuff I have to take care of before I can play. Will you still be around at 2 EST/11 PST?

I'll be home around 3est, can you play me after?

FMT, sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be in the lobby in 20 minutes.

MrBob, I should be able to play then, I'll send you a message on XBL.

charsace

Bucks, Bulls can either play now? Scrim anyone?

FMT likes to bitch about me, but thats because he has a mancrush on me that I refuse to acknowledge. This would have never happened if Alex Smith wasn't on his way to the CFL. Young blue eyes failed the Niners Nation.

77.jpg

Alex :(

alex smith will rise like the phoenix. we both know that. and when do i bitch about you? :lol

gg's chrisjames and bird. sometimes the game just picks a winner (my game against chrisjames he was missing open shots all over the place) and sometimes it SEEMS like the game is picking a different winner throughout! started out hot against bird and then got outscored by 16 points in the 3rd, but pulled it out in OT.

with 2.3 left in OT and up by 3, bird had the ball and inbounded it, to which i fouled IMMEDIATELY and though he actually attempted a 3 pointer! but i dont know if he was actually shooting, seems like he was or why else would he have gotten automatic fouls shots (i wasn't over the limit, but maybe this is an NBA rule)

Mrbob

Sigh....nothing like losing another game because your opponent can grab offensive rebounds with 3 guys sitting in the paint, take over manual control to block the guy out, go over your back and get it. Not to mention I had 5 blocks underneath the hoop and I didn't get it any of the time. Gets it back and scores. :/ Unbelievable. Can't wait for this season to be over.

Smokey

Mrbob said:
Sigh....nothing like losing another game because your opponent can grab offensive rebounds with 3 guys sitting in the paint, take over manual control to block the guy out, go over your back and get it. Not to mention I had 5 blocks underneath the hoop and I didn't get it any of the time. Gets it back and scores. :/ Unbelievable. Can't wait for this season to be over.

Maybe you need to adjust your sliders.

Mrbob said:

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on
Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it's time to sing along
When your day is night alone, (hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on

'Cause everybody hurts. Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life, the days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on

Well, everybody hurts sometimes,
Everybody cries. And everybody hurts sometimes
And everybody hurts sometimes. So, hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on
Everybody hurts. You are not alone

charsace

Smokey said:
Maybe you need to adjust your sliders.
Sliders don't help me with rebounding at all. Dumb fuckers remain dumb fuckers no matter what I do. At least I have new boots on the way to keep me happy, fuck 2k. Someone said the lead designer for 2k is now working on live10. He said 2k refuses to build a new engine for 2k. I hope live10 crushes 2k so that we will have a real bball game to league play in october. Fuck 2k!

Mrbob

Haha FMT. If I do one more thing, I will make sure you sing the blues next week before I retire from NBA leagues for the year!

Smokey, I easily put together my best defensive game of the year. It is just demoralizing when you don't get rewarded for all the effort you put into the game. Winner tends to be predetermined before the game starts.

charsace said:
Sliders don't help me with rebounding at all. Dumb fuckers remain dumb fuckers no matter what I do. At least I have new boots on the way to keep me happy, fuck 2k. Someone said the lead designer for 2k is now working on live10. He said 2k refuses to build a new engine for 2k. I hope live10 crushes 2k so that we will have a real bball game to league play in october. Fuck 2k!

:eek:

Hopefully Live can step it up.

I might go pick up college hoops 2k8 after I get rid of NBA.

Smokey

charsace said:

:lol such passion!

where'd you hear that about the lead designer?

Mrbob said:
Haha FMT. I easily put together my best defensive game of the year. It is just demoralizing when you don't get rewarding for all the effort you put into the game. Winner tends to be predetermined before the game starts.

No it's not, it just seems like that sometimes. Otherwise I'd be 3-22 instead of 22-3 as the Bobcats are rated something like 69 overall.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Don't know about anyone else but this is my last GAF season with 2K9.

I never liked the gameplay or online interface of this year's title but I've marched forward despite it's major shortcomings and have been able to squeeze some fun out of it.

the nerfing of the lockdown defense, the triple threat move broken, the retarded post game, how easy it is to get to the basket with little resistance, no lobbies online, etc. etc. etc.

The lead designer of 2K jumping ship to Live gives me hope for the next round of titles.

Live 2010 will definitely be on my radar this year.

Birdman02

ph33nix said:
i want to do some team up late

I'll be up for some team up too.

FMT, I think Granger's foot might have been on the line on that play. I was trying to get the corner 3, but it looked like he drifted inside just a little bit. I got a great shot off on the last possession, but Granger back-rimmed it...AGAIN!!!

Also, I know it's been said before, but who the fuck is Matt Carroll?!?! That motherfucker is lights-out if you can hit a couple of early shots with him....I don't mind seeing Dirk, or even Wally, hitting shots like that, but Matt Fucking Carroll...give me a break!!!

Smokey, what the hell did you do to Richard Jefferson? He has been absolutely useless to me since our game last week. I can't hit a shot with him to save my life.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
This is my last 2k9 league too i think. I think it was bob who said it, that people are playing 2k9 basketball instead of sim basketball and its just allowed as long as they dont go over 50 PIP

Last season as the Bucks i lost ALOT, but most of those losses I felt like I actually lost. This year in alot of my games, even ones i won, i felt like my opponent was being cheesy in one way or another. Its especially frustrating when i go out of my way to play sim ball and dont take open shots or lay ups when i felt like they would have been because of something cheesy.

Its a shame because i had great games with a few of you this season.

FMT, I think Granger's foot might have been on the line on that play. I was trying to get the corner 3, but it looked like he drifted inside just a little bit. I got a great shot off on the last possession, but Granger back-rimmed it...AGAIN!!!

Also, I know it's been said before, but who the fuck is Matt Carroll?!?! That motherfucker is lights-out if you can hit a couple of early shots with him....I don't mind seeing Dirk, or even Wally, hitting shots like that, but Matt Fucking Carroll...give me a break!!!

my heart skipped a beat on that foul. THAT is what i get for being a fucking idiot and trying to foul.... should have just let you take the contested 3 pointer and if you make it play another OT. never again.

and lol @ matt carroll. i don't know what to say about it. he is one of the higher rated 3 point shooters in the game (88 i think). he sucks fucking balls on D (although he did have *A* steal), but he is pretty good from mid range and long range. driving to the basket is another story for him....

This is my last 2k9 league too i think. I think it was bob who said it, that people are playing 2k9 basketball instead of sim basketball and its just allowed as long as they dont go over 50 PIP

Last season as the Bucks i lost ALOT, but most of those losses I felt like I actually lost. This year in alot of my games, even ones i won, i felt like my opponent was being cheesy in one way or another. Its especially frustrating when i go out of my way to play sim ball and dont take open shots or lay ups when i felt like they would have been because of something cheesy.

Its a shame because i had great games with a few of you this season.

ditto. i know when you beat my ass earlier in the season i didn't feel like it was cheesy. you just flat out destroyed by hitting shots and i just wasn't hitting shots. but there have been times where i've just been so frustrated with the manner i was losing i wanted to throw the controller through the screen.

my games against ecnal are always like this. i'm honestly not blaming him, i'm blaming the game for allowing it to happen. he would drive to the bucket a lot and there is nothing i can do. come on man i have dirk and nene down there trying to block and they're getting dunked on like they were preschoolers. at LEAST initiate an animation for a foul and send him to the line. but no, they just get morphed through.

then on every rebound it would be like "welp, time to throw it up court!" and i would have guys there but the AI is so fucking stupid they allow people to just drift for an open 3. i admit i have done this a few times and now that i think of it, it was dirty of me to do it as well.

i think the 2 things 2k needs to do next year are improve collision detection (my game with bird you could see his guys hand go through my arm on a made 3 point shot, plus the afforementioned driving to the bucket and morphing), and improve the AI on switches. i have help defense set to 0 but when i was playing the pacers my fucking guys kept coming off their guy to help on jack or tinsley and then it would leave someone wide open. just fucking stay on your man and if i get beat by my man then so be it.

anyhow i'm still undecided on next season, guess it depends on how many people we gots!

charsace

I agree with all the criticisms. I love 2k games, but 2k9 is disappointing. Sad because CHoops2k8 is a the best bball game ever made. I thought that after the decided to stop the college game that NBA 2k9 would be unbelievably good; maybe even one of the best games ever. Dunking is just ridiculous this year. CHoops got dunking right, making it reward when you actually got a dunk in traffic. 2k9 is like slam and jam, every fucking player brings the thunder if they have 75+ dunk or 75+ standing dunk.

Fuck 2k. Good thing I have boots and now 2 pairs of jeans, world of goo, and watchmen game to cheer me up. If EA completely dominates them next year it will be good for bball games. Too bad EA has no comp in football too make them fix the piece of shit madden.

Good thing I have boots and now 2 pairs of jeans

:lol

Too bad EA has no comp in football too make them fix the piece of shit madden.

agreed. its too bad VC can't make NFL games. and they'll never get funding for another football game after the disaster that is APF. i don't blame them entirely for that failure though, they were up against the wall

Smokey

Birdman02 said:
I'll be up for some team up too.

Smokey, what the hell did you do to Richard Jefferson? He has been absolutely useless to me since our game last week. I can't hit a shot with him to save my life.

Nothing brah.

Although I am glad I held onto Redd instead of trading him back, his is awesomeness.

ecnal

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ditto. i know when you beat my ass earlier in the season i didn't feel like it was cheesy. you just flat out destroyed by hitting shots and i just wasn't hitting shots. but there have been times where i've just been so frustrated with the manner i was losing i wanted to throw the controller through the screen.

my games against ecnal are always like this. i'm honestly not blaming him, i'm blaming the game for allowing it to happen. he would drive to the bucket a lot and there is nothing i can do. come on man i have dirk and nene down there trying to block and they're getting dunked on like they were preschoolers. at LEAST initiate an animation for a foul and send him to the line. but no, they just get morphed through.

then on every rebound it would be like "welp, time to throw it up court!" and i would have guys there but the AI is so fucking stupid they allow people to just drift for an open 3. i admit i have done this a few times and now that i think of it, it was dirty of me to do it as well.

i don't disagree with you at all.

last season was interesting because i felt like i was actually running a basketball team: i made trades to improve weaknesses in my team, i ran plays for certain players, i would sub for basketball reasons, etc. however, after playing a handful of people, i realized this was the incorrect approach for playing 2K9. it was also obvious that STAR players in this game were a huge key to winning because i had a great team of role players (and a couple stars), but the game basically punished me for using role players as i should have (e.g.; korver going 1-13 every other game even though his shot selection would be unchanged). this was widely evident in my games with smokey, which almost lead me to not returning this season. kneemac dunking on snaq/boozer in the paint AND getting foul shots was mind boggling for me at the time, but, after taking a closer look at each player's categorical stats, i see how this works within the game logic.

which brings me to this season: selecting the hawks--not a statistically overall better team than the jazz, but definitely a better team when factoring in "star power" and individual categorical ratings. j-smoove is hilarious in this game, absolutely hilarious. 99 vert, 99 dunk, 99 standing dunk, and on defense he has like a 90 on-ball-d, high steal, 99(?) block, etc. he's basically dwight howard but he can handle the ball and blow by any defender and go into some retarded windmill/between the legs/statue of liberty dunk over 2-3 guys.

i intended to play this season as i did last season and use j-smoove as a retaliatory player in a sense--e.g.; if you go to something unstoppable i can easily match it. and i did this for a while (look at smith's stats up until my loss with smokey--everything after that is smith 2.0) and it was fairly effective because people would immediately back down and give up.

however, after playing a few more games versus unnamed players, i realized that i needed to change my game again because abusive styles of play were considered acceptable by admins--not explicitly, but implicitly by allowing it to continue.

this is where hawks 2.0 started--first game was vs the celtics. i'm now in a position where i consistently go to one of the following:

1. unstoppable set play that literally works 80-90% of the time
2. unstoppable post animations with either smith in the paint or mayo/manu further out
3. unstoppable driving animations where players almost always get a dunk or foul shots or both
4. unstoppable animations where it looks like the defender is contesting a shot, but he really isn't within the game logic

and these aren't some kind of delusional conclusions i've come to. look at my player's stats since i copied other league player's abuses (this is over the last 8 games):

smith: 31.5 ppg on 62% shooting
mayo: 32.25 ppg on 57% shooting
manu: his ppg isn't high, but he's shooting ~50% as well.

this is kind of a long and drawn out post which, ultimately, leads me to my real point in responding to you fmt. admins have done a horrible job in stopping and containing certain player tendencies within the league. it's basically like someone(s) this season opened up pandora's box, and now all hell has broken loose.

just my 2 cents on the current status of our league. :/

DCX

DCX
Blah, blah last season. Fine :) I can play one game after work, 3:30pm ( true? ) and one after 9pm est.

DCX

no offense man and I don't mean to criticize you but if you are saying the admins are doing a bad job of controlling stuff and then you purposely pick a cheese team and openly admit to doing it sometimes, then you are a part of the problem

i felt like a hopeless fuck this season. the closest cheese i have on this team is rudy and he's hard to do that with because apparently he can't dribble worth a dick

and this season is just like every single sports season i've experienced here. there's always something to bitch/complain about when you lose because that seems to be so many people's outlet

I personally think the easiest solution to this is to just not enforce manual defense all the time. when I play cerrius now I honestly just let the CPU defend beasley because when its a human defending, the player will blow by easier...if you allow the cpu to defend star players then they are more realistically defended, and have to use screens to get around

ph33nix said:
I personally think the easiest solution to this is to just not enforce manual defense all the time. when I play cerrius now I honestly just let the CPU defend beasley because when its a human defending, the player will blow by easier...if you allow the cpu to defend star players then they are more realistically defended, and have to use screens to get around
i agree. i never understood the justification of manual defense. i understand you always have to guard the ball. better simulation of human vs human interaction, but that shouldn't supercede how you can control how a team plays defense. there's plus/minus to playing manual D. and there's also plus/minus in playing defense off the ball. imo, you should let the team decide how to play the best defense as they see fit.

Smokey

ecnal said:
admins have done a horrible job in stopping and containing certain player tendencies within the league. it's basically like someone(s) this season opened up pandora's box, and now all hell has broken loose.

just my 2 cents on the current status of our league. :/

I spend more time w/ this game then probably anybody else in this league. I've been admin for I dunno the past 3-4 seasons? In the past I would constantly babysit you guys and have to always respond to PMs about other players. Then I'd have to be the middle man and try and get people to play nice etc. Okay so you can say it worked. This season I did the same thing up until the trade I think when viamadenko was trying to leave and trading his players.

I don't remember exactly what happened but it was constant complaining about why did I do this or that, I'm not being fair and other things along those lines. I eventually got sick of babysitting (ask True) you guys. I figured we're all adults and everybody knew what was expected of them in the league. It takes a lot to try and police the league AND try and be competitive.

So now you have people like you who think it's okay to do stupid unstoppable exploitative moves. When you do it everybody else is pissed off that you're doing it and thus they think it's okay for them to do it. They do it in their next game, opponent thinks it's okay for him to do it and it's a fucking snowball. So in a sense you are a part of the problem by continuing to do what you do with your team man. In the past you would've been kicked out as well as others in here. Just b/c the game allows certain things does not mean it's okay for you to do so. Madden has a bunch of shit that can be done, and that's why when you go to a Madden Challenge they have a list of things that are not okay, and if you do them in play you are out. I need to really take this approach if we are going to play again next season.

So okay I guess you can blame it on me or w/e. I basically thought that I could trust everybody to play in line with what this league is supposed to be (sim) without me having to exert so much energy into policing everybody. I've a life just like the rest of you and when I get home from w/e sometimes I don't feel like babysitting.

I can see how that has worked out though, so if there is one more season then maybe I'll have to be an asshole. That's really not my style and I say it every season b/c I try and give the members the benefit of the doubt, but again I see how that has worked out.

Top Bottom