• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Cheeto

Tiduz said:
i was thinking about getting one of those two, the 8800GT or the 9800GTX, but if you say the 8800GT performs just as well ill go with that instead :D

Any difference if i take the MSI 512MB or 1GB? Not much of a price difference but i dont know about the cooling on the 1gb, heard REALLY good things about the 8800GT 512MB MSI card.

Edit: i just read you said GTS, ill look into that then ;)
Yea, in laymans... the good cards to buy now go like this:

9600GT(less then $140) < 8800GT(About $150) < 8800GTS(G92)($200-$230) = 9800GTX($300, not worth it)

9800GTX IMO isn't worth the money since Nvidia is introducing new cards in June/July. I think I'll be picking up a new GPU next Summer time once the physics cards get integrated into the Nvidia chip cores.

Also in reading over at the [H]ard forums, a lot of people aren't that happy with the performance of the GTX.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
yes, im glad i asked, ill get an 8800GTS, i read it needs 400 watts minimal but i got a 500 watts psu so i should be okay.

Tiduz said:
yes, im glad i asked, ill get an 8800GTS, i read it needs 400 watts minimal but i got a 500 watts psu so i should be okay.
You planning SLi in the future? I would say if you plan on doing that, you may want to consider a 600w for down the road.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
yeah, no im not looking for SLI in the future, my next update will probably be next year when the Nehalem CPU is out ;)

aeolist

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
9800GTX IMO isn't worth the money since Nvidia is introducing new cards in June/July. I think I'll be picking up a new GPU next Summer time once the physics cards get integrated into the Nvidia chip cores.

Also in reading over at the [H]ard forums, a lot of people aren't that happy with the performance of the GTX.
They're not going to "integrate" the Ageia cards into the GeForce line, GPUs are already set up to perform physics calculations much faster than the PhysX card did. They're porting the PhysX software suite over to CUDA, which lets developers make programs that take advantage of the GPU hardware for things other than 3D rendering, and CUDA is already compatible with every 8800 card and the 9000 series so far.

Artofwar420

aeolist said:
They're not going to "integrate" the Ageia cards into the GeForce line, GPUs are already set up to perform physics calculations much faster than the PhysX card did. They're porting the PhysX software suite over to CUDA, which lets developers make programs that take advantage of the GPU hardware for things other than 3D rendering, and CUDA is already compatible with every 8800 card and the 9000 series so far.

Yep, it's going to be just a patch. So whatever card you get, it'll be "physics" injected with a patch.

dazzgc

Banned
Just a quick hardware question for you guys out there. Im looking at getting Age of Conan and a new pc soon. Based on beta and recommended specs with a e8400 oced, 4gb 800hmz ram,
8800gt 512mb along with decent ps and mobo will this be ok to run 1920x1080 on high at decent frame rate?

anyone else building a rig for Conan or other high end games to run on a 1080p set what do you reccomend budget up to 2.5k for the box but if i can save spending too much that would be good

aeolist

Banned
Artofwar420 said:
This is a really helpful thread, thanks for making it.

Which of these two 8800GT 512MB cards would you get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16814130318,N82E16814130319

One is an 8800GT overclocked, and the other one is a "regular" one. I think the only difference would be stability, and $20 price, but have any of you guys had issues with overclocked video cards?
I have the normal EVGA 8800GT overclocked to 700MHz GPU/1GHz RAM using nTune with no problems. Wouldn't bother spending extra on the factory overclocked model.

Artofwar420

aeolist said:
I have the normal EVGA 8800GT overclocked to 700MHz GPU/1GHz RAM using nTune with no problems. Wouldn't bother spending extra on the factory overclocked model.

So you're saying you got the stock one, and with ntune overclocked it to 700 or 1 GHZ?

Artofwar420

aeolist said:
Yes. The GPU goes to 700MHz, the RAM to 1GHz (2GHz effective), which is faster than that factory overclocked card. Just get the normal GT and download this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Thanks dude, I appreciate the help. Though my current 7600GS was doing an average job until the holiday season of '07, right as all the cool new PC games came out, I realized that I needed to upgrade, the 8800GT fits the bill for me.

The only question I have is, SLI OR wait a year or so, then upgrade again?

SOON BIOSHOCK, SOON!

Artofwar420

aznpxdd said:
SLi is kinda useless unless you play games at 1920x1200 or higher.

So I wouldn't benefit much from it at lower resolutions? EDIT: I guess not. So unless I get a bigger monitor I will stick my one card.

GHG

Ok, I have a question about Vista 64bit so thought I'll post it here, seems like the best place.

Is 2GB enough to run it efficiently or will I need more? Also, what are the benefits to gaming that come with vista 64?

Cheeto

GHG said:
Ok, I have a question about Vista 64bit so thought I'll post it here, seems like the best place.

Is 2GB enough to run it efficiently or will I need more? Also, what are the benefits to gaming that come with vista 64?
You don't need more than 2gb, but it is nice to have more since 64bit will handle it correctly. Besides memory, you should notice that CPU operations will be faster with 64bit.

zoku88

GHG said:

You don't *need* more RAM, but of course, your system would run faster with more RAM (in day-to-day use.) Since RAM is so cheap, anyway, you might as well get 4GB.

aeolist

Banned
aznpxdd said:
Get at least 4GB of ram for Vista, it'll run sooo much smoother.
Have to second this, I just went from 2 to 4 recently and while I don't see much better gaming performance, load times are faster, I get back to the desktop instantly when I quit games, and there's far less hard drive thrashing overall.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GHG said:

I was running Vista 64, with single channel memory and it was fine, but the space of memory available for games was very limited. Also, realize that due to the 64 bits addressing of Vista 64, the footprint will be larger. In my experience, Vista 64 took 1.1 Gigs with only the OS loaded when I had 2Gigs. Now I have 8 Gigs dual channel and it takes 1.5GB without runnign any application. If I was you, I wouldn't go for Vista 64 unless I had 4Gigs. Stick to Vista 32.

itxaka

Defeatist
so what do you think guys?
I´m almost decided.

GF8800GT Super+ (1GB) (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (2x 3000 MHz)
Coolmaster RealPower M 520W (520 vatios)
Asus P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI)
Seagate ST3500630AS (500,0 GB)
OCZ DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 (2048 MB)
+ Box

712€

I already got Monitor (21" FTW) and XP license.

What do you thik? anything I should change to better?

itxaka said:
so what do you think guys?
I´m almost decided.

GF8800GT Super+ (1GB) (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (2x 3000 MHz)
Coolmaster RealPower M 520W (520 vatios)
Asus P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI)
Seagate ST3500630AS (500,0 GB)
OCZ DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 (2048 MB)
+ Box

712&#8364;

I already got Monitor (21" FTW) and XP license.

What do you thik? anything I should change to better?

Don't bother with an 8800GT 1GB, especially if you are going SLi (which you should be if you are buying that motherboard). With the money saved get an E8400 or an extra 2GB of ram. If you are going to SLi you should know 2 9600GT's perform almost identically compared to 2 8800 GT's. The 9600 GT's are cooler and use less power, as well.

itxaka

Defeatist
oo Kosma oo said:
The mailing address where does parts need to be delivered. I'm PM'ing you the right one right now.

I´ll take that as good? :)

What I don´t understand is:

1. The E6850 is cheaper than the E6600. Why? Less overclock available?

2. WTF is worng with nvidia cards? there are like a fuckgazillion of them. And why a 8800GT 1GB is cheaper than a 8800GT 768MB????

Apart from that, gaming is coming to daddy. Come Stalker, come Crisys, let me lick your boxes while I wait for the parts.

Don't bother with an 8800GT 1GB, especially if you are going SLi (which you should be if you are buying that motherboard). With the money saved get an E8400 or an extra 2GB of ram. If you are going to SLi you should know 2 9600GT's perform almost identically compared to 2 8800 GT's. The 9600 GT's are cooler and use less power, as well.

I´m not going SLi...for the moment. I wanted to reserve it for the future in case of.
I´ll probably will get those 2 GB extras anyway so....

9600GT (512MB?) or 8800GT 1GB?

itxaka said:
2. WTF is worng with nvidia cards? there are like a fuckgazillion of them. And why a 8800GT 1GB is cheaper than a 8800GT 768MB????

Can you link the cards specifically?

itxaka said:
I´m not going SLi...for the moment. I wanted to reserve it for the future in case of.
I´ll probably will get those 2 GB extras anyway so....

9600GT (512MB?) or 8800GT 1GB?

If getting a 9600GT enables you to get an E8400/Q6600 CPU I would definately do that, as the CPU in your build is a little dated. If not, just get the 8800GT.

itxaka

Defeatist
IronicallyTwisted said:
Can you link the cards specifically?

If getting a 9600GT enables you to get an E8400/Q6600 CPU I would definately do that, as the CPU in your build is a little dated. If not, just get the 8800GT.

to 1. My bad I mislead the GT and the GTS. So many cards :)

to 2. getting the Q6600 and the 4GB just pump the price 80€ so it´s not a problem.

RealPower M 520W (520 vatios) - 69€
Box Cavalier 3 (5 x 5,25" externas) - 64€
DVR-115DBK - 25€
P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI) - 77€
ST3500630AS (500,0 GB) - 80€
DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 (2048 MB) * 2 - 68€
GF8800GT Super+ (1GB) (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT) - 204€
Core 2 Quad Q6600 (4x 2400 MHz) - 179€

Grand Total: 766€!!!

I´m still not sure about the graphics card :/

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
oo Kosma oo said:
Nooo don't get the Quad. Go for a fast Dual Core for gaming!
This is true for current titles, but I heard Supreme Commander is already optimized for Quad, an future titles such as StarCraft 2 will definitely be optimized for Quad.

Also, isnt the GTS way much better than any other Nvidia card right now saving the 9800GX2? I would go for the GTS now if you really want your build to be future proof.

oo Kosma oo said:
Nooo don't get the Quad. Go for a fast Dual Core for gaming!

The Q6600 is the multitasking CPU, the E8400 is the pure performance CPU.

Of course, code optimised for 4 cores offers serious advantages, and with 8 core CPU's around the corner the Q6600 is a long term shoe in.

godhandiscen said:
Also, isnt the GTS way much better than any other Nvidia card right now saving the 9800GX2? I would go for the GTS now if you really want your build to be future proof.

The 9800 GTX is the king of the single GPU cards ATM, maybe 20% better than the 8800 GTS.

itxaka

Defeatist
itxaka said:
RealPower M 520W (520 vatios) - 69€
Box Cavalier 3 (5 x 5,25" externas) - 64€
DVR-115DBK - 25€
P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI) - 77€
ST3500630AS (500,0 GB) - 80€
DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 (2048 MB) * 2 - 68€
GF8800GTS (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS) 512MB - 195€
Core 2 Duo E8400 (2x 3000 MHz) - 179€

Grand Total: 757€!!!

Ok! That one is pretty final rigth? I don´t know how can I make it better without spending too much money :)

Thanks for the help with the CPU and Graphics. I let pass too much time between PCs ;)

itxaka said:
Ok! That one is pretty final rigth? I don´t know how can I make it better without spending too much money :)

Thanks for the help with the CPU and Graphics. I let pass too much time between PCs ;)

Looking sharp ;D

From here I would you have two options:

Single GPU, 8800 GTS 512
SLi, 9600 GT

Theres no point in having an 8800 GTS 512 in SLi as the [lack of] performance doesn't justify the cost. Apart from that your build is great.

itxaka

Defeatist
IronicallyTwisted said:
Looking sharp ;D

From here I would you have two options:

Single GPU, 8800 GTS 512
SLi, 9600 GT

Theres no point in having an 8800 GTS 512 in SLi as the [lack of] performance doesn't justify the cost. Apart from that your build is great.

yeah, i´ll probably end up with that setup and change the card when times comes. Don´t want to bother with SLi for the moment.

How about a motherboard change? If i´m not gonna use SLi there is any issue? Is gonna work worst?

itxaka said:
yeah, i´ll probably end up with that setup and change the card when times comes. Don´t want to bother with SLi for the moment.

How about a motherboard change? If i´m not gonna use SLi there is any issue? Is gonna work worst?

Won't work any worse, its just that SLi adds to the cost of the motherboard. If you aren't going to use it I wouldn't bother. If you are thinking of using it in the future for an upgrade, 2 GPU's on the same card are becoming more popular, and your motherboard will be useless for a full upgrade anyway because the next big CPU change requires a differen't CPU slot.

Still, theres nothing wrong with options.

itxaka

Defeatist
IronicallyTwisted said:
Won't work any worse, its just that SLi adds to the cost of the motherboard. If you aren't going to use it I wouldn't bother. If you are thinking of using it in the future for an upgrade, 2 GPU's on the same card are becoming more popular, and your motherboard will be useless for a full upgrade anyway because the next big CPU change requires a differen't CPU slot anyway.

Still, theres nothing wrong with options.

Thanks for clarifing it :)

Based on that I changed the motherboard for a SLi Gigabyte much better for 20€ more.
It has;
bus frecuency: 1333Mhz (the other 1033)
4XDDR2@1066Mhz (other 800)
6 Sata and 2 Sata2 (older had 4 and 1) Plus IDE just-in-case :)

I´ll rather get this one just in case.

Grand Total 777€ the neighbour of the beast ;)

Thanks for your help guys! As soon as I get it i´ll post some benchmarks if I can stop playing :)

itxaka said:
Thanks for clarifing it :)

Based on that I changed the motherboard for a SLi Gigabyte much better for 20&#8364; more.
It has;
bus frecuency: 1333Mhz (the other 1033)
4XDDR2@1066Mhz (other 800)
6 Sata and 2 Sata2 (older had 4 and 1) Plus IDE just-in-case :)

I´ll rather get this one just in case.

Grand Total 777&#8364; the neighbour of the beast ;)

Thanks for your help guys! As soon as I get it i´ll post some benchmarks if I can stop playing :)

Hehe enjoy dude. Tweaking your PC build is probably both the most annoying and awesome process around. Anyway you are cruising now!

GHG

Ok guys I'm confused as fuck right now looking at GPUs. There are so many versions of the 8800 card (GT and GTS) from so many manufacturers with different clock levels and amounts of RAM. Seriously... WTF.

Am I thinking about this too much or something? I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, I don't like buying something only to find out the next day I could have got something better for the same price. Does anyone know what the best version of the 8800GT/GTS is?

Or is there a completely different card (3870? 9600 series? Or even the 9800 series?) for the same price range (up to £150) that would be better?

Grifter

Asked in the Conan thread but this would be the right place for this:

Can I get some upgrade suggestions for Conan? My fiance's been bugging me for months and I was secretly hoping they were following Blizzard's example with requirements (nobody seems to learn).

I have an Athlon 64 2500, 1.25 RAM, and a Radeon 9800GTO. Do I need to overhaul and get a new mobo and change my RAM format, or is there an AGP option I can click in?

Grifter said:

Can I get some upgrade suggestions for Conan? My fiance's been bugging me for months and I was secretly hoping they were following Blizzard's example with requirements (nobody seems to learn).

I have an Athlon 64 2500, 1.25 RAM, and a Radeon 9800GTO. Do I need to overhaul and get a new mobo and change my RAM format, or is there an AGP option I can click in?
your only choice really is the 3850 AGP card which runs over $200 bucks at the moment. Runs circles around the X1950 which is dated.

honestly though, you'd be better off on upgrading to PCI-E; At first I was going to plug in a new AGP card but then finally said F IT and built a new PC and it's a world of difference.

Link to the NewEgg Card : here

SRG01

Grifter said:

What's your motherboard socket? You can potentially upgrade the motherboard to a PCI-E one.

Top Bottom