• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

Leunam said:
Where did you hear that Kimi to Renault rumor? Is he not fairing well in WRC?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind.
well if he stays another year he can replace Webber after that :D
And Glock should move to Renault then. He is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for Virgin.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
S. L. said:
well if he stays another year he can replace Webber after that :D
And Glock should move to Renault then. He is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for Virgin.
Hm, Kovalainen is linked with Renault for the next season. Lotus is interested in Renault engine so this could happen (Kovalainen to Renault, Lotus get Renault engine). But Lotus signed 3 year contract with Cosworth, so this could be impossible.

But i think that 2nd driver in Renault will be connected with sponsors. Rasputin jr. could find some other large Russian companies (Gazprom) that would bring much needed money to Renault F1 team.

Leunam

S. L. said:

Yeah I'm still amazed Glock landed at Virgin and not Sauber, at least. Same for Trulli.

But if Lotus does indeed get Renault engines next year that would be a massive boost. They're already the best of the back row teams.

moojito

I wonder if Nick Heidfeld will find a seat next season as well, or if he'll just wait for Schumacher to throw in the towel again.

edit: while checking wikipedia for the correct spelling of Heidfeld, I noticed this picture of the 2008 bmw. I forgot what an awesome looking car it was!

nickheidfeld2008belgium.jpg

moojito said:
I wonder if Nick Heidfeld will find a seat next season as well, or if he'll just wait for Schumacher to throw in the towel again.

edit: while checking wikipedia for the correct spelling of Heidfeld, I noticed this picture of the 2008 bmw. I forgot what an awesome looking car it was!

The angle of the side shot makes the car look like something out of a future envisioned in the 70/80s

moojito said:

I loved those cars. I know people hated all the extra wings and crap, but it was awesome seeing all the different solutions and crazy experiments the teams came up with.

Burai

shitonmychest57
moojito said:

It's a shame they bailed out of the championship fight because they'd arrogantly presumed that they'd walk the 2009 championship.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Leunam said:
Sounds like they just really want Yamamoto to be on the team and they're just figuring out who to replace.
He probably brought new sponsors and Chandok failed to do his part of the deal - to bring fresh sponsor money

Leunam

DrM said:
He probably brought new sponsors and Chandok failed to do his part of the deal - to bring fresh sponsor money

That's exactly why I didn't put much thought into the possibility of Senna being dropped since it wasn't him who was having a hard time getting sponsors. Shame really, since Chandhok has been doing better than Senna.

Goldrusher

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Sounds like he's the only serious candidate for the 13th slot.

The other ones are Cypher with their made-in-Paint logo and a GP2 team, Durango or Epsilon Euskadi.

Undeterred by his failure to rejoin the grand prix grid in F1 2010 when Serbian hopeful Stefan GP’s determined effort was turned down by the FIA at the eleventh hour, former world champion Jacques Villeneuve is reportedly trying again for 2011 – by setting up his own team, possibly in collaboration with disgraced ‘Singapore-gate’ protagonists Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds.

According to authoritative German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, the eponymously-named Villeneuve Racing is one of three shortlisted contenders for the available 13th grid slot next season, in company with the mysterious American Cypher Group – with whom former A1GP and Indy Lights ace Jonathan Summerton has been linked – and likely either Joan Villadelprat’s Spanish Epsilon Euskadi operation or Durango. Other reports suggest the French-Canadian’s project would in fact be one in partnership with the Italian GP2 Series graduates.

The hitherto considered hot favourite – multiple GP2 and F3 Euroseries champions ART Grand Prix – withdrew its bid last week due to insufficient financial guarantees [see separate story – click here]. There are believed to have been as many as ten applicants to begin with, and a final decision is expected from the governing body later this month.

Villeneuve Racing is understood to have successfully overcome every hurdle thus far, and has an existing infrastructure in the UK, with further rumours that ex-Arrows and Super Aguri F1 employees could be involved – thereby suggesting a Leafield base. Briatore and Symonds are both banned from holding any direct roles in the sport until the beginning of 2013 – but that stipulation does not cover background work. It is unclear, however, how the FIA would regard their participation.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16072010/23/villeneuve-launches-2011-bid-briatore-symonds.html

BBC Sport understands Villeneuve has cleared the FIA checks aimed at establishing whether his team are technically capable of building an F1 car and a scrutiny of their financial background.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8826793.stm &
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...s-f1-team-von-jacques-villeneuve-1929844.html

Some even think Ferrari might be involved, with Rossi getting a seat.

Fun fact, if approved, the team would get numbers 27 & 28... Villeneuve has used #27 whenever possible, ever since winning the IndyCar title with it.

Goldrusher said:
Some even think Ferrari might be involved, with Rossi getting a seat.

read that post on the autosport forums:

I'm just gonna throw it out there.

New regime at Ferrari.

Ferrari pushing hard for "customer teams" or three cars per team.

Ferrari want to have Valentino Rossi in F1.

Ferrari secretly gets behind Villeneuve Racing, partly bankrolling the team and supplying them with engines and staff. Pay Symonds oversees the operational side. Flavio Briatore oversees the commercial relations between Villeneuve Racing, Ferrari and the team sponsors.

Villeneuve and Valentino Rossi teams up in the team.

The cars gets # 27 and # 28.

I'm just saying ... well I don't know what exactly.

would be awesome if true. just for rossi :bow

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Why would Ferrari want three cars per team? Or 'customer' teams?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After reading Ferrari's timeline of the events regardiing Alonso's pass, the peanlty was complete bullshit.

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, this is the chronology of the events from Ferrari's perspective.

13:31:05 The overtaking move takes place at Club and after one second Rivola calls Whiting, who replies after 11 seconds. Rivola asks: 'Have you seen the pass? In our opinion there was no room to overtake.'

26 secs after the pass, Whiting asks to be given time to watch the TV footage.

13:33 Ferrari makes a second radio call - 1m55s after the pass. Alonso has completed another lap plus one sector, and is behind Nico Rosberg and Jaime Alguersuari, while Kubica drops further back.

Whiting tells Ferrari that the stewards think Alonso could give the position back. Rivola asks: 'Is this the decision?'

Whiting replies: 'No, but that's how we see it.'

Rivola informs the team while Rosberg overtakes Alguersuari. On the GPS screen that shows the position of the cars, Ferrari sees Kubica dropping further back. Meanwhile, Alonso overtakes Alguersuari at Turn 2.

13:33:22 Ferrari makes a third radio call.

Rivola tells Whiting: 'Alonso doesn't have only Kubica behind. He would have to concede two positions now.'

While they discuss the matter Kubica is overtaken by Barrichello so Alonso would have to now give up three positions.

Whiting replies: 'We have given you the chance to do it or not. Things being this way, the stewards will hear the drivers at the end of the race, but I understand your position.'

13:35:30 Kubica stops so Alonso can no longer give the position back.

13:45:31 The stewards investigate the Alonso/Kubica incident. The monitors then display 'car number 8 under investigation', 14m26s after the pass.

13:46:26 Just 55 seconds later the stewards decide that Alonso should have a drive-through penalty.

Igo

No it wasn't. The pass was still illegal and the position needed to be handed back. Whiting only gives advice, he's not a steward. Whiting made his decision within 2 laps and at the time no positions had changed. Alonso passes Alguersuari some 45 seconds later.

In any case, the amount of cars Alonso passes or Kubica loses doesn't change anything. It just means Alonso and Ferrari screwed themselves further by not giving the position back immediately. Even if Whiting had deemed the pass legitimate the stewards could still have penalized Alonso as they did the Lewis at Spa.

Ferrari are just trying to excuse their stupidity.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Igo said:
No it wasn't. The pass was still illegal and the position needed to be handed back. Whiting only gives advice, he's not a steward. Whiting made his decision within 2 laps and at the time no positions had changed. Alonso passes Alguersuari some 45 seconds later.

In any case, the amount of cars Alonso passes or Kubica loses doesn't change anything. It just means Alonso and Ferrari screwed themselves further by not giving the position back immediately. Even if Whiting had deemed the pass legitimate the stewards could still have penalized Alonso as they did the Lewis at Spa.

Ferrari are just trying to excuse their stupidity.

Right. Whiting has an advisory role, but the stewards make the final decision.

If Ferrari were in doubt, then give back the position just in case. If they think they were 100% right, then appeal the stewards' decision.

And you have to give back the position within the next 3 turns I believe. Or is that not attempt another pass after giving back position for 3 turns?

Dead Man

Source
Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has thrown fuel on the fire, saying if anyone has a right to cry conspiracy it's Sebastian Vettel.

Red Bull have once again been making headlines but for all the wrong reasons.

Despite winning the British GP last Sunday, the team was inundated with questions about their perceived favouritism towards Vettel after they handed the new specification front wing straight off team-mate Mark Webber's car.

Webber was furious with the team's decision and referred to himself as their "number two driver" when he took the chequered flag at Silverstone.

The team, though, has subsequently held clear-the-air talks, after which Webber conceded that perhaps he shouldn't have made that comment.

And one man who believes he definitely should not have, is Red Bull's advisor, Marko, the man who put the blame for Red Bull's Turkish GP shunt firmly on Webber's shoulders even though the entire world saw it differently.

"If Mark imagines there's a conspiracy between us and Vettel against him, then he is on the wrong track," Marko told Auto Moto und Sport.

"If I was Vettel then I would have suspected the opposite. Which car has permanently had something damaged?

"Did Mark have the defective spark plug in Bahrain, the loose wheel in Australia, the broken brake disc in Barcelona, the defective chassis in Monte Carlo, the transmission problems in Montreal and now the broken wing at Silverstone?"

But not content to end it there, Marko also believes Webber should be grateful to Red Bull, after all where was he two years ago.

"Mark is having a great season, and has also improved big time, but he should not forget that he owes much of this to the team.

"Where was he two years ago?

"Then he could not even dream of grand prix victories. Today, we have given him a car that he can win on his own."

The Austrian did, however, add that he doesn't care "who is champion, the main thing is that he is driving a Red Bull."
Most of you will know I am a pretty big MW fan, but this is bullshit. Where was MW 2 years ago? Driving your slow arse car you dolt!

Edit: Not to mention, I'm pretty sure MW has contributed more to the current car than bloody Helmut Marko.

Dead Man

Tim the Wiz said:
Who is this advisor and why is his opinion deemed relevant inside Red Bull?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Marko
After being in charge Red Bull driver training programme (one of the participating drivers was Juan Pablo Montoya), since 2005 he has been involved with the Formula One Red Bull Racing Team.

In 2010 Marko was at the centre of a controversy at the Red Bull team following a collision between their two drivers, Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel at the Turkish Grand Prix. Most of the drivers felt that Vettel was at fault, but Marko claimed Webber was to blame. Team Principal Christian Horner later claimed both drivers should share responsibility. Marko's actions caused an incredible amount of bad press for the Red Bull Team, with many fans expressing their desire for him to leave the team.

In June 2010, Marko again upset many fans when he publicly stated his wishes for Mark Webber to be replaced at Red Bull Racing by Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Sébastien Buemi for the 2012 Formula One season, again sparking speculation of team orders. [2]

In July, Following the controversy after the 2010 British Grand Prix, when a new spec front wing was taken off Mark Webber's car and placed on Vettel's car after a failure, the press were again asking questions on team orders. After a clear the air session at Team Head Quarters, all seem to be going well, until Marko implied that Webber was favoured, instead of Vettel.[3]

Most of the media seem to say he has the ear of the team owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, and a lot of people seem to think he and Newey are the ones running the team, more than Horner. Don't know about that, but I do know he is a dick.

the 2008 cars became a bit overkill with all the wings and fins but some of them did look amazing, the car's today all seem like scaled down junior versions when you look at them side by side.

I like todays cars more. They look much more like "typical" F1 cars if you compare them with some cars from F1's golden era (mid 80's to mid 90's). 2008 and the couple years before the cars started to look more and more like abominations, some even like caricatures (BMW) with all these ugly little wings.

Dead Man said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Marko

Most of the media seem to say he has the ear of the team owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, and a lot of people seem to think he and Newey are the ones running the team, more than Horner. Don't know about that, but I do know he is a dick.

Damn, seems like Webber has to either win the WDC or dominate Vettel in the next two seasons to feel secure in that seat come 2012. Which is a tough ask with Marko upstairs so obviously vested in the success of Vettel and breathing fire at anything that gets in the way of that.

Shaneus

Wow. Marko sounds like a douche. Hopefully Webber shoves it up them and wins the WDC, not for his team but for himself DESPITE his team. It's a shame he has such a good car because I don't really think he could have better finishes with anyone else (except perhaps McLaren).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Shaneus said:
Wow. Marko sounds like a douche. Hopefully Webber shoves it up them and wins the WDC, not for his team but for himself DESPITE his team. It's a shame he has such a good car because I don't really think he could have better finishes with anyone else (except perhaps McLaren).
I fear that this row at RBR is far from over and Vettel could do some stupid stuff in the next races. Mclaren is just waiting for this.

Whitmarsh said that they will use new exhausts on Friday with back to back testing and comparing it to the old configuration. They have a lot of data, exhaust plume size and shape and they did massive tests in the factory.

Also, there is huge IF on HRT's future.

Shaneus

Hm. Dare I say it, but I think any massive advantage that RBR has had this year (and let's face it, they've dominated pretty much every race a la Brawn last year) will be chewed up by McLaren over then next one or two races. Can't explain why, but it feels like they should have both drivers well ahead on points at this stage but due to infighting don't, and the other challengers are going to gobble that accumulated lead and fly past them (whereas, if everything was fine internally, there shouldn't have ever been an issue. Ever.).

I hope they do well for Webber's sake because he seems like one of only a handful of drivers who genuinely want to win for the sake of being the best in the competition and not because they feel like they're simply entitled to it.

I'm Australian BTW, so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't think I'm alone here... pretty sure there are a lot of people on his side, even before all this political b/s came to light.

S. L.

Shaneus said:
Hm. Dare I say it, but I think any massive advantage that RBR has had this year (and let's face it, they've dominated pretty much every race a la Brawn last year) will be chewed up by McLaren over then next one or two races. Can't explain why, but it feels like they should have both drivers well ahead on points at this stage but due to infighting don't, and the other challengers are going to gobble that accumulated lead and fly past them (whereas, if everything was fine internally, there shouldn't have ever been an issue. Ever.).
you guys had this McL "feeling" for almost every race now :lol . RedBull is maddening fast atm. They were almost a fucking second ahead of the pack in Silverstone, wooooooooooooooooorlds apart. You don't just gain a second in one or two races.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
'Senna's the best, Nico's the prettiest'

The Formula One drivers have spoken: Ayrton Senna is the best there ever was and Nico Rosberg is a 'beautiful woman.'

Bild am Sonntag recently conducted an anonymous survey involving 20 of the 24 current drivers, with only Williams and Renault not participating.

The 'Best Driver Of All Time' went to the late Ayrton Senna, who secured in 12 votes, while Michael Schumacher was second with three and Alain Prost second with two.

As for the 'Best Active Driver', that went to Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, however, the Spaniard did not even feature in the top three for 'Who Will Win This Year's World Title'.

That was topped by Lewis Hamilton with eight votes while six drivers believe Sebastian Vettel will win it and two reckon it will go to Jenson Button.

Hamilton also led the 'Gnarliest Driver' category ahead of Alonso and Schumacher while Monaco was voted the 'Most Dangerous Track' ahead of Suzuka, Singapore and Montreal.

As for the 'Most Beautiful Woman In F1', TF1 reporter Marion Jollès clinched that title ahead of Hamilton's girlfriend, Nicole Scherzinger, while at least one of his rivals reckon Nico Rosberg deserves this honour.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Also, Bernie is again negotiating with Moscow officals for street race around Kremlin. Tilke already made some possible track configurations and now it is all on Bernie and Moscow to made a deal.

moojito

With regards to the qualifying, here's the quote I was sure I picked up from here which explains the "almost a fucking second" thing:

"One interesting observation is that Red Bull has a setting on the engine, whereby the ignition is retarded on the over run, which maintains exhaust gas pressure even when the driver lifts off the throttle. This maintains the performance of the blown diffuser and keeps the downforce up when it’s most needed. It’s not something you can do for more than a lap or two as it damages the engine, but it gives that vital fraction of a second which keeps Red Bull ahead of the rest in qualifying."

In the race itself there's not that much of a difference, and I hear if McLaren can get the blown exhaust thing working it's worth a good half second per lap, which may well make all the difference. In saying that, though, the problem McLaren were having with the diffuser was keeping the balance, so maybe if they don't have this engine setting they won't be able to sort it out at all.

Dead Man

Goldrusher said:
Gah, two answers are correct.

But I did find this nugget on the wiki page:
The 2010 GP, to be held in Hockenheim, is in jeopardy as the track owners, the city and the state of Baden-Württemberg, are not willing anymore to lose money due to the high licensing costs imposed by F1 management. In addition, talks with Bernie Ecclestone were hampered by his Hitler quotes. If the track is relieved from being the venue, the owners intend on returning the track back to its former layout

No source, but if it's true, I almost hope they do lose the race just so the world can get the real Hockenheimring back.

Dead Man

S. L. said:
i fail two see how there are two correct answers?
Driver demand caused reconstruction work to be under way if I recall correctly. Damned if I'm going to talk around these questions any more, Atlas are too close!

S. L.

Dead Man said:
Driver demand caused reconstruction work to be under way if I recall correctly. Damned if I'm going to talk around these questions any more, Atlas are too close!
the reconstruction work was for the following year(s) thou as i understand it as it was not possible to do it on such short notice

Dilly said:
They removed the tarmac? I'd think they just closed it down.
I believe the tarmac was removed the day after the final race. So sad.

If it's any consolation, the last time Google Maps updated Hockenheim was 2001... it's memory lives on.

Screenshot2010-07-14at143527.png

Dead Man

S. L. said:
the reconstruction work was for the following year(s) thou as i understand it as it was not possible to do it on such short notice
According to the wiki it was only missed for one year. It was back at the Nurburgring in 1971. Or, have I just realised I am an idiot and do you mean they boycotted it until work was done, which could not be done quick enough, so the race was held at H'ring, and then the track was reconstructed after the race had already been held?

marvelharvey said:
:( One more crime to lay at Bernies feet.

Edit: From the N'ring wiki page:
F1 drivers decided at the French Grand Prix to boycott the Ring unless major changes were made, as they did at Spa the year before. The changes were not possible on short notice, and the German GP was moved to the Hockenheimring which already had been modified.

So yeah, I guess it was more the boycott than the construction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dead Man said:

wikipedia seems ambiguous. It mentions drivers requesting safety improvements (which leads you towards one answer) but doens't mention a boycott? It also says the requests were too short notice for that race but they were in place a year later. So does that mean the work was undertaken but not finished (leading you to a different answer)?

Dead Man

mrklaw said:
wikipedia seems ambiguous. It mentions drivers requesting safety improvements (which leads you towards one answer) but doens't mention a boycott? It also says the requests were too short notice for that race but they were in place a year later. So does that mean the work was undertaken but not finished (leading you to a different answer)?
Yeah, seems ambiguous. The 1970 German GP was held on the 2nd of August, if anyone knows when the N'ring construction started. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom