• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterion

DrM said:
RC screwed this up, they lost Vettel, waited almost 2 minutes for SC deployment and then strange stuff happened.

Also, Ferrari is the last team to speak about so called 'fair play' or 'obeying the rules'.
The first SC had issues, so they took the reserve car. More bad publicity for merc.

Lince

Banned
Pterion said:
Alonso being overdramatic post-race is hardly news.

Hamilton breaking the rules and getting away with it isn't news either, sadly. Only British fans the likes of you cannot see how the rule breaker was the one who benefited from the situation, I'm not blaming Lewis, he's just the cheater here, I'm blaming Charlie for waiting until Lewis had built enough gap so the penalty wouldn't affect him at all, shame on British Race Control.

for next race let's all overtake the SC !

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Pterion said:
Cry baby of the race. :lol

Oh, and yet another race and Hamilton still beats Button. Pattern confirmed.

What? The fact that they have different driving skills? Shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. :p

Love Alonso on the radio: "That's not fair, that's not fair!". :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
curls said:
What? The fact that they have different driving skills? Shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. :p

Love Alonso on the radio: "That's not fair, that's not fair!". :lol
He probably told the same thing after Kobayashi got him.... Or maybe he asked if he is under penalty.

Also, so many teams are under investigation, so it could happen, that there wont be any penalty.

Pterion

megateto said:
Drivers, if you have a crazy opinion, keep your mouths shut.
fixed

Unless you do believe the race was deliberately manipulated. If I were Alonso, I wouldn't complain too much about rigged races...

Anyway, sucks for the tinfoil hat(e) brigade, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the race. In pseudo pimpwerx style, PEACE. :D

Indyana

44Fv4.jpg

¡Well done Charlie! It was really close and you only needed 20 laps to see it. :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Pterion said:
the site is acting up again...
Well, Germany killed England and GAF :lol

Time summary:
Lap 10 - Hamilton overtake SC
Lap 16/17 - Alonso calls pitwall
Lap 21 - Investigation starts
Lap 25 - Penalty is given

Goldrusher

Looks like McKenzie was wrong.

Nine drivers given five-second penalties

Sunday, June 27th 2010, 16:33 GMT

The FIA has handed five-second penalties to nine Formula 1 drivers for a safety car rules breach during the European Grand Prix.

Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Hulkenberg, Robert Kubica, Vitaly Petrov, Adrian Sutil, Sebastien Buemi, Pedro de la Rosa and Vitantonio Liuzzi have been penalised after the race for exceeding the safety car-in lap time.

The penalties mean Fernando Alonso is elevated from ninth to eighth, as he overtakes Buemi, and Nico Rosberg gets the final point from de la Rosa, 10th in the race.

The rest of the point-scoring positions remain unchanged.

The stewards also announced a 20-second penalty for Virgin's Timo Glock for ignoring blue flags.

Code:
Updated results and standings:

Classified:

Pos  Driver        Team
 1.  Vettel        Red Bull-Renault
 2.  Hamilton      McLaren-Mercedes
 3.  Button        McLaren-Mercedes
 4.  Barrichello   Williams-Cosworth
 5.  Kubica        Renault
 6.  Sutil         Force India-Mercedes
 7.  Kobayashi     Sauber-Ferrari
 8.  Alonso        Ferrari
 9.  Buemi         Toro Rosso-Ferrari
10.  Rosberg       Mercedes
11.  Massa         Ferrari
12.  De la Rosa    Sauber-Ferrari
13.  Alguersuari   Toro Rosso-Ferrari
14.  Petrov        Renault
15.  Schumacher    Mercedes
16.  Liuzzi        Force India-Mercedes
17.  Di Grassi     Virgin-Cosworth
18.  Chandhok      HRT-Cosworth
19.  Glock         Virgin-Cosworth
20.  Senna         HRT-Cosworth
21.  Trulli        Lotus-Cosworth

World Championship standings, round 9:

Drivers:                    Constructors:
 1.  Hamilton     127        1.  McLaren-Mercedes          248
 2.  Button       121        2.  Red Bull-Renault          218
 3.  Vettel       115        3.  Ferrari                   165
 4.  Webber       103        4.  Mercedes                  109
 5.  Alonso        98        5.  Renault                    89
 6.  Kubica        83        6.  Force India-Mercedes       43
 7.  Rosberg       75        7.  Williams-Cosworth          20
 8.  Massa         67        8.  Toro Rosso-Ferrari         10
 9.  Schumacher    34        9.  Sauber-Ferrari              7
10.  Sutil         31
11.  Barrichello   19
12.  Liuzzi        12
13.  Buemi          9
14.  Kobayashi      7
15.  Petrov         6
16.  Alguersuari    3
17.  Hulkenberg     1
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84857

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Somewhere in Maranello, several TV sets flew out of Luca di Montezemollo villa

Ferrari and Alonso should blame Race Control and FIA instead of Mclaren and Hamilton.

only a 5 sec penalty is hilarious. give a full drivethrough 20 secs ffs. SUPERKK SCREWED from getting points he deserved

also ham cheating. nothing new there. he probably would have completely gotten away with it, like he usually does, if alonso/ferrari hadn't radio'ed it in. they were clearly not planning on showing that footage. worked out really well for ham going for the cheat he would have been sitting in the queue with alonso otherwise, loved his amnesia after the race. what a douche

megateto

DrM said:
Somewhere in Maranello, several TV sets flew out of Luca di Montezemollo villa

Ferrari and Alonso should blame Race Control and FIA instead of Mclaren and Hamilton.

And that's just what they have done.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Only 5 seconds penalty each for the drivers implicated in the SC incident? Has anyone told Alonso yet? :lol :lol

At least Hamilton got a semi decent penalty for his offence, the fact is that these other guys speeding into the pits cost Alonso just as much as Hamilton did yet they are the ones who basically got away with it. For once the FIA have been a bit too lenient, or more to the point, inconsistent.

Ah well, onto Silverstone, Alonso may want a cold shower or two before then, just in case he explodes with rage upon hearing this news.

Fuck up by the FIA. 5 seconds shakes things up a little little little bit

I thought they enforced the rules well but didn't execute them. Still stupid that they use rotating former drivers to make decisions. They should just give it to them as a full time gig so there's consistency.

I was hoping for a Ferrari win but oh well on to Silverstone.

Awful start by Webber and lucky to be unharmed. Hate to pile on him but my biggest concern about Vettel and Webber coming into the season(with the great car they have) is that both of them are very inconsistent. There are times when Vettel will be tearing it up for a few races and Webber will disappear(earlier this year) and then the roles get reversed(Webber recently).

Get out of that fucking track. great views but its garbage.

Sloane

Banned
megateto said:
Drivers, if you have an opinion, keep your mouths shut.
Why? The race wasn't "manipulated" but he is right that Hamilton would have been 8th, if he hadn't overtaken the SC. Instead, he got a late penalty that let him stay 2nd. Understandable that he's angry, no?

dalin80

Banned
the only thing hamilton did wrong was hesitating, if he had kept his foot down and overtook half a second sooner it wouldnt have been a issue, hardly cheat of the decade as made out by some.

megateto

Sloane said:
Why? The race wasn't "manipulated" but he is right that Hamilton would have been 8th, if he hadn't overtaken the SC. Instead, he got a late penalty that let him stay 2nd. Understandable that he's angry, no?

I was only trying to be sarcastic XD.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Joseph Merrick said:
the only thing ham did wrong was cheat, no big deal
Yeah, and he was punished.

I would like to see what would happened if Alonso did this :lol

But it is fun to read forums, where rabid Alonso fans want to crucify Hamilton.

Also, for some :lol , found this on James Allen blog
- Webber scientifically proved Red Bull does gives you wings, after Vettel failed to prove it in Turkey.

- BBC commentators demand that drivers let their close friend Webber pass, even when they are in position to defend. Webber can never be blamed for his mistakes and bad judgement and the cars in front of him should dissolve into thin air.

- Spanish fans trying to sabotage the race by throwing a bottle on the track failed when Raikkonen dressed as a marshall made a sprint for it and collected it…ran all the way to that penthouse swimming pool we’ve seen 34 times during the race, to chill in it with the bikini girls while drinking the rather dull Spanish beer in the bottle.

- Alonso caused laughter when stating ‘howwhat? ahemmeltun steel sekondah afta pinaltee???? nawt fairuh!!!’.

- Kobayashi makes Button remember Brasil 2009, showing he can still do it with a slower car with even a lack of colors.

- Backmarkers decided when getting lapped, the right way to do it is to race like it is your last race, drive the one in front of you off the track to make it easier for the frontrunners to lap the cars.

- Frentzen wanted to break the record of how many cars at once one can penalize after the race, wanting to enable Schumacher to get the 3rd position.

- Spanish director of the broadcast did not replay the humiliating and awesome move in front of the Spanish audience by Kobayashi on Alonso anymore. He did replay Kobayashi’s brilliant last corner move on Buemi and made sure Alonso wasn’t in the shot, way in the back sulking.

- Kobayashi is just an amazing driver. Give him the tools to show it.

- Vettel seems a bit deaf when talking to other drivers, everytime another driver says something to him he says, ‘heeeh?’"

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
dalin80 said:
the only thing hamilton did wrong was hesitating, if he had kept his foot down and overtook half a second sooner it wouldnt have been a issue, hardly cheat of the decade as made out by some.

I agree with this. The accusation that he slowed down to stop Alonso following him around the SC is crazy.
The only reason it has created controversy with Ferrari is that he didn't lose 2nd due to slow pace of Kobayashi at that time in the race.
He was investigated by the FIA on lap 20 and served penalty on lap 26, after receiving it on lap 24.

Kobayashi is my driver of the day. Fantastic drove, showed great pace once he settled into 3rd and then with 2 smart overtakes on fresh tyres by out-braking his 2 opponents.

Jeseus

hamilton cheated?? are you crazy people...

ferrari tested the new version of car and called it promotional event - that is cheating

S. L.

[racemanager]
the webber crash hurt me badly
but the great performances by Kobayashi and Buemi made a little bit up for it so i'm walking with 1012 points out of the weekend

which also means that i didn't make up any points on Pimpwerx :(
[/racemanger]

navanman

S. L. said:
[racemanager]
the webber crash hurt me badly
but the great performances by Kobayashi and Buemi made a little bit up for it so i'm walking with 1012 points out of the weekend

which also means that i didn't make up any points on Pimpwerx :(
[/racemanger]

You calculated your own points? The site is still under maintenance waiting updating.

I got fucked on my bets though!

tirant

Jeseus said:
hamilton cheated?? are you crazy people...

ferrari tested the new version of car and called it promotional event - that is cheating

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

notsureifserious.jpg

S. L.

navanman said:
You calculated your own points? The site is still under maintenance waiting updating.

heh, i made an excel sheet where i just enter the result positions
getting fucked on bets is better than forgetting to bet >_<

edit: wait, i think pipmwerx had a mcl/rbr split team... maybe i made up a few points

operon

navanman said:

So did I, read to much in to Ferrari doing well here, so had Alonso down for pole and first.

My 2 cents is that hamilton didn't cheat, simple mistake. Race control made the fuckup how long does it take to work out a decision and a 5 second penalty is a joke.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Jinjo said:
Another unwatched race, but this time no McLaren 1-2, but a 2-3? I'll take it. :lol
Do not watch Silverstone :lol

Also, Ferrari updates failed to work in the race.... ray of hope on supersofts, but on medium tyre they were unable to get around Toro Rossos or Force Indias.

I will probably miss Silverstone due to sea holiday, but it will be very interesting to see, how will Mclaren big upgrade (blown diffusor, new frontwing) work.

Jinjo

DrM said:
Do not watch Silverstone :lol

Also, Ferrari updates failed to work in the race.... ray of hope on supersofts, but on medium tyre they were unable to get around Toro Rossos or Force Indias.

I will probably miss Silverstone due to sea holiday, but it will be very interesting to see, how will Mclaren big upgrade (blown diffusor, new frontwing) work.

Silverstone is in two weeks right? If so, there's a pretty big event here in town and I have to work that day. Depending on when I need to start work that day you might be in luck (and McLaren too). :lol

This is getting ridiculous though. I actually came home and my dad (mistakingly) said Hamilton won, so I asked who was second but he didn't know. So I was already like: No...this is impossible. Well, I guess it wasn't by much. :lol

Edit: Holy fuck! @ Webber crash. That was immense.

Pimpwerx

Sloane said:
No. His job is to drive his car, not Lewis'. Lewis was already ahead of him on the road, so it's not like he lost a place to Lewis. Maybe he should be mad at the myriad of cars that ended up between him and Lewis after pitting. Hell. He should be mad he couldn't pass Buemi, but Kobayashi got them both. I guess the FIA helped him with his best overtaking maneuver of the season, the whinger. :lol PEACE.

Goldrusher

S. L. said:
heh, i made an excel sheet where i just enter the result positions
getting fucked on bets is better than forgetting to bet >_<
Care to share that Excel file ? Put it on MegaUpload or something.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DrM said:
Best part of the race, some hot ladies in RBR pool :D

Also, this is just in:

That shot panned across there were about 20 ladies in there. And 2 reporters with giant cameras.

That said, interesting race. I guess they could not give big penalties to the other drivers as they would have been out of line with Hamilton's.

Also from the in car view, you can see the safety car on the right, then as he accelerates it dissappears to his side so maybe he thought the car was slowing to let him by? I know its clear from overhead, but from inside the car at his head level its not so clear.

Alonso was right to say something, but he really should have fought harder. Even 2-3 seconds would have given him a couple of spots higher. He sort of seemed complacent for a long time until Kobayashi was on his ass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
megateto said:
It's a shame they took sooo long to make the move, and the fact that it was Nando (or at least it seems that was the way it all went) who made the call makes things even worse: Nando was less than a second behind Hammy, Nando ended up ninth, Hammy is still second. You can't deny that it's pretty unfair.
Oh, and let's not forget how everybody was wondering what had happened and the FIA took a really long time to show some footage of the whole thing.

There is a line. Hamilton could have crossed that line just before the SC, and Alsono still get shafted. Its just the luck of the draw.

SC rules just seem overcomplicated. You have a special SC line coming out of the pits, another one going into the pits for where you can overtake (why not just use the start/finish line?).

As for the completely random lottery of diving into the pits if you're lucky enough to not be stuck behind the SC, and manage to get out before the lights block you, thats bollocks too.

When they announce a SC they should immediately close the pitlane and forbid overtaking. That'd stop the drivers dashing to the pits driving too fast which is completely the opposite of what the SC is designed for. Then, once everyone is behind the SC, they can open the pitlane.

navanman

Grandprix.com have an article on the Alonso-Hamilton spat from today:
There was no problem with the timing of the Safety Car deployment or the fact that it did not pick up race leader Vettel – it can be called for at any time -- and in that respect, Ferrari was merely unfortunate. Race director Whiting had actually called for the Safety Car as soon as Webber was airborne and before his car had actually come to a stop. Anticipating a serious situation, he wanted the medical car to get to the scene of the accident without having to worry about race cars going past it, which is why, with Vettel and Hamilton already gone, the Safety Car did not wave the rest of the field past until it was through Turn 13.

The delay in penalising Hamilton was because Whiting and the stewards wanted to be absolutely sure that a penalty was justified. Hamilton at first seemed to slow down when he saw the Safety Car out of the corner of his eye, then realised that the Safety Car line was further up the road and carried on. Whether he got there before the Safety Car or not, was a close call.

Proving it was no simple matter. Race control has the use of a GPS system but there was no back-up timing loop at that point and so they had to find footage of the incident. That was initially from the wrong angle and was inconclusive and so they had to locate aerial footage. There was also the question of exactly where the timing transponders were on Hamilton's car and the Safety Car respectively which, if you are talking about less than a car's length, is significant. That all needed to be checked and speeds/distances ratified.

There was also criticism that by the time it became clear to race control that a penalty for Hamilton was appropriate it should also have been clear to them that a mere Drive Through would have no impact on his finishing position and that perhaps a Stop-Go penalty would have been more appropriate.

Against that though, the governing body follows precedent instead of making subjective decisions and leaving itself open to accusations of inconsistency. Ironically, the most recent precedent was the Drive Through penalty given to Webber on the occasion of his first F1 win at Nurburgring last year, which he was able to serve without losing his lead.

The FIA also pointed out that the speeding penalties for cars during their pit stop laps under the Safety Car were relatively lenient because many of them were doing 180mph plus within a couple of hundred metres of the Safety Car line when the car was deployed and could do little about it. They may have broken the letter of the law but not its spirit. The conclusion has to be that on this occasion Hamilton was fortunate and Ferrari the opposite.

Grandprix.com

Alonso needs to drop the public hate campaign against Hamilton. Its beginning to effect his actual racing now and he looks like an whining idiot.

Chris R

Best race yet at that horrible track. Of course Kobiyashi has a kick ass drive after I dump him on my fantasy team (I think I did at least). Seriously, I know he was on fresh tires, but still what a drive on that track seeing as how hard passing is. Penalties were fair I believe for the most part (didn't see everything related to that yet so I might change my mind), would have been better if everyone had to do a drive through just like Lewis did.

Can't wait for the race in two weeks though.

mrklaw said:
When they announce a SC they should immediately close the pitlane and forbid overtaking. That'd stop the drivers dashing to the pits driving too fast which is completely the opposite of what the SC is designed for. Then, once everyone is behind the SC, they can open the pitlane.
I don't know why this isn't the case. Since fuel isn't an issue now there shouldn't be any reason to need to get into the pits before a set period of time. Sure it sucks ass if your team is running 1-2 and the 2nd car is held up waiting to pit, but whatever.

Kobiyashi was stunning.

Webber's crash was frightening. I got chills the moment he was up in the air. Not sure how I feel about the debate that Eddie and David had about who was to blame, but I'm happy they were both okay. I don't know how they made that car so safe but good on them.

Boring track overall. Drop it. A few great moments saved the race.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think some of you aren't realizing that Alonso is so miffed about Lewis not because he hates Lewis, but because Lewis is a title contender, and and a title contender getting so fortunate after breaking the rules while he gets screwed for doing the right thing must be absolutely infuriating. I cant imagine how much that must piss Alonso off when he's working so hard to do what he can with the Ferrari against these Mclarens and Red Bulls.

His bit about the manipulating the race was uncalled for, though, but I'm sure it was just Alonso speaking without thinking, as can happen when you're mad(see Lewis and his comments about his team this season when they've made bad calls).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom