• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.
map.gif

God am gonna be sick and i ain't even an American.

These christians just signed our death wishes

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Drinky Crow said:
I declare the ban on JOHN TITOR officially OVER. GET YER TIME MACHINE ON!

YEA!!!

Someone make thread with a checklist of prophetic events that have happened/are happening.

Phoenix

Mason said:
Do you realize this isn't just about tonight? This is about the past four years, the next four years, and every year following in which it will take a large amount of time and effort to undo what Bush has done/is doing. As far as civil rights, funding for science, the environment, the economy, foreign relations, etc etc etc.

Yes, that's true. But suck it up. We will have to undo the damage so we might as well get ready for that. If the battle is over, so be it. Maybe someone here will work with the democratic party and get them a plan, some balls, and a good presidential candidate in the next 4 years.

marko

CNN must want the tv ratings now, they just moved Ohio to "too close to call" saying with the 370,000 + 250,000 votes left, still too close to call.

fart

Savant
Goreomedy said:
Agreed.

Karl Rove decided that the GOP could get the Bush-base excited by promising them to make all the new, frightening, challenging, different people and ideas go away, and it worked. You have to give them props for that. They had the best plan, and even though voter turnout was better this year, it wasn't enough for democrats.

A slight majority in this country puts their moral values and religion above their financial and national security. They essentially sacrifice their earthly lives for heavenly gains. It's a wonder that this mentality doesn't recognize similar characteristics in "middle-eastern boogymen" with whom they wage war.

I do think we'll see a different face on the GOP in races to come. Republicans are saavy enough to know that while going after the Christian Right works in short-term bursts, it's a bad strategy for long-term planning. That's why the rising power-base in the Republican Party is secular: McCain, Guiliani, Schwarzenegger...
you're an optimistic man. i like that.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
man wtf?

I tried to get a break from the news and turn it to a local station that broadcast MTV2 for free and now it's a religious station. WTF?!

First the election now they're making me pay $10 for MTV2.

I need to format C: myself

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Iowa's vote counting process has broken!

Literally. Count machines broke, the office workers are fatigued, and they are having problems with absentee ballots.

PS2 KID

You really have to blame the DNC and whomever else packaged Kerry. I mean here was a president that was absolutely hated by so many yet they could not find a way to beat him. I'm sure many of us could have done a much much better job on Kerry's campaign. How stupid do you have to be to lose a campaign to Dubya? Dubya of all people?

I'm desperately waiting for 2008 where hopefully the Reps swing back to moderates like McCain, Guiliani, etc. It's too bad the party system will support a president who isn't even their best candidate.

That's the thing about the religious right. "Moral values" like abortion, gay marriages, and stem cell research mean more than the economy, the war on terror, etc. I mean, there was a reason why fliers said(falsely) that Kerry would ban the bible. That's a scary reality for the paranoid ultra-religious right.

Those who voted because of religious issues more than anything else are no different than the people who support Jihad against the US as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love it if I turn out wrong but I think this war on terror will escalate because of this.

And sure, there are those who are religious, logical, intelligent all at the same time. Those weren't the people who ate TV evangelist endorsements with a spoon, ignoring real issues because gay marriage and stem cell research were the reason we were "punished" on 9/11.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Zilch said:
It's really sad that you'd actually believe anyone in America was happy that 9/11 happened.

well - have a good read of the Project for a New American Century (PNAC- whose members include Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, and Woolsey) website and you'll see that their plans relied on a 'cataclysmic' event ('or a new Pearl Harbour') to be set in motion. easier to believe?

1) As far as I can tell, the "cataclysmic event" that has presented itself is the "war on terror." You don't think that the confluence of evangelical Christianity and the increasing rhetoric about the divine inspiration for our overseas military actions is a coincidence, do you?

2) As a former Catholic, I think that it's deeply fucked up that fringe issues like stem cell research or gay marriage trumps more important spiritual concerns like, say, providing for those in need and avoiding needless bloodshed in preemptive wars. If you're going to start building the city of God on earth, as Augustine wrote, you'd better start with the BIG stuff first.

I PERSONALLY agree with you in both cases. I think a certain portion of this country WOULD like a showdown with Islam for the title of The One True Faith (tm), and that makes me shit my pants more than any missing WMDs, trickle-down nonsense, or gay civil rights abuses might.

As for the second point, well, religion isn't about perspective. In the evangelical form, it's the most supremely selfish indulgence of all: sacrificing the world for your heavenly reward. People with even the SLIGHTEST sense of altruism shouldn't be expected to understand it, and I prefer that they don't. ;)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
-jinx- said:
2) As a former Catholic, I think that it's deeply fucked up that fringe issues like stem cell research or gay marriage trumps more important spiritual concerns like, say, providing for those in need and avoiding needless bloodshed in preemptive wars. If you're going to start building the city of God on earth, as Augustine wrote, you'd better start with the BIG stuff first.
Wow, I could have written every word of that, right down to being a former Catholic. It's scary, because really it just demonstrates a certain selfishness. Protecting the sanctity of their heterosexual marriages and striking down abortion is more important than saving far more lives from violence and poverty.

FUCK OHIO

Aren't you Dutch, don't you have to worry about the 'right' in your own country as well?

Trust me i'm very worried, we have trops in IRAQ too and we may as well get used to people being blown up in our cities centers.

The whole world looks pretty dark right now.

I'm skipping class, i don't know what to do, i can't even cry although am trying to

Another 4 years of George

FUCK OHIO

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox, has his private jet on stand-by for Democratic lawyers to mobilize if need by.

:lol

HERE WE GO! NOW we've got an election. :lol

God, this country is a disaster. :lol

Phoenix

The Shadow said:
That's the thing about the religious right. "Moral values" like abortion, gay marriages, and stem cell research mean more than the economy, the war on terror, etc. I mean, there was a reason why fliers said(falsely) that Kerry would ban the bible. That's a scary reality for the paranoid ultra-religious right.

Those who voted because of religious issues more than anything else are no different than the people who support Jihad against the US as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love it if I turn out wrong but I think this war on terror will escalate because of this.

And sure, there are those who are religious, logical, intelligent all at the same time. Those weren't the people who ate TV evangelist endorsements with a spoon, ignoring real issues because gay marriage and stem cell research were the reason we were "punished" on 9/11.

Dude there were gay/lesbian people who voted for Bush! I think we're drawing conclusions where none can be drawn. The exit polls themselves are very interesting tidbits of information, but its very difficult to draw any conclusions from them.

impirius

CNN and CBS still won't call Ohio for Bush... who'da thought?

CNN reports that the Kerry camp's plane (owned by the owner of the BoSox) is warmed up and ready to take the hordes of lawyers where they need to go. I heard Kerry say in an interview earlier this week that he had ten thousand lawyers... break out the popcorn!

DJ_Tet

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Yeah, they felt the same depression and confusion as 9/11 was occurring.

At the same time, there were neocons with grins a mile wide.

I don't think I'm a neocon, but I assure you, 9/11 fucked me up personally. I've been in therapy because of 9/11. I was not grinning. Wtf?

Phoenix

Fixed2BeBroken said:
lol @ suck it up.

like we just lost a football game here.

"yea i know kid, but just suck it up"

WOW....

lol

Its either that or sit around and whine like a little bitch and rant about how 'I didn't vote for him' or 'he stole the election' or some other such bullshit. If its over its over.

The Catholic Church was against the war in Iraq. Mel Gibson even has his issues with the war in Iraq.

I think it's more of the splinter Christians (not true Catholics) that dominate the US.

I can't believe so many of you guys are giving up. Hell...we lost Iowa and NM it looks like. That only puts Bush at 261.

Nevada, NH, Wisc, Mich were all going kerry last time I checked.

It comes down to Ohio. Kerry I guess has it under 100,000. There are 150,000 + provisional ballots. Plus absentee and who knows.

We can do this...we can win. Don't give up. Get out there and demand the truth. Protest the outcome of the election.

Hell, Kerry just got NH!

We can do this. Ohio can be ours.

Dan said:
Wow, I could have written every word of that, right down to being a former Catholic. It's scary, because really it just demonstrates a certain selfishness. Protecting the sanctity of their heterosexual marriages and striking down abortion is more important than saving far more lives from violence and poverty.

If you believe Abortion is murder, like Catholics do, that's over 1 million murders each year.

I personally can't wait until there is Reversible Sterilization at birth, so this abortion mess won't be an issue.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Mason said:
Do you realize this isn't just about tonight? This is about the past four years, the next four years, and every year following in which it will take a large amount of time and effort to undo what Bush has done/is doing. As far as civil rights, funding for science, the environment, the economy, foreign relations, etc etc etc.

Do you realize that the founding fathers set up the country with checks and balances? The president is not capable of doing whatever you think is sending the country down the shitter. There are a lot of hands on that lever, not ALL of them conservatives.

Bat

Well, Catholics are a minority. When Christians as a group are discussed in a US context, people do not generally mean Catholics (hell, the Pope was against the war in Iraq).

PS2 KID said:
You really have to blame the DNC and whomever else packaged Kerry. I mean here was a president that was absolutely hated by so many yet they could not find a way to beat him. I'm sure many of us could have done a much much better job on Kerry's campaign. How stupid do you have to be to lose a campaign to Dubya? Dubya of all people?

I agree with this to a point. Kerry wasn't aggressive enough IMO. He didn't defend the whole "Flip-Flop" thing well enough. He didn't attack the Swift boat vet accusations aggressively enough. With or without McCain's help, he should have aired previous Bush ads that attacked McCain in a similar manner and addressed the whole character assassination issues. He didn't do this aggressively enough.

Another thing you have to remember is that voter turnout was fantastic this election and Bush is getting a huge lead on the popular vote. That means that it wasn't simply the DNC's fault or that Kerry was a shoe-in. I suspect the appeal to the religious right got them out to vote more than Kerry's appeal to the younger more liberal crowed. That's what did him in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If Kerry wins, I'll scream in the streets. If Bush wins, I'll scream in the streets. So I'm going to yell at the top of my lungs no matter what happens.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
ErasureAcer said:
I can't believe so many of you guys are giving up. Hell...we lost Iowa and NM it looks like. That only puts Bush at 261.

It comes down to Ohio. Kerry I guess has it under 100,000. There are 150,000 + provisional ballots. Plus absentee and who knows.

We can do this...we can win. Don't give up. Get out there and demand the truth. Protest the outcome of the election.

Hell, Kerry just got NH!

win or lose, i've lost hope because so many idiots voted for bush, it really scares me that people can be this unbelievable

Phoenix

ErasureAcer said:

Check again. NV is 50-49 with 56% reporting. That's going to be another close one but is leaning bush.

Kon Tiki

Banned
ErasureAcer said:

Hell, Kerry just got NH!

Bush has Nev, NM, Iowa and Ohio.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Win would have been bigger too if it wasn't for those WHACKED exit polls showing Kerry winning EVERYTHING. Trust me, the Bush supporters I know were seriously bummed out when they got wind of those very bad BC04 exit poll results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom