• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the Japan judo guy destroyed the French guy in the gold medal match

French guy could even get up

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
He landed on his head, then Uchishiba put the submission on him and that shit was over. Dude couldn't even get up. Wow. Uchishiba is awesome.

edit: America wasn't leading in golds for awhile last time too.

Karakand

NBC went to a lot of trouble in order to get major Olympic events like swimming and gymnastics on the air live in primetime in the United States. Now, after getting their wish, the Peacock Network is inexplicably showing those events on tape delay on the west coast.

Because the time difference from Beijing to the United States wouldn't allow NBC to air live coverage of events from China, swimming and gymnastics finals were moved to the morning in Beijing. The network paid $894 million to broadcast these Olympics and didn't want a redo of 2000, when every major event in Sydney was shown on tape delay (it's no coincidence that the ratings for those Games were the lowest in history).

But after enduring months of tough negotiations with the IOC to get the events moved, NBC is doing exactly what they tried to avoid: showing events on tape. Tonight's swimming finals with Michael Phelps, Dara Torres and Katie Hoff were not shown live in the Mountain or Pacific time zones, nor will they be shown for the entirety of the competition. NBC will instead ran the east coast feed three hours later; at 8:00 p.m. PT. So, at the moment (midnight on the east coast), viewers on the other side of the country still haven't seen Phelps shatter his own world record in the 400-meter individual medley.

This is a baffling decision by NBC. It's hard to recall any other time when a sporting event has been shown live in one half of the country, but not the other. It's unheard of. Sure, some sporting events start at weird times on the west coast, but that's the norm and people adapt. Like earthquakes, wildfires and actors-turned-governors, it's just how things are. That's why bars have breakfast buffets and bloody mary bars during football season for 10:00 a.m. kickoffs. If live mid-day weekend telecasts are good enough for the NFL and college football, why not the Olympics?

If the network plans on continuing the delay of the west coast feed, they're subjecting themselves to viewer backlash, poor ratings and upset advertisers. Essentially, NBC strong-armed the IOC into changing around a bulk of the Olympic schedule in order to broadcast live events in two time zones. Great business decision, guys. Why not just push Jay Leno out the door too while you're at it. (Oh, wait.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/be...ive-Olympic-events-from-west-co?urn=oly,99683

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah I didn't realize it's live on US tv too.

This sucks for me. The Oranje were my favorite team in the Euro 2008, now I have to cheer against you guys.

Karakand

If we lose to the Dutch we're fucked in group play.

Also we need to start knocking some skulls around for all the roughing Adu gets.

master15

Just watching some of the girls gymnastics-integrated. Those 12 year old looking girls never stop scaring me with their ninja like jumps and flips.

Karakand said:

Wow, nice link will is be showing the game live? (Basketball that is?)

Ps. Come on Aussie...getting got of handed by Croatia at the mo :(

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Does anybody know if it's possible to stream the archery final from earlier this morning? I like NBC's online system but I seem to have problems finding most of the already completed events.

EDIT: Or the trap shooting, I want to see that too :(

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
liquid_gears said:
What the FUCK America?

Your 'B' team just broke the WR in the Men's 4x100m in the heats.

:lol :lol :lol
Is this on TV? I don't see it in the feeds

master15

Karakand said:
I hope they are... I would like to watch it there instead of justintv or something.

Cool is that on Canadal 2?

Ps. What the hell happened to Australia's shooting? Talk about shooting nothing but air. Coatia is ripping them a new one.

RubxQub said:
Is this on TV? I don't see it in the feeds

It's on the BBC. I think it's live though I'm not 100% sure. They have been covering the aquatics for a while now.

It was funny because the commentators were in shock that the American B team won their heat with a new WR. They couldn't believe it. :lol :lol :lol

GB made the final anyway, but that WR will only last for about a day. :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Adu has really matured. Jeez finally Altidore.

fuenf

sp0rsk said:
Neither of those links work for me, seems like no one likes Japan :(

did you try hot spot shield? its bandwith is limited to 3gb and you will get popups but i was able to access the nbc website with it (from germany)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom