• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

eznark

Banned
Davidion said:
Are you using a third-party CPU cooler? My guess is no.

Also, how's your ambient/room temps?

I'm just using the stock one that came with the Q6600. The room is well, room temperature. I am going to check the fan setting to see if they may be switched to low (the fans on the case have a switch) to possibly solve the problem.

I turned off the computer last night after I reset the BIOS, and turned it on this morning to check what temps it runs at in default, it was still sort of hot at 57 degrees, so it's possible the room is hot and I just can't tell.

Davidion

eznark said:
I'm just using the stock one that came with the Q6600. The room is well, room temperature. I am going to check the fan setting to see if they may be switched to low (the fans on the case have a switch) to possibly solve the problem.

I turned off the computer last night after I reset the BIOS, and turned it on this morning to check what temps it runs at in default, it was still sort of hot at 57 degrees, so it's possible the room is hot and I just can't tell.

Honestly, OCing with a stock cooler and getting temps like that isn't too surprising.

Replacing your stock cooler would do you a world of good.

eznark

Banned
Davidion said:
Honestly, OCing with a stock cooler and getting temps like that isn't too surprising.

Replacing your stock cooler would do you a world of good.

Oh, I wasn't a whole lot surprised, although I thought I would be able to take it to 2.8 without such a dramatic jump. I was really just tinkering to tinker, I have no performance issues at this point so I'll probably hold off on a cooler and keep it at 2.4 until there is a reason to OC.

Cheeto

Khalid-S said:
No one really wanna help this guy? :(
Read the thread, every single build listed will play Crysis at high-settings. My "budget" PC I built 8 months ago for about $650, runs Crysis on high-settings.

Davidion

eznark said:
Oh, I wasn't a whole lot surprised, although I thought I would be able to take it to 2.8 without such a dramatic jump. I was really just tinkering to tinker, I have no performance issues at this point so I'll probably hold off on a cooler and keep it at 2.4 until there is a reason to OC.

Well technically your CPU can go up over 100 degrees edit: nevermind (same for your GPU) and still function properly. Of course, if you're a tinkerer, you wouldn't let such an unthinkable thing happen. :lol

"why leave it at stock when you can OC?" :lol

eznark

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Read the thread, every single build listed will play Crysis at high-settings. My "budget" PC I built 8 months ago for about $650, runs Crysis on high-settings.

especially with some of the tweaked special spec mods that people have put together, Crysis will run pretty on a whole wide range of stuff.

eznark

Banned
Davidion said:
Yeah technically your CPU can go up over 100 degrees (same for your GPU) and still function properly.

Of course, if you're a tinkerer, you wouldn't let such an unthinkable thing happen. :lol

well, I am a half-assed burgeoning PC tinkerer. This is my first build, so I'm hesitant to be too aggressive. I was under the impression that you should start worrying a bit when temps get over much 50?

Cheeto

eznark said:
well, I am a half-assed burgeoning PC tinkerer. This is my first build, so I'm hesitant to be too aggressive. I was under the impression that you should start worrying a bit when temps get over much 50?
Well that depends if we're talking about F or C degrees.

Davidion

eznark said:

Yeah even though hardware has a higher heat tolerance than most people give it credit for, the enthusiast types panic when anything hits 50 degrees, which is well below the actual limit past when you should be worrying. It's almost kinda comical, really.

For instance, ram has really high heat tolerance, more than most other parts in your rig, which essentially means ram coolers are almost always useless. But hey, they're out there. :lol

What you're doing is nice and conservative though. If you don't need the horsepower, it's perfectly sensible to hold back on the OC until you get a third-party cooler. Though there's a part of me that's yelling at myself to tell you to leave it at 2.8.

Don't mind me.

edit: yeah, using the right temperature scale helps too. :lol The critical temps are more around 90, ignore what I said before.

eznark

Banned
Celsius, all the documentation I've seen uses Celsius so I just assumed that was the standard, although as an American it is very offensive to me.

eznark

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
100C would be approaching chip-popping temps. You can run at 60-70C but you might run into errors/blue screens and the like. Generally, I think it's best to keep temps at or below 50c to avoid crashes.

video related
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=37&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

That is why I am puzzled as to why I'm running at 60C on the defaults. I assume it's been doing so the entire month+ since I've built it, and I haven't run into a single problem, even during long CoH and Crysis sessions.

Cheeto

eznark said:
That is why I am puzzled as to why I'm running at 60C on the defaults. I assume it's been doing so the entire month+ since I've built it, and I haven't run into a single problem, even during long CoH and Crysis sessions.
That's good. Some chips are more resilient then others, so you got lucky.

eznark

Banned
zoku88 said:
For reference, laptop CPUs at full load usually run to 70-80C , I believe.

I have a smaller Alienware laptop and that thing runs hot as shit, and shuts down every once in awhile cause it overheats. Damn MLB.tv mosaic eats that thing up.

I think I am going to run the Q6600 at 2.8 tonight while I do normal stuff and monitor the temp. It seemed to run around 70C when doing normal stuff but the stress testing brought it close to 90 after only like 10 minutes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Here's my current system:

Intel Core2 6300 @ 1.86 Ghz
MSI P965 Platinum Motherboard
1 GB DDR2-800 Ram
X1950 XT Video Card

Really looking at upgrading the card and memory to:

Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2-800 - $69.00 (29.00 after mail in rebate)
EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB - $229.99 (199.99 after mail in rebate)

I'm thinking good upgrade. Any thoughts? Better deals? Suggestions?

eznark

Banned
Kintaro said:

1 GB DDR2-800 Ram
X1950 XT Video Card

Just an FYI, I got an EVGA 8800 card with a rebate, and that thing came back to me like 2 weeks later, it was awesome.

Davidion

Kintaro said:

1 GB DDR2-800 Ram
X1950 XT Video Card

Get the 8800GT or GTS 512, which is based on the newer chipsets. Skip the 640.

adg1034

Kintaro said:

1 GB DDR2-800 Ram
X1950 XT Video Card

That would be a good upgrade, definitely, but you'd also do well to try and push your CPU. the 6300s have been known to (somewhat easily) get up to ~3GHz, which would likely give you greater improvement than the graphics card upgrade would. What do you have for cooling?

eznark

Banned
So i'm checking out a CPU cooler and had a quick question. Will i have to remove the motherboard to install the thing, or do they install pretty easily?

eznark said:
So i'm checking out a CPU cooler and had a quick question. Will i have to remove the motherboard to install the thing, or do they install pretty easily?

You can do it with the mobo attached to the case. But they can be a right bitch to install. Intel and their 4 prong springs idea has got to go. It can be hard to tell if the thing is actually in right and if u push too hard it can fuck it all up and you have to start again, oh and the last peg is always the hardest to get in. Bring back 2 side clip + screwdriver!

eznark said:
I have a smaller Alienware laptop and that thing runs hot as shit, and shuts down every once in awhile cause it overheats. Damn MLB.tv mosaic eats that thing up.

I think I am going to run the Q6600 at 2.8 tonight while I do normal stuff and monitor the temp. It seemed to run around 70C when doing normal stuff but the stress testing brought it close to 90 after only like 10 minutes.
I think I would honestly clock it back down to stock, buy an aftermarket cooler and then OC it again. I just wouldn't be taking that chance.

Cheeto

Kintaro said:

1 GB DDR2-800 Ram
X1950 XT Video Card

The 640mb is much better then the 320mb card. Costs about $80 less and you barely drop a percent or two in performance. That said, for $199 you better get the 8800GT which is better then both, or spring about $50 more for the 8800GTS 512 and get nice boost.

Davidion

WhatRuOn said:
The 640mb is much better then the 320mb card. Costs about $80 less and you barely drop a percent or two in performance. That said, for $199 you better get the 8800GT which is better then both, or spring about $50 more for the 8800GTS 512 and get nice boost.

You can even get a GTS 512 for $159/$169 on a good deal.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007134&prodlist=celebros

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007125&prodlist=celebros

Kintaro

eznark said:
Just an FYI, I got an EVGA 8800 card with a rebate, and that thing came back to me like 2 weeks later, it was awesome.

Nice!

Get the 8800GT or GTS 512, which is based on the newer chipsets. Skip the 640.

So, maybe this one? EVGA 8800 GT Superclocked 512 MB

That would be a good upgrade, definitely, but you'd also do well to try and push your CPU. the 6300s have been known to (somewhat easily) get up to ~3GHz, which would likely give you greater improvement than the graphics card upgrade would. What do you have for cooling?

Cooling? Just the stock fan/heatsink it came with and about 3 fans in the case.

Oh snap...difference of 50 Mhz on the core clock out of the box. Hmm..

So I removed the 2 512MB sticks from my computer and my little Windows score actually went up .2 points, also my IMs and stuff seemed to load faster when I booted up my comp...

On the phone with Dell now, gonan try to get my money back, but it loosk like I'll go ahead and order another 2GBs of RAM...

Davidion

WhatRuOn said:
Don't get the GTS confused with the GT. You almost had me pulling the trigger. GTS G92 for $160 would be a steal.

Ahh geez, second time today. My mistake, read the original thread wrong.

Tigerdirect actually had the GTS 512 on sale for $169. They fixed that mistake fast. :lol

SleazyC

eznark said:
Depends on the cooler. Alot of the larger after-market heatsinks require a mount to account for the added weight and that will require you to remove your motherboard so you can slide the mounting mechanism under the motherboard. Some heatsinks don't require this at all and you can usually tell if the heatsink comes with a mounting bracket of some sorts.

eznark

Banned
SleazyC said:
Depends on the cooler. Alot of the larger after-market heatsinks require a mount to account for the added weight and that will require you to remove your motherboard so you can slide the mounting mechanism under the motherboard. Some heatsinks don't require this at all and you can usually tell if the heatsink comes with a mounting bracket of some sorts.

Yeah, I was reading about some that require the mounting bracket. I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of removing the motherboard right now.

SleazyC

eznark said:
Yeah, I was reading about some that require the mounting bracket. I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of removing the motherboard right now.
I held off on getting a third party heatsink for some time because I was just way to lazy to remove the motherboard and deal with installing the mounting bracket. Finally got around to doing it a couple weeks ago when I recieved my RMA motherboard and had to piece everything together anyways.

Probably the best cooling site on the net that I have seen is Frostytech. They test all kinds of cooling components and do noise tests as well if you are someone who doesn't like a very loud heatsink. Definitely a nice resource to have when doing research for a heatsink or other cooling component.

eznark

Banned
SleazyC said:
I held off on getting a third party heatsink for some time because I was just way to lazy to remove the motherboard and deal with installing the mounting bracket. Finally got around to doing it a couple weeks ago when I recieved my RMA motherboard and had to piece everything together anyways.

Probably the best cooling site on the net that I have seen is Frostytech. They test all kinds of cooling components and do noise tests as well if you are someone who doesn't like a very loud heatsink. Definitely a nice resource to have when doing research for a heatsink or other cooling component.

awesome, just a quick glance at the site and it looks great. Thanks

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Got a bad dimm from new egg, it wont pass memtest :(, Ill post my 3D mark score in a couple minutes based on only 2GB of ram Vista 64.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I got a "common" 13161 score from 3D mark, this is running my system with only 2Gigs of ram, and stock settings for everything. I'll see if I can improve on it later.

Cheeto

godhandiscen said:
I got a "common" 13161 score from 3D mark, this is running my system with only 2Gigs of ram, and stock settings for everything. I'll see if I can improve on it later.
What year of 3dMark?

Kosma

Banned
I'm having the weirdest problems with my USB headset. It sometimes disconnects and the screen freezes, and I have to restart all the programs else the sound doesnt come back :S

Kintaro

eznark said:
Kintaro, the 8800 GT Superclocked is the one I went with, I'm a big fan of it so far. Not a single problem.

How is the noise level when playing games? The 1950 XT I have now is a goddamned jet engine when playing anything. Sounds like my case is going to take off in flight. =x

eznark

Banned
Kintaro said:
How is the noise level when playing games? The 1950 XT I have now is a goddamned jet engine when playing anything. Sounds like my case is going to take off in flight. =x

super quiet. I don't know how much my case has to do with it, but I can't hear much more than a low hum.

Manp

so after a month "of work" my new pc is finally complete

config:
c2d e8400 + zalman 9700
asus p5e
8gb ddr2-800
2x maxtor 250gb sata raid 0
1x maxtor 160gb sata
xfx 8800gt + zalman vf1000 + copper heatsinks for ram
ocz 600w
dvd-rw nec 7200 sata
coolermaster 690
vista home premium 64bit

:)

Kintaro

eznark said:
super quiet. I don't know how much my case has to do with it, but I can't hear much more than a low hum.

Nice.

You know what's odd? I can't help but want to upgrade my CPU and Mobo too. =x I don't know what, but I get in the mindset and off I go. =x

Davidion

eznark said:
a month ago, maybe 6 weeks, why?

Just wanted to check. The first batch of 8800gt's had a bum fan AND drivers, which not only didn't move a lot of air, it was perpetually locked at 29% speed by Nvidia's own drivers. The fan's been switched out on most recent models. I'm stuck with one of these and have to use rivatuner in order to maintain a good fan speed.

I was thinking maybe that your GPU was just putting out a lot of heat due to that and that's what was contributing to your high CPU temps.

Manp

aznpxdd said:
Nice setup. How are the temps for your e8400 and 8800gt?

actually i've never really checked... i've put fans on lower possible speed and that's it. only thing i want is as less noise as possible.

Davidion

Manp said:
actually i've never really checked... i've put fans on lower possible speed and that's it. only thing i want is as less noise as possible.

Primo looking rig. I'm always envious of good wire management.

eznark

Banned
Davidion said:
Just wanted to check. The first batch of 8800gt's had a bum fan AND drivers, which not only didn't move a lot of air, it was perpetually locked at 29% speed by Nvidia's own drivers. The fan's been switched out on most recent models. I'm stuck with one of these and have to use rivatuner in order to maintain a good fan speed.

I was thinking maybe that your GPU was just putting out a lot of heat due to that and that's what was contributing to your high CPU temps.

How recent was this change? I just got home and opened up the case and yeah, the GPU is real hot, of course, I have no idea how hot is normal.

Right now, running only thunderbird and firefox at the standard 2.4, the core temps are 45/45/45/39

Seems hot, no?

Top Bottom