• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

The rest of the world will respond to Redemption.

With silence.

The gap hasn't shrunk, we were just playing possum for ages. We handicapped ourselves with minimal size and the two headed monster of Pringles + Coach K and we still blew everyone the fuck out. The. Fuck. Out.

Imagine us fielding a more NBAish roster and putting them under the charge of a real coach. Even the Washington Generals would be laughing at the rest of the world.

There's a reason why foreign leagues grossly overpay for role players and has-beens from the NBA.

besada

Banned
Glad our fellas beat those racist Spaniards. It's going to be weird not to have any Olympics to watch in the middle of the night.

Dali

lherre said:
Nope, USA has the best players and the best league, this is clear. I only think that USA don't need help in any championship, they can win fair without problems. And remember this championship has FIBA rules not NBA rules, this is the point.
:lol I know this is the point. This has been the point since 4AM EST this morning.

Maybe they should have called the travels, but as has already been said it's discretionary! Ten years ago the way some people dribble now would have been called as carrying. The rule hasn't been changed yet now carrying the ball is the norm. A ref could sit and call carrying all day on some people, yet they don't. The refs are part of the game. It's up to the refs to decide when to call a foul or any other infraction.

lherre

Accurate
Dali said:
:lol I know this is the point. This has been the point since 4AM EST this morning.

Maybe they should have called the travels, but as has already been said it's discretionary! Ten years ago the way some people dribble now would have been called as carrying. The rule hasn't been changed yet now carrying the ball is the norm. The refs are part of the game. It's up to the refs to decide when to call a foul or any other infraction.

This can be normal in USA ... if you see Euroleague you don't see this never.

Well, go to see spanish soccer super cup. Real Madrid-Valencia :D (I hope Real Madrid wins)

See you !!! A pleasure to talk with you and blackace.

aznpxdd

96fe08e62086efaa26c39d75b0c05a35-ge.jpg

Piecake

Dali said:

Maybe they should have called the travels, but as has already been said it's discretionary! Ten years ago the way some people dribble now would have been called as carrying. The rule hasn't been changed yet now carrying the ball is the norm. The refs are part of the game. It's up to the refs to decide when to call a foul or any other infraction.

God, if refs called carrying like the rule said, they would be blowing that whistle every 5 seconds. They did call a carry on CP3, but that was needed since he clearly carried the ball in order to split those two defenders and get to the basket.

Wes

venison crêpe
So apparently during the promotional video for London at the closing ceremony there was a shot of Myra Hindley in there somewhere.

For those of you who don't know Myra Hindley, she was a renowned serial killer in the 60s killing four children with her lover in what was known as the Moors Murders.

Anyway a lot of people are pissed off: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7580261.stm

Piecake

Wes said:
So apparently during the promotional video for London at the closing ceremony there was a shot of Myra Hindley in there somewhere.

For those of you who don't know Myra Hindley, she was a renowned serial killer in the 60s killing four children with her lover in what was known as the Moors Murders.

Anyway a lot of people are pissed off: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7580261.stm

That is pretty fucked up. I mean, who the hell thought that that would be a good idea?

Man, I'm not sure how there can be complaints about USA bias from the refereeing. To be honest, Spain did a great job changing the way the game was officiated... but people want to complain about some travelling non-calls (that benefitted both teams?)

Just bizarre.

To review, Spain made the game so physical early on that it eventually became a game of chicken with the refs -- will you foul out everybody, or let more contact go? They chose the latter, which suited the bigger team (Spain, since this US team plays 1 big man and relies on quickness with Coach K's slightly flawed pressure defense). That then opened up a lot as far as physical screens go, no calls on US drives to the hoop, pushing and shoving for loose balls, etc.

The way the game was called was, objectively, enormously beneficial to Spain. That's not to say it was biased, but they needed the game to be called loose to allow physical play to give them a chance. It was.

As for the game:
Spain also played some amazing basketball as well, especially the guards (though some of this is due to a lack of US adjustments... go underneath the screen. Geez). Spain's size also negated the US's weak side defense, which was huge. Not to mention the rebounding advantage.

In review:
Spain plays great + good matchup against a smaller team + physical game with lots of contact = great game.

Also Wade = MVP

Bonus post:
Hunter D said:
Kobe is lucky this kid fouled out and is legacy for the 2008 olympics as a defensive stopper was saved. I can't believe I'm going to say this; Rudy was too quick for Kobe.
Careful, Coach K's pressure defense can make the best defenders look bad. It's designed to be very, very agressive, and if you can avoid turnovers and dribble penetrate you can slice it apart.

(this is usually how Duke loses in March each year. :lol )

Nolan.

Wes said:

London: ''We welcome you...to be murdered''

Seriously I don't even remember seeing it, still though i'm dreading London hosting in 2012.

Blackace said:
I have seen a lot of FIBA games. They call traveling but they aren't as hardcore as people are claiming.. and the flopage is even worse than the NBA so it all evens out
Exactly. FIBA refs call games tighter in some respects, but in other aspects they're actually looser than their NBA brethren. It all comes back to my point that the rules are interpreted not written in stone.
You can stop your bullshit now.
Ok.
In FIBA basketball travelling is always called, no matter what...
:lol :lol

More easy, you're saying that in this case the cleveland player doesn't have advantage of travelling? Please only say yes or not.
It's kind of unclear. He appears to have an uncontested breakaway. There are players nearby, but they don't attempt to stop him. However, the traveling really is blatant and it occurs twice in a short time span. I think it should have been called. However, my opinion is irrelevant, and I can understand why a ref wouldn't make that call (combination of the traveler being Lebron and the situation not giving him an advantage).

What makes this discussion even dumber is that refs who call by advantage/disadvantage should make a traveling call when the defender is placed at a disadvantage. So all of your complaints about the US players apparently traveling on offense are valid by this interpretation of the rules. You don't seem to get that. Must be the language barrier or something.
God, if refs called carrying like the rule said, they would be blowing that whistle every 5 seconds. They did call a carry on CP3, but that was needed since he clearly carried the ball in order to split those two defenders and get to the basket.
Exactly. Do you call the ball on a carry in the backcourt with no defenders in sight? Fuck no. Do you make the call when the attacker has a distinct advantage of the defenders on the offensive end? Of course.

This is just basic basketball officiating, and it goes on worldwide. To say FIBA refs call every play by the book is just wrong.

wow that's a lot of text

shas'la

Still talking about basketball, gawd!!!

I wish some decent footballers would show up in force and we could see some quality matches that are representative of what each nation is capable of, but i suppose with all the leagues starting in august its pretty hard to convince coaches to let the big names go for a few weeks.

woodchuck

shas'la said:
Still talking about basketball, gawd!!!

I wish some decent footballers would show up in force and we could see some quality matches that are representative of what each nation is capable of, but i suppose with all the leagues starting in august its pretty hard to convince coaches to let the big names go for a few weeks.

thats what the world cup is for...

Pachael

Well, all this basketball talk has me amused as we didn't accuse the US women of the same travelling 'problem' - the Opals were shit on the day. Shooting, at least.

But then someone will go 'oh no one cares about women's basketball, FIBA or not', and I'll be like ':('

Highlights of my Olympics:
- Watching whiners cry and hurl abuse
- Watching winners, oh yes, we didn't come here to watch silver or bronze fellas
- GOLD
- Phelps x 8
- Bolt x 3
- Powell getting his gold. Federer getting his gold.
- The handball (both finals) were epic
- Unexpected Australia gold is always a highlight

Lowlights of Olympics
- Drat, the Age AND the Herald Sun couldn't 'change to the medal count' to avoid being beaten by the team that blitzed everyone in the cycling - Great Britain. Here's to hoping we'll do as well in 2012 as we did in Manchester!

More games?! Asian Games 2010 in China, Commonwealth Games in 2010 in India - their coming out party, and the World Cup in 2010 in South Africa.. I expect to see lots of gnashing of teeth and gloating just like in the WC06 thread ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom