• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
rhfb said:
I don't know why this isn't the case. Since fuel isn't an issue now there shouldn't be any reason to need to get into the pits before a set period of time. Sure it sucks ass if your team is running 1-2 and the 2nd car is held up waiting to pit, but whatever.

It changed to allow pitting because someone ran out of gas behind the SC a few years back. So now i think its a leftover thing since fuel is not an issue.

Chris R

AndyD said:
It changed to allow pitting because someone ran out of gas behind the SC a few years back. So now i think its a leftover thing since fuel is not an issue.
Ya I know it was changed due to people running out of fuel while waiting for the pits to open. Change it back while fueling isn't an issue. If you do pit due to a puncture, ect, you just get a penalty to go to the back of that lap after everyone else has pitted.

Just watched the race and holy SHIT at Webber's incident. He has a knack for making cars fly.

Seriously though, when he slammed the barrier and bounced off, my heart was in my throat when his head was slumped in the cockpit. It was only for a split second, but I've never been so relieved to see a driver throw the steering wheel out in anger. Damn.

Hamilton's hesitation about the safety car and the punishment incurred easily cost him the race. Alonso can be mad all he wants. Lewis was given a drive through, he served it, and he rejoined in the same position. Can't blame Hamilton for Kobayashi keeping the rest of the pack held up long enough for that to happen.

Speaking of Kobayashi--hot damn. I mentioned to my girlfriend that I hoped Kobayashi would exit the pits in a good position to battle a bit before the end of the race, because he's been so unfortunate this year as to have no real chances to show off his racing talent the way he did so beautifully at the end of 2009. Granted, he had fresh tires as opposed to those he passed, but his overtakes were just fucking perfect. Aggressive attacks for well-deserved points... amazing driving from him. Really makes me wish Sauber had a more competitive car.

Salacious Crumb

Funky Functionality said:
Hamilton's hesitation about the safety car and the punishment incurred easily cost him the race.

Disagree. as great a driver as Hamilton is, he was never getting past Vettel, not on that track. That penalty cost him nothing.

Dead Man

Seanspeed said:
I think some of you aren't realizing that Alonso is so miffed about Lewis not because he hates Lewis, but because Lewis is a title contender, and and a title contender getting so fortunate after breaking the rules while he gets screwed for doing the right thing must be absolutely infuriating. I cant imagine how much that must piss Alonso off when he's working so hard to do what he can with the Ferrari against these Mclarens and Red Bulls.

His bit about the manipulating the race was uncalled for, though, but I'm sure it was just Alonso speaking without thinking, as can happen when you're mad(see Lewis and his comments about his team this season when they've made bad calls).
Excellent post.
Salacious Crumb said:
Disagree. as great a driver as Hamilton is, he was never getting past Vettel, not on that track. That penalty cost him nothing.
Agreed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seanspeed said:
I think some of you aren't realizing that Alonso is so miffed about Lewis not because he hates Lewis, but because Lewis is a title contender, and and a title contender getting so fortunate after breaking the rules while he gets screwed for doing the right thing must be absolutely infuriating. I cant imagine how much that must piss Alonso off when he's working so hard to do what he can with the Ferrari against these Mclarens and Red Bulls.

His bit about the manipulating the race was uncalled for, though, but I'm sure it was just Alonso speaking without thinking, as can happen when you're mad(see Lewis and his comments about his team this season when they've made bad calls).

I'm surprised to see Alonso so high up the drivers championships. I hadn't factored Ferrari in at all, they are having such a middling season. Is it Alonso being a good driver, or also the drivers at the front swapping wins, thereby letting others catch them up?

jey_16

Banned
Seanspeed said:

indeed....who wouldnt be angry? he is right behind Hamilton and sees him overtake the safety car yet the penalty bascially does nothing to Hamilton's race. Its all over now anyway so i hope the team can regroup, I think the Ferrari had decent pace considering Alonso set the fastest lap just before the safety car and the track is not conducive to overtaking unless you have a substantial grip advantage....Button could not even get close to Koboyashi

and how many times has Hamilton been complaining on the radio this season? obviously these guys can get quite heated so i have no problem with him complaining. Anyway, at least England got thumped by Germany and the US got eliminated in the world cup.....thats some redemption for my sporting soul :lol

S. L.

i thought Hamilton knew very well that he had to get past the Safety Car before it crossed the line but he cheekily slowed down to make sure that Alonso wouldn't have a chance to get past as well. But it backfired a bit as he slowed down a bit too much, even thou in the end it worked out as planned.

ALSO FUCKING F1RACEMANAGER UPDATE YOUR SITE ALREADY! I WANNA SEE IF I OVERTOOK SOMEBODY IN THE RANKING!!!!!1

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Rivals teams have rubbished suggestions from Fernando Alonso that the European Grand Prix result was 'manipulated' by the FIA - and believe the matter was down to simple bad luck.

Although Alonso and Ferrari are angry that delays in punishing Lewis Hamilton for overtaking the safety car meant he did not lose a position for the offence, other teams do not agree that there was anything wrong in the way the FIA acted.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner thinks that although the events of Valencia have highlighted some areas where the safety car rules can be improved, he does not think anything nefarious went on.

"I don't think so," he said when asked about Alonso's 'manipulated' comments. "I think the safety car rules have not played out for Ferrari, and McLaren was perhaps a bit naughty with the way it worked it, but it got a penalty for that.

"Arguably it didn't cost them, but that's just the way it worked out. I don't think it was manipulated. The FIA just need to look at the safety car rules in the future."

Lotus technical chief Mike Gascoyne added: "I think since we started changing the safety car rules, every time you change something you get all these scenarios thrown up, and I think it is just that.

"Charlie [Whiting, FIA race director] is trying to do the job as he sees it, calls it as he sees it, and he has as difficult a job as everyone. I think it is just one of those things."

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said he did not understand why Alonso was so angry – because Hamilton was punished for his mistake after the FIA went through its normal processes.

"Look at the incident itself – it was very, very difficult to avoid what had happened and it was minuscule," said Whitmarsh.

"The matter always goes to the stewards. They made a decision. That is pretty normal in my experience of motor racing, but Fernando may have a different set of experiences."

Alonso, however, remains furious about what had happened – as he saw his chances of a podium finish wrecked by the safety car.

"I don't know what the penalty should be," he said about Hamilton's drive-through. "On the lap of the safety car I was one metre behind Hamilton.

"He finished second, I finished eighth. I respected the rules and he didn't. That is my opinion. It is the first time I have seen someone overtake a safety car."
Autosport

S. L.

fuck yeah!
Pimpwerx you are next! :D
captureb35i.png

navanman

F1racemanager website is still as slow as shite but I eventually got onto it, to see my team and I should be able to make a great team change next week if I get the bonus question correct.

Pimpwerx

S. L. said:
fuck yeah!
Pimpwerx you are next! :D
So much for "the strongest driver lineup" yesterday. :lol Amazing point haul, considering you only had one car finish. I'm not sure how much longer I'm sticking with Petrov. I kept him because the commission fee made no sense with so little return. But if doofus continues to put that Renault out of the points, then he's dead to me. I'd keep Hulk too, but that Williams is cursed. Oh well. Pretty sure I'm going Mac/Mac on hardware next race. :D PEACE.

Salacious Crumb said:
Nah. Hamilton would've pushed Vettel to hell and back... Vettel is an amazing driver, yes, but he tends to crack when he's really under pressure. Sure, Button couldn't make it around Kobayashi, but I believe Hamilton would've had a hell of a fight with Vettel and more than likely would've come out on top. Valencia isn't at all a good track for overtaking, but we've all seen Hamilton get an inch and take a mile.

If nothing else, his hesitation cost us a chance to see that battle really unfold.

S. L.

we really need to step up our subleague game. AtlasF1 is closing in rapidly!
their top 6 average last race was higher than our top score :O

navanman

Joba62x said:
Was there a red button post race forum yesterday? I can't find it.

There was a power cut in the press area just when the forum was due to take place so it never went on air. They said they recorded it and I will be on the iPlayer.

Joba62x

Neo Member
navanman said:
There was a power cut in the press area just when the forum was due to take place so it never went on air. They said they recorded it and I will be on the iPlayer.

Ah, I thought they might have figured everyone was watching world cup so why bother:D

I grabbed a proxy and looked for it but could only find the highlights and not the full forum, I'll keep watching my usual place and hope it turns up.

Leunam

Damn, dropped Kobayashi for Petrov and then Koba pulls shit like this? You bastard.

Enjoyed the race, surprisingly enough. Good on Kobayashi for his best finish of the season. I feel bad for Webber, but at least he wasn't seriously injured. He'll bring it at Silverstone for sure.

Dead Man

S. L. said:
we really need to step up our subleague game. AtlasF1 is closing in rapidly!
their top 6 average last race was higher than our top score :O
If Hulk would get the car to the damn finish line, we would be fine!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RBR should be force to beat in Silverstone. On old track config, dunno about this new one.
All will depend on the weather and on Mclaren B-spec configuration.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
F1racemanager - keep RBR/RBR and spend money on moving my drivers up, or move to a RBR/MCL split first?

drivers is depressing, whoever I can afford right now isn't a great improvement on the bottom patch. it'll take a while to even afford midfiielders.

Dead Man

Just for those calling the FIA a Ferrari love fest :D

http://planetf1.com/news/18227/6236857/Ferrari-outburst-angers-FIA-officials-

Ferrari's may yet find themselves in hot water with the FIA following their extraordinary outburst after the European Grand Prix.

Fernando Alonso and the rest of his team are seething after Lewis Hamilton managed to finish second in Valencia despite being receiving a drive-through penalty for passing the Safety Car. The Italian marque feel the punishment did not fit the crime as it didn't affect the McLaren driver's position.

Alonso claimed it was a "manipulated race" while Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo says the team "paid a price that was too high for respecting the rules"

Initial reports suggested that the FIA was unlikely to punish Alonso or Ferrari for questioning the integrity of race director Charlie Whiting and his stewards.

However, the Guardian says the comments from the Scuderia have not gone down well with motor sport's governing body.

According to the paper, 'Ferrari could face action from the FIA following their claims'.

The report adds: 'A number of officials from the sport's governing body are known to be angered by the Scuderia's intemperate response after the penalty drive-through awarded against Lewis Hamilton for overtaking the safety car did not prevent the British driver from finishing second in Spain and doubling his lead in the title race to six points.'

mclem

I agree, it's terrible when a technicality over how a penalty for an infringement is carried out means that the person penalised isn't, well, penalised.

A bit like the British Grand Prix in 1998. Hey, Luca! There's a good other example you could use of how a situation not a *million* miles away from this, of someone not taking a proper punishment for an infringement!

mclem said:
I agree, it's terrible when a technicality over how a penalty for an infringement is carried out means that the person penalised isn't, well, penalised.

He was penalized. He went from 2 seconds behind Vettel to 15 seconds behind Vettel. No one is at fault for Kobayashi holding up the rest of the pack so much as to keep Hamilton from actually losing a position... might as well penalize Tilke for designing a circuit where overtaking is so difficult... sheesh.

Dead Man

Funky Functionality said:
He was penalized. He went from 2 seconds behind Vettel to 15 seconds behind Vettel. No one is at fault for Kobayashi holding up the rest of the pack so much as to keep Hamilton from actually losing a position... might as well penalize Tilke for designing a circuit where overtaking is so difficult... sheesh.
Best idea I've heard in ages.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mclem said:

A bit like the British Grand Prix in 1998. Hey, Luca! There's a good other example you could use of how a situation not a *million* miles away from this, of someone not taking a proper punishment for an infringement!

I think you mean them taking the punishment, just the wrong punishment being given.

I think its a big difference as the blame is shifted from the driver who served his given penalty to the FIA and stewards who gave that possibly inappropriate/insufficient penalty.

I think stuff like this needs to be more standardized . Otherwise the stewards here did the right thing. They gave the same penalty now as in the past for the same infraction.

I dont think its right for them to think "well he is in 2nd now and should be in 8th, and that's 33 seconds, so we need to give a stop and go of 8 seconds because that would be roughly correct". That would be too subjective and liable for fraud and undue influence.

They need to have a rough table: passing another car under SC - drive through. passing the SC - stop and go 10 seconds. pitting under SC at unallowed time - drive through and so forth with a long list of infractions.

Sure the problem with that is that the teams can weigh the penalty vs the gain and choose the penalty.

duckroll

Ferrari should get fined over their comments. If nothing happens, then it actually makes the sport more dubious imo. Ever since Alonso made the first comments right after the race, I've been expecting some sort of sanction. It's really uncalled for, and since then they've just been louder in their comments. It's pretty lame to see them whining so much honestly. Fucking sore losers.

mclem

You guys are taking my comment a little too seriously, my point was more that Luca kept his mouth shut when Ferrari *benefitted* from something at least somewhat similar back in '98...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Britprog said:
Check out cool Mclaren/Voda viral vid

Our heroes, past and present - Button, Hamilton and Senna's MP4-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQCXE7DDuc

Would love to be left alone in that warehouse for a couple of hours :D

Wow. I like these virals. The previous one was funny. This one is somber to me.

Most impressive is at 2:15 or so when you can see it on his face he is just absorbing it.

Seanspeed

Banned
duckroll said:
Fucking sore losers.
They didn't 'lose', though. They were doing fine, did the right thing and got screwed, while their main opposition broke the rules and still got 2nd.

They've every right to be pissed off about it. Especially at Alonso's home race, and after they banked heavily on their big upgrade to give them a good result(which they were looking to get before the SC).

If it was your team and/or your driver, you'd be right pissed, too. And I tell you what: if it was Alonso and Ferrari who broke the rules and got 2nd, and Lewis/Mclaren that did the right thing and lost out, the F1 world would explode with hatred and scorn for Ferrari and their 'cheating' ways and how the FIA always favors them and blah blah blah.

But I suppose some people would rather Ferrari just accept the injustices they faced and not do anything about. But again, 'some' people obviously aren't Ferrari fans. Its amazing how different things can look on the other side of the fence!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pleasant looking track. Somewhat symmetrical but not quite. I wonder if there is any elevation change, it would add some much needed variety as most of the recent tracks have been flatter than flat.

Seanspeed

Banned
Jinjo said:
The Europe GP in Valencia might be replaced by a GP in Mallorca and it's not a Tilke track.

Also, more Red Bull crying over engine equalisation.

Aaaand another video (contest) about why McLaren is the best F1 team ever. One lucky ass chap gets a chance to race the MP4-23.
Red Bull have every right to complain about engine equalization.

Being in a 'frozen engine' period, and since Mercedes and Mclaren have both rejected any attempts for Red Bull to get Mercedes engines, Red Bull are permanently disadavantaged with nothing they can do about it except ask the FIA for some equalization. To me, this makes their successes even more brilliant, because they have to overcome engine inferiority by coming up with such a brilliant car design.

Seriously, in a constructor's series like F1, what Red Bull have managed to acheive is pretty damn amazing. Gotta give them big credit for that considering they'd probably be *murdering* the field with Mercedes engines, are a smaller team than both Mclaren and Ferrari, spend less than them, and dont have major manufacturer support like Mclaren does.

shas'la

Their engine is more fuel efficient so they can carry less, I find it interesting we have a powerful and heavy set up versus a less powerful but lighter set up.

navanman

Seanspeed said:
Red Bull have every right to complain about engine equalization.

Being in a 'frozen engine' period, and since Mercedes and Mclaren have both rejected any attempts for Red Bull to get Mercedes engines, Red Bull are permanently disadavantaged with nothing they can do about it except ask the FIA for some equalization. To me, this makes their successes even more brilliant, because they have to overcome engine inferiority by coming up with such a brilliant car design.

Seriously, in a constructor's series like F1, what Red Bull have managed to acheive is pretty damn amazing. Gotta give them big credit for that considering they'd probably be *murdering* the field with Mercedes engines, are a smaller team than both Mclaren and Ferrari, spend less than them, and dont have major manufacturer support like Mclaren does.

I don't disagree with the what you said but there are a few counter-points that can be made.
The RBR car by design isn't the fastest car in a speed traps due to the huge downforce it has and drag associated with that. The Renault team is one of the fastest in the speed-traps with the same engine.
By producing less HP than the Mercedes & Ferrari engine, it produces less heat as a by-product and its also more fuel efficient. Both of these make for a lighter RBR car due to less cooling needed and less fuel needed for a full race.

Goldrusher

Red Bull designer Adrian Newey has been given one of the team’s 2009 cars.
He was presented with the RB5 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed today. He drove the car up the hill today and will drive it again tomorrow.

He joined Red Bull in 2006. The RB5 scored the team’s first F1 win at Shanghai last year and Sebastian Vettel’s win at Valencia was the team’s tenth victory.

Newey said:

"I’m overcome actually. The guys have obviously put a tremendous amount of effort into preparing the car for me. You can see it – the paint and the lines are absolutely perfect, the work that’s gone into doing the helmet and everything else is incredible. Also, the fact that the guys have given up a weekend to come down here and run it for me is fantastic.

I was nervous before my first run, as I’d never driven a car with a hand clutch before and had never left-foot braked expect in a go-kart – but it’s really fantastic to drive. A slight fright was that I wasn’t prepared for how long first gear is, so as I was pulling out of the paddock it was pushing me on a lot. I was saying to myself ‘hand clutch, hand clutch’, but the automatic reaction is to go for the left foot! We went up the hill on wet tyres, so it was a gentle drive. It’s just so great to be in the car and it’s such a great noise from the inside.

The plan now is to club together with some other guys I know who are lucky enough to have cars and hire a circuit, preferably a modern one with a bit of run off where I can enjoy driving the car without worrying about having a spin in front of a crowd!"
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/07/02/newey-given-rb5-at-goodwood/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom