• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

NintendosBooger said:
Can you tell me why?

They are borderline scammers.

I bought a system of theirs couple of years back, and it was the worst purchasing decision I have ever made.

Basically I was stuck with a system that repeatedly failed. I got to send the system back for repairs. A month passes and after a few inquiries about the system status they stop responding. They stopped answering my calls or emails completely. 3 months later my system magically reappears... with the exact same problem. Nothing was repaired so I contact them again and they notified my warranty had expired and blah blah. The customer service is always the same guy, which just adds to shady factor.

I was so disgusted at this point I considered taking them to court. In the end I decided against it, since I got a few months out of the system and I hadn't paid that much, it just wasn't going to be worth the effort.

Again, don't do it. Whatever perceived value you see in their prices, it is just not worth it.

A few other GAF'ers have experienced similar problems.

If you don't want to build your own, get a cheap Dell with a decent cpu and just upgrade the vid card and memory yourself.

Peru

SRG01 said:
Not bad. 32-bit Vista or 64-bit?
Dell only ships with 32-bit so far, a shame if I want to make use of my gig's, which I'm sure is the reason you ask. So I'll look into switching -- but I've heard there are some problems with drivers and such for 64 bit? Not quite as widely available? Any experience?

zoku88

Peru said:
Dell only ships with 32-bit so far, a shame if I want to make use of my gig's, which I'm sure is the reason you ask. So I'll look into switching -- but I've heard there are some problems with drivers and such for 64 bit? Not quite as widely available? Any experience?
As far as switching goes, I think Microsoft has this $10 upgrade license available? I don't remember...

Crovax33

Peru said:
I am running Vista 64 and no driver problems so far. Way better experience than Vista 32, better memory management and faster load times, better framerate in Crysis.

BTW, I have the retail edition with the sweet box and both 32 and 64 bit versions (2DVD's) thats how I was able to compare.

Crovax33

NintendosBooger said:
Can you tell me why?
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. They always use the most piece os shit parts in the market. Its as if they bought everything refurbished. Their parts always fail. And the tech support sucks ass. The price is too good to be true. Build your own rig.

Shrug, friend got a cyberpowerpc a couple months ago and it works great. He hasn't had a single problem with it besides the HDD being Hitachi the rest of the parts are normal computer brands.

Cheeto

DarkAngelYuna said:
Shrug, friend got a cyberpowerpc a couple months ago and it works great. He hasn't had a single problem with it besides the HDD being Hitachi the rest of the parts are normal computer brands.
?

Hitachi is a "normal computer brand"

winnarps

Basically curious about the following Dell deal I can get:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2DIMMs
500GB2 Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
22" Widescreen flat panel monitor (that can't be removed from the online deal, sadly)
Shitty GPU
1 year of their full service

All for $670

Now, I'd just have to by an 8800GT and swap it in and I'd be set, bringing the total to ~$800-820 all told.

Good deal? Or should I just build my own computer?

aeolist

Banned
I have to recommend against Dells for cheap desktops. I repair computers for a living and since my store started selling Dells I have seen more of their computers defective out of the box than any other brand.

I'd say go with HP for a cheap pre-built. They're not the best but they're better than Dell.

SRG01

aeolist said:
I have to recommend against Dells for cheap desktops. I repair computers for a living and since my store started selling Dells I have seen more of their computers defective out of the box than any other brand.

I'd say go with HP for a cheap pre-built. They're not the best but they're better than Dell.

I'd have to say recent Dells are much better than recent HPs. I don't know what happened with HP but their quality went down for the past few years.

Treo360

Is there that big a difference in a dual 2.8 quad core xeon vs a 3.0 quad core xeon? The difference is $720. I mean is it going to render my animations in Maya that much quicker?

Crovax33

Treo360 said:
Is there that big a difference in a dual 2.8 quad core xeon vs a 3.0 quad core xeon? The difference is $720. I mean is it going to render my animations in Maya that much quicker?
Dude, srsly, you have experience with Maya, you should know. I was able to render my class project in 1:20 with my new rig compared to a whole day with my old rig. I would say that with 200MHz more per core you are looking at a 15-20 minutes difference with complex animations.

Treo360

Crovax33 said:
Dude, srsly, you have experience with Maya, you should know. I was able to render my class project in 1:20 with my new rig compared to a whole day with my old rig. I would say that with 200MHz more per core you are looking at a 15-20 minutes difference with complex animations.

The problem is that I don't know :p

I've been using Maya previously to Render static scenes in the past using my Dual 1.8 G5, having been "accepted" to animation mentor I figured it was time that I upgrade to something newer, and at the same time when I have free time would give me some respectable muscle to install windows and play some games not on the Mac platform.

If the difference is going to be around a 1/2 hour or so then it's not that big of a difference, unless I'm missing something else here.

aznpxdd

Spy said:
Would any computer experts here tell me what they think of the PC I'm building?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...l.asp?WishListNumber=5044889&WishListTitle=PC

No motherboard yet because I'm waiting for the Intel P45 to come out. Overclocking the E8500 to 4.2GHZ and the RAM to ???. I'll be running games at 1680x1050 resolution. Do you think I'll be able to run everything except for Crysis at max settings?

Link doesn't work. As for overclocking, unless you get a TRUE, I doubt you can get to 4.2ghz on air.

Epix

Spy said:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...l.asp?WishListNumber=5044889&WishListTitle=PC

No motherboard yet because I'm waiting for the Intel P45 to come out. Overclocking the E8500 to 4.2GHZ and the RAM to ???. I'll be running games at 1680x1050 resolution. Do you think I'll be able to run everything except for Crysis at max settings?
Honestly, it's overkill for 1680x1050. I built a PC last week for $500 cheaper that runs everything I've thrown at it (haven't tried Crysis) at max settings in 1920x1200.

You can save $75 by getting the E8400.
You can save $150 by getting a 8800 GTS 512 and OC to 9800 performance.
You can save $30 by getting the G.SKill DDR2 memory.

MeowMeow

Banned
Puma is going to be pretty expensive though. I talked to an AMD employee during a job fair at my university, and he was telling me that.

:/
i dont want to buy a computer now, and then all of a sudden something new and better comes out right away...i want to wait to get that something new and better,...so that it will hold me a year or 2 down the road until something newer and even better comes out.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Anyone using a 1080P LCD TV for a monitor?

If so, how do you like it.

I juts bought a New Sammy LN32A650; I've read good things about it.

Spy

Epix said:
Then what are you asking our opinions for?

I'll be running games at 1680x1050 resolution. Do you think I'll be able to run everything except for Crysis at max settings?

Epix

Spy said:
I'll be running games at 1680x1050 resolution. Do you think I'll be able to run everything except for Crysis at max settings?

East Lake

I'd like to connect without wires and the mobo I'm getting has wifi built in, would that be enough or is there a more reliable method that I should connect with?

Also, anyone have any recommendations or good sites to go to for computer desks?

Cheeto

Spy said:
Yes. But we here at GAF don't like spies sappin our wallets. So we go for bang for buck. If you want to spend over $100 extra for just a smidgen of extra performance go ahead...but we'll let you know theres another way.

Stryder

Hey guys, I'm torn.. should I go with 2x2gb of ram or 2x1gb?

I'm going to be rocking:
E8400
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
8800GT
Vista 32-bit Home Premium

What do you guys reckon? Will I see a performance bump with 4gb over 2gb?
Even if it's worth loading games and apps and multitasking.

Stryder said:
Hey guys, I'm torn.. should I go with 2x2gb of ram or 2x1gb?

I'm going to be rocking:
E8400
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
8800GT
Vista 32-bit Home Premium

What do you guys reckon? Will I see a performance bump with 4gb over 2gb?
Even if it's worth loading games and apps and multitasking.

If you're going Vista then go 4 gig and 64 bit, otherwise I'd say XP and 2 gig is another option.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What is the best app for getting your CPU temp, and should I be going by CPU temp or the Core1 (etc) temps?

Halvie

Banned
Any clue what the msrp is going to be on the new cards? Don't feel like spending $600 on a card so if there isn't anything "midrange" I might as well get a 8800gts now.

winnarps

If I have a copy of Windows XP Pro 64-bit and I get a quad core, should I use that over, say, a 32-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium for now?

Edit: made a mistake; I'm an idiot.

Top Bottom