• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDG

Banned
YES! GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! 2-1 US!

That was very nice. Nice finish by Altidore. He was a very good sub for Rogers, who's struggled today.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Kicked 'em right in the face.

IN HIS FACE

TDG

Banned
Damn, Adu gets a yellow, so he can't play against Nigeria. Doesn't matter as long as we hold onto the win here.

Very impressive to see the USA still attacking and trying to control possesion, not just bunkering down and allowing the Dutch to attack ruthlessly for the rest of the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
China is going to be a beast long into the foreseeable future I think. Wait until they start swimming. :\

TDG

Banned
Wow, the USA almost got some insurance there. Holden had Kljestan on the left, I don't know why he tried to take it himself.

Nolan.

Karakand said:
It's never to late to join us my friend. E PLURIBUS UNUM.

And now they're winning football soccer too I thought that was one of their weakest sports...

Netherlands equalized!.

ToxicAdam

I'm not a soccer fan, but this US/Netherlands match is a lot of fun to watch.

First time seeing Freddie Adu in about 3 years. He looks talented, but still very out of control (even aside from his yellow card). You compare his playstyle to someone controlled and measured like Altidore and it's night and day.

TDG

Banned
FUCK

That really hurts, especially considering we had a chance to put this away. Hey, there's still time left, maybe we can draw a few more yellow cards/suspensions. Christ.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
ToxicAdam said:
I'm not a soccer fan, but this US/Netherlands match is a lot of fun to watch.

First time seeing Freddie Adu in about 3 years. He looks talented, but still very out of control (even aside from his yellow card). You compare his playstyle to someone controlled and measured like Altidore and it's night and day.
Was?

Shit just got real, son!

Edit: Damn your stealth edit, making me appear the fool!

Pimpwerx

Holden lost it for them. Greedy on an easy break for the clincher, and then a penalty right outside the box. Really sloppy close to that match too. With that many people playing close to the net, you don't need to foul. The coaching must not work on these scenarios very much. PEACE.

TDG

Banned
If Holden doesn't get greedy, and just passes it to Kljestan for the goal to put us up 3-1, the US wins. That sucks.

So now in Group B, we have Nigeria and the USA with 4 points, the Dutch with 2, and Japan with 0. As long as we can beat Nigeria, we'll win the group.

Karakand

the disgruntled gamer said:
If Holden doesn't get greedy, and just passes it to Kljestan for the goal to put us up 3-1, the US wins. That sucks.
2jga1zp.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Well I thought the Dutch would win this three nil, so I'm glad I was wrong, but the uS just gave the game away in the end. Stupid fouls, got too cocky, GGnore.

woodchuck

nigeria also has a +1 GD along with the US.

so if the US ties with Nigeria, and the Dutch win by 1 goal against japan. what happens?

TDG

Banned
woodchuck said:

so if the US ties with Nigeria, and the Dutch win by 1 goal against japan. what happens?
The classification for each tournament:

* Most total points accumulated in group matches.
* Goal difference in all group matches.
* Greater number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams in the same group share the same ranking on the basis of the above criteria, the following tie-breakers are used, in this order:

1. Number of points obtained in all matches between the teams concerned.
2. Goal differential among the teams concerned.
3. Goals scored in all matches between the teams concerned.
4. Drawing of lots.

If criteria 1-3 don't break a tie between two teams who play each other in their last group match, penalty kicks will break their tie, not a drawing of lots.
Okay, first tiebreaker is Goal difference. Second is goals scored.

The USA has scored 3 goals, Nigeria 2, the Dutch 2.

Karakand

woodchuck said:

I am at a loss... can't find anything in my initial googling.

woodchuck

the disgruntled gamer said:
Okay, first tiebreaker is Goal difference. Second is goals scored.

The USA has scored 3 goals, Nigeria 2, the Dutch 2.

so all the US needs is a tie with Nigeria, and they're through.

jey_16

Banned
so where can i watch China v USA in the basketball live online? i'm in Australia and the broadcaster here is showing everything on tape delay :(

eznark

Banned
whoever was just doing the weightlifting, I think she was from Belarus or something...that was the most hideous looking thing that has ever been on television

iamblades

jey_16 said:
so where can i watch China v USA in the basketball live online? i'm in Australia and the broadcaster here is showing everything on tape delay :(

Why is Australia showing stuff on tape delay period? Not really a huge time zone difference there.

woodchuck

Karakand said:
So basically we need to draw or beat Nigeria while holding them to 1 goal. Great.

isn't it top 2 that advance?

all we have to do is draw with them. even if it's like 5-5. we'll still go through. we'll have the same amount of points as nigeria, same goal differential, but more goals scored.

TDG

Banned
woodchuck said:
isn't it top 2 that advance?

all we have to do is draw with them.
Yeah, but if we're number 2 we'll play Argentina in the first knockout stage game, and then our medal hopes are fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom