• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

Dead Man said:
According to the wiki it was only missed for one year. It was back at the Nurburgring in 1971. Or, have I just realised I am an idiot and do you mean they boycotted it until work was done, which could not be done quick enough, so the race was held at H'ring, and then the track was reconstructed after the race had already been held?

:( One more crime to lay at Bernies feet.
they decided to boycott it at the French GP which was early july. the German GP was in early august. Of course the changes couldn't be made within a month.
The reconstruction work began in February 1971, so it definitely didn't took place because of reconstruction work but because of the boycott

AndyD

aka andydumi
I went with boycott. Yes they boycotted because it was being reconstructed and safety was not up to par quick enough, but I feel the reconstruction question is more of a general reconstruction statement.

Dead Man

AndyD said:
I went with boycott. Yes they boycotted because it was being reconstructed and safety was not up to par quick enough, but I feel the reconstruction question is more of a general reconstruction statement.
Same.

AcridMeat

Banned
AndyD said:

This is what I went with as well. I'm just happy I had time to answer it after not submitting the last two. :lol

Bobo

Morning GAF. Not long until free practice 1, but I cant think as to who I shall pick as my main driver on a long… longish term.

The candidates AKA the guys I can just barely afford:

Massa: Nope. let’s move on.

Kubica: Gets the most out of the car, but with no major updates the Renault could be left behind. (no F-duct / Blown Floor.)

Shoemaker: Consistently inconsistent, but the Mercedes does look like the best of the rest. Bar Alonso maybe.

So… who do you think I shall choose bearing in mind I will be sticking with him for awhile. (At least 2-3 races)

Chris R

Bobo said:
Morning GAF. Not long until free practice 1, but I cant think as to who I shall pick as my main driver on a long… longish term.

The candidates AKA the guys I can just barely afford:

Massa: Nope. let’s move on.

Kubica: Gets the most out of the car, but with no major updates the Renault could be left behind. (no F-duct / Blown Floor.)

Shoemaker: Consistently inconsistent, but the Mercedes does look like the best of the rest. Bar Alonso maybe.

So… who do you think I shall choose bearing in mind I will be sticking with him for awhile. (At least 2-3 races)
Kubica would be my choice, but who knows. If the Ferrari or Mercedes look good after all the practices I'd consider the others.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mclaren could be fucked, testing EBD in wet

From Autosport:
Rain is set to destroy the teams' plans for practice today.

Showers developed in the area shortly after dawn and moved north east towards the circuit. The showers have intensified and merged to produce a longer spell of rain over the last two hours.

The heaviest of this morning's rain should slide gradually away to the north east, leaving light showers behind - further increasing the risk of the first session remaining wet.

But the teams are watching a much more intense trough line that began to develop at 06:00 local time over central France. It is now on the move, intensifying all the time. Forecasts predict that the rain could be torrential by the time it reaches the circuit - possibly before the start of second practice.

Temperatures will suffer greatly compared with the heat-wave conditions seen across Germany over the last fortnight, with a maximum of just 22 degrees Celsius expected.

Track is very wet right now, heavy rain looms around the track.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Are there any english streaming sites left? All of the ones I used to use don't have it anymore....

I'm stuck watching practice in spanish.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
PIT : 'Well done, Lewis'

His rear just snapped suddenly and he was unable to save it. Dunno, black clouds on the horizon for Team UK? Car rear looks smashed.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
That car is wrecked. He touched the white line and then the car spun.
He caught the spin well but then the car tank slapped into the wall.
Lots of rear end damage.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
He will do well to get any time in FP2 as well today.
Looks like its going to be a bad weekend for McLaren again this weekend.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
My internet connection is soooo slow today

62218199.jpg

Also it looked like he lost it due to water or wet white line. He will be back for FP2.

good old days:

19: Senna
20: Schumacher
:lol :lol

Britprog

Not a good show by Hami, made a stupid mistake!!! You could hear it in his voice how pissed he was.

Hope they can rebuild the car for FP2 and get some good times on the board.

Good show by button at the end of session for the third fastest tip, still 1 sec off the pace.

Any idea what happend to Alonso????

Bobo

Free practice 1.
Code:
Pos  Driver         Team                   Time              Laps
 1.  Sutil          Force India-Mercedes   1:25.701            20
 2.  Massa          Ferrari                1:26.850  + 1.149   27
 3.  Button         McLaren-Mercedes       1:26.936  + 1.235   16
 4.  Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth      1:26.947  + 1.246   21
 5.  Petrov         Renault                1:26.948  + 1.247   21
 6.  Rosberg        Mercedes               1:27.448  + 1.747   20
 7.  Buemi          Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:28.114  + 2.413   31
 8.  Hulkenberg     Williams-Cosworth      1:28.193  + 2.492   24
 9.  Liuzzi         Force India-Mercedes   1:28.300  + 2.599   19
10.  de la Rosa     Sauber-Ferrari         1:28.486  + 2.785   23
11.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault       1:28.735  + 3.034   21
12.  Glock          Virgin-Cosworth        1:28.735  + 3.034   21
13.  Kubica         Renault                1:28.903  + 3.202   20
14.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault       1:29.048  + 3.347   13
15.  Trulli         Lotus-Cosworth         1:29.280  + 3.579   17
16.  Alguersuari    Toro Rosso-Ferrari     1:29.366  + 3.665   34
17.  Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes       1:29.429  + 3.728    8
18.  di Grassi      Virgin-Cosworth        1:29.500  + 3.799   19
19.  Alonso         Ferrari                1:29.684  + 3.983   15
20.  Kobayashi      Sauber-Ferrari         1:29.690  + 3.989   17
21.  Fauzy          Lotus-Cosworth         1:30.938  + 5.237   27
22.  Senna          HRT-Cosworth           1:31.720  + 6.019   23
23.  Schumacher     Mercedes               1:32.450  + 6.749   13
24.  Yamamoto       HRT-Cosworth           1:32.791  + 7.090   26

mrklaw

MrArseFace
operon said:
based on this practice and lewis damage should I change to red bull am wondering

if you're thinking Mclaren will be generally strong, then no. Not worth the cost to change and then change back

Ponti

Chandhok is a much better commentator than Legard. :lol The BBC should bring him in to commentate more on the races he isn't racing on.

Deadman

Ponti said:
Chandhok is a much better commentator than Legard. :lol The BBC should bring him in to commentate more on the races he isn't racing on.

Yep.

Hamilton only getting out now, 12 minutes to go. That crash cost him dearly.

Edit: He still goes 7th fastest, 0.7sec behind first yet still 0.7sec faster than Jensen. Kinda hard to draw any conclusions from the two practices, but if pushed id say it looks like a RedBull/Ferrari fight this weekend.

S. L.

Ferrari looks pretty solid here. Aside from that it's hard to tell anything because of the changing weather conditions. I'm guessing a 1-2 quali of RBR tomorrow with Alonso third. (assuming it will be somewhat dry)

moojito

Very impressed with Chandhok on the commentary! I'd heard he was very popular in the pit lane, I can see why. That's some encylopedic knowledge of f1 he has going on.

edit: actually, he kind of talks right over the other two quite often. That's not so cool!

Anyhoo, I'm predicting a winner this weekend not from mclaren, red bull or ferarri. You heard it here first!

Leunam

CNGGK.png

It's hard to deny Michael Shumachers influence in Germany when it comes to motorsport. Indeed, five other drivers on the grid are German, so it's easy to understand why this particular Grand Prix is so anticipated for the home crowd. The next round of the 2010 Formula Grand Prix visits the Hockenheimring, where Michael Schumacher, his teammate Nico Rosberg, Adrian Sutil, Timo Glock Sebastien Vettel and Nico Hulkenberg hope to give their home country the proper spectacle they came for.

XwHjh.jpg

GcWBx.gif

In 1907, Germany staged the first of the Kaiserpreis races at the Taunus Circuit. Entries were limited to touring cars with engines of less than eight litres. Italy's Felice Nazzaro won the race in a Fiat. Like the Prinz-Heinrich-Fahrt, which was held from 1908 to 1911, it was a precursor to the German Grand Prix.

The first national event in German Grand Prix motor racing was held at the AVUS (Automobil Verkehrs und Übungs-Straße) race circuit in southwestern Berlin in 1926 as a sports car race. The first race at AVUS, in heavy rain, was won by Germany's native son, Rudolf Caracciola in a Mercedes-Benz. The event was marred by Adolf Rosenberger's crash into one of the marshals' huts, killing three people. The German Grand Prix became an official event in 1929, but would not return to AVUS again until 1959, and then only once.

The Grand Prix moved to the new, 28 km (17.4 mi)-long course at Nürburgring, which was inaugurated on June 18, 1927, with the annual race, the ADAC Eifelrennen. It stayed mainly on the 22.8 km (14.2 mi) Nordschleife (North Loop) course until the 1970s, when the rival Hockenheimring would take over owing to safety concerns.

The 1930 and 1933 German Grands Prix were both cancelled because of the country's economic problems.

Starting in 1934, there were often several races each year with the so called "Silver Arrows" Grand Prix cars in Germany, eg. the Eifelrennen, the AVUS race, and several hillclimbs. Yet it was only the Grand Prix at the Nürburgring that was the national Grande Epreuve, which counted toward the European Championship from 1935 to 1939.

After Bernd Rosemeyer and Hans Stuck scored one victory each, Rudolf Caracciola took the German GP in 1937 and again in 1939, a feat no other German driver accomplished between 1937 and 1995, when Michael Schumacher won. During this time, foreigners scored two upset wins: Italian Tazio Nuvolari in 1935 and the British Dick Seaman in 1938.

At that time, a new track had been built near Dresden, called the Deutschlandring, which was intended to host the 1940 German Grand Prix. However, because of the outbreak of World War II, the race was never run.

After WWII, Germany and German drivers were banned from international contests until 1951, so the inaugural F1 Season in 1950 did not include the German GP.

Owing to the decline in attendance after the retirement of Mercedes and Juan Manuel Fangio, the AvD returned the German GP to AVUS in 1959. Owing to the simple layout of this high speed track and several accidents, it was considered a bad move. In anticipation of 1961 rule changes in F1, the 1960 GP was held for Formula 2 cars of Porsche as well as the F2 Ferrari Dino of Wolfgang von Trips, which did not show up. This GP did not count towards the World Championships, and was also held on the shorter 7.7 km (4.8 mi) Nürburgring Südschleife (South Loop).

After the former Formula 2 rules were declared the new Formula 1, Porsche entered Formula 1 in 1961. Additional F1 races were held at their home town Stuttgart at the Solitude circuit. These races, joined together with Grand Prix motorcycle racing World Championship events, drew an average of 288,000 spectators. There were rumours that the German Grand Prix might be moved to the more popular track, yet the opposite happened, as the Solitude races were canceled after 1965, while the GP had returned to the Nürburgring Nordschleife in 1961.

In 1970, drivers asked for safety improvements on such short notice that they could not be made, and the German Grand Prix moved to the Hockenheimring, which had already been modified. After a rebuild, the Nordschleife hosted six more GPs. Formula 1 finally declined to race there after 1976, with Niki Lauda's crash sealing this decision.

Since 1977, the Hockenheimring has become the German Grand Prix's permanent home, with the exception of the event in 1985, which was held on the new 4.5 km (2.8 mi) Nürburgring. In 1984 an additional F1 race already had been held at the Nürburgring following the inauguration of its modern "Grand Prix Strecke" layout. Following the success of Schumacher, this went on to become the venue for a second annual F1 race in Germany, the European Grand Prix or Luxembourg Grand Prix since 1995.

In 2006 it was reported that from 2007 until 2010, the German Grand Prix would be shared between the Nürburgring (former home of the European Grand Prix) and the Hockenheimring. The former would hold the races in 2007 and 2009 and the latter in 2008 and 2010. However, the name for the 2007 Grand Prix was later changed. While it was originally intended to be the German Grand Prix, the Nürburgring currently lists the 2007 event as "Großer Preis von Europa" (European Grand Prix).

The 2010 GP, to be held in Hockenheim, is in jeopardy as the track owners, the city and the state of Baden-Württemberg, are not willing anymore to lose money due to the high licensing costs imposed by F1 management. In addition, talks with Bernie Ecclestone were hampered by his Hitler quotes. If the track is relieved from being the venue, the owners intend on returning the track back to its former layout.

Onboard Lap

Red Bulls Mark Webber walks us through a lap of the Hockenheimring.

dpYWZ.png

*Note that this is the layout from around 2002

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Fernando Alonso - Renault - 1:33.365
Most Wins
Rudolf Caracciola - 6
Most Wins for Constructor
Ferrari - 19

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from German GP 2003

Footage from German GP 1970 (Article discussing race below)

Previous Winners

PvHfb.png

*Note that the 2007 German GP was cancelled.

Drivers Championship Standings

Fb657.png

Constructors Championship Standings

vtB95.png

Last Minute News

Hockenheim revisited - The 1970 German Grand Prix
Ferrari and Red Bull pace worries Jenson Button
Hispania drop Karun Chandhok for German Grand Prix
Red Bull F1 team boss rules out driver favouritism
Jacques Villeneuve confirms Durango commercial link
Friday analysis - Ferrari back in the hunt?
Friday practice - selected team and driver quotes

Shaneus

Webber back-to-back German wins!

Fuck I wish we had the old Hockenheimring back... I remember driving around it in Grand Prix Circuit on PC :lol

Pimpwerx

Woot! I'm back in time for Hockenheim! :D I'm gonna shake things up a bit in the fantasy league. I'm being too reactionary. With comissioner's fees becoming larger, I'm gonna make a decision for the rest of the season. I'm trying to figure out if I should stay awake another 4 hours, or set my alarm for 5am. But I gotta watch practice and decide which team I think has it for the rest of the season.

As for practice, I wonder if Lewis got caught out by the blown diffuser. He noted the change in grip levels when you lifted off the throttle. He set the fastest time for primes, but we'll see if they have anything for qualies. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Practice = ???? for me.

WTF is going to happen in qualies? I have no damn clue. :lol How confident you feeling in your picks, SL?

I'm throwing some cards in a hat and pulling names at random right now. :lol Good luck you everyone on their picks. Let's crush AtlasF1!

McLaren looks like they're on the cusp of getting that blown diffuser working. Button isn't that happy with it, but Lewis looks like he could come to terms with it by Q3, or in the race.

Ferrari look so quick, I had the crazy idea of picking Massa this weekend. I might still do it, but that knucklehead is hardly reliable. Oh well. This should be another entertaining race, if practices are anything to go on. The parity is better between the top three teams than any race prior. I can't wait. :D PEACE.

EDIT: Thanks Juicy Bob. :)

Deadman

Kov/Alonso/Red Bull/Ferrari/Shell.

I also almost went for Massa, which would have let me keep total, but ive gambled on Alonso winning instead of just being 3rd.

Bobo

Quite interesting session.

Code:
pos  Driver         Team                   Time              Laps
 1.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault       1:15.103            18
 2.  Alonso         Ferrari                1:15.387  + 0.284   21
 3.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault       1:15.708  + 0.605   16
 4.  Massa          Ferrari                1:15.854  + 0.751   20
 5.  Rosberg        Mercedes               1:16.046  + 0.943   20
 6.  Hamilton       McLaren-Mercedes       1:16.207  + 1.104   13
 7.  Schumacher     Mercedes               1:16.473  + 1.370   16
 8.  Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth      1:16.481  + 1.378   23