• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

DJ_Tet said:
Do you realize that the founding fathers set up the country with checks and balances? The president is not capable of doing whatever you think is sending the country down the shitter. There are a lot of hands on that lever, not ALL of them conservatives.
Have you been paying attention? If Bush is re-elected, it will be a Republican a) President, b) Senate and c) House of Representatives. Further, Bush will have the opportunity to name one or more Supreme Court justices in this term...possibly in the very near term, given that Rehnquist is fighting a serious cancer.

So where exactly is the "balance" in the system of checks and balances?

Phoenix said:
Dude there were gay/lesbian people who voted for Bush!

So? I'm sure there were fundamentalist christians who voted for Kerry. Both represent a very small minority of their respective groups. Are you suggesting a large amount of gay/lesbians voted for Bush? If not, then your point is moot.

I need something to cheer me up. Does anyone know where I can get a good John F. Kennedy wallpaper? Just something to put on my computer to remind me of the strength and hope that can be presented in a president. :)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Pochacco said:
You guys gotta stop blaming religion.
Gather your facts before finding a scapegoat.
Gather your facts. No one's blaming religion, but religious drones who place Bush's close relationship with Jesus above all else.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
-jinx- said:
Have you been paying attention? If Bush is re-elected, it will be a Republican a) President, b) Senate and c) House of Representatives. Further, Bush will have the opportunity to name one or more Supreme Court justices in this term...possibly in the very near term, given that Rehnquist is fighting a serious cancer.

it was never meant to be a two party system, the us is dead as we know it

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
marko said:
96% reporting in Ohio, bush ahead 123,000. It is over. CNN just needs to call it already.
It sounds like CNN is moving closer to giving Ohio to Bush, but they're not quite there yet.

Matlock

Banned
BEHOLD THE PERFECT VISTA OF THE REPUBLICAN FUTURE.

ALL RIGHT-WING. ALL STATES. DEMOCRAT THIRD PARTY. IT'S A DREAM WORTH BELIEVING IN.

Phoenix

The Shadow said:
So? I'm sure there were fundamentalist christians who voted for Kerry. Both represent a very small minority of their respective groups. Are you suggesting a large amount of gay/lesbians voted for Bush? If not, then your point is moot.

Over 23% of gay/lesbians polled said they voted for Bush, so yeah a very non trivial number.

Pochacco said:
You guys gotta stop blaming religion.
Gather your facts before finding a scapegoat.

You think it's a fluke that the RNC sent fliers that appealed specifically to the religious?

Gather your facts straight. Karl Rove and the RNC have not hidden their hunt for the religious vote. It's not a scapegoat, it's a widely known strategy.

Jim Bowie

A commentator of CNN just said that there has been no signifigant increase of votes aged 18-25 from the last 4 years. Therefore, "...they'll go and see Bruce Springsteen and the Dixie Chicks, but walking to the voting booth is too far to go."

Youth! My peers! You have failed me!

People have to realize that election day isn't the only time you can make a difference. What's stopping you guys from going out and improving your country? Donate to charity, volunteer somewhere, start a protest, because being sad won't help anything.

Phoenix

Jim Bowie said:
A commentator of CNN just said that there has been no signifigant increase of votes aged 18-25 from the last 4 years. Therefore, "...they'll go and see Bruce Springsteen and the Dixie Chicks, but walking to the voting booth is too far to go."

The percentage actually went down by 2% from the 2000 election. There were more new voters voting, but they were in the older age categories.

Dilbert

BobbyRobby said:
start a protest
Have YOU been paying attention? Tell me again what happened to the protesters at Bush's first inauguration, or at the RNC nominating convention this year.

DISSENT = TREASON

DJ_Tet

Banned
-jinx- said:

No, I didn't know that.

Wtf, do you mods seriously think that low of me? I said there were a lot more hands in the pot than just the president. I didn't know ranks held in every issue. If that were true, Bush surely would have vetoed one social spending program in the last four years. PS, in the last two years, the conservatives haven't had both the Senate and House.

Do your homework, come stronger.

Iceman

You guys don't understand (although I'm not jumping the gun yet) when your democratic party is finally put to bed there will be a two party system still remaining in the US.... as has always been the case throughout the history of American democracy... in this case the republican party itself will split and you'll see something along the lines of moderate conservatives vs right wingers.

But its really more likely that there will be a huge revival in the democratic party and they will take something back in 4 years.. (either the congress or the presidency, but probably not both). The democratic party as we know it will eventually dissolve but not for some time I imagine.

Yeah the younger generation, they're just too apathetic to go out and vote.

I do think as this generation gets older though, they will have more liberal views on things, and I think that saying the Democratic Party would fizzle is ridiculous.

Seth C

KE04 said:
Hrmm. Ohio is gaining towards Kerry. Less than 100,000k votes now. With tons to be counted...

George W. Bush (i) Rep 2,693,963 - 51 percent
John F. Kerry Dem 2,567,618 - 49 percent

Back up to over 120,000 votes with 4% to be counted. Nevada is much closer. Heck, Wisconsin is much closer.

impirius

jobber said:
Who would you rather have as VP.... me...or MrAngryFace?
Anyone who rocks a John Cena avatar gets my vote. And history will show that I've always been a big supporter of jobbers; I made an El Dandy sign once, for crying out loud.

Socreges said:
54% of voters believe that the War in Iraq was a part of the larger "war on terror".
man%20sitting%20on%20briefcase%20holding%20head%20looking%20frustrated.jpg

DJ_Tet

Banned
-jinx- said:

BTW libs were saying the same thing about the SC four years ago. It didn't happen, and barring Rehnquist's unfortunate disease, you can't guarantee anything will happen in the next four years. Fear mongering like that abortion will become illegal overnight is just as bad as conservatives claiming that the Bible will be banned. It's not gonna happen.

Phoenix

ZombieSupaStar said:
the more I read about my country the less I like it

remind me again why america is so great because Im not seeing it?

So if you have an ability to express your decision in the direction of the country and (apparently) the majority of the country disagrees with you - the country isn't great? I don't want Bush to win but fully understand that the greatness of the country comes from the people being able to decide the leaders, to debate how stupid they are on forums like these, to be able to run for office, to be able to form a corporate entity, and outside of some fairly obscure limitations - to live my life how I see fit.

If you don't see it, you need to go live in Rowanda or something for 4 years.

Look 2004 for the most part is over and done with. It's clear that the Left in both America and Australia have to rebuild: the question is, 'How?'
I don't see neither Party getting out of the runt some time soon. With all the talk of Beattie taking over National Labour it looks worrying.

Celicar

Banned
America rules!! Four more years for Bush! I'm so excited!!

I could have sworn there were posters on here saying they would leave the country if Bush won again. Well it's time to get out! LOL

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Bowie said:

It's not that there was no significant increase. There was no increase AT ALL. It's the EXACT same proportion of the vote.

That's another statistic that surprised the hell out of me. Apparently my generation talks a lot of shit, but they're unwilling to follow through on it. I don't really get it. It's not exactly difficult to go out and spend a few moments of your day once every 4 years (unless you live in certain parts of Ohio apparently).

John Edwards is going to speak momentarily.

Dilbert

DJ_Tet said:
Fear mongering like that abortion will become illegal overnight is just as bad as conservatives claiming that the Bible will be banned. It's not gonna happen.
Well, on the one hand, Kerry has NEVER said anything about banning the Bible. It's patently ludicrous, given that he himself is a CATHOLIC.

On the other hand, you have this interesting analysis of something Bush said a couple of weeks ago. Also, given Bush's political base and personal beliefs, of COURSE he's interested in overturning Roe v. Wade.

There is a difference between being afraid of something, and fearmongering.

Phoenix

The Chosen One said:
They should lift the voting age back up to 21.

The youth in this country are useless...

They are useful if you give them a reason to come out. Key issues that the democratic party didn't take advantage of:

RIAA lawsuits
Privacy issues
Copyright/patent legislation
Making education cheaper
Legalizing drugs

etc.

These are things that would motivate that user base. People younger than 21 *really* don't care all that much about some of the major issues such as health care, medicare, etc. There weren't many points brought up that would have energized the younger ages towards the democratic party.

Shutting down for the night.

aaaaa0

Phoenix said:
So if you have an ability to express your decision in the direction of the country and (apparently) the majority of the country disagrees with you - the country isn't great? I don't want Bush to win but fully understand that the greatness of the country comes from the people being able to decide the leaders, to debate how stupid they are on forums like these, to be able to run for office, to be able to form a corporate entity, and outside of some fairly obscure limitations - to live my life how I see fit.

If you don't see it, you need to go live in Rowanda or something for 4 years.

Phoenix +1000000000. Best post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom