• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

ElyrionX said:
That's the problem with a lot of Americans and people around the world nowadays. Everybody is just so myopic, parochial and selfish. The US is the only superpower in the world today and the leader of such a country matters a lot. Not only to your country but to the global community as well.

I'm only 21 and I'm a college student in Singapore and I seem to give more of a damn than you about this election.

Time to start feeling sorry for yourself and grow the fuck up........

Well said. HOw much longer can we keep acting alone before the consequences catch up with us?

Hollywood said:
Yes, its stupid to not put a value on essentially a status symbol. Damn you can't marry a guy, big deal. Love who you want, a fucking piece of paper doesn't verify whats in your heart, whether you love a guy or girl. I think its bull either way. People arguing that marriage is such a big deal need to shove it, its just a status symbol. People who argue two of the same sex ruins the sancitity of marriage need to shut the hell up, because there's one helluva divorce rate and plenty of drive thru chapels. Oh dont want to ruin the sanctity of that.

I'm not republican or democrat, liberal or conservative ... but it just seems like the stupidity of one side need to be evened out with just as stupid statements from the other. Everyone eneeds to shut the hell up and think outside of a fucking party and decide on your own who you want in, and not on a party.

There are legal benefits that go with marriage (adoption, patners rights etc).

Edit: already said by eggplant

Dilbert

Iceman said:
just because you believe that the sanctity of marriage doesn't exist doesn't mean that it's true or that other people don't believe just the opposite. That's why we have a democracy in place to deal with these issues. People disagree on things.
Hey, your bigotry against gays is totally repulsive!

Oh, feel free to disagree. Democracy, etc. kthxbye

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Hollywood said:
Yes, its stupid to not put a value on essentially a status symbol. Damn you can't marry a guy, big deal. Love who you want, a fucking piece of paper doesn't verify whats in your heart, whether you love a guy or girl. I think its bull either way. People arguing that marriage is such a big deal need to shove it, its just a status symbol. People who argue two of the same sex ruins the sancitity of marriage need to shut the hell up, because there's one helluva divorce rate and plenty of drive thru chapels. Oh dont want to ruin the sanctity of that.

I'm not republican or democrat, liberal or conservative ... but it just seems like the stupidity of one side need to be evened out with just as stupid statements from the other. Everyone eneeds to shut the hell up and think outside of a fucking party and decide on your own who you want in, and not on a party.

Your emotions are in the right place, but your hate of Nintendo has fucked with the facts.
Marriage is not just about a piece of paper, if it was, there would be no issue.
This election is probably based on parties less than any other in history.

Hollywood

Banned
ElyrionX said:
That's the problem with a lot of Americans and people around the world nowadays. Everybody is just so myopic, parochial and selfish. The US is the only superpower in the world today and the leader of such a country matters a lot. Not only to your country but to the global community as well.

I'm only 21 and I'm a college student in Singapore and I seem to give more of a damn than you about this election.

Time to start feeling sorry for yourself and grow the fuck up........

Oh well I'm sorry you live in Singapore and care more than me. It's not being selfish or cocky, its just I don't give a damn who runs this country anymore, because the fucking two party system is ridiculous.

Dude I just wanna go about my fucking business without hearing a bunch of idiots try to preach to me about how so and so matters when it really doesnt. Wow, the main issues in this country is on wording of marriage in the constitution when we have crazy ass shit flying in our skies we just ignore, chem trails everywhere shooting our of military craft, and an election where both candidates come from the same secret society. Damn .. sorry if I don't find the stupid shit put in on the news so damn significant.

snapty00

Banned
I think gays ought to be able to get "married," if that's what they choose to call it. Heck, I'll never accept it as a true marriage, but I do believe they should be able to be recognized as a marriage under law (and thus, file jointly on taxes, I guess).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
snapty00 said:
I'm not trying to defend this guy, but he's basically right. If you win both the electoral vote and the popular vote by a nice margin, then you really don't have much to stand on in terms of opposition. :\
Except the electoral vote would be the thing in question with the challenge being that the opposition didn't win the electoral vote at all.

Like I said, I don't think Kerry is going to win, and I don't think this is going to go any longer than tomorrow really.

You do understand that marriage has HUGE legal importance on a person's life, right? You know, stuff like insurance costs, tax codes, and so on and so forth.

It's not like gay people just want to wear a ring or something. There are HUGE legal implications that come with being married or not for the individual.

DJ_Tet

Banned
RiZ III said:
Why? So you can kill another 400 thousand in the next four years?

That's my goal, personally, as a Republican. What is wrong with you?

Even your candidate said that the world was better off without Saddam? No matter the reasons we went in, both agreed that stabilization needed to occur before we withdraw. You can't change the past dude, and NO ONE wants to "kill another 400 thousand in the next four years." Talk about generalizations.

Hollywood

Banned
Sactown said:
Your emotions are in the right place, but your hate of Nintendo has fucked with the facts.
Marriage is not just about a piece of paper, if it was, there would be no issue.
This election is probably based on parties less than any other in history.

Hate of Nintendo? WTF did that come from ... LOL

Socreges

Banned
mac said:
Well said. HOw much longer can we keep acting alone before the consequences catch up with us?
What can happen in four years? I wonder. Probably nothing. Iraq will keep America occupied (rofl), so no more wars. But I'm sure we can expect the deteriorating relations with other countries to accelerate.

Dilbert

Hollywood said:
Dude I just wanna go about my fucking business without hearing a bunch of idiots try to preach to me about how so and so matters when it really doesnt.
So why exactly are you in this thread?

Amazing!
With new mexicao count reporting at 103%(don't ask me how but that's how yahoo is reporting), none of the network is giving to Bush b/c none of them wants to give it to Bush b/c that'd give him the 270+ EV.

RiZ III

The biggest reason I didn't want Bush in power, was cause I think hes too much of a loon to be in charge of the most powerful country in the world. I mean he thinks that hes on some mission from God. Wtf.

FightyF

Banned
The way you saw it was that neocons were cheering in the streets during 9/11. You've seen your error, and as far as I'm concerned our beef is over.

That wasn't the way I saw it, but I did paint the wrong picture by miscommunicating. Sorry about that.

But I do think that for neocons, 9/11 was exactly what they needed/required and they know it too.

snapty00

Banned
MetatronM said:
Except the electoral vote would be the thing in question with the challenge being that the opposition didn't win the electoral vote at all.

Like I said, I don't think Kerry is going to win, and I don't think this is going to go any longer than tomorrow really.
I think what he was trying to say, though, is that whoever has to ultimately make that decision *is* going to take account of the popular vote in that area.

But yeah, this probably won't be drawn out like the 2000 election no matter what happens.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
xexex said:
CBSNEWS Dan Rather - delusional -1,000,000

NBCNEWS Tom Brokaw - rational +1,000,000

Dan Rather has lost it...agree 100% with you.

Kettch

just because you believe that the sanctity of marriage doesn't exist doesn't mean that it's true or that other people don't believe just the opposite. That's why we have a democracy in place to deal with these issues. People disagree on things.

You do realize that barring an overturn of the first amendment, there is no possible way to "protect the sanctity of marriage" from gays right? They can have a religious marriage today, in any state. These latest votes have absolutely nothing to do with the sanctity of marriage, they concern civil marriage.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
snapty00 said:
Which states are proportionally distributing electoral votes this time? I know one or two are.

thats the way it should be done everywhere, when a state is 51/49 its absurd to give it to one candidate. i was under the impression that electors were encouraged to vote with the popular vote but didnt have to. i'm sure it probably differs from state to state

impirius

snapty00 said:
Which states are proportionally distributing electoral votes this time? I know one or two are.
Nebraska and Maine. Colorado shot down an initiative about that this election, but I guess you saw that already. :)

Here's a question: What would the electoral votes look like if every state used the proportional system?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
BruceWayne said:
Amazing!
With new mexicao count reporting at 103%(don't ask me how but that's how yahoo is reporting), none of the network is giving to Bush b/c none of them wants to give it to Bush b/c that'd give him the 270+ EV.
Yeah. I asked a little while ago why no one gave it to him when it was at 96 or 99% and Bush had a 5 point lead. That has to be the only reason why. None of the networks that called Ohio want to take that back, but none of them want to declare Bush the winner of the Presidency either since the election is still obviously in dispute.

What a catch-22 Fox and NBC have worked themselves into. After all that talk about how great they were going to do with calling states and how they weren't going to screw it up, they find themselves in a position where they have to either declare victory "prematurely" or just stopping announcing states that fall into the Bush camp. How droll. :D

snapty00

Banned
nathkenn said:
thats the way it should be done everywhere, when a state is 51/49 its absurd to give it to one candidate. i was under the impression that electors were encouraged to vote with the popular vote but didnt have to. i'm sure it probably differs from state to state
Well, they really shouldn't have the electoral college nowadays, anyway. It causes more headaches than anything else. I'm sure they served their purpose well in the context in which they were made, but nowadays, they just don't seem to make much sense.

Meier

Matlock said:
When you're knee deep in sand, and your brother is being deported for his sexuality...I'll laugh.

But for now, I'll just laugh at the fact you're laughing at Democrats for the same bullshit you pull as a Nintendo fanboy.

Every time you bring up this bullshit about gays being deported blah blah, you just look like an idiot. You act as if John Kerry had differing views on gay marriage as well. Both he and Bush were for unions and against marriage. How is he ANY better in that case? Is it just because he isnt George Bush or is it because when we think of homosexuals, we think of extremely left-leaning Democrats, so John Kerry's viewpoint on the subject is somehow less harsh?

As for your second comment, it's total fallacy. I'm one of the very few Nintendo fans at this board who is completely and totally in acceptance of their fate and understands that they should be more concerned about staying alive as a company than making the GameCube more popular. This generation is over for them and has been for some time. Likewise, I'm not a fanboy. I love Nintendo, but I love video games as a whole -- why else would I spend so much time and money on them?

The Xbox has been my system of choice for well over a year and a half now and you'll find me commenting in more or less every major game that's been released for it since then because I play them all. I havent bought a new Cube game since Mario Kart basically (I will be getting Prime 2 on day 1 though), while I've picked up a solid 10 Xbox titles or so in that timespan at full price. The company for me will always be my preference because they got me into games. If I were a fanboy, as you apparently are for the Democratic party, I would completely oppose anyone who competed against them and would make it a point to constantly berate said other companies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
MetatronM said:
It's not like gay people just want to wear a ring or something. There are HUGE legal implications that come with being married or not for the individual.

Health care is the biggest issue imo. My ex-gf's company offered Health care for gay couples as well as traditional couples. Since Health Care is an issue for companys rather than the govt, what does 'marriage' really count for? Before this president, there was a tax penalty for being married.

He left it up to states, the majority doesn't want to promote gay marriages. I would be offended if I was gay, but considering how long the federal govt discriminated against traditional marriages, I can't really get that pissed.

I thanked gay couples for my medical care a few years ago when my ex-gf worked at Glaxo Smith Kline. Without them, I wouldn't have had anything. That has nothing to do with the federal govt though. Another reason I voted for Bush, the federal govt getting involved with healthcare will be just as bad or worse as when they got involved with public schools. Public schools were origionally for people who couldn't afford alternate schooling, but now is something much more. It's sad, and not a very effective program. Health care could be the same way.

snapty00

Banned
impirius said:
Nebraska and Maine. Colorado shot down an initiative about that this election, but I guess you saw that already. :)

Here's a question: What would the electoral votes look like if every state used the proportional system?
Just quickly looking at the bigger states (California, New York, Florida, etc.), I'm guessing that Bush's lead would actually be slightly larger than it is now, and Kerry would essentially have no chance whatsoever of winning.

Hahahahah.

Ed Bradley proved how it was impossible mathematically for John Kerry to win Ohio.
Dan Rarther's response:
We Shall see..

Leslie's reponse:
We're seeing election 2000 (Yeah right,...Kerry won the popular vote didn't he?)

Meier said:
Every time you bring up this bullshit about gays being deported blah blah, you just look like an idiot. You act as if John Kerry had differing views on gay marriage as well. Both he and Bush were for unions and against marriage. How is he ANY better in that case? Is it just because he isnt George Bush or is it because when we think of homosexuals, we think of extremely left-leaning Democrats, so John Kerry's viewpoint on the subject is somehow less harsh?

Kerry was one of a few who voted against DOMA. Also, he probably wouldn't have used the bully pulpit to promote an admendment against gay marriages.

Kettch

Both he and Bush were for unions and against marriage.

Bush is not for civil unions, he's for allowing states to decide on civil unions. We already went over that earlier in this thread.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
MetatronM said:
You do understand that marriage has HUGE legal importance on a person's life, right? You know, stuff like insurance costs, tax codes, and so on and so forth.

Any reason you didn't include adoption rights? I believe that many of the benefits given to married couples are based on the assumption that children will be raised in the future. If a gay couple has no intention of adopting children, I do not see a need for them to be married. You can say the same for straight couples, but it would be hard to go against tradition.

Seth C

impirius said:

If every state used a proportional system then why not just let the popular vote decide? Wait, wait, let me guess, it would suddenly be fair if the 51% of voters got to cast 2 votes but the 49% only got one in a state with 3 votes?

Hollywood

Banned
Dude there was a guy in here going off about 9.11 ... what the hell does that have to do with anything?

I'm all for political free speech, but something is wrong when 99.9% of every person going out and voting can only vote for guy number 1 or guy number 2. No one else on any independent platform has the same views as you? Wow what a coinscidence. I didn't know you could group the entire nation into a basic split of this or that. It's like if your a republican you agree with everything about Bush on down the line or a Democrat you agree with Kerry on down the line. At least thats how the votes ALWAYS go in congress. No one can think for themselves. And most of the nation can't either. Bush/Kerry is an idiot, i disagree with everything he says. Thats really funny when both agree on a lot of issues and people still completely hate one or the other. Makes a lot of sense.

DJ_Tet

Banned
impirius said:

Might as well use a popular vote if that was the case. Kerry wouldn't get 55 votes from California for one ;)

The electoral college is in place for a reason, that reason is that every state has different needs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
BruceWayne said:
Hahahahah.

Ed Bradley proved how it was impossible mathematically for John Kerry to win Ohio.
Dan Rarther's response:
We Shall see.
I didn't see this. What did he say? I'm just mainly curious what the numbers look like.

snapty00

Banned
BruceWayne said:
Hahahahah.

Dan Rarther's response:
We Shall see..
Geez. Did he really say that? :lol It really is basically impossible. With 99% of Ohio reporting, Bush has 51% and Kerry had 48%. Even if the last 1% were all for Kerry, he wouldn't win.

Matt

nathkenn said:
No, electors can vote for whoever they want. This whole vote thing we just went though really means nothing (other then the fact that if an elector really cast a vote that was not what the popular vote was, their career in politics would be over).

impirius

snapty00 said:
Just quickly looking at the bigger states (California, New York, Florida, etc.), I'm guessing that Bush's lead would actually be slightly larger than it is now, and Kerry would essentially have no chance whatsoever of winning.
It's especially interesting in Ohio, where there are just a few very heavily populated counties that voted for Kerry.

For the uninitiated: The proportional system is NOT mainly based on the overall votes in the state. The way the proportional system works in Maine and Nebraska is that each Congressional district gets one electoral vote, and the final two electoral votes are determined by the statewide winner. So in Ohio, for example, Bush would get a ton of the electoral votes from that big red area of the state.

Kettch

Geez. Did he really say that? It really is basically impossible. With 99% of Ohio reporting, Bush has 51% and Kerry had 48%. Even if the last 1% were all for Kerry, he wouldn't win.

I doubt that the provisional ballots are among the "100%", as they need to be verified before they can be counted. Unless you think 99% of the state's precincts had 0 provisional ballots cast.

DJ_Tet

Banned
CBS just said that if there was a tie in Ohio, the votes would go to a coin toss.

I'm staying on CBS the rest of the night, it's too good :) Thanks for the heads up GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom