• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

Shinz Kicker said:
is there a server gaf always plays on or does someone make one and people join.

Why do people call them servers :p

A Server is USEast and USWest.. Not the games themselves..!

But yes.. Neogaf/neogaf is usually around sometimes for Normal people to play through and for people to transfer

neogafnm/neogaf is for Nightmare
neogafhell/neogaf is for Hell

Though i have never seen a Hell or NM game ever.

hclflow

bloody pirate said:
so nobody is in the neogaf/neogaf room huh?

If no one's in neogaf/neogaf, try neogaf1/neogaf, neogaf2, etc.

Or if everyone would just utilize the friend list feature and type /f list when you log in, you could see where everyone is and join up!

SleazyC

SleazyC / SleazyC / SleazyMF / Sorceress / US East LADDER

Got a lvl 75 Sorceress right now that will be mainly for MF runs. Probably going to be starting up a Necro or a Pally as soon as I get some decent gear accumulated. If anyone needs help through normal (and I might be able to help in NM now, kinda have crappy gear) just toss me a message.

Rur0ni

hclflow said:
If no one's in neogaf/neogaf, try neogaf1/neogaf, neogaf2, etc.

Or if everyone would just utilize the friend list feature and type /f list when you log in, you could see where everyone is and join up!
This.

I just do the f list and find who's on. If no one, I just do some baal runs or magic findin'.

I need to build my friends list.. :p

Are we compiling names on the original post still?

I want to add my sorc to the list

TurtleSnatcher / PezRadar / YourSorcFriend / Sorceress / US East Ladder

Also any necro need a worm skull? Found my second one.

Have to Give Away for Free:
- +1 necro skills set Grim wand x2
- +2 necro skills rare wand with great stats
- Crown of the Undead (unq helmet with +3 skel mastery ~100+ def)
- +1 passive skills amazon amulet
- +2 fire skills sorc amulet
- Mental Sheath set helmet (+1 all skills ~175 def)

If anyone has any piece of the tal set (besides the helm and wand) that they're looking to get rid of let me know for my sorc, and if you can get me the belt I'll give you the Goldwrap thats currently on my sorc. Then for my pally I have all of the pieces of Sigon's set except the helmet and the armor

Account:

JakOfTheSHadows (Yes the "H" is capital because I didn't pay attention when making the account)

Chars (US EAST Ladder):

Jak_Jak (Druid)
MagicJak(Sorc)
JakOfTheOrder(Pal)
MuleJak(Barb)

Edit: Added some more items I don't need

Holepunch

Now I want to join, just debating what I should do to start out. I made up plans for a wolf druid that can cause some serious pain, plus a little bit different necromancer, but I'm wondering if I should just make an MF character first and just gather up supplies. Should I just play normally or what?

And if I do make MF, any recommendations? I think I can easily muster a Blizzard sorc that can do 2k damage. Think that could get me through some things?

Holepunch said:
Now I want to join, just debating what I should do to start out. I made up plans for a wolf druid that can cause some serious pain, plus a little bit different necromancer, but I'm wondering if I should just make an MF character first and just gather up supplies. Should I just play normally or what?

And if I do make MF, any recommendations? I think I can easily muster a Blizzard sorc that can do 2k damage. Think that could get me through some things?
If u go single element u will be limited on some bosses

I went meteoorb so I can avoid that.

I'm in Act 5 hell now.. Painful to get up there.

I'm looking for Skin of Viper Magi.

I have a +2 rare circlet for Necro, 2 worm skulls, Gore Riders, String of Ears etc.. But no damn Skin of Viper Magi :p

purg3

slept with Malkin
Any rooms up right now?

Also, looking for a dual leech ring if anyone has a spare.

My ladder account isn't on the list-
purg3 / purg3 / gaf_purgeface / bowazon / US East Ladder

Twig

Banned
Woo, I beat Duriel earlier today!

So, advice time! Again.

I decided I wanted to make a druid a while ago, which is why I now have a level 22 druid. After looking around for a bunch of build ideas, I decided I wanted to try out a rabies/fury druid following this guide. Looked fun, and frankly fun is all that matters to me. It was a plus to read that it's generally pretty effective, too.

After starting that character and leveling it up and reading more about it from other sources, I discovered it's pretty gear-dependent, apparently. IOW, I should have rolled a less gear-dependent build to begin with. But oh well!

My question is what should my strength/dex be. I don't want to put too much into those stats only to discover I wasted it.

Holepunch

Aww...man. That Druid in your Faq is almost identical to what I had planned. Only difference is I was doing it originally, and not some cookie cutter job. Probably naive to think I can make my own unique character but...too bad. Suppose I'll look into something else now.

TheOneGuy said:

So, advice time! Again.

I decided I wanted to make a druid a while ago, which is why I now have a level 22 druid. After looking around for a bunch of build ideas, I decided I wanted to try out a rabies/fury druid following this guide. Looked fun, and frankly fun is all that matters to me. It was a plus to read that it's generally pretty effective, too.

After starting that character and leveling it up and reading more about it from other sources, I discovered it's pretty gear-dependent, apparently. IOW, I should have rolled a less gear-dependent build to begin with. But oh well!

My question is what should my strength/dex be. I don't want to put too much into those stats only to discover I wasted it.

Just standard Fury druids are strong with a decent weapon. If I find anyting I will send it over your way. A bonesnap would be nice for you.

firex

TheOneGuy said:

So, advice time! Again.

The absolute best weapon for you to get is The Ribcracker, but that's an exceptional unique so you probably won't see it until NM difficulty at the earliest. Other than that, just get good mauls. There's no real value in anything but 2h weapons (mauls specifically) for druids.

Twig

Banned
Hah, cool, now I know what kind of weapon I need!

But I still don't know where to allocate my stats. O:

firex

Generally speaking most people get enough dex to wear their gear and no more (because dex is crap) and the same applies to str. Although druids can spend a little more on str (and usually need to since mauls are high str requirements) compared to other classes since their forms all get increased health. It's not like I can say exact values, but don't raise up dex too much. focus on vitality until you have trouble wearing good gear, and then raise str so you can wear it.

SamuraiX-

firex said:
Generally speaking most people get enough dex to wear their gear and no more (because dex is crap) and the same applies to str.

Um... maybe if you're a Sorceress or Necromancer, but if your character is involved in any kind of melee whatsoever (or physical range attacks, in the case of an Amazon), then DEX is one of the most important stat factors if you want to hit anything for shit in Nightmare and Hell mode. I think people level strength more because of gear. Vitality is no doubt important. I hear not to even touch Mana for some jobs, like my Assassin for instance.

With that said, anyone want to give me further advice on which of the four stat factors I should concentrate on for my Assassin? Using a katar and shield build. Going for a melee, rather than a trapsin, but I'll definitely still be putting a lot of points in Death Sentry.

firex

lol no. Dex is fucking worthless, period. There are shitloads of easy ways to boost your AR, every melee build focuses on a skill with insane AR, max block isn't worth attaining on anyone that's not a paladin (and they get it just for casting Holy Shield). Dex is only saved by sometimes being necessary for gear. No melee fighter will use more than 120 dex if they know what they're doing, since vitality is far more important than str or dex. Energy is completely useless for all but a very specific sorc build, though.

SamuraiX-

firex said:
lol no. Dex is fucking worthless, period. There are shitloads of easy ways to boost your AR, every melee build focuses on a skill with insane AR, max block isn't worth attaining on anyone that's not a paladin (and they get it just for casting Holy Shield). Dex is only saved by sometimes being necessary for gear. No melee fighter will use more than 120 dex if they know what they're doing, since vitality is far more important than str or dex. Energy is completely useless for all but a very specific sorc build, though.

Oh I know there's plenty of stuff out there that enhance your attack rating, but try to understand that not everyone out there has access to it. Saying that Dex is utterly useless is rather foolish. Don't most bow Amazons jack their Dex up as high as it can go? I know Vitality is important, because you can see the results of upgrading it right away. Strength I can never really see a difference when upgrading it and that looks more for the purpose of wearing heavier armor. But unless you can obtain some really nice +attack rating equipment, then you'll definitely want to keep Dex upgraded at lower levels and then maybe lay more off of it when you reach the higher levels because that's when you can start getting better eqipment to help it.

Just don't lead people to believe that you're talking about both Dex AND Attack Rating. Because you'll be going on a missing spree in harder difficulties if you're a melee character with low attack rating. lol

hclflow

Shinz Kicker said:
even for assassins dex cap should be at 120? but thats all my atk power from claws. i dont want to be a heavy weapons sin.

Are you following a build guide? If so, ignore what he said. Otherwise, ignore what he said. :p

Dex allocation is a build-by-build thing, really. A lot of melee builds don't need more dex than what equipment requires, but some do, such as various asn builds and melee characters that want 75 percent block. Sorry firex, but you're pretty off the mark saying pallies are the only class ever worried about 75 percent block.

SamuraiX- said:
Don't most bow Amazons jack their Dex up as high as it can go?

Yes, most bowazon variants focus on 400+ dex. Some even shoot as high as 600+ dex. I'm trying to shoot for at least 500 with mine.

SamuraiX-

hclflow said:
Yes, most bowazon variants focus on 400+ dex. Some even shoot as high as 600+ dex. I'm trying to shoot for at least 500 with mine.

Wow. That's insane. 600+? That wouldn't even leave any left over skill points to put into Strength and Vitality. o_o

firex

bowzons go for dex, yes, but that's because dex is their primary stat. basically I'm just saying dex is almost useless for anyone that's not a bowzon when there are really easy items you can get like 2 parts of the angelic set (the neck and ring being the best) which gives a colossal AR boost based upon level. It's just not worth it for any melee compared to getting as much vitality as possible. this is all predicated on them killing ubers, though, which is what all the good pvm builds are focused on.

edit: and lol, nobody will use 75% block except a pally. Assassins are better off using dual claws and claw block, even with like 5 points into the skill at max, because claw block is a fixed %. The dex requirements for 75% block are insane and ultimately less useful than dumping all those dex points into vitality. A concentrate barb doesn't want 75% block either. A bear/wolf druid doesn't want 75% block because they don't use shields.

75% block is basically unattainable without 250ish points into dex and the best shield you can get, unless you are a paladin and use holy shield. You're far better off going with something to increase your defense so you don't get hit.

firex said:
bowzons go for dex, yes, but that's because dex is their primary stat. basically I'm just saying dex is almost useless for anyone that's not a bowzon when there are really easy items you can get like 2 parts of the angelic set (the neck and ring being the best) which gives a colossal AR boost based upon level. It's just not worth it for any melee compared to getting as much vitality as possible. this is all predicated on them killing ubers, though, which is what all the good pvm builds are focused on.

edit: and lol, nobody will use 75% block except a pally. Assassins are better off using dual claws and claw block, even with like 5 points into the skill at max, because claw block is a fixed %. The dex requirements for 75% block are insane and ultimately less useful than dumping all those dex points into vitality. A concentrate barb doesn't want 75% block either. A bear/wolf druid doesn't want 75% block because they don't use shields.

75% block is basically unattainable without 250ish points into dex and the best shield you can get, unless you are a paladin and use holy shield. You're far better off going with something to increase your defense so you don't get hit.

Stop posting.

Most won't even hit 99.. that much dex isnt needed and shields like Stormshield give a big boost in blocking.

Dex is extremely important for certain builds. Especially PvP builds. 75% block is big when facing something like a bowazon for a Sorceress. The vit bonus per point for a sorceress is crap. Also teleporting without block and faster hit recovery will get u jacked if u fall into a mob in hell Meph runs etc.

Go read any guide out there.. 75% of them encourage pushing dex up to obtain max block with a good shield as opposed to pumping vit and vit only on Sorceresses or even Necros.

Also a Bear/Wolf Druid that is PvP should use a shield. If they don't they are idiots.. Even some PvM use shields. I remember back at 1.09 Branars Star + Storm shield was the way to go as a druid. Just because they "Morph" doesn't mean they don't block.

I also can't believe you used the Angelic set as an example. You really expect the Angelic set to take you through Hell? Hah.. That set is good until end of NM at most.. The amulet is so easily replaceable..

Dex should be boosted on Bowazons to insane lvls.. 400+..
Dex on other classes depending on build should be boosted for Max Block.. even a 1handed pvp Fury Druid.. (AR won't be an issue with HoW and Fury/Wolf bonuses to AR) but having 0 dex and 0 block will get you destroyed when surrounded by enemies in an 8 player hell game.

firex

defense > block. if you are trapped in 1.09 thinking then no wonder you are following crappy guides that say to get max block. naturally a caster doesn't need max block, and the reason bear/wolf druids (especially bear) don't want a shield is because it breaks their attack speed with mauls. and a bear druid gets absurd defense, so they only get hit by bosses.

same reason you only use enough dex for your equipment: defense is way, way better than block and now there are ways for virtually any melee build to achieve absurd defense compared to max block. And if there aren't (like with the assassin) they get a nice FIXED block rate like claw block, compared to how shield block deteriorates if you don't have the appropriate dex for the shield and your level.

It's basically 232 dex with stormshield for max block if you are a sorc/necro/druid. every good build that's been updated for 1.11 recommends 120-150 dex tops for a melee character, and way less for a caster. It's just too easy to get your AR boosted otherwise, while you want the drastic health increase from having so much more vitality as there's no other good way to boost it.

Carm

TheOneGuy said:

So, advice time! Again.

Usually just enough str to equip items, not much dex. As to your build, I wanted to go flaming rabies ww build myself but after a lot of reading it seems that and Fury/rabies are more pvp builds that don't work as well in Hell difficulty compared to pure fury, but I dunno. *shrug*.

firex said:
defense > block. if you are trapped in 1.09 thinking then no wonder you are following crappy guides that say to get max block. naturally a caster doesn't need max block, and the reason bear/wolf druids (especially bear) don't want a shield is because it breaks their attack speed with mauls. and a bear druid gets absurd defense, so they only get hit by bosses.

same reason you only use enough dex for your equipment: defense is way, way better than block and now there are ways for virtually any melee build to achieve absurd defense compared to max block. And if there aren't (like with the assassin) they get a nice FIXED block rate like claw block, compared to how shield block deteriorates if you don't have the appropriate dex for the shield and your level.

It's basically 232 dex with stormshield for max block if you are a sorc/necro/druid. every good build that's been updated for 1.11 recommends 120-150 dex tops for a melee character, and way less for a caster. It's just too easy to get your AR boosted otherwise, while you want the drastic health increase from having so much more vitality as there's no other good way to boost it.
I like how I mention 1 thing from 1.09 back when I played and you instantly assumed all I was talking about was 1.09. How stupid.

Thankfully Defense is going to save me from those 20k+ AR people in PvP.

Never say Dex is worthless like you were quoted and then suddenly peel back and only talk about PvM. I mentioned PvP in my post above but you seemed to have skipped that over as well.

Galanthas said:
Usually just enough str to equip items, not much dex. As to your build, I wanted to go flaming rabies ww build myself but after a lot of reading it seems that and Fury/rabies are more pvp builds that don't work as well in Hell difficulty compared to pure fury, but I dunno. *shrug*.

Really good Rabies builds (Very high dmg) require some decent psn charms to go along.

Rur0ni said:
Anyone got a thul rune? I got plenty uniques for it. :O

edit: deal done. :D
I have like 4 or 5!

I wonder what I should socket in my Witchwing Wild until I can use my Eaglehorn.. Any suggestions anyone?

I've decided to make a strafe/multi standard bowazon.. with lotsa dex.. little to no vit.. and a minimal amount of strength.

purg3

slept with Malkin
TurtleSnatcher said:
I have like 4 or 5!

I wonder what I should socket in my Witchwing Wild until I can use my Eaglehorn.. Any suggestions anyone?

I've decided to make a strafe/multi standard bowazon.. with lotsa dex.. little to no vit.. and a minimal amount of strength.

you could always shael it- extra IAS is always nice unless you have an ED/IAS jewel lying around. I went with Multi/GA/ Freezing arrow (for immunes) for my bowazon build. Never really liked strafe because of strafe lockage. I usually go no higher than 108 with strength and anywhere from 70-100 vitality and pump the rest in dex.

firex

TurtleSnatcher said:
I like how I mention 1 thing from 1.09 back when I played and you instantly assumed all I was talking about was 1.09. How stupid.

Thankfully Defense is going to save me from those 20k+ AR people in PvP.

Never say Dex is worthless like you were quoted and then suddenly peel back and only talk about PvM. I mentioned PvP in my post above but you seemed to have skipped that over as well.

Really good Rabies builds (Very high dmg) require some decent psn charms to go along.
lol @ d2's pvp though. it's atrocious. there's a reason I didn't mention it, and it's because d2's pvp is terrible. It's just included for all the typical bnet "i ownz u" people, or someone who wants to fuck over someone else in hardcore.

I mean if you want to build a pvp character, by all means, but lol.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
lol @ d2's pvp though. it's atrocious. there's a reason I didn't mention it, and it's because d2's pvp is terrible. It's just included for all the typical bnet "i ownz u" people, or someone who wants to fuck over someone else in hardcore.

I mean if you want to build a pvp character, by all means, but lol.
PvP > *

Always.

I could use some advice from anyone with high level/end game experience. I just got my 5th char (JakOfTheOrder), my new hammerdin, to lv 72 last night and I'm starting to think hard about my remaining stat point allocation. I have my DEX figured out already, I am putting no points into energy, and all remaining points into VIT. That leaves just STR. I know approx how much STR I want, but the only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out what my ultimate equip on this build will be, because once I do this I will then know the max STR I need. I just keep thinking I going to want to use some ultimate piece of equip that I didn't plan for and not have the STR for it. I will go back to my MF sorc (MagicJak) to start farming items while I think about this after I hit the 80's on my hammerdin. So basically any STR advice for a hammerdin, or best end game equip you would recommend so that I could figure out my max STR from that. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Just to be clear this will be a strictly PvM hammerdin and used for running Hell, and I'm not worried about his final MF so much because I will have my sorc for that.

firex

TheOneGuy said:
It's not built for PvP, but that doesn't make the PvP inferior.

ALWAYS.
I just hate pvp in levels/loot games because it's always half-assed. it always makes me think I should be playing TF2 or something instead.

firex

JakOfTheShadows said:
I could use some advice from anyone with high level/end game experience. I just got my 5th char (JakOfTheOrder), my new hammerdin, to lv 72 last night and I'm starting to think hard about my remaining stat point allocation. I have my DEX figured out already, I am putting no points into energy, and all remaining points into VIT. That leaves just STR. I know approx how much STR I want, but the only thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out what my ultimate equip on this build will be, because once I do this I will then know the max STR I need. I just keep thinking I going to want to use some ultimate piece of equip that I didn't plan for and not have the STR for it. I will go back to my MF sorc (MagicJak) to start farming items while I think about this after I hit the 80's on my hammerdin. So basically any STR advice for a hammerdin, or best end game equip you would recommend so that I could figure out my max STR from that. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Just to be clear this will be a strictly PvM hammerdin and used for running Hell, and I'm not worried about his final MF so much because I will have my sorc for that.
I recommend looking at http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/370600/33328 and seeing their ultimate gear. granted, it includes a torch and annihilus in your gear, but those shouldn't be too hard to get with your hammerdin.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
I just hate pvp in levels/loot games because it's always half-assed. it always makes me think I should be playing TF2 or something instead.
I'm just giving you a hard time, no worries. All I'm really trying to say is that I love PvP, and I wish someone would do it right in a loot-based game, but it's so HARD to do it right. GW comes the closest, but I really just don't like the PvP in that game. It feels wrong.

In actuality, the PvP in D2 is really terribly unbalanced. But it's still fun!

Milabrega

PvP is tons of fun in Diablo. Duels are fun, but its true theres not much to gain from them other than gold/potions unless you gamble ahead of time. Back in the day there was always the possibility people would drop their gear. Hardcore duels always make things much more interesting. But if you truly want to PvP, you've got to get into griefing. Join a public game, join their party, see where they are at, then hostile and chase. Some builds are stronger than others for PvP. For example a summon necro rocks PvM, but when it comes to PvP Bone-necro is the way to go.

Gumby04 said:
what is the best tree route for the SORCERESS ?!?!
If it is your first character I highly recommend going dual elements or else you will suffer the consequences of hitting walls in hell and even nightmare at some parts.

I went MeteOrb. Works well!

I have maxed Meteor/Fireball/Fire Mastery and maxed Frozen Orb and put about 5-10 points in Cold Mastery.

Holepunch

laaaaame. Just got the game, but I'm in US West. Seeing how there are very few GAFers on the west coast, any way to change it to the East Coast? Because as of now its not letting me...

Top Bottom