• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Waikis

X58 boards visual comparison...mmm..sexy.

96058179zt1.jpg

Woffls

E6600 - Current CPU
2 x 8800GT (SLi) (512mb) - Have one already
4gb PC6400 - Have 2gb already, mobo wont support faster.
Asus P5N-E SLi

How will this perform in high end games like Crysis? I'm not happy with my single 8800. Running at 1280x1024 on Vista 64, format every few months to keep performance high.

Also, what is most important for Maya rendering? Specifically Ray Tracing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Woffls said:
E6600 - Current CPU
2 x 8800GT (SLi) (512mb) - Have one already
4gb PC6400 - Have 2gb already, mobo wont support faster.
Asus P5N-E SLi

How will this perform in high end games like Crysis? I'm not happy with my single 8800. Running at 1280x1024 on Vista 64, format every few months to keep performance high.

Also, what is most important for Maya rendering? Specifically Ray Tracing.

You are fine, although you could do with overclocking that E6600 to at least 3.0 :D

Wollan said:
While this is on the top, when can we expect the next round of Nvidia GPU releases? It's happening before Xmas right?

elsa_nvidia_roadmap_2008_2009.jpg

Slight advances. Maybe even further price drops on the current high end, but I doubt it.

This is just mainly to compete with the 4870x2.

*On another side note they are going from GTX -> GT again :lol

Cheeto

Hey, I'm about to run cables from my PC to HT, to do cross-house Dual Display, and I'm trying to weigh the pluses and minuses. I'm thinking of maybe dumping my TV cable service and using the internet instead. Anyone here do streaming TV? What are the options, or good sites to check out?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Can somebody explain nvidia's naming conventions?

8800, 9800, GT, GTX, etc.

They don't seem to make logical sense. :)

Cheeto

chespace said:

GT =< GTS < GTX

And Generally the higher the number the better the card...with the exception of the newer generation where had to roll over to low number, but they put the GT(X) in front. Confusing, but that's the general idea.

bee

the consensus seems to be, die shrink gtx270/290 end of november, gtx350? 40nm june along with 5870

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
chespace said:
Sad to think that my 4870x2 is already outdated. :lol

Hardly.

It's just a die shrink. (Cheaper production, less heat, more efficient, slightly faster)

ATi will release their new cards sometime in 09, then wait a little bit for the x2 version.

Zzoram

chespace said:

That is because nVidia is trying to confuse people.

8800Ultra > 8800GTX > 9800GTX+ > 8800GTS 512 > 8800GTS 640 > 8800GT 512 = 9800GT 512 > 8800GTS 320

Generally GTX > GT, but it looks like nVidia might reverse that now to confuse even more people.

The entire 9800 series is rebranded 8800 series with minor tweaks. The real next step up is the GTX200 series vs the HD4800 series.

Woffls

Haz what do you reccomend overclocking with? bios or software?

Just ordered another 2gb of PC6400 because my mobo doesn't support PC8500 :( also got a 1tb sata Barracuda, 32mb cache. Need space for backing up work and stuff.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Woffls said:
Haz what do you reccomend overclocking with? bios or software?

Just ordered another 2gb of PC6400 because my mobo doesn't support PC8500 :( also got a 1tb sata Barracuda, 32mb cache. Need space for backing up work and stuff.

Bios, Bios, Bios.

6400 is more than enough.

400*8 is 3.2 which is still higher than what you are aiming for. I found an 8 multi to be more stable for my E6600 than 9 multi.

kakashi08

Sorry this might not be the rite section, but you guys have experiences with newegg's ordering status.
Well, im building a new PC and i ordered all the parts, and a monitor with it also. So newegg makes it two orders because the monitor will ship from another location. right? But the order with all my hardware has been "Order Status: Shipped" and the monitor "Order Status: Submitted". Just to let you know that i rushed ordered the hardware order, so is that's why it was fast on that? i placed the order at the same time, with the same credit card. Its been 3days since the order. Question is why is the monitor not even "charged" yet? its weekend so cant talk to them yet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/kakashi08/order.jpg

1- Wait till Monday and talk to them?
or
2- Cancel the monitor and reorder it?

Cheeto

Zzoram said:
Everything except Crysis will kneel before the 4870x2 for another 2 years in all likelihood.
Exactly, so the way I see it...the card isn't outdated for at least 3-4 years...maybe more.

Woffls

Hazaro said:
Bios, Bios, Bios.

6400 is more than enough.

400*8 is 3.2 which is still higher than what you are aiming for. I found an 8 multi to be more stable for my E6600 than 9 multi.

Ok thanks a lot. Will clock it when I format this week and put the new gear in. Might take a hard drive out as well becasue 4 might be excessive. Got 160, 250, 500 and 1000, might drop the 160 :p PSU is a Hiper 600w something or other.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Woffls said:
Ok thanks a lot. Will clock it when I format this week and put the new gear in. Might take a hard drive out as well becasue 4 might be excessive. Got 160, 250, 500 and 1000, might drop the 160 :p PSU is a Hiper 600w something or other.

HDD's only eat about 10W load each, around 2-4 idle.

CPU overclocking is gonna chew up some 60W, don't worry about it.

rc213

Might as well ask this just to be sure.

Right now I have a EP43-DS3L/Q66600/4GB DDR2 800/HD 3450/Onboard Audio/1x SATA DVD+-RW/2x SATA 250GB HDD/P180/4x 120mm Case Fans/Antec SP-500w PSU.

My next upgrade was going to be a new PSU and then a good gaming card. Would a Corsair 650w PSU be enough?

Zzoram

rc213 said:
Might as well ask this just to be sure.

Right now I have a EP43-DS3L/Q66600/4GB DDR2 800/HD 3450/Onboard Audio/1x SATA DVD+-RW/2x SATA 250GB HDD/P180/4x 120mm Case Fans/Antec SP-500w PSU.

My next upgrade was going to be a new PSU and then a good gaming card. Would a Corsair 650w PSU be enough?

Your 500W PSU is plenty for everything except SLI/Crossfire. You can run a single HD4870 on that easily.

Zzoram

rc213 said:
Oh wow, Didn't expect that. Thanks

Ya, the recommended PSU rating is generally higher than required, because it assumes the most power hungry situation possible, like 6 or 8 hard drives, extreme overclocking, and tons of fans at max speed. An 8800GT runs fine on a 375W PSU, assuming you don't have 6 hard drives.

Actually, a Quadcore + 1HDD + 1DVD-RW + HD4870 + RAM + mobo + fans uses like 350W of power at load.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I just finished overclocking my cpu again. 2.3 ghz C2D is now running at 2.8 ghz.

Im so proud I'd like to post a pic.

2956666492_529fa527f4.jpg

just bought that heat sink. scythe ninja. I absolutely love it. :D

Zzoram

semifinalist said:
A quick laptop question, sorry if this isn't a good thread to ask in:

Which is better out of the Dell XPS M1330 and Latitude E6400?

Need a light notebook for about £800 max (not sure on the $ equivalent).

Thanks!

The XPS1330 is better as a portable gaming machine if you spec it with the GeForce 8400GS. I assume you care about gaming, since this is NeoGAF.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zzoram said:
The XPS1330 is better as a portable gaming machine if you spec it with the GeForce 8400GS. I assume you care about gaming, since this is NeoGAF.
I have a friend who has a 8400GS and it cant handle shit. Not even instant action games run at a decent speed. It might be his drivers, but still, I was surprised at how bad that card was.

Zzoram

godhandiscen said:
I have a friend who has a 8400GS and it cant handle shit. Not even instant action games run at a decent speed. It might be his drivers, but still, I was surprised at how bad that card was.

I'm not saying it's a good card, just that it's better than his alternative, which was Intel Integrated. It can handle Counterstrike: Source.

sutom

Zzoram said:
Ah sorry, I really should have been more specific. It's for my mother who needs a laptop for work (she already has a desktop machine). No gaming (except odd casual ones and DVD watching) so basically the integrated gpu will be fine. As the XPS line seems geared more towards gamers I thought the Latitude would be better for a work machine, but the XPS just seems better-specced for the price. Then again the Latitude E6400 is newer than the XPS M1330. Sorry, not really game related...

I have been reading this thread for ideas on a gaming rig of my own though. Nearly got all the parts chosen, so it's been very helpful! I'll save that for another time.

Zzoram

semifinalist said:
Ah sorry, I really should have been more specific. It's for my mother who needs a laptop for work (she already has a desktop machine). No gaming (except odd casual ones and DVD watching) so basically the integrated gpu will be fine. As the XPS line seems geared more towards gamers I thought the Latitude would be better for a work machine, but the XPS just seems better-specced for the price. Then again the Latitude E6400 is newer than the XPS M1330. Sorry, not really game related...

I have been reading this thread for ideas on a gaming rig of my own though. Nearly got all the parts chosen, so it's been very helpful! I'll save that for another time.

Either one is fine really. Just see which one she prefers the look of, and look at the weight specs to see which one is lighter. Also, think about screen size.

sutom

Zzoram said:
Either one is fine really. Just see which one she prefers the look of, and look at the weight specs to see which one is lighter. Also, think about screen size.
Will do. I think the M1330 is lighter and that screen size should be fine. Thanks for the help :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zzoram said:
That is because nVidia is trying to confuse people.

8800Ultra > 8800GTX > 9800GTX+ > 8800GTS 512 > 8800GTS 640 > 8800GT 512 = 9800GT 512 > 8800GTS 320

Generally GTX > GT, but it looks like nVidia might reverse that now to confuse even more people.

The entire 9800 series is rebranded 8800 series with minor tweaks. The real next step up is the GTX200 series vs the HD4800 series.
They should just run all their cards by year number, and keep the exact same numbers every year. Somewhat like car models.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
otake said:
I just finished overclocking my cpu again. 2.3 ghz C2D is now running at 2.8 ghz.

Im so proud I'd like to post a pic.

2956666492_529fa527f4.jpg

just bought that heat sink. scythe ninja. I absolutely love it. :D

That's a Zalman 9500/9700 mate.

Nice setup though, way cleaner than mine is. :lol

Pachinko

Angry Grimace said:
They should just run all their cards by year number, and keep the exact same numbers every year. Somewhat like car models.

This idea makes far too much sense for a large corporation to utilize it.

I mean it'd be so simple to just call the current set of Geforce cards the Geforce 2008 with different trims like the auto industry uses, so you'd have 2008, 2008GT, 2008GTX maybe even a 2008 LT DELUXE or something. Part of that naming convention is allready in place with the trim levels but the year would reaffirm what your buying. ATI could do the same thing with RADEON 2008 series, perhaps to avoid confusion with the competition instead of gt, gtx or LT they could use GP, GPX and GLT .

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Pachinko said:

I mean it'd be so simple to just call the current set of Geforce cards the Geforce 2008 with different trims like the auto industry uses, so you'd have 2008, 2008GT, 2008GTX maybe even a 2008 LT DELUXE or something. Part of that naming convention is allready in place with the trim levels but the year would reaffirm what your buying. ATI could do the same thing with RADEON 2008 series, perhaps to avoid confusion with the competition instead of gt, gtx or LT they could use GP, GPX and GLT .
The release way more than 1 series a year, though, and a lot of the later models are reduced in price and features from the initial one. There would be so many letters after the year that it would look like some kind of secret code.

It would be great if there were performance tiers that corresponded to performance on recent pc games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pachinko said:

X, XT, XTX but yes.

What if they wanted to keep rehashing though?
Also it helps to know that a 8800 is faster than 7800. But a 7800 is still faster than a 8400, even if it is bigger.

And now for something completely out of left field...

== Since canned air is stupidly expensive, I am looking for reusable alternatives.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZAJC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
-Is an actual air compressor, but a shop vac I could actually see myself using occasionally.

Would a 1.5Hp (4.0amp), or a 3.0Hp (7.3amp) blower, sucker be fine for cleaning computers via airblasting?
1.5: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917713000P
3.0: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917741000P

Trying to keep cost under $40.

Or if anyone can guide me to better help :lol

AAAAAvEIqqMAAAAAAFg6wg.jpg

otake

Hazaro said:
That's a Zalman 9500/9700 mate.

Nice setup though, way cleaner than mine is. :lol

lol! what the hell was I thinking? :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hazaro said:
X, XT, XTX but yes.

What if they wanted to keep rehashing though?
Also it helps to know that a 8800 is faster than 7800. But a 7800 is still faster than a 8400, even if it is bigger.

And now for something completely out of left field...

== Since canned air is stupidly expensive, I am looking for reusable alternatives.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZAJC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
-Is an actual air compressor, but a shop vac I could actually see myself using occasionally.

Would a 1.5Hp (4.0amp), or a 3.0Hp (7.3amp) blower, sucker be fine for cleaning computers via airblasting?
1.5: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917713000P
3.0: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917741000P

Trying to keep cost under $40.

Or if anyone can guide me to better help :lol

AAAAAvEIqqMAAAAAAFg6wg.jpg
Vacuums are a no-no. They cause too much static.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SapientWolf said:
Vacuums are a no-no. They cause too much static.

Blow at it, then pick up the loose dust with vacuum. I know I will need a nozzle.

Current state of affairs here.

jqnd6b.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SapientWolf said:
The release way more than 1 series a year, though, and a lot of the later models are reduced in price and features from the initial one. There would be so many letters after the year that it would look like some kind of secret code.

It would be great if there were performance tiers that corresponded to performance on recent pc games.
I was thinking more like just using numbers; i.e. 900 series for the enthusiast cards, 700 for the mainstream cards, etc. etc.

You can start with 900 for the first set of cards (the GT) in a year and go all the way up to 990 if you really release that many cards.

Then again, simply releasing only one series a year seems like a good idea to me, and they hardly do that. :lol

otake

Hazaro said:
Blow at it, then pick up the loose dust with vacuum. I know I will need a nozzle.

Current state of affairs here.

what the blazes happened there? it looks like you have sata cables going up and down the case. makes no sense. is your dvd drive sata?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
otake said:
jqnd6b.jpg

what the blazes happened there? it looks like you have sata cables going up and down the case. makes no sense. is your dvd drive sata?

Yuppers.

Two of them. :D
Dual Samsung SH-203B drives.

Other cables are for the top USB/Audio/Firewire ports.

Pic is CoolerMaster Centurion 5 vs RocketFish Case.
You can see where the ports are on top with the tiny flap.

2002553634894192828_rs.jpg

Zyzyxxz

ok heres is my current setup:

AMD 3600x2 @ 2.2 ghz
1 gig DDR400 ram
ATi X1800XT

Now my dilemma is when should I time my next PC build?

I was planning to do it after I graduate in december but I'm not sure if I will move around so if its better to holdoff I would rather do that in case I need to move for work.

The only games I plan to play for the PC in the future are Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3. I don't really think SC2 is coming out anytime soon so I will not enter that into the equation.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
ok heres is my current setup:

AMD 3600x2 @ 2.2 ghz
1 gig DDR400 ram
ATi X1800XT

Now my dilemma is when should I time my next PC build?

I was planning to do it after I graduate in december but I'm not sure if I will move around so if its better to holdoff I would rather do that in case I need to move for work.

The only games I plan to play for the PC in the future are Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3. I don't really think SC2 is coming out anytime soon so I will not enter that into the equation.

After the introduction of the new updates from nVidia seems about as nice a time as ever.
For a nice budget build, prices aren't going to fall very much in the near future.

December seems fine, or whenever you are ready.

Top Bottom