• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
woohoo

Canada is in a Tae Kwon Do gold medal match later today, that brings the medal total to 17.......right where the COC predicted we'd be at......and we may even surpass that :D

pollo said:
Too bad Avon Barksdale can't run track as well as he runs the BMore streets

Sorry I had to quote this! I'm glad I'm not the only one who that Avon Marksdale was running the 3rd leg of the 4x100. He should have pretended that baton was a G-pack.

Kifimbo

BigJonsson said:
woohoo

Canada is in a Tae Kwon Do gold medal match later today, that brings the medal total to 17.......right where the COC predicted we'd be at......and we may even surpass that :D

Too bad TKD sucks.

chickensoup said:
Another canoeing gold, and a guaranteed silver at least in the boxing. Still comfortably third in the medals table, despite the best efforts of the cheating American scum. The British are coming!
18 - 12 - 11 (41)
The only thing that matters is beating the Australians.

Branduil

Screw the IOC.

I think we should just go ahead and cheat to a ridiculous degree next Olympics. Field a team of six 12-year-old gymnasts and force the IOC to address their ridiculous and blatant favoritism and corruption.

Wes

venison crêpe
Wow at the 4x400 semi with Great Britain. She was going so slow on the last leg I thought we'd get knocked out!

Ceres

Banned
Shadow780 said:
Athletes likes bronze more than silver apparently.

2hrk5cg.jpg

Like I said before. In 1v1 sports, you win bronze and loose silver. Nothing would suck more than loosing that last match and getting stuck with silver.

Branduil said:
Screw the IOC.

I think we should just go ahead and cheat to a ridiculous degree next Olympics. Field a team of six 12-year-old gymnasts and force the IOC to address their ridiculous and blatant favoritism and corruption.

The thing is that the IOC & the Olympics are supposed to be free of political issues. However they have to deal with them all the same.
It's not the same as an individual willingly doping and the country they represent having nothing to do with it. In this case, the Chinese government is creating "forged" passports to change ages and attempting to remove anything that would give light on the true age. In the US, we have all sorts of records of when people are born and tons of information online for various competitions that would be hard to suppress so these cheating methods only work when you can easily threaten people.
These kids are basically taken at 3 years old and raised to be nothing more than gymnasts with the promise of the family getting lots of money if they succeed. The family won't come forth and say their kid is 2 or more years under the limit. The kids won't confess. In many cases, they have no other option but to go along with the cheating. If the IOC were to come in going on and on about how this is a plot of the Chinese government, it would become more than just an Olympics problem and the IOC isn't the only one afraid of stepping on their toes.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
chickensoup said:
No joy in the TKD bronze final. I think our medal mojo is finally running out :-(

Cook said:
I have never seen scoring like it in my life. In any other match I would have won by about five points but the judges were not putting anything up. I knew the crowd would be behind him but I didn't think the scoring would be that bad. To be so close to a medal is absolutely gutting. But I've got to go back and do more training and in four years' time I will be on that first place podium.

Looked like shoddy scoring to me too, but then I know nothing about the rules of TKD. :D

mclem

Branduil said:
That's asking for trouble. The age of consent in the UK is 16...

pete914

Anybody watching the Serbia-USA water polo gold medal semifinal? I'm stuck watching NBC update the score every quarter because the streaming video is blocked at work.

Edit: US wins, 10-5, wll play Hungary for gold. I know most people don't care, but this is damn near Miracle on Ice level of amazing. US was ranked #9 in the world going into the Olympics.

iapetus said:
Looked like shoddy scoring to me too, but then I know nothing about the rules of TKD. :D
After watching the earlier matches, I gave up trying to predict what they were giving points for. More hits appeared to be connecting than the judges gave them credit for. It's a shame we can't see the results of the voting - how many points did we lose because the third judge was slightly too late pushing their button? And why did he get the two penalties?

But to be fair, he didn't look as composed as in the earlier fights. I think losing in the semis broke him mentally. I'm sure he'll be able to come back stronger in 4 years and try again.

linsivvi

chickensoup said:
After watching the earlier matches, I gave up trying to predict what they were giving points for. More hits appeared to be connecting than the judges gave them credit for. It's a shame we can't see the results of the voting - how many points did we lose because the third judge was slightly too late pushing their button? And why did he get the two penalties?

But to be fair, he didn't look as composed as in the earlier fights. I think losing in the semis broke him mentally. I'm sure he'll be able to come back stronger in 4 years and try again.

I don't know much about TKD so maybe you can enlighten me. Isn't the armours they wear supposed to assist with scoring? Why are hits still not registered then?

danwarb

chickensoup said:

I think he was less composed because he wasn't scoring.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
chickensoup said:
After watching the earlier matches, I gave up trying to predict what they were giving points for.

I found a list online:

This is the scoring for Tae Kwon-Do in the Olympics:
Punch To Body while being Chinese: 1 Point
Flying Punch To Body while being Chinese: 2 Points
Kick To Body while being Chinese: 2 Points
Kick To Head while being Chinese: 2 Points
Flying Kick To Body while being Chinese: 2 Points
Flying Kick To Head while being Chinese: 3 Points

Ceres

Banned
linsivvi said:
I don't know much about TKD so maybe you can enlighten me. Isn't the armours they wear supposed to assist with scoring? Why are hits still not registered then?

It's not like in fencing where there's actual electronics that register hits. In this case it's just because the armor gives off a louder noise when an opponent is struck.

linsivvi said:
They use a system like Boxing where three out of the four judges have to push a button within a second of each other for the points to count. It's not like fencing where the armour registers the score automatically. So if a couple of the judges don't have a good angle, or they're a fraction too late pushing the button, it won't count.

Edit: lol @ iapetus :lol :lol

linsivvi

Ceres said:
It's not like in fencing where there's actual electronics that register hits. In this case it's just because the armor gives off a louder noise when an opponent is struck.

chickensoup said:
They use a system like Boxing where three out of the four judges have to push a button within a second of each other for the points to count. It's not like fencing where the armour registers the score automatically. So if a couple of the judges don't have a good angle, or they're a fraction too late pushing the button, it won't count.

That's...just as retarded as boxing. That's why I don't think they should add karate in 2016 since it'll be just as retarded.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
chickensoup said:

It's not enough in TKD just to connect hits. It has to be a firm strike that makes a solid noise on the dobok (the chest protector) and of sufficient force to move the body of the opponent and/or change his momentum. That being said, scoring in TKD is definitely subjective and the judges do miss stuff. It's the nature of the sport, you learn to live with it. I've lost matches because I thought I made solid kicks and didn't get points for it.

The commentator was waxing poetic at the end:
# Until next time this is the incomparable Sherman Nelson signing off. Ba-cha
# In fact its their humanity that makes them heroes.
# Sometimes we need to remember that our heroes are still human
# We also learn that despite the achievements, accolades, and accomplishments, these are still flesh and blood athletes
# Two legends in the sport of Taekwondo triumphed today, inspiring us to be all that we can be

Nolan.

It's so annoying, it's just like I said, it really did go to the teams that were able to pass over properly. Bolt looked pissed off when he was watching it back. The jamaicans all had pb's over the the team that holds the Wr too ugh relay is just so nerve racking to watch.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so now that it's practically over, i find out that i've got the olympic basketball channel. smh. at least i'll get to watch usa/argentina live on the west coast

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
pete914 said:
Anybody watching the Serbia-USA water polo gold medal semifinal? I'm stuck watching NBC update the score every quarter because the streaming video is blocked at work.

Edit: US wins, 10-5, wll play Hungary for gold. I know most people don't care, but this is damn near Miracle on Ice level of amazing. US was ranked #9 in the world going into the Olympics.

I didn't watch this game, but I did see the awesome match against Germany that came down to the last seconds. The American team is looking really strong.

Nolan.

Pachael said:
GBR also missed the baton exchange.

I didn't even realise that they missed it until the end. I mistook the russians for them thinking ''wow they got an easy medal''. Though they messed up even when they got the biggest chance, Usa out, Jamaica out and they make the same mistake. If the Jamaican men flop at the final too this would just be the biggest laugh. I still don't believe how they make high school mistakes like that, going out early, dropping etc.

Colin Jackson and Michael Johnson were doing their normal "handing over the baton is hard" routine again. And sure, you usually get one or two failures, but I don't remember so many teams messing it up this badly before? Maybe the traditional Atheltes Village orgy started early this year, putting everyone off :D

Pachael

The Jamacians certainly choked on that baton exchange - and Great Britain wasn't much better. There was a replay where both were going 'get the baton get the baton oh no oh no shit we missed the swap' and while the Jamacian stumbled out of the lane and British girl turned back and practically stormed at her teammate.

Relays are hard, and it's difficult to laugh too much at others' expense lest it happen to yourself. :|

The Australians didn't even send a team, that's worse than pathetic. With all the dropouts they'd be a chance ;p

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
table tennis ceramony was awesome

China swept which meant everyone got to sing the national anthem :D

seanoff

chickensoup said:
I thought you had a reasonably strong set of sprinters to pick from?

our sprinters couldn't run out of sight down a mineshaft at night in a heavy fog. Glacial would be harsh on glaciars.

Pachael

chickensoup said:
I thought you had a reasonably strong set of sprinters to pick from?

Kind of, but our chairman of selectors didn't think much of our personnel in beating the qualifying time and worthy of going (despite being eligible), which is terrible since it's a vote of no confidence in the current form of sprinters as well as the young ones, who'd have the time of their life at the Olympics and much needed experience.

Athletics Australia has absolutely no clue, but that's another matter for another day. I'm on the side cheering for Steve Hooker in the pole vault.

Ceres

Banned
linsivvi said:
That's...just as retarded as boxing. That's why I don't think they should add karate in 2016 since it'll be just as retarded.

Oh I agree. I never even have UniHD on because it's like the 24/7 boxing channel with a little wrestling tossed in. I'm already not a fan of regular professional boxing but amateur hour is really horrible to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom