• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

If anyone on west ladder is working on an IK barb I have the maul and the helm which I don't need (My barb's a double swinger and rocking the arreat's face I found--you know, one with the worst possible defense for that item. Sigh...)

Anyway, yeah, free barb gear. Fun stuff.

I_D

TheOneGuy said:
Well, I asked twice in the LTTP thread but have yet to get an answer, so I will ask here!

What kind of merc should I be going for on my rabies/fury druid? Any specific runeword or what-have-you?

Act 2 Defensive Merc.

How much are you willing to spend on gear, cause they can get REALLY expensive?

SamuraiX-

Since nobody answered this question in the LTTP topic...

Question: In terms of Assassin Martial Arts, which skill is better to take to 20? Tiger Strike or Phoenix Strike? I already have 8 points in Tiger Strike, but I really want to max out Phoenix Strike. Should I just leave Phoenix Strike alone and finish maxing out Tiger Strike or what? Remember, I'm more of a PvM person. I'd only ever do PvP just to screw around and see how long I would survive.

I_D

SamuraiX- said:
Since nobody answered this question in the LTTP topic...

Question: In terms of Assassin Martial Arts, which skill is better to take to 20? Tiger Strike or Phoenix Strike? I already have 8 points in Tiger Strike, but I really want to max out Phoenix Strike. Should I just leave Phoenix Strike alone and finish maxing out Tiger Strike or what? Remember, I'm more of a PvM person. I'd only ever do PvP just to screw around and see how long I would survive.

Don't know the name from memory, but whichever one hits multiple enemies is the way you wanna go.

SamuraiX-

Immortal_Daemon said:
Don't know the name from memory, but whichever one hits multiple enemies is the way you wanna go.

That would be Phoenix Strike. You can charge it 3 times. Each charge has a different elemental AoE. First charge is Meteor/fire attacks, 2nd is lightning, and 3rd is ice.

firex

They can both make good builds. I'd say just pick whichever one you like the most, because all I could see on gamefaqs was an outdated martial arts assassin build, and a "tiger striker" guide which leads me to believe tiger strike isn't the cookie cutter martial artist build, but it is a good one.

SamuraiX-

Also, what would everyone recommend here for a Bow Amazon build? Strafe Shot or Multiple Shot? Also, I hear Immolation Arrow is big now with the latest update including synergies and upgraded Fire Arrow and Exploding Arrow now stacks damage onto the skill.

What would you all recommend?

John_B

My Hammerdin is getting bullied in Hell.

[Combat]
Blessed Hammer - 20 (31)
Holy Shield - 5 (16)

[Offensive]
Blessed Aim - 20 (29)
Concentration - 20 (29)

[Defensive]
Defiance - 2 (11)
Vigor - 20 (29)

Stats
Defence: 3883
Chance to Block: 75%
Life: 1375
Ress (all schools): 60

What is wrong?

ElyrionX

Just got scammed on battle.net.

Thought I was getting a good deal by trading a haemosu adamant armour and an undead crown for a war travs. But he clicked cancel and made the trade again. I clicked the tick without first checking that the boots he placed were war travs and got a worthless pair of boots instead.

I was distracted while making the trade so I didn't check. Tried to get it back by talking sense to him but the asshole refused.

His character name is ASeasonsEnd and userid is smok3.

ElyrionX

John_B said:

[Combat]
Blessed Hammer - 20 (31)
Holy Shield - 5 (16)

[Offensive]
Blessed Aim - 20 (29)
Concentration - 20 (29)

[Defensive]
Defiance - 2 (11)
Vigor - 20 (29)

Stats

What is wrong?

Uhhh, with that amount of skills points and resistance and you're still getting bullied, then I'm screwed.

SamuraiX-

ElyrionX said:
Just got scammed on battle.net.

Thought I was getting a good deal by trading a haemosu adamant armour and an undead crown for a war travs. But he clicked cancel and made the trade again. I clicked the tick without first checking that the boots he placed were war travs and got a worthless pair of boots instead.

I was distracted while making the trade so I didn't check. Tried to get it back by talking sense to him but the asshole refused.

His character name is ASeasonsEnd and userid is smok3.

Ouch. Dude, those are the worst. Oldest damn trick in the book. I've never fallen for it, but I did fall for an old "duping" trick back in the day where I got this nice bow that was given to me by a fellow Diablo II player stolen by one of those smart asses.

But you lost some rare items man. How distracted were you? It's usually easy to pick up on that kinda scam where the guy makes it obvious. I'd be sorely pissed either way. No idea how you can still type properly. I'd been slamming my face on my keyboard and all you would read is giberish if I were posting in this thread about something like that happening to me. lol

ElyrionX

SamuraiX- said:
Ouch. Dude, those are the worst. Oldest damn trick in the book. I've never fallen for it, but I did fall for an old "duping" trick back in the day where I got this nice bow that was given to me by a fellow Diablo II player stolen by one of those smart asses.

But you lost some rare items man. How distracted were you? It's usually easy to pick up on that kinda scam where the guy makes it obvious. I'd be sorely pissed either way. No idea how you can still type properly. I'd been slamming my face on my keyboard and all you would read is giberish if I were posting in this thread about something like that happening to me. lol

Yeah, like I said, I'm already having a really bad day so I was distracted. I should have been more careful. The asshole even had the cheek to ask me to trade the fake boots back for one of the items I lost and that after he used the fake boots to scam another person in the game, he'll give me back the other item. Son of a fucking bitch. Why the hell do people do such things anyway? Fucking losers.

And those items were meant for my merc. Now my merc is just naked. WTF.

That sucks.. Sorry to hear.

Tonight went MFing a bit just in nightmare (was lazy for hell)

I was hitting up pretty much all the bosses..

Found another Manald Ring, Goldwrap, Buriza, Dwarfstar and that Unique defender.. and some other stuff

Trust me.. Seeing so many uni rings drop makes me want to hit myself in the gut since none were SOJs :p

All in all decent night for nightmare...

Tomororw I guess I will do some hell but I was just not in the mood for dying every now and then :lol

My Sorceress is up to 365ish MF, and with Merc about 420-430.

Holepunch

I already gave the magefist away to a gaffer, so... maybe next time.

I just got rushed through act 5 to hell, and hell is so delightfully painful, I'm loving it. I'm getting killed by goddamn zombies its so bad. and my resistances fall into the negative 80. I like the sudden up in difficulty, just getting tired paying for my merc to live. I think I just have to level up a bit more and get my synergies in full effect.

But to the hammer paly that posted...how could hell honestly be difficult for you? I mean, maybe you have to use a potion every now and then but your resistances are fine, defense is fine, you're getting a ton of skill boosts, hammers are non-elemental damage, you really have no excuse on getting bullied. By the way, what level are you? Because theres always room to improve.

Oh, and I fell for that scam too long ago. Instead of a gulldagger, I was given a last minute piece of crap dagger, really sucked. He mentioned hacking accounts and I didn't want to cause much trouble because my account already got hacked once before. Wonder if Blizzard ever did up their defense.

ElyrionX

Umm, I've been getting really crap drops from NM Pindle. Is he just a bad boss to MF for NM? What's the best and most efficient NM MF run then?

I heard Mephisto is quick and easy but Durance Level 2 is just a complete pain to run through. The damn level is so massive and I could be running around (with Vigor to boot) for a whole 10 minutes before finding the stairs ot Level 3. Do you guys who go MF-ing regularly use maphacks? If so, which one is good?

Also, I got disconnected three times in the past two days with the following message at the Character Select screen: "Your connection has been temporarily restricted from this realm. Please try to log on at another time."

I know this is probably to discourage spam bots but it's ridiculous that it's happening to me so often.

vilmer_

ElyrionX said:
Umm, I've been getting really crap drops from NM Pindle. Is he just a bad boss to MF for NM? What's the best and most efficient NM MF run then?

I heard Mephisto is quick and easy but Durance Level 2 is just a complete pain to run through. The damn level is so massive and I could be running around (with Vigor to boot) for a whole 10 minutes before finding the stairs ot Level 3. Do you guys who go MF-ing regularly use maphacks? If so, which one is good?

Also, I got disconnected three times in the past two days with the following message at the Character Select screen: "Your connection has been temporarily restricted from this realm. Please try to log on at another time."

I know this is probably to discourage spam bots but it's ridiculous that it's happening to me so often.

Make sure your runs last at least 5 minutes or more. Typically for NM I usually do Andy, Meph, Diablo and Pindle. Pindle can be a pain to get drops from, but when you do they are usually fantastic. For Durance/Meph runs, always make sure you go in a clockwise direction such as this (+ being exit locations):

----------------- + ------------

+ --------------------------- +

---------------- + -------------

Hug the walls and if you follow this method, it works 90% of the time.

As for MH's, I haven't seen any working ones yet, but then again I'm afraid to go near them as I was part of the mass account closings of a couple years ago :(

Cantaloup

I've been playing with a summoning necro with MF gear on US East Ladder and it is stupid easy. I have too much stuff:

Peasant Crown (unique exceptional helm)
Doombringer (unique elite sword)
Wraith Flight (unique elite javelin)
Bonehew (unique elite polearm)
Demon's Arch (unique elite javelin)
+100 poison / 7% MF small charm
4 socket sacred armor
+1 fire skills (sorceress) grand charm

I'd like to trade for runes or necro gear, but I'd consider giving some of it away. My necro actually has pretty crappy stuff (Tarnhelm, Sigon's Guard, Gravenspine) right now; mostly looking for better +skills, MF, and resists to replace these.

Cantaloup said:
I've been playing with a summoning necro with MF gear on US East Ladder and it is stupid easy. I have too much stuff:

Doombringer (unique elite sword)
Wraith Flight (unique elite javelin)
Bonehew (unique elite polearm)
Demon's Arch (unique elite javelin)
+100 poison / 7% MF small charm
4 socket sacred armor
+1 fire skills (sorceress) grand charm

I'd like to trade for runes or necro gear, but I'd consider giving some of it away. My necro actually has pretty crappy stuff (Tarnhelm, Sigon's Guard, Gravenspine) right now; mostly looking for better +skills, MF, and resists to replace these.

find me im skyk.. im about to log in now!

ElyrionX

vilmer_ said:
As for MH's, I haven't seen any working ones yet, but then again I'm afraid to go near them as I was part of the mass account closings of a couple years ago :(

There was a mass account closing a couple of years ago? What happened then?

vilmer_

ElyrionX said:
There was a mass account closing a couple of years ago? What happened then?

The game was totally rampant with MH's and Baal bots. I think most figured Blizz was pretty much done with the game and didn't care. They suddenly did a clean sweep of anyone who had used anything 3rd party and I would wager thousands and thousands had their accounts closed :(

ElyrionX

vilmer_ said:
The game was totally rampant with MH's and Baal bots. I think most figured Blizz was pretty much done with the game and didn't care. They suddenly did a clean sweep of anyone who had used anything 3rd party and I would wager thousands and thousands had their accounts closed :(

What are Baal bots? Programs that automatically run Baal for you and pick up the loot? How the hell does that even work?

I do remember that when I was playing the game four years ago, every other person was using maphacks. It made MF-ing and baaling a lot easier though I never did use it myself since I was never much of a MF-er.

purg3

slept with Malkin
There are still Baal bots, though it doesn't seem as bad anymore. The couple of baal rooms I've joined over the past few days were run by bots-great if you're looking to level fast.

Milabrega

ElyrionX said:

I am in the same boat as you, Hell Paladin, Max'ed Syngeries, plenty of + skill and I get ROCKED in hell. The only exception is my resists suck (Fire and Lightning specifically, I finally solved my poisen problems). I MF on NM doing Andy, Meph, Big D, Pindle, Elritch/Shenk, and Baal. Elritch/Shenk and Andy have been good to me with the most Unique drops. Pindle is only useful for Rares to sell to merchants thus far.

Also I get the connection interruptions with my Hammerdin as well when I'm MFin but not my Necro or when I'm hoping in and out of neogaf/neogaf to mule. I feel like they may be targeting the botters.

Basically Baal bots are the Hammerdin's that get to baals room in <20 seconds, join a public baal game and you'll eventually come across them real soon. Some people are bothered by them, but I think their great for leveling. As far as map hack, I wish there was one released =/. I did some searching, there is a working one out there, but all the feedback i've seen on it says 9 outa 10 times it'll crash the game, and if it does work, it still doesn't reveal some critical areas (Catacombs lvl 3, Worldstone lvls) and that you crash when going between acts. So if anyone comes across a working one, please let us know.

Cantaloup said:

I'd like to trade for the Peasant Crown, Heres a list of stuff I'm trying to dish below. The bolded portion seems to be the stuff your interested in, I don't have it listed so lets meet up in game and i can show you it. /w *MilabregaGAF

Milabrega said:
I've got a bunch of stuff on mule's I need to get rid of, so if you see me on and want one of these let me know.

Cliffkiller
Naj's Circlet
Hwanin's Justice
Stormchaser
Skystrike
Alduer's Rhythm
Gerke's Sanctuary
Milabrega's Set (Shield x2)
Right of Passage
Laying of Hands
Trang-ouls claws
Fleshrender
Mavin's Icy Clutch
Blackhorn Face
Razortail

Also I'm looking for Herald Of Zakarum or something like it (+2 pally skills, Resists shield), Peasant Crown or the Harliquin's, and a +1-2 Skill Paladin Ammy with MF. I've got Paladin gear, Necro gear, some runes (Pul's,Dol,Lem,Amn), a +1 Assassin Skill 27%MF Ammy and good MF gear for trade.

I_D

John_B said:

[Combat]
Blessed Hammer - 20 (31)
Holy Shield - 5 (16)

[Offensive]
Blessed Aim - 20 (29)
Concentration - 20 (29)

[Defensive]
Defiance - 2 (11)
Vigor - 20 (29)

Stats

What is wrong?

Hammerdin's are HEAVILY gear-dependent.
If you don't have tip-top gear, it's hard to get by.

SamuraiX- said:
Also, what would everyone recommend here for a Bow Amazon build? Strafe Shot or Multiple Shot? Also, I hear Immolation Arrow is big now with the latest update including synergies and upgraded Fire Arrow and Exploding Arrow now stacks damage onto the skill.

What would you all recommend?

Strafe and Multi Shot both have pros and cons.

I prefer Strafe, since you can rape single enemies, or target multiple enemies.
Multi Shot is extremely good for clearing out groups, though.
Expect to die a lot, though. Amazons are generally "glass cannons" which means they are fragile like glass, but can pack a major punch.

StormyTheRabbit said:
I haven't played D2 in years, I want to roll a Hammerdin or a Barb. Anyone have any builds I can easily follow?

Note: Play Non-Ladder. :D

I don't generally like to toot my own horn, but if these links work for you, I've posted some extremely lengthy and deep guides that have received pretty much critical praise from Diablo2.com:
Smiter: http://www.diablo2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617
Hdin: http://www.diablo2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639
Zealer: http://www.diablo2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640

If you're looking for a solid, yet cheap, character, my "poorman's" section of the Smiter guide might be up your alley.

carpal

I'm on with my bowazon in NM right now (USEast ladder) if anybody feels like joining me. Gets boring fast going solo. /w *beboptango!

Also, is there an easy way to get back in touch with the economy at this point? I'm pretty poor at the mo', and trying to figure out what it's going to take to get my WWS. Even stuff like Tarnhelm and Goldwrap... I dunno. I never got in touch with the rune economy after the expansion came out, I guess I just played too much classic.

purg3

slept with Malkin
if anyone comes across any garbage jewels and don't want them, let me know. I'm trying to craft a good pair of Hit Power gloves.

1 Rune away from a Hoto.. :(

I need a Vex D:

EDIT: woot

I now have a hoto :D

And I made Spirit in a 4socketed monarch last night.. My meteor is now at Lvl 35 :D

I guess the nice part is this stuff is easily moveable to another caster class like trap sin or necro :D

just want to say im sorry for all my bitching in /f m. im 66 now and you guys have helped out a whole lot so if your lower then me, lemme know and ill help with what i can.

also if you listened to me bitch, than i might be needing a hell rush sometime soon to keep climbing up the lvl chain. Gaf has made this game amazing for me, i really need to find other things to do.

Steeven

I have a Level 70 Tesladin who deals 400-4000 dmg with Zeal, including lightning in physical attacks. Above that his aura causes 1-600 lightning dmg. My question is: I'm getting spanked in Hell. I can kill the monsters, no problem, enough damage there, but my defense sucks. Should I try MF-ing on Nightmare, cause I can easily survive over there. But all I seem to find there are low-level uniques, handy for starting characters, but not mine.

jlai

Anyone have a Shako I could trade for? The only pieces I have that might be worth anything are: Pul, Um, Hel, Titan's, Pally +1 to Combat Skills GC, and a Key of Terror and Hate. I would be willing to trade any combination of these items. Let me know!

carpal

Had a nice visit from purg3 yesterday, thanks again dude!

I was thinking about the runs I used to do back in classic where everybody would pick a different area (from the pits to the CS) and MF the shit out of it and then come back to the Rogue Encampment to deposit all the loot for everybody to pick through. Anybody run any games like this anymore? Anyone who would be interested in doing that sometime?

ElyrionX

I can't seem to connect to US East now. Am I the only one? Couldn't find anything regarding server status on the battle.net site either.

todahawk

ElyrionX said:
I can't seem to connect to US East now. Am I the only one? Couldn't find anything regarding server status on the battle.net site either.

i couldn't connect to east for a few hours last night. played 40 minutes and got dropped.

I've been getting dropped after 20-40 minutes pretty consistently since I reinstalled. I've done all the troubleshooting, port forwarding, etc. anyone else have problems with lag and keeping connected?

i have no other problems gaming online... :(

greenjerk said:
i couldn't connect to east for a few hours last night. played 40 minutes and got dropped.

I've been getting dropped after 20-40 minutes pretty consistently since I reinstalled. I've done all the troubleshooting, port forwarding, etc. anyone else have problems with lag and keeping connected?

i have no other problems gaming online... :(
Last night in channels I'd get dropped every once in a while.

My problem is my client keeps crashing with some sort of "Exception" errors.

But since computers rock these days it takes me only 10 secs to get right back in :lol

todahawk

ElyrionX said:
I haven't been able to connect to US East for three hours now. All other servers (US West, Europe and Asia) work fine.

I'm gonna try creating a char on west and see if i have the same problem...

@turtle, i know but reconnecting is a PAIN

ElyrionX

greenjerk said:
I'm gonna try creating a char on west and see if i have the same problem...

@turtle, i know but reconnecting is a PAIN

Do you mind checking to see if you can get to the logon screen (with username and password fields) on US East? I can't even reach that screen now.

The connection (on East at least) has been incredibly crappy the last few days. Constant 300-400ms lag, and at certain points, it just lags for a good 5-10 seconds. Vilmer said that it might have something to do with duping, that the method people use for duping causes the realm as a whole to lag like batshit. Dunno if this is true, but it could make sense. Reset was done recently, maybe some cheating wankers just found a Zod rune and are duping it for all it's worth or something...

Top Bottom