• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

GHG

Grifter said:
Asked in the Conan thread but this would be the right place for this:

Can I get some upgrade suggestions for Conan? My fiance's been bugging me for months and I was secretly hoping they were following Blizzard's example with requirements (nobody seems to learn).

I have an Athlon 64 2500, 1.25 RAM, and a Radeon 9800GTO. Do I need to overhaul and get a new mobo and change my RAM format, or is there an AGP option I can click in?

That CPU would bottleneck any decent card. In all honesty you'd be better off putting any money you have now towards a new build. Presumably you have a HDD and a disk drive (you've got some Ram as stated) and your case might even do the job so it wont cost all that much in the end for a new mobo, decent CPU and GPU.

Cheeto

GHG said:
Ok guys I'm confused as fuck right now looking at GPUs. There are so many versions of the 8800 card (GT and GTS) from so many manufacturers with different clock levels and amounts of RAM. Seriously... WTF.

Am I thinking about this too much or something? I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, I don't like buying something only to find out the next day I could have got something better for the same price. Does anyone know what the best version of the 8800GT/GTS is?

Or is there a completely different card (3870? 9600 series? Or even the 9800 series?) for the same price range (up to £150) that would be better?
If you get either the 8800GT 512, or the 8800GTS 512...whichever is within your budget, it won't disappoint. EVGA is my choice for manufacturer, simply for the support and trade in offers.

Grifter

SRG01 said:
What's your motherboard socket? You can potentially upgrade the motherboard to a PCI-E one.

Socket 754 but wouldn't I need a better CPU anyway?

GHG said:
Presumably you have a HDD and a disk drive (you've got some Ram as stated) and your case might even do the job so it wont cost all that much in the end for a new mobo, decent CPU and GPU.

My case and drives should be fine (is SATA standard yet?) However, can I still use my PC2700 (or PC3200, don't recall) RAM?

GHG

Grifter said:

My case and drives should be fine (is SATA standard yet?) However, can I still use my PC2700 (or PC3200, don't recall) RAM?

I think in that case you may well be better off getting some new RAM as well then. Its dirt cheap anyway, so getting a matched pair of 1GB sticks to make 2GB wont even make much of a dent in your budget.

aeolist

Banned
Grifter with a setup that old I honestly would avoid spending any money on it until you can replace the whole thing. It's just not worth it for what you'd have to spend.

SRG01

Grifter said:

Yeah, you're better off getting a new system then. You're using at least two-generation old RAM. And keep in mind that generations back then were more than one full year.

Grifter

OK, thanks for the help, guys! My initial estimate of $500 is now approaching 1K but what are some bang-for-the-buck items ATM for MB, CPU and vid card? Should I stick to Crucial for my RAM?

Yeah, it's pretty old but I hopped out of the PC gaming because of the upgrade cycle in the first place. The last upgrade was for HL2 which is now on going through bootcamp on my Macbook Pro.

GHG

Grifter said:
OK, thanks for the help, guys! My initial estimate of $500 is now approaching 1K but what are some bang-for-the-buck items ATM for MB, CPU and vid card? Should I stick to Crucial for my RAM?

Yeah, it's pretty old but I hopped out of the PC gaming because of the upgrade cycle in the first place. The last upgrade was for HL2 which is now on going through bootcamp on my Macbook Pro.

What games do you want to play? Do you want a Crysis capable rig (when I say capable, I mean high, not maxed out settings :lol ) or do you not care for Crysis much and you just want a rig capable of playing everything else to a good level?

aeolist

Banned
Grifter said:

Stick with AMD for cheap processors, they're not as good as the Core 2 Duo on benchmarks but you spend a lot more on Intel.

As far as video cards go the 9600GT is probably the best price/performance card out right now.

RAM is cheap and you should get at least 2GB, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Buffalo, and OCZ are all good brands.

SRG01

Grifter said:

I think you'll be able to re-use the PSU and the case, since it should be ATX. All the optical drives you can save too.

That should net you well under $500 for new parts, even including a new HDD. I don't know about Windows though. If you're in school, you should check to see whether they have MSDN-AA licenses.

Grifter

GHG said:
What games do you want to play? Do you want a Crysis capable rig (when I say capable, I mean high, not maxed out settings :lol ) or do you not care for Crysis much and you just want a rig capable of playing everything else to a good level?

Just something versatile so that my wife can play Conan and I can try something if I catch the bug. Will probably get TF2. No desire for Crysis.

aeolist said:
Stick with AMD for cheap processors, they're not as good as the Core 2 Duo on benchmarks but you spend a lot more on Intel.

Nice, I was under the impression that AMD got outclassed by the C2D, even for value.

SRG01 said:
I think you'll be able to re-use the PSU and the case, since it should be ATX. All the optical drives you can save too.

That should net you well under $500 for new parts, even including a new HDD. I don't know about Windows though. If you're in school, you should check to see whether they have MSDN-AA licenses.

Yeah, my SATA and IDE drives, Lite-On DVD burner, and Antec case, and XP should be fine. Think I had a 300w PSU but also replaced a PSU in my old PC w/a 500w that didn't screw in correctly so I'll bust that out.

SRG01

Grifter said:
Nice, I was under the impression that AMD got outclassed by the C2D, even for value.

Dollar on dollar, AMD beats Intel easily on performance (edit: at the low end). Intel's only competing class at that level is their E4xxx and E2xxx lines, which are terrible.

However, AMD has no options to compete at the mid-to-higher end, since dollar on dollar they are worse. Phenom X4 and X3 are terrible.

Leopold

Hay guyz,

I'm planning to get new rig, could you please take a look at the specs?

Intel E4500 2.2GHz
2GB RAM DD2 Kingston
HD 400 GB SATA 2
Mobo Intel DG33 BUC
Geforce 9600 GT 512

Goes for R$ 1600 (Brasil) or somewhat around U$$ 800.

Is it good? Would you recommend exchanging any parts? I can't spend more, so please, don't say that i'm supposed to buy a 9800 GTX :lol

That's it.

SRG01

Leopold said:
Hay guyz,

I'm planning to get new rig, could you please take a look at the specs?

Intel E4500 2.2GHz
2GB RAM DD2 Kingston
HD 400 GB SATA 2
Mobo Intel DG33 BUC
Geforce 9600 GT 512

Goes for R$ 1600 (Brasil) or somewhat around U$$ 800.

Is it good? Would you recommend exchanging any parts? I can't spend more, so please, don't say that i'm supposed to buy a 9800 GTX :lol

That's it.

Don't bother getting the E4xxx lines unless you're overclocking. Stock performance is abysmal.

My old motherboard seems to lick ass! I built my PC back in fall 2006.

It's got a PCI-E but it can't even take in a 8800GT! Didn't even recognize it.

I was just looking to upgrade the AMD X2 processor a bit and get a new card, but dammit I don't want to get a new motherboard too!

The monies, I have little of it!!

#@%#^#&$!

Leopold

SRG01 said:
Don't bother getting the E4xxx lines unless you're overclocking. Stock performance is abysmal.

Do you have any suggestions on any other proc. that would fit this mobo round the same price? Or maybe another mobo + proc?

SRG01

Leopold said:
Do you have any suggestions on any other proc. that would fit this mobo round the same price? Or maybe another mobo + proc?

If you are not OC'ing, then you should go with AMD at that price point.
If you want to OC, then you should go with your current processor.
If you have an extra bit of cash, then any of the E/Q6000 or E8000 series would be good.

SRG01

HomerSimpson-Man said:
My old motherboard seems to lick ass! I built my PC back in fall 2006.

It's got a PCI-E but it can't even take in a 8800GT! Didn't even recognize it.

I was just looking to upgrade the AMD X2 processor a bit and get a new card, but dammit I don't want to get a new motherboard too!

The monies, I have little of it!!

#@%#^#&$!

How could it not detect the video card? Did you try turning off onboard video in the BIOS?

SRG01 said:
How could it not detect the video card? Did you try turning off onboard video in the BIOS?

Yeah, I tried turning off the on board video to make sure, but my monitor didn't even detect the new card, just says the old make sure monitor is properly connected default screen stuff.

I used the 8800GT for a friends PC that I built and it was recognized instantaneously. Is my PCI-E slot borked?

zoku88

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah, I tried turning off the on board video to make sure, but my monitor didn't even detect the new card, just says the old make sure monitor is properly connected default screen stuff.

I used the 8800GT for a friends PC that I built and it was recognized instantaneously. Is my PCI-E slot borked?
Wait, so when you put another 8800GT in your computer, it worked? Wouldn't that imply that there's something wrong with your card rather than your mobo?

GHG

WhatRuOn said:
If you get either the 8800GT 512, or the 8800GTS 512...whichever is within your budget, it won't disappoint. EVGA is my choice for manufacturer, simply for the support and trade in offers.

Are the 1gb versions no good then?

GHG said:
Are the 1gb versions no good then?

I didn't think there were 1GB versions. I did remember reading about other cards having a gig and them not being worth it.

The point I think the poster is trying to make is if you get an 8800GTS get one with 512MB memory. These are actually better than those with 640MB (and 320MB). In fact, it goes:

512MB 8800GTS > 512MB 8800GT >>> 640MB 8800GTS

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
WhatRuOn said:
Nah, not worth the cost at all.
You will be able to max texture settings in any game though. It allows me to do it with Crysis.

zoku88 said:
Wait, so when you put another 8800GT in your computer, it worked? Wouldn't that imply that there's something wrong with your card rather than your mobo?

No, no, I meant when I used the same 8800GT card and put into my friends set-up it worked, but on my motherboard, it was nada!

aeolist

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
No, no, I meant when I used the same 8800GT card and put into my friends set-up it worked, but on my motherboard, it was nada!
I think the 8800GTs have a few problems on some older motherboard, since the cards are PCI-E 2.0. They're supposed to be backwards compatible with 1.1 and 1.0 but I'm pretty sure that's not always the case.

aeolist said:
I think the 8800GTs have a few problems on some older motherboard, since the cards are PCI-E 2.0. They're supposed to be backwards compatible with 1.1 and 1.0 but I'm pretty sure that's not always the case.

Aye, I think this is probably it. Is there anyway to see which manufacturer's 8800GT is compatible with a 1.0/1.1 motherboard?

aeolist

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Aye, I think this is probably it. Is there anyway to see which manufacturer's 8800GT is compatible with a 1.0/1.1 motherboard?
I don't think that's something they list on official web pages. You're better off just googling tech forum posts.

If you buy a new motherboard just make sure you get one with PCI-E 2.0.

GHG

HomerSimpson-Man said:

You might have to upgrade the bios on your mobo. Whats the motherboard model/make?

GHG

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Thank you very much for the help.

Done a bit of internet forum research on the issue and it seems the 8800GT (and the 512mb version of the 8800gts) is having a problem with VIA chipsets. All other video cards seem to be working fine with the boards with the VIA chipset so its quite a strange problem. Some mobo manufacturers have provided fixes via bios updates and the cards work fine whereas most are yet to provide an update. Another option... you could flash your 8800GT to make it compatible (it basically makes it a PCI-E 1.0 card) but you'd be better off buying a different card since it voids warranty and is a lot of hassle. Just hope and pray that bios update fixes the issue.

Ahh the wonders of new technology...

GHG said:
Done a bit of internet forum research on the issue and it seems the 8800GT is having a problem with VIA chipsets. All other video cards seem to be working fine with the boards with the VIA chipset so its quite a strange problem. Some mobo manufacturers have provided fixes via bios updates and the cards work fine whereas most are yet to provide an update. Another option... you could flash your 8800GT to make it compatible (it basically makes it a PCI-E 1.0 card) but you'd be better off buying a different card since it voids warranty and is a lot of hassle. Just hope and pray that bios update fixes the issue.

Ahh the wonders of new technology...

Yeah, I was looking at getting the 8800GT, but if I can't eventually get it to work (going to borrow a friends card to test it out) then again I'm fine with the 9600GT or HD3870 cards. Those don't have known issues with the VIA chipset right? Not sure which one I should lean into getting though.

GHG

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah, I was looking at getting the 8800GT, but if I can't eventually get it to work (going to borrow a friends card to test it out) then again I'm fine with the 9600GT or HD3870 cards. Those don't have known issues with the VIA chipset right? Not sure which one I should lean into getting though.

Yeh the 9600GT is fine ---> http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=265498&mpage=1&key=&#267951 There are other confirmations on different forums, particularly where people have got the 8800gt/s and then taken it back for a 9600GT and its been fine. ATI cards don't have any issues at all either.

Its wierd how its just one model of card that has the problems. Looks like they overlooked VIA chipsets in testing :lol .

Also in addition to the enclosure question, what do folks use to organize their cables zip ties, velcro, etc? I currently have a Cooler Master 690 Case and just broke off one of the cable organizers, as it was in the way of my 9800 GTX. I have a big mess of cables (thanks in no part to my PC And Cooling 750 watt power supply).

^^^Natch that. I'll just buy a pack of 4-inch cable ties from the store to do cable management.

I've begun putting together my first desktop.

9800 GTX
Xi-Fi Fatality
750 GB Western Digital HD
Cooler Master 690 Case
PC Power and Cooling 750 Watt power supply
Q6600 Intel Processor
2 GB Crucial DDR2
Liteon 20X DVD Writer (Sata)

Cheeto

Spiderjericho said:
^^^Natch that. I'll just buy a pack of 4-inch cable ties from the store to do cable management.

I've begun putting together my first desktop.

9800 GTX
Xi-Fi Fatality
750 GB Western Digital HD
Cooler Master 690 Case
PC Power and Cooling 750 Watt power supply
Q6600 Intel Processor
2 GB Crucial DDR2
Liteon 20X DVD Writer (Sata)
Did you already buy these components?

GHG

Ok guys, I've managed to nab a pretty good rig for cheap:

6000+ x2
2GB ram
8600GTS
160GB HDD
570 watt PSU

Total cost £250 including a 19 inch moniter and printer (yes Kosma you have some competition).

I'm chuffed. My only concern is that it has come preinstalled with vista 64 bit. Now I know I asked earlier whether its advisable to have vista 64 on 2GB ram, but should I just install vista 32? Will it be worth seeing how vista 64 goes or should I just deal with it before I get doing anything else?

aeolist

Banned
GHG said:

6000+ x2
2GB ram
8600GTS
160GB HDD
570 watt PSU

Total cost £250 including a 19 inch moniter and printer (yes Kosma you have some competition).

I'm chuffed. My only concern is that it has come preinstalled with vista 64 bit. Now I know I asked earlier whether its advisable to have vista 64 on 2GB ram, but should I just install vista 32? Will it be worth seeing how vista 64 goes or should I just deal with it before I get doing anything else?
Noooooo the 8600 cards are terrible. 9600GT is the lowest end you should aim for if you want any kind of decent performance.

SRG01

GHG said:

6000+ x2
2GB ram
8600GTS
160GB HDD
570 watt PSU

Why?

GHG

aeolist said:
Noooooo the 8600 cards are terrible. 9600GT is the lowest end you should aim for if you want any kind of decent performance.

Shush you :D ,

SRG01 said:

And you.

Take the price into consideration. Its pre-built as well. I'll be getting a new GPU soon, don't worry about that.

Now someone answer my question so I can get this show on the road.

SRG01

GHG said:
Shush you :D ,

And you.

Take the price into consideration. Its pre-built as well. I'll be getting a new GPU soon, don't worry about that.

Now someone answer my question so I can get this show on the road.

Oh, :lol, I didn't look at the price tag at first. That's a pretty good deal for 250 with printer and monitor!

edit: Where are you getting this system? There aren't any prebuilt ones that even come close over here in Canada.

Top Bottom