• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

KdoubleA

Just started playing D2 for the first time since I bought Guild Wars in 2005!!

Man, I really missed how great this game is.

GAF name / battle.net account / character name / class / realm

KdoubleA/ KdoubleA/ KdA_SumNec/ Necromancer/ US East LADDER

Rur0ni said:
:lol

Think battle.net didn't like me muling. How long does it deny you? 10 mins?
10-15 mins.

Pally is now at 69. I've been getting a ton of decent barb gear.. I should make one.. (But I hate barbs.. so boring)

fatty

Alright guys, need a little help here when it comes to playing with other people. I'm still relatively low in level and new to the game. I'll get someone coming in, and he's very helpful in that he'll help me literally run through a quest, but all of the loot is just left behind. How is it generally done, kill now and ask questions (and pick up loot) later?

He told me not to worry about it since I'll get better stuff later but the way I've been playing by myself is that I will generally kill all the monsters in a dungeon and keeping turning in loot as I go. Am I playing it wrong where I'm worrying to much about killing every single thing (I guess I'm worried that I don't want to miss an important loot item). I assumed that I needed to clear out the areas for leveling up as well.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the help by others but it seems like I'm being rushed through the game instead of taking it all in on my first playthrough. On the other hand maybe at the pace I'm going I won't be finished until Diablo 3 is actually out. I haven't played with any gaf members yet so I guess I'm also wondering what I should expect.

firex

Just rush through. There's a hidden "treasure class" value associated with zones in the game which determines the quality of loot that will drop. You have no chance of getting a worthwhile unique in normal until act 4 or act 5, and realistically you won't get anything really good until nightmare at the earliest.

Teknoman

:lol I like to do floor total clean up jobs too though. It kinda gets me in trouble when partying with others on normal though, especially when everyone is in rush mode. I go down the wrong path and get mugged by 30 demons and a ghost.

EDIT: If you arent playing with GAF people or people you know, and are trying to absorb the story and environments as well, you probably wont fare that well.

firex

I think everyone tries to fully explore when it's still new to them. but at this stage in the game I just want to get past the first 3 shitty acts so I can move on to the awesome final 2 acts.

fatty said:
Alright guys, need a little help here when it comes to playing with other people. I'm still relatively low in level and new to the game. I'll get someone coming in, and he's very helpful in that he'll help me literally run through a quest, but all of the loot is just left behind. How is it generally done, kill now and ask questions (and pick up loot) later?

He told me not to worry about it since I'll get better stuff later but the way I've been playing by myself is that I will generally kill all the monsters in a dungeon and keeping turning in loot as I go. Am I playing it wrong where I'm worrying to much about killing every single thing (I guess I'm worried that I don't want to miss an important loot item). I assumed that I needed to clear out the areas for leveling up as well.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the help by others but it seems like I'm being rushed through the game instead of taking it all in on my first playthrough. On the other hand maybe at the pace I'm going I won't be finished until Diablo 3 is actually out. I haven't played with any gaf members yet so I guess I'm also wondering what I should expect.

Well, if I were you, I'd create a game where the name of the game reflects that you want to do a full play of the game on normal setting. You'll get some other people in there who want to do the same thing probably. If this is your first time playing Diablo2, I'd want to do it that way too, so you also get a sense of the story. Personally, I wouldn't start rushing until you've played through the game once.

BlackMage

Banned
after work, I plan on doing some normal mode stuff (my javazon is only 23 or so). So if anyone needs to mule or wants to party with me after 5pm PST, i'll have a game up (neogaf with whatever available # afterwards), unless there is one up already.

My amazon is AielMaiden.

doodyball5 said:
after work, I plan on doing some normal mode stuff (my javazon is only 23 or so). So if anyone needs to mule or wants to party with me after 5pm PST, i'll have a game up (neogaf with whatever available # afterwards), unless there is one up already.

My amazon is AielMaiden.

How long from now is 'after work'? And what act are you in? I wouldn't mind doing some A5 quests.

zou

Damn, reading this thread brought back some nice memories. Guess I'll have to buy the game real quick :>

firex said:
Just rush through. There's a hidden "treasure class" value associated with zones in the game which determines the quality of loot that will drop. You have no chance of getting a worthwhile unique in normal until act 4 or act 5, and realistically you won't get anything really good until nightmare at the earliest.
Please don't recommend somebody new to the game rush through. I really think first-time players miss out on a lot by that crap, it doesn't make the game fun at all, it just feels empty. If you've played through a bunch of times like we have, it's one thing--you already have gone through the whole progression and your goals are different. But for somebody taking it all in the first time, I don't even see what the point of rushing is.

Twig

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Please don't recommend somebody new to the game rush through. I really think first-time players miss out on a lot by that crap, it doesn't make the game fun at all, it just feels empty.
This. I was forced to rush through it when I played the first time forever ago, because my friends wanted me to catch up. I still had fun, but... this time I decided to take it slow and it's much more fun.

firex

oh yeah, I forgot that rushing to most people is getting TPed to each boss and moving on to the next act and so on. I just meant don't bother fully exploring each random cave. you can skip all the stupid little random areas not marked for the quests, which is fine because they offer very little in the way of rewards until hell difficulty.

also the game is largely boring crap if you explore every single random side dungeon.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
also the game is largely boring crap if you explore every single random side dungeon.
Pff!

Half the fun for me is having a complete map. Even if it does go away every time I join a new server.

firex

oh yeah. if your merc ever falls way far behind in levels, just strip their equipment and then hire a new one of the same type. They go pretty close to your level, like within 1-2 at the most, and level up pretty fast now.

Damn, I love playing necro. I just solo'd diablo tonight in Nightmare at only lvl46. Out of 10 skeletons, only one died during the battle. This class kicks so much ass! :lol

zou

Anyone mind helping me get the cube in act 2 (normal) and whatever else is needed to get to the tombs?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Richardfun said:
Damn, I love playing necro. I just solo'd diablo tonight in Nightmare at only lvl46. Out of 10 skeletons, only one died during the battle. This class kicks so much ass! :lol

Necro's are fun to play, although I never tried a summoning build.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
firex said:
oh yeah. if your merc ever falls way far behind in levels, just strip their equipment and then hire a new one of the same type. They go pretty close to your level, like within 1-2 at the most, and level up pretty fast now.
I believe that a merc that was leveled up by hand is stronger than one you'd get from just buying a new one so I'd advise against that. Personally I just ran Bloody Foothills three or four times and my merc caught up like 10 levels so it's not really that hard.

purg3 said:
Necro's are fun to play, although I never tried a summoning build.

I feel incredibly overpowered. That is, as long as none of the enemies get near me in NM. After act2, most enemies kill me with 3 hits. :D

Milabrega

Neogaf Hell/Neogaf just opened, two of right now who are just freshly on Hell if anyone else wants to join us. Neogaf/Neogaf is still up for normal people lots of faces poppin in and out.

Update: 4 of us now on hell, Just did Cain.

firex

trh said:
I believe that a merc that was leveled up by hand is stronger than one you'd get from just buying a new one so I'd advise against that. Personally I just ran Bloody Foothills three or four times and my merc caught up like 10 levels so it's not really that hard.
but mercs are just bitches to give you an aura, and nothing else. and their aura maxes out at like level 65 or so anyway.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
firex said:
but mercs are just bitches to give you an aura, and nothing else. and their aura maxes out at like level 65 or so anyway.
As a sorc my merc is vital for taking down light res enemies or else i'd have to redo every ~5th run. =P

zou said:
Thanks again for helping me cell :)
No problem. =)

NickP786

If anyone's starting to build a sorc, I have a staff thatd be ideal for one in the level 10-20ish range, pm me or post in here if you're interested

ElyrionX

Richardfun said:

Summoning builds are fun but like many other builds out there, becomes almost useless in Hell.

Milabrega

ElyrionX said:
Summoning builds are fun but like many other builds out there, becomes almost useless in Hell.

Summoning builds are the opposite of useless in hell, Bone-Necros become useless. Trust me I've just gone through it.

Milabrega said:
Bone-Necros become useless. Trust me I've just gone through it.

That's not the impression I've gotten. You were taking down individual targets a lot quicker than me and the two other sorcs who were playing with us. Your main problem is keeping yourself alive when there's no tank around. If I were you I'd put a point in a few crowd control curses. IIRC, the most useful ones are Dim Vision, Attract, and Decrepify. DV is like the assassin's Cloak of Shadows, the enemies just stop doing anything unless someone gets close to them; Attract makes all monsters in an area attack the targeted monster; Decrepify slows them.
If you have lots of +skill items, you could do okay with putting only one point in each.

firex

ElyrionX said:
You could not be any more wrong than you are now. Literally, you could say "the sky isn't blue" and it would be less wrong than this.

ElyrionX said:
uh...

No.

Summoning Builds are great in Hell.. And with a Merc with an elemental weapon and CE mixed in.. you become insane.

I got my Sorc up to 72/73.. Been Mfing..

Meph has been nice to me :)

I also heard that summoning necro's are actually great in hell. Even if mobs have high phys dmg resist, you cast amplify damage to double the dmg they take. Besides, my 10 skeletons are so strong already. Did a couple of Meph runs last night, and none of the LE council members, nor mephie himself were able to kill even one of them. :D

Sitting at work right now (work at a bookstore atm), but there's f*ck all to do here. I'm running out of sites to read up on :lol

Ah well, at least I found a live blog of the wimbledon final to tie me over for the next 45 minutes. Then I can watch the match at home while playing D2. Who ever said men can't multitask :D

My problem is that I know where this road is heading. I've been down it before.

Give me a few months and I'll have WoW installed again. Diablo always leads me right into WoW.

gregor7777 said:
My problem is that I know where this road is heading. I've been down it before.

Give me a few months and I'll have WoW installed again. Diablo always leads me right into WoW.

I know what you mean. There is this new commercial here on tv (Netherlands) with Mr. T, a WoW commercial. Every time I see it, I get that weird feeling again. I quit WoW 2 years ago. Glad I sold my copy, should be an extra obstacle to starting again :lol

Top Bottom