• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Red Bull have every right to complain about engine equalization.

Being in a 'frozen engine' period, and since Mercedes and Mclaren have both rejected any attempts for Red Bull to get Mercedes engines, Red Bull are permanently disadavantaged with nothing they can do about it except ask the FIA for some equalization. To me, this makes their successes even more brilliant, because they have to overcome engine inferiority by coming up with such a brilliant car design.
, and dont have major manufacturer support like Mclaren does.

According to a mclaren guy on autosport the renualt engine is only down around 1% in power compared to the best but has better economy, torque curve and is a lighter unit.

This is supported by the weakest engine last year being the toyota unit which was only ~20bhp down on the mercedes unit.

So if red bull want engine equalisation then fine, making them carry more fuel, a heavier engine and a engine that doesnt help produce as much traction and then they will be equal.

Also what major manufacturer supports mclaren? asides from a customer merc engine they are indy.

Goldrusher

More Goodwood photos: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/07/...inen-and-more-in-action-at-goodwood-pictures/

Even (76 year old) John Surtees was there, driving the Ferrari 158 he won the championship with 45 years ago.

World champion Jenson Button drove Alain Prost’s McLaren which won the 1986 world championship while Mark Webber demonstrated last year’s Red Bull.

Bruno Senna drove his uncle’s last McLaren and HRT team mate Karun Chandhok was at the wheel of Keke Rosberg’s championship-winning Williams.

Jackie Stewart went up the hill in the same Lotus 38 that Jim Clark won the Indianapolis 500 with 45 years ago. And Mika Hakkinen got acquainted with a 1954 Mercedes W196.

Finally, Marc Gene and Nico Rosberg demonstrated two of last year’s cars. The latter was in the championship-winning Brawn BGP001 running in the colours Mercedes are using in F1 this year.

Check back here for more pictures later today as Jarno Trulli is set to take over Fittipaldi’s Lotus 72 and Button will be driving the 2008 McLaren-Mercedes MP4-23.

ashk

dalin80 said:
According to a mclaren guy on autosport the renualt engine is only down around 1% in power compared to the best but has better economy, torque curve and is a lighter unit.

This is supported by the weakest engine last year being the toyota unit which was only ~20bhp down on the mercedes unit.

So if red bull want engine equalisation then fine, making them carry more fuel, a heavier engine and a engine that doesnt help produce as much traction and then they will be equal.

Also what major manufacturer supports mclaren? asides from a customer merc engine they are indy.

So if the Renault engine is an overall better package, or at least the same as the Mercedes engine, why would McLaren veto Red Bull from getting Mercedes engines?

According to Red Bull, Renault is weaker by 30bhp, but they also stated that it is impossible to tell the exact difference without testing them all in controlled conditions.

dalin80

Banned
ashk said:
So if the Renault engine is an overall better package, or at least the same as the Mercedes engine, why would McLaren veto Red Bull from getting Mercedes engines?

According to Red Bull, Renault is weaker by 30bhp, but they also stated that it is impossible to tell the exact difference without testing them all in controlled conditions.

1- maybe due to the same concerns that ross brawn had about being able to produce that many engines without sacrificing build quality.

2- according to the people who would benefit you mean, odd that renault themselves havent being making any noise only the lying douchebag horner. Also all the engines were tested a couple of years ago by the FIA in the previous equalisation test, at which time renault were allowed to make improvements.

Jinjo

ashk said:

Something about Red Bull vs. Monster Energy Drink and already 3 cars on the grid having Merc engines.

ashk

Jinjo said:
Something about Red Bull vs. Monster Energy Drink and already 3 cars on the grid having Merc engines.

Mercedes stated that it would have provided engines to Red Bull if McLaren had not vetoed the proposal. They probably have a better idea of how many teams they can supply, so I don't think McLaren would need to veto over that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sorry for being late, but i just saw Valencia GP, kobayashi pwned them all.

Also, i jumped to 10th place, and i have nice 20mil cache for some upgrades. Cant wait for silverstone.

clipboard01.jpg

Jinjo

Bad news guys, I will be able to watch the Silverstone race come sunday. So no McLaren 1-2. :lol I could deliberately not watch it, but that probably wouldn't work.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I'm going to miss the race too. I'm in China at the moment so I'm out of sync with my usual news and stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
easy question this week. Saved up some money so will try and edge my drivers slowly upwards. but they'll still be shit :/ At least my engine/chassis is fairly set RBR/MCL. (although slightly tempted to go MCL/MCL

Burai

shitonmychest57
Bruno Senna will be replaced by Sakon Yamamoto at Silverstone:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85082

The Hispania team has dropped Bruno Senna for the British Grand Prix weekend, in a surprise move on the eve of the event.

Test driver Sakon Yamamoto will race alongside Karun Chandhok instead.

HRT boss Colin Kolles confirmed to the BBC that the change would take place, but further details of the driver switch will not be released until Friday morning.

Kolles added that Yamamoto only had the drive for Silverstone at present.

"A decision as to who will drive for Hispania for the rest of the season will be taken over the weekend," he said.

Yamamoto's racing debut for Hispania will mark his first Formula 1 start since his stint with Spyker in the second half of 2007.

I presume it's for money reasons, but we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Goldrusher

Ferrari has revealed a new logo for 2011 which in effect replaces the controversial barcode. It will be used on the car and personnel from January 1.

Unveiling the logo, team boss Stefano Domenicali said that the team would continue to be called Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, adding that the graphic changes had been made in conjunction with Philip Morris.

“All the activities related to the activities of the racing department will use this logo,” said Domenicali. ”It will be on top of the cars, on the uniforms, on the drivers’ overalls, on the Ferrari Driver Academy activities, and all the other things that we will do in the future through the racing department of F1. This belongs to our team and is a trade mark of Scuderia Marlboro Ferrari.”

The cynical view might be that it looks even more like a cigarette packet than the barcode did…

30kx6ci.jpg

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
"team boss Stefano Domenicali said that the team would continue to be called Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro"

Simplify your team names please. Logo is horrid apart from the black stallion of course.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Cereal KiIIer said:
Do I get money if I had chosen Senna as the first drop-out? :lol
:lol :lol

Me too. Hmm, I will have to log in and see how they treat that.

Silverstone should be interesting.

curls said:
Simplify your team names please. Logo is horrid apart from the black stallion of course.

Are you kidding? It's Scuderia Ferrari, man. the SF have been part of that prancing horse logo for decades.

smh

Massa said:
Man, that's terrible news. Fuck these GP2 teams.
Well, we really don't know why he was dropped yet. I feel there's a good chance he scored a 3rd driver seat elsewhere... but I guess we'll see.

DSK123

Neo Member
curls said:
"team boss Stefano Domenicali said that the team would continue to be called Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro"

Kids these days just don't appreciate history.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Funky Functionality said:
Are you kidding? It's Scuderia Ferrari, man. the SF have been part of that prancing horse logo for decades.

I think he means the rest of it with the weird squarish box and font, not the iconic badge.

AcridMeat

Banned
Noooooooooo I missed (didn't submit) my second bonus question in a row. Truly fucked myself over as this one was ridiculously easy. :(

Ah well, looking forward to the race weekend. Interesting to hear about Senna too.

Chris R

Button in a McLaren with the first timed lap on the new track. Still going to take getting used to (and why aren't there more grandstands at the arena area?????)

Juicy Bob

rhfb said:
Button in a McLaren with the first timed lap on the new track. Still going to take getting used to (and why aren't there more grandstands at the arena area?????)

Aren't they still bulding everything up for next year? I thought that the Start/Finish line is moving to just after Club corner next year.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Shaneus said:
Sure he didn't mean the big fuckoff "Marlboro" at the end?

This.

Jeez. Surrounding logo and typeface are still a horrid piece of graphic design.

Juicy Bob

If there's one thing that we've learnt from that session, it's that the new right-hander before the new Abbey Hairpin is bumpy as hell.

Leunam

VFR3K.png

All eyes are on McLaren this weekend as Formula 1 journeys to legendary Silverstone. Looking for another 1-2, McLaren brings a much talked about upgrade to their MP4-25. Initial practices aren't quite indicative of a substantial performance boost, but we'll have to wait and see how they perform against the powerful duo of Vettel and Webber, the latter who has shaken off a horrendous crash with Kovalainen at Valencia.

New to Silverstone is a change in the layout of the track. Some drivers have struggled with the Arena addition but we can certainly expect them to adapt by the time of the race.

rQpCo.jpg

soeLt.gif

The British Grand Prix is a race in the calendar of the FIA Formula One World Championship. It is currently held at the Silverstone Circuit near the village of Silverstone in Northamptonshire. The British and Italian Grands Prix are the oldest continuously staged Formula One World Championship Grands Prix.

Grand Prix motor racing was first established in Britain by Henry Segrave at Brooklands in 1926 after his winning of the 1923 French Grand Prix and the San Sebastián Grand Prix the following year, which raised interest in the sport. The first ever British Grand Prix was won by the French team of Louis Wagner and Robert Sénéchal driving a Delage 155B. The second British Grand Prix was held at Brooklands in 1927. It was designated the European Grand Prix five times between 1950 and 1977, when this title was an honorary designation given each year to one grand prix race in Europe.

Silverstone has hosted the race regularly since the start of the F1 championship in 1950 (in which it was the first race of the first ever official World Championship) and every year since 1987; it alternated with Brands Hatch between 1964 and 1986, and with Aintree (better known as a horse-racing course) between 1955 and 1962.

Before it was heavily modified in 1991, Silverstone was one of the fastest tracks on the Formula 1 calendar. The drivers loved the challenge of the sweeping and extremely demanding Copse, Stowe and Club corners. 1982 World Champion Keke Rosberg held the all-time Formula 1 qualifying lap record for 16 years after posting fastest time for the 1985 British Grand Prix with an average speed of 258.983 km/h (160.92 mph).

In recent times Silverstone has produced many race wins by British drivers, such as John Watson (1981), Nigel Mansell (1987, 1991, 1992), Damon Hill (1994), Johnny Herbert (1995), David Coulthard (1999, 2000) and Lewis Hamilton (2008).

A dispute between Silverstone's owners, the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), and the Formula One authorities in 2003 over the funding of necessary improvements to the track's facilities led to doubts over the future of the race.

In October 2004 the British Grand Prix was left off the preliminary race schedule for 2005 because the BRDC refused to pay the race fee demanded by Bernie Ecclestone. However, after months of negotiation between the BRDC, Ecclestone and the Formula One constructors, a deal was made for the Grand Prix to be held at Silverstone until 2009.

Despite the controversy and political bickering that has surrounded the future of the race in recent years, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone remains one of the world's premier motor racing events.

On 4 July 2008, it was announced that Donington Park had been awarded the contract to host the British Grand Prix for 10 years from 2010. However, Donington failed to secure the necessary funding to host the race, and its contract was terminated in November 2009. On 7 December 2009, Silverstone signed a 17 year contract to host the British Grand Prix from 2010 onwards. The 2010 race will see a new circuit configuration being used, using the brand new "Arena" layout.

Onboard Lap

Onboard Lap of the previous Silverstone Circuit layout courtesy of former Jaguar-Cosworth driver Johnny Herbert.

xN9Py.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Sebastien Vettel - Red Bull-Renault - 1:20.735
Most Wins
Jim Clark and Alain Prost - 5
Most Wins for Constructor
McLaren and Ferrari - 14

Highlights from Previous Years

Summary of British GP 1950 part 1
Summary of British GP 1950 part 2

Highlights from British GP 1958 (Article discussing this race below)

Previous Winners

IyNGx.png

Championship Standings

fKeEp.png

Last Minute News

Silverstone '58 - Hawthorn & Collins' all-English affair
McLaren have Red Bull in their sights
British Grand Prix: Bruno Senna to return to Hispania
Webber talks up Button and Hamilton rivalry
Friday Practice - Selected team and driver quotes
In for the long haul - Exclusive Robert Kubica Q&A

----

Sorry for getting this posted so late. I think from now on, I'll be posting these on Wednesday so I can create a space for practice and qualifying results.

Chris R

McLaren are boned this race. I had just enough money to upgrade to RBR for my chassis and engine. They better not blow it for me. Now for my bets...

Britprog

Seanspeed said:

Just watched free practice 3 on bbc, they think that the update actually works but mess up the balance of the car, thats why lewis came off a million times yesterday.

Tough weekend for the McLarens i guess, would be lucky to be in the top 6 in qualifying, maybe even miss out on Q3

Red Bull look like an easy 1-2, but need to sort out that front wing!!!!

Ferrari look stronger, Alonso should finish on the podium, however he did have an issue at the end FP3, and missed his last run.

EDIT

"[Alonso's car] had a water leak and we called him in immediately in order to check the car and avoid any risk"

Damn, hope they fix it, as I want him to be up there to fight the Red Bulls!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom