• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sactown said:
Any reason you didn't include adoption rights? I believe that many of the benefits given to married couples are based on the assumption that children will be raised in the future. If a gay couple has no intention of adopting children, I do not see a need for them to be married. You can say the same for straight couples, but it would be hard to go against tradition.
Nope, no reason other than the fact that it's quarter to 4 in the morning and my brain is pretty fried after all this.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kettch said:
I doubt that the provisional ballots are among the "100%", as they need to be verified before they can be counted. Unless you think 99% of the state's precincts had 0 provisional ballots cast.
They're not among the 100%. They don't even know how many there are yet. That's what they figure out tomorrow according to Ken Blackwell (Ohio Sec. of State).

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
DJ_Tet said:
CBS just said that if there was a tie in Ohio, the votes would go to a coin toss.

I'm staying on CBS the rest of the night, it's too good :) Thanks for the heads up GAF.

i'd hate to be the guy tossing that coin

ElyrionX

U.S. presidents are elected to four-year terms by 538 Electoral College voters, one per senator and representative from each state, plus three from the District of Columbia. In 38 states, the voters are required by law to vote for the candidate who won the popular voter in their state, although all electors usually cast a ballot for the popular vote winner. A candidate must receive a majority of 270 votes to win the election.
Well, electors CANNOT vote for whichever candidate they want....

snapty00

Banned
Yeah, they're not among the 100%. My grandmother had to make a provisional vote, actually.

It seems like the differences in many states were big enough that those didn't even matter, though.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
soundwave05 said:
Yeah, a coin toss would be crazy.

They should at least play a game of one-on-one basketball or something for it.

that would be amazing, but what about a game of counterstrike on some kind of baghdad map

Shompola

Banned
snapty00 said:
Geez. Did he really say that? :lol It really is basically impossible. With 99% of Ohio reporting, Bush has 51% and Kerry had 48%. Even if the last 1% were all for Kerry, he wouldn't win.

There are upwards 600,000 provisionaly votes not counted. So in theory it isn't impossible at all.

Hollywood

Banned
The odds of a dead tie among over 4,000,000 people though?

The gap is so big now, the provisional votes even if every single one first counted, and then every single one went to Kerry he still wouldnt win. Jesus stop dragging it on .. its 4AM .. I wanna know who won and goto sleep.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I respect the decision of the american people, but I can't understand it. I think this will be a very sad day not only for the USA but for the whole world.

Meier

What's this I am hearing that the % of provisional votes accepted is generally less than 30% due to error, etc.? The Democrats need 200 of 250k to come close in Ohio as is but that isnt even accounting for the fact that likely only 50k of them will even be accepted. What a trip.

And uhh shompola, the near 600k number reported hours ago by CNN was remaining votes in general for the state and included votes that hadnt been reported yet (it was still at 92% precincts reporting then). The highest number we've heard is 250k for provisional votes from the leader of Kerry's campaign (and not categorically denied by the SOS of Ohio).

Kon Tiki

Banned
Shompola said:
There are upwards 600,000 provisionaly votes not counted. So in theory it isn't impossible at all.
600000? I heard from 175000 to 250000. Unles you are talking nationally.

Meier said:
What's this I am hearing that the % of provisional votes accepted is generally less than 30% due to error, etc.? The Democrats need 200 of 250k to come close in Ohio as is but that isnt even accounting for the fact that likely only 50k of them will even be accepted. What a trip.

Well I can see why you are a Republican, as you are grossly misinformed. In 2000 90% of provisional votes in Ohio were accepted.

Hollywood

Banned
Shompola said:

Jesus Christ where did you get 600,000? Even the Democrats didnt try spinning that number :lol. Even the democrats said its like 175,000. Damn man .. fuzzy math. :lol

Xenon

mark_cuban.gif

I propose a game of Jenga

Zaptruder

Banned
To the people apathetic about voting because it doesn't seem to make an effect (which choice is taken)...

can I borrow your machine that lets you travel to alternate universes and timeline?

impirius

snapty: Election night is Rather's time to shine, man!

CBS reports that the White House says that Bush will declare victory soon with or without a Kerry concession.
(EDIT: Now saying that nothing will happen before 10 AM tomorrow.)

If anyone comes across something that says what the election would look like with a proportional system, please post it in here. I'm sure it's not what most people would think!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Society said:
600000? I heard from 175000 to 250000. Unles you are talking nationally.

Well I can see why you are a Republican, as you are grossly mis informed. In 2000 90% of provisional votes in Ohio were accepted.
I've heard all three numbers on TV. It seems like they're treating 600,000 as an absolute maximum, but the expected number will be somewhere in the 200,000-250,000. And with those numbers, it is mathematically possible for Kerry to win. It's just not very realistic.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If I understood this correctly, they count each state with a number of electoral votes that is representative for the number of people living there, right? But why not count all the votes all over the country and add them together instead of using representative numbers like that? Wouldn't that make it more fair?

I mean, let's say there are two states with the same amount of electoral votes. In one state candidate A wins with 80-20, and in the other candidate B wins with 51-49. Is it really fair to give them the same weight?
I'm just wondering, what is the point with this system? The advantages?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kiriku said:
If I understood this correctly, they count each state with a number of electoral votes that is representative for the number of people living there, right? But why not count all the votes all over the country and add them together instead of using representative numbers like that? Wouldn't that make it more fair?

The popular vote?

Meier

Society said:
Well I can see why you are a Republican, as you are grossly misinformed. In 2000 90% of provisional votes in Ohio were accepted.

I'm just going by the number a friend of mine (Democrat) said Ed Gillespie reported on one of the news channels (he apparently said 5-27%), hence my asking about it. His numbers might be on a national level though. Regardless of that fact however, it's painfully obvious the Dems have NO CHANCE at all, but are too proud or perhaps too embarassed to concede defeat even if its as clear as day.

Hollywood

Banned
Dude the secretary of state in ohio said its around 175,000. DAMNIT STOP FIGHTING IT!

SLEEEEEPPP.

Has Ralph Nader conceded yet?

Gantz

Banned
We won't know the final results for another 2-weeks. Until the electoral college is abolished, your vote never counted.

snapty00

Banned
Hollywood said:
Dude the secretary of state in ohio said its around 175,000. DAMNIT STOP FIGHTING IT!

SLEEEEEPPP.

Has Ralph Nader conceded yet?
Given his popularity, he'll probably just send his concession through his Yahoo fan mailing list. :p

"yeah guyz, i lost. sry. plz dont be mad

rnader"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kiriku said:

I mean, let's say there are two states with the same amount of electoral votes. In one state candidate A wins with 80-20, and in the other candidate B wins with 51-49. Is it really fair to give them the same weight?
I'm just wondering, what is the point with this system? The advantages?
It's to prevent the voice of smaller states from getting washed out by the more massive votes of the large states. It's sort of a compromise between giving weight to population and making sure every state feels like it has a say.

has turned into its own civil war. Really. I can't wait to see the news tomorrow and see how local people are pissed off.

We should make 3 countries(cal, ore, wash)(upper blue)(everything else).

let's do this peacefully. I don't wanna kill someone.

impirius

Hollywood said:
Shit maybe I'm hallucinating ... but Dan Rather just said Bush just broke the all time record for votes in US History.
You're not hallucinating, but that was like 15 minutes ago, so something strange might still be up. :D

Tenguman

The spread just got bigger in ohio
George W. Bush (i) Rep 2,771,814 - 51 percent
John F. Kerry Dem 2,624,201 - 48 percent

~148,000 in favor for Bush, up from ~144,000

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
How can a man who can barely construct a concise sentence become president of the United States?

I am form Australian but I have an extreme interest in politics, I do several units at University as electives with my degree. I just can not believe that people feel safe under a Bush government.

To be honest Gorge Bush is the cause of a hell of a lot of the world’s problems today, the neglect to address the Israeli and Palestine issue’s mean’s that we are further away from peace then ever before.

The unilateral action taken against Iraq and Afghanistan has done nothing but create resentment towards the USA. Children have lost there mothers and fathers do you think they will forget who was responsible for these atrocities in ten years time? I think not!

The US economy is also doing poorly, can someone please tell me what the bush government did right during it’s first term?

ourumov

Funky Papa said:
I respect the decision of the american people, but I can't understand it. I think this will be a very sad day not only for the USA but for the whole world.
Like with Kerry would have been different...
Both Kerry and Bush want the best for their country and it's a natural reaction. PERIOD. Unless Kerry cared more about the whole world than his own home, things would be exactly the same.
When Spain left Iraq I knew we were gonna pay for it. For us the only difference is that Bush will be more hard than Kerry at making us pay for the betrayal. I see Ford and GM leaving Spain soon...

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
i'd be happy to give it to bush if i didnt know so many people who were screwed out of voting and falsely registered or never sent absentee ballots....

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Which network will have the balls to actually call this election? Half of them are calling Nevada for Bush, the other half are calling Ohio for him, but no network will call both. Bush has won. Rather just has to suck it up and accept it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hollywood said:
Shit maybe I'm hallucinating ... but Dan Rather just said Bush just broke the all time record for votes in US History.
It's true. Remember, the US population is larger than ever before, and the voter turnout was pretty massive.

It is NOT the largest margin of victory ever or anything (it is, after all, only a 3% pop vote win), but it is the largest number of votes ever recorded by a single candidate.

It is also the first time a candidate has collected a true majority of 50% or more of the popular vote since 1988 when Bush I won with 53% of the vote.

snapty00

Banned
ourumov said:
Like with Kerry would have been different...
Both Kerry and Bush want the best for their country and it's a natural reaction. PERIOD. Unless Kerry cared more about the whole world than his own home, things would be exactly the same.
Pretty much. I don't think either one is out to screw any other country, but I certainly do think they're going to put the U.S. first, seeing as how they were elected by the American people, not foreigners.

Xenon

LOL Kerry said,way before the election results came in, that he hopes that there would be no challenges.

I wonder if he is going to .....

Flip,Flop

The youth vote could've helped Kerry, but there's too much damn apathy with that crowd.

I hope Bush does reinstitute the draft, just to give some of these kids a kick in the ass.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I see Ford and GM leaving Spain soon...

You can’t be serious, because that one of the stupidest things I have ever seen on these message boards.

Is Microsoft going to pull out?

How about a total trade embargo on Spain?

Tenguman

soundwave05 said:
The youth vote could've helped Kerry, but there's too much damn apathy with that crowd.

I'm sure at least 20% was going to vote Kerry but forgot to register

WHAT? WE HAVE TO REGISTER?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom