• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

That was an amazing b-ball game. I didn't expect Spain to go away so it was just amazing to see our USA team answer every single time they needed to. :D

Hunter D

lherre said:
This was incredible

mkynva.jpg
Kobe is lucky this kid fouled out and is legacy for the 2008 olympics as a defensive stopper was saved. I can't believe I'm going to say this; Rudy was too quick for Kobe.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Karakand said:
Goodbye Olympics. :(

Thoughts:

-USOC needs to get its shit together. WE'RE #1 (except for the next 4 years).
-Chicoms did a pretty good job suppressing free speech. No hijinks to laugh at really. :(
-NBC can eat my nuts. I hope they never get the Olympics again.
-Thank science for the internet! I was not NBC's captive because of it.
-NBC had really good online streaming. I hope whoever gets it next copies that.
-How about that USA Basketball not winning gold, xabre? LAWLIN'
-IOC is a joke. Always were, always will be.
-We had some good banter in here. Not as good as the Euro 2008 thread, but hey no one's perfect.
-Brazil's football team can eat my nuts for taking Jo and playing him what, one whole match? MAN CITY NEED STRIKERS. :mad:
-When does India get one of these fancy Olympic things?
-See you all in 4 years.

Good summary. I miss the games already :'(

Karakand

Y2Kev said:
I miss the games already :'(
Me too. :(

I am a sucker for athletic spectacles and nothing really even compares to the Olympics except for maybe the first 2 rounds of March Madness.

CAPTAIN AMERICA SIGNING OFF

Untitled-Scanned-11.jpg

avaya

I feel a great emptiness now that the games are over. This was the best Olympics I have ever watched. Amazing performances across many sports. The best opening and closing ceremonies ever conceived. Ceremonies worth watching. Zhang Yimou is unrivalled. Greatest show on Earth. I can not see those being topped till the Chinese get the games again.

The London segment was exceptionally shitty. The Chinese then proceeded to own the fuck out of us right afterwards with their performance.

Johnson is a twat. It was embarrassing. Having said that his speech at the London House Visa Handover Party in Beijing, if any of you caught it live was very very funny. This needs to be Youtubed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7580165.stm

"Ping Pong is coming home!"

Aw all done, now I'll have to find some other stuff to watch heh.

Good stuff all round, enjoyed a lot of it.

:lol That Cuban guy attacking the ref. :lol

Crazy shit, that was really terrible.

One of NZ's best efforts in a long time so we're mostly pleased also which is always nice, now add rugby to the next one please London. :p

lherre

Accurate
Blackace said:
I have seen a lot of FIBA games. They call traveling but they aren't as hardcore as people are claiming.. and the flopage is even worse than the NBA so it all evens out

Well when all the international press, all the teams (argentina, spain, greece, australia, china, etc) complain about this rule in the american matches, I think is not normal, or all the planet is wrong? Think about it. Not only the spanish players, is all the teams that play against USA in the olympic tournament. You can see that always the players say the referees that call the travellings.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lherre said:
Well when all the international press, all the teams (argentina, spain, greece, australia, china, etc) complain about this rule in the american matches, I think is not normal, or all the planet is wrong? Think about it. Not only the spanish players, is all the teams that play against USA in the olympic tournament. You can see that always the players say the referees that call the travellings.

we complain about flopping.. Rudy traveled on his dunk on Howard by the rules. Pau camped in the key quite a few times. All players take what they are given.

I have really only seen Spain crying about the traveling after this game.. when they got blown out of the water there wasn't much to say. But when they played a great game and lost...then all of a sudden the US travels too much and refs this and that..

These are FIBA refs.. not NBA ones.

Batongen

Banned
As a neutral spectator it was a great olympics, with the likes of Bolt and Phelps, but as a Swede it was the worst olympics since 1904, and we didn't even participate in that one :lol
I'm actually crying quietly by myself =(

Karakand

FIBA basketball is shit. Shit rim interference. Shit goal tending. Shit three point arc. Shit key. Shit refs that never call key violations. I could go on all day!

NBA style is by no means perfect (it's also rigged), but it's not distilled shit like FIBA.

We still own you globe no matter the rules though. HOW 'BOUT DEM APPLES.

Karakand said:
FIBA basketball is shit. Shit rim interference. Shit goal tending. Shit three point arc. Shit key. Shit refs that never call key violations. I could go on all day!

NBA style is by no means perfect (it's also rigged), but it's not distilled shit like FIBA.

Really? I thought this game OWNED the NBA. Way way way better. It's pure basketball. It was fun watching these NBA guys play real basketball for once.

lherre

Accurate
Blackace said:
we complain about flopping.. Rudy traveled on his dunk on Howard by the rules. Pau camped in the key quite a few times. All players take what they are given.

I have really only seen Spain crying about the traveling after this game.. when they got blown out of the water there wasn't much to say. But when they played a great game and lost...then all of a sudden the US travels too much and refs this and that..

These are FIBA refs.. not NBA ones.

Rudy travelling, where?? Two steps before dunk, not travelling, two steps before put the ball in the floor (lebron james) travelling ... I think is easy. Remember the rule is different if you shoot or not. Pau camped? Maybe, Howard too.

mkynva.jpg

7b09cd5564654633c87419a4a7a26698.gif

If you don't read the international press isn't my problem, but they claim allt he championship not only in the final or after the final. And the players in all the matches is easy to see too.

Karakand

vas_a_morir said:
Really? I thought this game OWNED the NBA. Way way way better. It's pure basketball. It was fun watching these NBA guys play real basketball for once.
We're watching all-star teams (haha OK not all of them are) go at it.

It will be entertaining no matter the ruleset.

Big-E

Best Olympics I have ever seen. China did such a great job and the athletic performances were so awesome that London and Vancouver will look like jokes to everyone.

Darkman M

Karakand said:

Those statements are pretty much fact the refereeing is way too inconsistent, probably the worst refing ive seen in any sport. The basket interference is really shit imo. The only thing i really liked is they let play more physical for the most part.

Blackace

lherre said:
Rudy travelling, where?? Two steps before dunk, not travelling, two steps before put the ball in the floor (lebron james) travelling ... I think is easy.

mkynva.jpg

If you don't read the international press isn't my problem, but they claim allt he championship not only in the final or after the final. And the players in all the matches is easy to see too.

watch the whole play, when he took a step to get around Kobe.

I live in Japan, I get nothing but international press my friend, so play again

Blackace said:

What country is that dude to whom you are responding from? His English is a little rough, although not bad though. I'm just curious.

Blackace

vas_a_morir said:
What country is that dude to whom you are responding from? His English is a little rough, although not bad though. I'm just curious.

I would guess Spain

lherre

Accurate
Blackace said:

I'm trying to download the match, but I haven't found it yet. Do you know a site where I can download it? Then I can see this, I don't have the whole play.

If you read international press, you can see french, italians, germans, greek, argentinian, british press and see that mentions this things.

But I repeat, I'm not saying that USA won because this, is very different, maybe if the referees call all this, USA won 20 points or more or not, we never know. But I think this simply not fair for the other teams.

vcscgy.gif

Carmelo the handshake !!! :lol :lol

cilonen

That was an awesome two weeks.

See you all in four years, world, where hopefully we'll have more than David Beckham kicking a football into the crowd to entertain you all.

Blackace

lherre said:
I'm trying to download the match, but I haven't found it yet. Do you know a site where I can download it? Then I can see this, I don't have the whole play.

If you read international press, you can see french, italians, germans, greek, argentinian, british press and see that mentions this things.

But I repeat, I'm not saying that USA won because this, is very different, maybe if the referees call all this, USA won 20 points or more or not, we never know. But I think this simply not fair for the other teams.

Yeah the American press bitched too when we were losing

Karakand

TurtleSnatcher said:
Wow Vancouver Winter Olympics looks like it will be epic. The city looks pretty stunning. I want to visit :(
You should sometime! It's like Seattle but with a British island, no flannel and less morose people.

Blackace

lherre said:
Well french, italians or british, haven't lost with anyone :D

well I haven't seen anything about it in the British coverage I have seen and read..

Dali

lherre said:
Well french, italians or british, haven't lost with anyone :D
Why do you think they weren't playing in the Olympics to being with? They lost.

And holy shit dude are you still dwelling on this?

pollo

Banned
I didn't see the game but this is my friend's take on the traveling:

xxx (2:53:50 PM): the travels were terrible partially because people don't know how to wipe a court down
xxx (2:54:03 PM): most of the travels were because players were slipping

really?

Dali

pollo said:
I didn't see the game but this is my friend's take on the traveling:

xxx (2:53:50 PM): the travels were terrible partially because people don't know how to wipe a court down
xxx (2:54:03 PM): most of the travels were because players were slipping

really?
Yeah they didn't know how to wipe the court down and people were slipping because of it. This happened all through the tournament. That's not what the Spaniards are crying about though.

lherre

Accurate
Dali said:
Yeah they didn't know how to wipe the court down and people were slipping because of it. This happened all through the tournament. That's not what the Spaniards are crying about though.

Could you say "complain" instead "crying" please? Is more accurate. Is derogatory.

I think we can speak without problems like with Blackace or you (and others of course).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
redeem team indeed. i think it's great for olympic basketball that the us took things more seriously this time. the pendulum has swung back yet again, it will be great to see how the rest of the world responds next olympics.

AstroLad said:
redeem team indeed. i think it's great for olympic basketball that the us took things more seriously this time. the pendulum has swung back yet again, it will be great to see how the rest of the world responds next olympics.
Yes, we already know Kobe's response:

1219567193.jpg

Dali

lherre said:
Coul you say "complain" instead "crying" please? Is more accurate. Is derogatory.

I think we can speak without problems like with Blackace or you (and others of course).
Dude your posts reek of some sort of implied superiority of the FIBA because 'all of Europe plays under it' and you also seem to have a condescending tone when describing how well versed you are in international news (about traveling).

It's meant to be derogatory. You keep saying 'good job USA, 'USA won fair and square', but hinting 'who knows what might have happened if the refs didn't win the game for you'. It comes across as bitter rumblings from a sore loser.

Piecake

Dali said:

During the game the commentators said that the the surface of the paint was not hardwood, but another surface, and that was probably the reason why so many people were slipping.

Dali said:
Dude your posts reek of some sort of implied superiority of the FIBA because 'all of Europe plays under it' and you also seem to have a condescending tone when describing how well versed you are in international news (about traveling).

It's meant to be derogatory. You keep saying 'good job USA, 'USA won fair and square', but hinting 'who knows what might have happened if the refs didn't win the game for you'. It comes across as bitter rumblings from a sore loser.

I really don't get that from him, Starchasing on the other hand, his posts are dripping with condescension

lherre

Accurate
Dali said:
Dude you're posts reek of some sort of implied superiority of the FIBA because 'all of Europe plays under it' and you also seem to have a condescending tone when describing how well versed you are in international news (about traveling).

Nope, USA has the best players and the best league, this is clear. I only think that USA don't need help in any championship, they can win fair without problems. And remember this championship has FIBA rules not NBA rules, this is the point. In all the olympics games, world championships, panamerican games (I don't know if this is correct) the american teams has the same problem with only one rule, travelling, the rest of important rules are the same in Europe and USA. I think is normal, they play all the year with his own rule and only 2 or 4 years during 2-3 weeks with a different rule, more restrictive than the one he uses. For me is normal that can violate the rule a lot of times (I would make it too, I'm sure).

Dali

Gonaria said:
During the game the commentators said that the the surface of the paint was not hardwood, but another surface, and that was probably the reason why so many people were slipping.
Yeah I remember them saying that when Wade went down in the paint, but going back to the first game people would slip on the hardwood portions and the likely reason was they weren't wiping when people hit the deck. They got better as the tournament progressed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom