• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
DJ_Tet said:
BTW libs were saying the same thing about the SC four years ago. It didn't happen, and barring Rehnquist's unfortunate disease, you can't guarantee anything will happen in the next four years. Fear mongering like that abortion will become illegal overnight is just as bad as conservatives claiming that the Bible will be banned. It's not gonna happen.
This is true.

Except now all those same justices are even four years older.

impirius

Edwards: "It's been a long night, but we've waited four years for this victory. We can wait one more night." Aw hell...

CBS CUT AWAY TO COMMERCIAL?!

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
impirius said:
Edwards: "It's been a long night, but we've waited four years for this victory. We can wait one more night." Aw hell...

CBS CUT AWAY TO COMMERCIAL?!

They needed to reboot Rather

Jim Bowie

CNN Just gave MI to Kerry.

What kind of fucking speech was Edwards giving? It was basically, "we're gonna make sure all the votes are counted, thanks guys!"

Zaptruder

Banned
Phoenix said:
They are useful if you give them a reason to come out. Key issues that the democratic party didn't take advantage of:

RIAA lawsuits
Privacy issues
Copyright/patent legislation
Making education cheaper
Legalizing drugs

etc.

These are things that would motivate that user base. People younger than 21 *really* don't care all that much about some of the major issues such as health care, medicare, etc. There weren't many points brought up that would have energized the younger ages towards the democratic party.

Shutting down for the night.

He should've made a push towards better internet as one of the campaign platforms :p

Xenon

1) As far as I can tell, the "cataclysmic event" that has presented itself is the "war on terror." You don't think that the confluence of evangelical Christianity and the increasing rhetoric about the divine inspiration for our overseas military actions is a coincidence, do you?

Can you back that up with a quote from this administration? I have heard Bush bless the troops but never once heard that we are doing god's will.

DJ_Tet

Banned
MetatronM said:
This is true.

Except now all those same justices are even four years older.

Very true, why do you think the conservatives turned out so strong tonight? ;)

Just kidding, I can only speak for myself, but I believe banning abortions would cause much more problems than it would solve. Think coat-hangers. I'm against abortion, and wish I had someone running for office that held all of my views. Unfortunately for some, I'm willing to risk abortions for other positions.

Dilbert

Xenon said:
Can you back that up with a quote from this administration? I have heard Bush bless the troops but never once heard that we are doing god's will.
I didn't say the quote was from Bush.

impirius

Holy crap, CNN is calling states for Kerry left and right! They have him up to 242 to Bush's 249.

"No one can win tonight..."

This is hilarious.

DJ_Tet

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Isn't DiCaprio a hardcore Democrat that was campaigning for Kerry?

Are you one of those gay Republicans or something?

It's because he's Lemming from OA. Pretty obvious.

Celicar said:
America rules!! Four more years for Bush! I'm so excited!!

I could have sworn there were posters on here saying they would leave the country if Bush won again. Well it's time to get out! LOL

Nah Ill just wait till I hitch a ride somewhere after we all get drafted and then go awol.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
:lol

And now CNN gives Hawaii to Kerry.

OMG!!! KERRY ONLY 7 VOTES BEHIND!!!!

:lol

This is stupid. Can't you just give Ohio to Bush already. The chance of Kerry winning it is so miniscule now.

Rather: 175,000 Provisional ballots in black disctricts of Cincy and Cleveland yet to be counted.

This is Kerry's presidency! We won, we won! *High fives KE04*

It's because he's Lemming from OA. Pretty obvious.

I don't post or read OA, sorry. It's just funny, it'd kinda be like a big Democrat supporter having a Bill O' Reilly avatar (one without a dildo up his ass).

Socreges

Banned
Phoenix said:
So if you have an ability to express your decision in the direction of the country and (apparently) the majority of the country disagrees with you - the country isn't great? I don't want Bush to win but fully understand that the greatness of the country comes from the people being able to decide the leaders, to debate how stupid they are on forums like these, to be able to run for office, to be able to form a corporate entity, and outside of some fairly obscure limitations - to live my life how I see fit.

If you don't see it, you need to go live in Rowanda or something for 4 years.
Yes, democracy is a relatively great thing. But the fact remains that the majority vote is being dictated by many people that have been misled by the very administration that they re-elected. Rule by the people is, as it stands, the best form of government. But where is the value in that when the people are being manipulated and misled by their government? That even though they are exercising their own choice, that choice arises from deception?

Some may even consider that and still see America as a great country. But that doesn't mean that many can't be distressed over the flaws of the system that are never addressed. That people mechanically praise their country and form of government while never conscious of what is perpetually dragging it down.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Socreges said:
Yes, democracy is a relatively great thing. But the fact remains that the majority vote is being dictated by many people that have been misled by the very administration that they re-elected. Rule by the people is, as it stands, the best form of government. But where is the value in that when the people are being manipulated and misled by their government? That even though they are exercising their own choice, that choice arises from deception?

Some may even consider that and still see America as a great country. But that doesn't mean that many can't be distressed over the flaws of the system that are never addressed. That people mechanically praise their country and form of government while never conscious of what is perpetually dragging it down.

rule by the people is great, i think our major problem is majority rule, it's really a terrible manner to make decisions

DJ_Tet

Banned
I can't believe that four years later we've still got major networks giving states prematurely.

We didn't learn shit in the last four years.

Wow..this could be Red Sox v Yankees game 4 for Kerry...he's been looking doomed for a while now and it seems as though a complete turnaround could be possible with Ohio/Indiana..

Cyan

Banned
So first those morons in Iowa saddled us with Kerry... and then proceeded to vote for Bush.

Thanks a lot, assholes.

Socreges

Banned
nathkenn said:
rule by the people is great, i think our major problem is majority rule, it's really a terrible manner to make decisions
I'm not going to bother getting into the problems with majority rule itself. What would you suggest as an alternative? Rule by the people, at least for now, HAS to be majority rule.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
DJ_Tet said:
I can't believe that four years later we've still got major networks giving states prematurely.

We didn't learn shit in the last four years.

I know, and just a few hours ago they were saying they learned their lesson and wouldn't be doing it again lol

impirius

nathkenn said:
That's why we have the representative form of government; representatives are meant to act as "buffers" for the desires of the populace. They're supposed to research the issues and make decisions based on not only the desires of their constituents, but also on what they believe is right, just, and best for the [city | state | country]. The people are supposed to elect candidates based not only on their views but also on their ability to reason and compromise. That's where we fall short, IMO.

Hahaha, Olbermann called Bunning "a man who last smiled on his bubble gum card in 1957."

Iceman

It's basically a 2.4% difference in Ohio with only 3.2% of the votes remaining to be counted. I guess it's possible that 75% of all the remaining votes could go to Kerry.. but let's just say I'm skeptical.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
They don't care, they are conservative

Most conservatives would disagree with you vehemently.

edit--these are the same networks (i.e. I'm only watching NBC, just like four years ago) who called Florida for Gore. I think you're sadly misinformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom