• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gray_fox224 said:
Jesus christ, my computer doesn't want to start up! It crashes everytime I boot. What the hell is going on here?

Vista 64 bit
4GB

Where is it crashing, what is crashing?

Hey guys, i've had a Q6600 G0 for a while now and I've decided i'm going to overclock it. I've ordered a Xigmatek Red Scorpion S1283 and some MX-2 thermal paste: both of which are supposed to be at the high end of the spectrum.

I know the basics, I go into my BIOS and up the speed in line with my multiplier (which should be 9, I think). My question is am I going to need to mess around with voltage to get up to 3.4ghz or so, and do I need to mess around with my RAM? I see a lot of overclockers demanding doing the CPU and RAM together, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering shitloads of people buy DDR800 and CPU's faster than mine.

Thanks in advance!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
IronicallyTwisted said:
Hey guys, i've had a Q6600 G0 for a while now and I've decided i'm going to overclock it. I've ordered a Xigmatek Red Scorpion S1283 and some MX-2 thermal paste: both of which are supposed to be at the high end of the spectrum.

I know the basics, I go into my BIOS and up the speed in line with my multiplier (which should be 9, I think). My question is am I going to need to mess around with voltage to get up to 3.4ghz or so, and do I need to mess around with my RAM? I see a lot of overclockers demanding doing the CPU and RAM together, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering shitloads of people buy DDR800 and CPU's faster than mine.

Thanks in advance!

Say again? Don't you know how to OC past 3.4GHz already?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11136962&postcount=1762

IronicallyTwisted said:
Crysis uses 4 cores. I don't know where this rumour began but every core gets a workout when I am playing Crysis. I got a massive performance boost when I took my Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.7. All I said originally was that an 8800GT and an X2 6000 isn't a balanced system. For someone with that processor the most I would recommend getting is a 9600/3870/3850.

Sure you can :lol

At that resolution on high any anti aliasing absolutely destroys any non multi GPU card on the market. I should know, i've tried outputting to my 1080p and our graphics cards are almost identical.

Waikis

IronicallyTwisted said:

Thanks in advance!

You will need to mess around with the CPU voltage ,NB voltage and possibily Ram voltage at the minimum. As for the Ram, you will probably need to change the timings and FSB strapping especially if you are linking your Ram (1:1).

Also remember that higher FSB doesnt necessarily mean more performance, so mess around with the multiplier until find your sweet spot.

If you are unsure , just try this basic settings:

Multiplier : 8x
FSB: 420Mhz
Memory : Linked Or FSB 333/400 and choose 1:1 timing ( So memory would be at 840Mhz.)
Mem voltage: 2.1v
Cpu voltage :1.35v

That should do the trick.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
IronicallyTwisted said:
A friend of mine did that for me, unfortunately. This is a different PC now, but I can't remember if he fiddled with the voltages or not.

It was also a different motherboard, which (I believe) linked the FSB's together.
I only know how to OC with AMD OverDrive, which is pretty automatic. I can't help.

Waikis said:
You will need to mess around with the CPU voltage ,NB voltage and possibily Ram voltage at the minimum. As for the Ram, you will probably need to change the timings and FSB strapping especially if you are linking your Ram (1:1).

Also remember that higher FSB doesnt necessarily mean more performance, so mess around with the multiplier until find your sweet spot.

If you are unsure , just try this basic settings:

Multiplier : 8x
FSB: 420Mhz
Memory : Linked Or FSB 333/400 and choose 1:1 timing ( So memory would be at 840Mhz.)
Mem voltage: 2.1v
Cpu voltage :1.35v

That should do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping I could avoid tampering with voltages because thats where things can go horribly wrong, evidently i've got no such luck.

Again I don't quite understand why RAM needs to be overclocked when people buy faster CPU's with the same RAM I have all the time.

Zzoram

IronicallyTwisted said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping I could avoid tampering with voltages because thats where things can go horribly wrong, evidently i've got no such luck.

Again I don't quite understand why RAM needs to be overclocked when people buy faster CPU's with the same RAM I have all the time.

Apparently the system is more stable or something if the RAM and FSB are 1:1, and with overclocking you worry a lot about stability. Rated RAM speed is double what it is, and the true FSB is divided by whatever multiplier your CPU has. So with an 8x multiplier on an E8400, at 400MHz FSB (400x8=3.6GHz) you want RAM at 400MHz (x2=800MHz).

Zzoram said:
Apparently the system is more stable or something if the RAM and FSB are 1:1, and with overclocking you worry a lot about stability. Rated RAM speed is double what it is, and the true FSB is divided by whatever multiplier your CPU has. So with an 8x multiplier on an E8400, at 400MHz FSB (400x8=3.6GHz) you want RAM at 400MHz (x2=800MHz).

But even if I wanted to go to 3.6 ghz, I could do a 9x400 overlock and still be using my DDR2 800's default 400mhz FSB as well, which the motherboard should do by default, no? That is still a 1:1 ratio.

Waikis recommended an 8x multiplier, and i'm not sure why. That does require a RAM fsb overclock of 20mhz.

Waikis

TheHeretic said:
But even if I wanted to go to 3.6 ghz, I could do a 9x400 overlock and still be using my DDR2 800's default 400mhz FSB as well, which the motherboard should do by default, no? That is still a 1:1 ratio.

Waikis recommended an 8x multiplier, and i'm not sure why. That does require a RAM fsb overclock of 20mhz.

No reason really : p . 9x400 would be fine as well and yeah your memory would also be fine.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Zyzyxxz said:
ok heres is my current setup:

AMD 3600x2 @ 2.2 ghz
1 gig DDR400 ram
ATi X1800XT

Now my dilemma is when should I time my next PC build?

I was planning to do it after I graduate in december but I'm not sure if I will move around so if its better to holdoff I would rather do that in case I need to move for work.

The only games I plan to play for the PC in the future are Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3. I don't really think SC2 is coming out anytime soon so I will not enter that into the equation.

amd is supposed to come out with new phenoms by the end of november. rumor is they'll be the first to do quad core right.

Cheeto

Cheeto said:
Hey, I'm about to run cables from my PC to HT, to do cross-house Dual Display, and I'm trying to weigh the pluses and minuses. I'm thinking of maybe dumping my TV cable service and using the internet instead. Anyone here do streaming TV? What are the options, or good sites to check out?
Asking again.

kakashi08

Which monitor do you suggest guys?

Dell Refurbished UltraSharp 2408WFP ($449)
or the
HP w2408h Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor ($419)

dell is refurbished, but its ultrasharp, so ?? gona be for gaming. ???

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Waikis said:
No reason really : p . 9x400 would be fine as well and yeah your memory would also be fine.

I thought multipliers were locked on CPUs? Or is it only one certain CPUs like my Q9950?

bee

kakashi08 said:
Which monitor do you suggest guys?

Dell Refurbished UltraSharp 2408WFP ($449)
or the
HP w2408h Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor ($419)

dell is refurbished, but its ultrasharp, so ?? gona be for gaming. ???

do NOT buy a dell 2408 the input lag is fucking horrific to say the least totally unsuitable for gaming but fine for photo editing etc. if that HP is 5ms it must be a TN panel if you know the limitations they have but don't care anyway then get that one

chespace said:
I thought multipliers were locked on CPUs? Or is it only one certain CPUs like my Q9950?

they're locked upwards not down

larvi

chespace said:

Multipliers are locked from going higher but not lower. 9x is stock for Q6600 so you could go to 8x but not 10x. I believe the Extreme processors can be clocked either up or down though, but they are beyond the realm of affordibility for most.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
captive said:
che, how did you over clock your cpu?

I'm still a n00b, but I read some guides on Tom's Hardware.

The Q9550 is a 8.5 multiplier. To overclock to 3.4Ghz, I upped my FSB frequency to 400Mhz and left everything else on Auto.

The Asus PQ5 Pro makes it pretty easy.

Temperatures rose by 3 or 4 degrees on idle and with Prime95, they don't exceed 65 degrees on core 0. I guess that's acceptable so I'll leave it at 3.4.

If I want to OC higher, do I need to lower the multiplier and raise my FSB frequency?

kakashi08

I orderd all of this. What you guys think? games playing on this pc will be
1. FARCRY 2
2. FALLOUT 3
3. DEAD SPACE
4. CRYSIS
- All these games will run max "except crysis" right?

MOBO: ASUS P5N DELUX 780I
GPU: 4870 1GB POWERCOLOR
PSU:ANTEC 650W
CPU: E8500
MEMORY: CORSAIR 4GB
CASE: TUNIQ 3
HD: 500GB
DVD: LG 22X
MONITOR: HP W2408
TOTAL PRICE: 1400

-how long will this pc last me?-

kakashi08 said:
I orderd all of this. What you guys think? games playing on this pc will be
1. FARCRY 2
2. FALLOUT 3
3. DEAD SPACE
4. CRYSIS
- All these games will run max "except crysis" right?

MOBO: ASUS P5N DELUX 780I
GPU: 4870 1GB POWERCOLOR
PSU:ANTEC 650W
CPU: E8500
MEMORY: CORSAIR 4GB
CASE: TUNIQ 3
HD: 500GB
DVD: LG 22X
MONITOR: HP W2408
TOTAL PRICE: 1400

-how long will this pc last me?-

You're good for at least 3 years of gaming sir.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
chespace said:
I'm still a n00b, but I read some guides on Tom's Hardware.

The Q9550 is a 8.5 multiplier. To overclock to 3.4Ghz, I upped my FSB frequency to 400Mhz and left everything else on Auto.

The Asus PQ5 Pro makes it pretty easy.

Temperatures rose by 3 or 4 degrees on idle and with Prime95, they don't exceed 65 degrees on core 0. I guess that's acceptable so I'll leave it at 3.4.

If I want to OC higher, do I need to lower the multiplier and raise my FSB frequency?
wow that's too easy not to do.
I have never overclocked anything, but damn that's scary easy, especially with our cases and their cooling.
I turned that top fan on high and it sounded like an airplane taking off. :lol

Kadey said:
From personal experience or word of mouth, how long does it take for Dell to ship laptops?
5-7 Business days for business laptops
7-10 for personal.

Worked with them now for over 5 years now and that seems about the average.

kakashi08

is HDMI same as the DVI ?
i have a hp2408 and it only has a VGA and HDMI port. but just wondering is HDMI same as DVI because im going to use a DVI to HDMI adapter. is it the same quality?

Epix

kakashi08 said:
is HDMI same as the DVI ?
i have a hp2408 and it only has a VGA and HDMI port. but just wondering is HDMI same as DVI because im going to use a DVI to HDMI adapter. is it the same quality?
HDMI and DVI are identical concerning video. DVI doesn't include audio or HDCP protection.

Also, since the HDMI spec was derived from the DVI spec, they're completely compatible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
*New page?

And now for something completely out of left field...

== Since canned air is stupidly expensive, I am looking for reusable alternatives.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZAJC2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
-Is an actual air compressor, but a shop vac I could actually see myself using occasionally.

Would a 1.5Hp (4.0amp), or a 3.0Hp (7.3amp) blower, sucker be fine for cleaning computers via airblasting?
1.5: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917713000P
3.0: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917741000P

Trying to keep cost under $40.

Or if anyone can guide me to better help :lol

AAAAAvEIqqMAAAAAAFg6wg.jpg
[/QUOTE]

SapientWolf said:
Vacuums are a no-no. They cause too much static.

Blow at it, then pick up the loose dust with vacuum. I know I will need a nozzle.

Current state of affairs here.

jqnd6b.jpg

Currently leaning towards offbrand compressor.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hmm, is it really worth me pushing my Q6600 up from 3.2GHz? Got it running at 400x8 at like 1.3475v, and the temps are around ~32c idle and ~48c with Prime running for 30 mins or so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ikuu said:
Hmm, is it really worth me pushing my Q6600 up from 3.2GHz? Got it running at 400x8 at like 1.3475v, and the temps are around ~32c idle and ~48c with Prime running for 30 mins or so.

If you don't need it, there's not much point to.

Armitage

Going to build a PC soon, looking to spend not much more than $800. I've been out of the loop for 3 years now so I have no idea what's what. GIVE ME ADVICE GAF!

Zzoram

Armitage said:
Going to build a PC soon, looking to spend not much more than $800. I've been out of the loop for 3 years now so I have no idea what's what. GIVE ME ADVICE GAF!

$800 total for tower?

E8400 Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM (2x2GB)
500gb 7200rpm SATA Seagate HDD
Asus P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
20x DVD-RW Pioneer
Antec 300 Case
Corsair 520W PSU
HD4870 1GB

If you end up having extra money, upgrade from E8400 to Q9450, get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for it, and overclock it.

captive

Zzoram said:
$800 total for tower?

E8400 Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM (2x2GB)
500gb 7200rpm SATA Seagate HDD
Asus P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
20x DVD-RW Pioneer
Antec 300 Case
Corsair 520W PSU
HD4870 1GB

If you end up having extra money, upgrade from E8400 to Q9450, get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for it, and overclock it.
Isnt the only price difference between the 512mb and the 1gig like 20-30 dollars?

rc213

Alright I seem to be quite happy with my setup so far, I think I will be doing my final install soon.

1) Does the order of drivers (Chipset,NIC,Audio,Video) & Vista updates matter?

2) Where do I get the latest Intel Chipset drivers? Intel.com = 9.0.0.1008 | Majorgeeks.com 9.0.0.1011

Also, Anyone have a GA-EP43-DS3L or any newer Gigabyte board? I have a question, Basically anytime I go into the bios and make a change and save my system appears to reboot a couple times before booting up normally.

Also anyone know a shop that has internal speakers for sale?

Ravenn17

Zzoram said:

I have an e8400. Is a 9x multiplier at 400 FSB with stock voltage and stock cooling safe? I'm getting idle temps around 43-46c. Oh, and btw, I have a gigabyte motherboard and I have a few questions about the DRAM settings.

-Should I leave performance enhance on?
-Should I be toying with the (G) MCH Frequency Latch?
-I was looking at the DRAM timing options. What's cAS Latency time? tRCD? tRD?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
At least I have my lanbox. CPU isn't as good, though.

Starting to get random blinking pixels on the desktop. Funny that none of the games really showed it except for Crysis.

Pfft, nothing will harm it like Crysis, run that sucker out until you are done with your games :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hazaro said:
Pfft, nothing will harm it like Crysis, run that sucker out until you are done with your games :lol

What I don't get is why the performance didn't suffer. Just glitchy pixels on the desktop and the occasional flashing texture. It wasn't overheating, either. Bad RAM do you think?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
What I don't get is why the performance didn't suffer. Just glitchy pixels on the desktop and the occasional flashing texture. It wasn't overheating, either. Bad RAM do you think?

You can try looping Return to Proxycon 3DMark05 to test the card out, I believe that's mostly memory intensive.

You can always back down your clocks to below stock speeds (one at a time) and see if the problem solves.

It's just artifacting a bit on Crysis, so I'd keep using it until it goes down the pooper for sure.

captive

CCC is a piece of junk and will be uninstalled. Even off a restart, without even opening it just sits there running 20% of the cpu leaking memory.

Also sitting idle one of the cores on the CPU is running 10 degrees hotter than the rest. Cores 0, 2, 3 all at 87-91 and core 1 is at like 100. Is that normal, harmful?

Mr.City

Right now the PC I'm using has an intergrated graphics card, and it's hooked up to a hdtv in my room. The maximum resolution I can is 1366 by 768. Is this a limitation due to my graphics card or my hdtv?

bee

Mr.City said:
Right now the PC I'm using has an intergrated graphics card, and it's hooked up to a hdtv in my room. The maximum resolution I can is 1366 by 768. Is this a limitation due to my graphics card or my hdtv?

your hdtv

Cheeto

Hazaro said:
*New page?

== Since canned air is stupidly expensive, I am looking for reusable alternatives.

-Is an actual air compressor, but a shop vac I could actually see myself using occasionally.

Would a 1.5Hp (4.0amp), or a 3.0Hp (7.3amp) blower, sucker be fine for cleaning computers via airblasting?

[IMG.]http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/58/3/AAAAAvEIqqMAAAAAAFg6wg.jpg[/IMG]

Blow at it, then pick up the loose dust with vacuum. I know I will need a nozzle.

[IM.G]http://i36.tinypic.com/jqnd6b.jpg[/IMG]

Currently leaning towards offbrand compressor.[/QUOTE]1.5 hp is PLENTY! Unless you keep your computer in a wine cellar... just make sure you get a blower, a computers don't like to be sucked.

Hazaro said:
*New page?

AAAAAvEIqqMAAAAAAFg6wg.jpg

jqnd6b.jpg

Currently leaning towards offbrand compressor.

Take your PC down to the local Chevron and have them kick on the free air. I do that once a year. :D

Also I'm happy to report.....

6olp8k.jpg

Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz rock solid with temps at a very reasonable 37C-40C @ ~ 1.36V. I'm going to try for 3.4 later this week and probably push it up to 3.6 later next week to see how far down the rabbit hole I can go.

Top Bottom