• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

You realize this country will not have a Democratic president until 2012, most likely. Jeb, Rudy or McCain will run in 2008. All three of them are very likable. If they get re-elected... yep, 2016.

Not saying that's a FACT or anything, but I have a feeling future presidents will be carrying the republican torch for a long, long time.

chimpychi

BushCrucified.jpg

Mason

bushhome.jpg

It all comes down ta' who ya' trust. I will fight the war on terror, homo-sexuals, aberortions, and bad language on television. If this is what ya' want, come stand by me. I have morals, unlike the devil-worshippin' democrats.

Matlock

Banned
West Virginia and southeastern Ohio (poorass areas that shoulda voted dem) voted Rep (mostly) not because of the moral values, but because of the lax environmental policies. There's plenty of people scared shitless of a Democratic president, because the environmental policies would bust up their workplaces. :p

Piecake

God, what a crappy day. I did worse on my two midterms than i thought i was going to get. My fantasy basketball team played like crap. And now, it looks like Bush is going to win.

Think this stacks up as one of my worst days ever.

Phoenix

Diablos said:
What about those 250,000 ballots lost that were supposed to be democratic? They cannot forget about those and that could make kerry win the election

Guys GIVE IT UP, when these states are called these things are taken into account. All of the ballots would not be for any one candidate - that much is obvious and even if there were and you take a look at the number of people still in lines it just doesn't add up. It sucks that Bush is likely going to win this thing but accept it. If he wins he wins and that's the end of it - we'll have to deal with that a GOP House and a GOP senate and nothing is going to change that.

jiggle

-jinx- said:
Living in this country just got even more dangerous for anyone with any kind of intelligence or dissenting opinion. I'm seriously so angry that I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

It just depends on what state youl live in. Prop 71 passed easily, and that eased the anger a little for me.

But yeah, don't know how I'll be able to sleep.

Phoenix said:
Guys GIVE IT UP, when these states are called these things are taken into account. All of the ballots would not be for any one candidate - that much is obvious and even if there were and you take a look at the number of people still in lines it just doesn't add up. It sucks that Bush is likely going to win this thing but accept it. If he wins he wins and that's the end of it - we'll have to deal with that a GOP House and a GOP senate and nothing is going to change that.

I'm with Phoenix guys, it's over. Wait 'til next election </cubs fan>.

Dilbert

Diablos said:
You realize this country will not have a Democratic president until 2012, most likely. Jeb, Rudy or McCain will run in 2008. All three of them are very likable. If they get re-elected... yep, 2016.
What makes you think that there will EVER be another Democratic president?

Seriously -- the country has become even more polarized than ever. All those red states you see on the map are being fed a steady diet of brain-numbing crap over AM radio and in churches. When exactly do you think they are miraculously going to wake up? It sure as hell won't happen when malignant fuckers like Karl Rove can use slogans and outright lies to manipulate them.

The dumbing down of America is a STRATEGY, and the very nature of it makes it impossible to combat with reason or evidence.

fart

Savant
you have to admit there's a certain intelligence in how the administration manipulated voters, jinx.

clearly you're correct on the dissenting opinions.

fart

Savant
-jinx- said:
What makes you think that there will EVER be another Democratic president?

Seriously -- the country has become even more polarized than ever. All those red states you see on the map are being fed a steady diet of brain-numbing crap over AM radio and in churches. When exactly do you think they are miraculously going to wake up? It sure as hell won't happen when malignant fuckers like Karl Rove can use slogans and outright lies to manipulate them.

The dumbing down of America is a STRATEGY, and the very nature of it makes it impossible to combat with reason or evidence.
nail, hammer, head.

Dilbert

Mason said:
Jinx, where the fuck have you been all night? Or was I just somehow missing your posts?
My girlfriend and I walked to the polling place after work, and we watched the election coverage on TV. She left a little while ago to get some sleep...but I don't think I'm going to get any sleep at all for several nights.

This may have been the last chance to turn back from some REALLY scary shit that's on the horizon, and America screwed up.

First, before any Christian-bashing gets out of hand, let's acknowledge that Christianity is a very big fucking banner and that at least 70% of this country considers itself quite religious. That means that quite a few Christians voted for Kerry and for progressive values, and they sure as hell don't deserve any shit.

However, it's worth noting that Millenialism really swelled the ranks of the evangelical/fundamentalist set. Millenialism is an eschatological belief that presumes a cataclysmic event of a religious nature that happens on an ordained date, such as a new millenium. However, it's a cyclical event, and while it may have galvanized a particular political bloc post-2000, it WILL dissipate in the coming years. So don't get yer anti-religious panic on just yet; although us secular types are in for some hurt feelings in the coming four years, the pendulum WILL swing back.

Also, for the gloating Evangelicals: remember that it's the Constitution and the lack of a theorcratic state that keeps us from being, well, the Christian sister to militant Islam. Show a little respect.

Razoric

Banned
Ok I really am going to bed.

It's nice to see Bush win, now I know I'm safe from terrorists and my freedom is secure from nuclear weapons of mass destruction. Thank you bush for protecting my freedom. fucking douche

GG-Duo

Look, every time someone says "SCREW THOSE CHRISTIANS MORONS. RELIGION IS FOR ASSHOLES", I get kinda offended.

The problem isn't religion itself - but somewhere along the way the words were terrible twisted.
Honestly, would Jesus support the war? Outsourcing? Corporate greed? argh.

Drinky Crow said:
First, before any Christian-bashing gets out of hand, let's acknowledge that Christianity is a very big fucking banner and that at least 70% of this country considers itself quite religious. That means that quite a few Christians voted for Kerry and for progressive values, and they sure as hell don't deserve any shit.

However, it's worth noting that Millenialism really swelled the ranks of the evangelical/fundamentalist set. Millenialism is an eschatological belief that presumes a cataclysmic event of a religious nature that happens on an ordained date, such as a new millenium. However, it a cyclical event, and while it may have galvanized a particular political bloc post-2000, it WILL dissipate in the coming years. So don't get yer anti-religious panic on just yet; although us secular types are in for some hurt feelings in the coming four years, the pendulum WILL swing back.

Thank you, sir.

-jinx- said:
Seriously -- the country has become even more polarized than ever..

Know what polarizes Americans ever further? Calling republicans hicks, morons, Nascar fans. Its really not helping your cause.

shoplifter

Duck of Death said:
Damnit. Damnit, damnit, damnit.
I don't understand Ohio. How can a state so devastated by Bush's policies support him so much?

Because outside of Columbus and Cleveland is Jesusville. I fucking hate it.

Phoenix

Razoric said:

It's nice to see Bush win, now I know I'm safe from terrorists and my freedom is secure from nuclear weapons of mass destruction. Thank you bush for protecting my freedom. fucking douche

I thought he was supposed to be the shit sandwich?

Ill Saint

I'm utterly dismayed. This is really quite devestating.

Oh, and I bet Bush can't wait to start drilling in those Alaskan Arctic National Wildlife Refuge oil hotspots.

Don't worry America, you ain't that bad .
We voted for a guy who lied to us numerously but we voted him in since the economy is good- so who cares if we alienate our Asian neighbours further by becoming America's bitch. Who gives a shit about the environment- it all pie in the sky stuff it's never going to affect us.
Ya know the UK is going to vote for Blair since their left leader is the only competant leader they feel they have and Italy- their president in some way owns a majority of the media- so no qualms there.
We all reap what we sow.

FightyF

Banned
I am LOVING these Democrat reactions all over the web... the level of depression and confusion I am encountering is a laugh riot.

Yeah, they felt the same depression and confusion as 9/11 was occurring.

At the same time, there were neocons with grins a mile wide.

It's history repeating itself!!11

GG-Duo: I agree, you can't blame religion...it's the extremists that give it a bad name.

I swear to God, I was going to post a thread with the subject line "Do religious extremists control the World?", and I was going to post it around a month ago. Now knowing that dumbed-down-religion did play such a huge role in this election, I think I'll post it tomorow.

alejob

Razoric said:

Sorry but if Bush continues to "spread freedom" there will be more people who will want to terrorise you.

Oh, don't be such drama queens. Get drunk, rant a little, but in the end, remember that the BEST thing you can do to fight what you DON'T like is to become politically active and set a better example for America. Squealing about flight to other countries just makes it harder for those of us who plan to stay here and fight the good fight.

I declare the ban on JOHN TITOR officially OVER. GET YER TIME MACHINE ON!

Dilbert

Drinky Crow said:

However, it's worth noting that Millenialism really swelled the ranks of the evangelical/fundamentalist set. Millenialism is an eschatological belief that presumes a cataclysmic event of a religious nature that happens on an ordained date, such as a new millenium. However, it a cyclical event, and while it may have galvanized a particular political bloc post-2000, it WILL dissipate in the coming years. So don't get yer anti-religious panic on just yet; although us secular types are in for some hurt feelings in the coming four years, the pendulum WILL swing back.

Also, for the gloating Evangelicals: remember that it's the Constitution and the lack of a theorcratic state that keeps us from being, well, the Christian sister to militant Islam. Show a little respect.
Fair enough -- not all Christians are the same. I'll make two points, though.

1) As far as I can tell, the "cataclysmic event" that has presented itself is the "war on terror." You don't think that the confluence of evangelical Christianity and the increasing rhetoric about the divine inspiration for our overseas military actions is a coincidence, do you?

2) As a former Catholic, I think that it's deeply fucked up that fringe issues like stem cell research or gay marriage trumps more important spiritual concerns like, say, providing for those in need and avoiding needless bloodshed in preemptive wars. If you're going to start building the city of God on earth, as Augustine wrote, you'd better start with the BIG stuff first.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
fart said:
you have to admit there's a certain intelligence in how the administration manipulated voters, jinx.

Agreed.

Karl Rove decided that the GOP could get the Bush-base excited by promising them to make all the new, frightening, challenging, different people and ideas go away, and it worked. You have to give them props for that. They had the best plan, and even though voter turnout was better this year, it wasn't enough for democrats.

A slight majority in this country puts their moral values and religion above their financial and national security. They essentially sacrifice their earthly lives for heavenly gains. It's a wonder that this mentality doesn't recognize similar characteristics in "middle-eastern boogymen" with whom they wage war.

I do think we'll see a different face on the GOP in races to come. Republicans are saavy enough to know that while going after the Christian Right works in short-term bursts, it's a bad strategy for long-term planning. That's why the rising power-base in the Republican Party is secular: McCain, Guiliani, Schwarzenegger...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ill Saint said:
Oh, and I bet Bush can't wait to start drilling in those Alaskan Arctic National Wildlife Refuge oil hotspots.
With the stronger Republican Senate, they're already talking about an aggressive plan to get this going. :(

Mason

Drinky Crow said:
Oh, don't be such drama queens. Get drunk, rant a little, but in the end, remember that the BEST thing you can do to fight what you DON'T like is to become politically active and set a better example for America. Squealing about flight to other countries just makes it harder for those of us who plan to stay here and fight the good fight.

Do you realize this isn't just about tonight? This is about the past four years, the next four years, and every year following in which it will take a large amount of time and effort to undo what Bush has done/is doing. As far as civil rights, funding for science, the environment, the economy, foreign relations, etc etc etc.

VPhys

Phoenix said:
we'll have to deal with that a GOP House and a GOP senate and nothing is going to change that.

You forgot the most important part.

The appointment of extreme religious-right conservative Supreme Court justices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom