• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was one entertaining Grand Prix.

I feel the penalty on Alonso was a bit harsh (exacerbated by the safety car for sure), and though I think he should have given back the position immediately to avoid that drama, it's very easy to see from his onboard view that he probably felt he had already successfully overtaken Kubica and was pushed inside unfairly. He probably felt very confident he had the position and would only give it back if instructed to do so, which of course did not happen before Kubica retired. One giant clusterfuck there--the stewards really need to make decisions faster than they have been lately. A 5-second post-race penalty would and should have been the appropriate solution. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Vettel did a great job of plowing through the field to get back to 7th, though he'd have had nowhere near the same "recovery drive" for which everyone is praising him without De La Rosa's car falling apart.

Jenson was lucky in some respects to be in the right place at the right time given a few bad circumstances with other drivers to make it to 4th despite his amazing first lap. However, he drove a pretty flawless race all things considered. Lewis drove the balls off his car, too. Very impressive showing by McLaren.

And Webber... what more is there to say? I'd love to see him bring this championship home. His performance in the first part of this season has been incredible despite a number of disadvantages thrown his way--he fully deserved the win at Silverstone and I hope he continues to do well.

I'd love to see the drivers' championship stay close and undecided until the final race. This season is shaping up to be one to remember.

S. L.

it never ceases to amaze me how long f1racemanger takes to update their stats. either their database is set up incredibly inefficient or it is running on a 486 DX4 processor.

S. L.

capturexx1e.png

:D :D :D :D :D

DieH@rd

Banned
S. L. said:
http://www.abload.de/img/capturexx1e.png
:D :D :D :D :D

I cant load the site but great, im still in #10. :D Its time to say goodbuye to Force India engine or chasis. What do you thinkg, what shall i change between those 2 parts?

S. L.

DieH@rd said:
I cant load the site but great, im still in #10. :D Its time to say goodbuye to Force India engine or chasis. What do you thinkg, what shall i change between those 2 parts?
unless you can afford to upgrade one of them to RBR (or MCL if you are a believer) i wouldn't bother and sit it out till next race. In-between teams are a waste of money at this point imo.

Seanspeed

Banned
dalin80 said:
Precedent was set in spa 08, and then hamilton did give the place back.

'you cant gain a place that way, it should always be given back' said by mr alonso just after spa 08.
Hamilton did what Alonso did in Suzuka 05 against Klien, which is to 'technically' give the spot back, but not really give up any advantage he gained. Being early in the race, Alonso was told to give Klien the spot back by the stewards. But in Spa, it was too late, and Kimi crashed out, so a post-race penalty was what was called for(though I wouldn't have given him a penalty due to the circumstances, he deserved that win).

And the main difference between the two situations was that Alonso was on course to make the pass. He was alongside Kubica on the inside where you want to be. He *was* going to pass Kubica. Lewis wasn't ever in the position to pass Kimi when he cut the chicane.

Its a minor difference, but an incredibly important one. The 'corner cutting' rule was meant to prevent drivers from just blatantly cutting corners on purpose to gain an advantage. What happened with Alonso and Kubica was obviously not the kind of situation the rule was created for.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just finished watching the race, entertaining. Tough day for Alonso, agree it was a little harsh. It would have been nice if they were quick to say let Kubica take the place back but oh well.

Very well done with Mark Webber, honestly I love that he was not having any of it from Vettel.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol McLaren singing Wonderwall.

Dead Man

Just a bad joke I've seen doing the rounds on some of the F1 sites:

After the race Red Bull decided to conduct a 'battle' between Webber and Vettel in Nurgburgring between the 2. Both racers were given identical cars and told to complete as many laps they wanted. After many laps, MW and SV were both happy with the result. This is what C.Horner told the press "Sebastien drove very well and finished in a high 2nd place while Webber came almost last."

S. L. said:
it never ceases to amaze me how long f1racemanger takes to update their stats. either their database is set up incredibly inefficient or it is running on a 486 DX4 processor.
Maybe he manually calcul the resuts and update each user page in notepad.

Britprog

Ferrari are a joke!!! Alonso was pissed with his team thats why he didn't want to speak with them on the radio!!!

What a disaster Alonso's move to Ferrari has become!!!!!

Wow, so the stewards weren't even being "harsh", Ferrari must have thought the FIA was still Ferrari International Assistance so they would get away with it :lol

dalin80

Banned
I think charlie is getting a bit pissed for being dragged into issues with the stewards who he is not part of, glad he spoke up and slapped ferrari down.

Seanspeed

Banned
As I said earlier, Ferrari were probably hoping the stewards would be sympathetic towards their and Alonso's plight, considering it wasn't really Alonso's fault that he had to run off the road when he was *just about* to stick the pass.

Charlie isn't a steward, so all he could do was 'advise' Ferrari. Its not like they refused orders or anything.

Ferrari were kinda stupid to try and do the 'right' thing, though, because they should know damn well that the stewards, at a British GP, weren't gonna be sympathetic.

Seanspeed

Banned
Britprog said:
What a disaster Alonso's move to Ferrari has become!!!!!
Yea, his last couple seasons at Renault were so much better. :lol

He's still driving brilliantly, and much of the problems he's encountered aren't team related.

I'd say you're overreacting massively.

Britprog

Seanspeed said:
Yea, his last couple seasons at Renault were so much better. :lol

He's still driving brilliantly, and much of the problems he's encountered aren't team related.

I'd say you're overreacting massively.

Its a disaster because everybody thought that Alonso + Ferrari would be a dream team, bring back the Schumy years. At the moment its a disaster.

Alonso should never have left Mclaren, if Ferrari don't sort their shit out he will finish 5th in this years WDC!!!!

Also driving brilliantly??? Rubbish start at Silverstone, didn't give his position back vs kubica!! Jump start at china, crash in FP3 at Monaco ruined his weekend!!! Constantly being over emotional effecting his driving too!!

Also WTF was he doing setting the fastest lap at Silverstone, doesn't he know that needs to save the engine as he running short.

Britprog

DrM said:

He should have never had a bust up with McLaren, he should have played it cool and dealt with the situation and do his talking on the track!!!

He is now in his late 20's signed for 3 years to Ferrari who are no longer the force that they used to be.

Do you think Ferrari in its current state will win him WDC?? Bear in mind that this years challenger had a 4-6 month advantage over most of the top end teams!

C'mon Webber!!!!

sorry, just had to say it.

Funky Functionality said:
I'd love to see the drivers' championship stay close and undecided until the final race. This season is shaping up to be one to remember.

I like how after the first race everyone was saying that it could be the most boring championship ever without refueling allowed this year.

It is definitely becoming one of the more memorable ones for me (maybe cause I am Australian though).

Chris R

chicko1983 said:
I like how after the first race everyone was saying that it could be the most boring championship ever without refueling allowed this year.

It is definitely becoming one of the more memorable ones for me (maybe cause I am Australian though).
The races would be much more interesting with refueling though. Not saying that this season hasn't been somewhat memorable, but there have been plenty of races where there are just a single pit stop and the leader checks out.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Britprog said:
Do you think Ferrari in its current state will win him WDC?? Bear in mind that this years challenger had a 4-6 month advantage over most of the top end teams!
I do not think so, they look disorganized this year from head to toe. Lack of car development, problems with engines in the beginning, driver errors (Felipe, is that you?), bad calls from pitwall...
But all can change in the near future or in the next season.

Which is quite amusing to me, because i do not like Ferrari at all. Reason is my dad, who used to be obsessed with this team and we argued like crazy after each race :lol

Pimpwerx

Good job in fantasy, SL. I got my work cut out for me the rest of this season due to the chassis/engine combo I'm stuck with. It's too expensive to switch. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
According to Autosport print edition, Mclaren can expect almost 0.7 second per lap gain when they will optimize EBD (with new front wing)

Also, no more testing while 'filming promotional videos'
F1 teams agree to tweak testing rules

Formula 1 teams have agreed a tweak to the sport's testing regulations to prevent anyone gaining a benefit from using 'filming days' to try out new parts, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The strict in-season testing ban means outfits are not meant to try out new parts away from a grand prix weekend.

However, some teams - including Mercedes GP with its new engine cover design and Ferrari with its blown diffuser - have this year managed to complete some limiting testing under the guise of a 'filming' day.

Those runs caused some concern among rival outfits, and teams have spent the last few weeks trying to tidy up the regulations.

Sources have revealed that at last week's British Grand Prix teams got together to sign off a new testing agreement that will prevent teams from exploiting filming days.

AUTOSPORT understands that with immediate effect, teams will be banned during filming days from running any parts that have not been raced before.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh confirmed the changes had taken place, and was pleased that everyone was now in agreement about what was and was not allowed.

"I personally did not feel there was any ambiguity, but others argued that there was," he said. "But that is pressure, and when people are under pressure they try and take a different view.

"It is now clear that, if you are doing a demo run, then you must use components that have been raced before - and it has to be a legitimate demo run."

Although the filming loophole was still open ahead of Silverstone, Whitmarsh revealed that he ruled out his team making use of it for its new blown diffuser, despite some pressure from team members.

"The engineers here said others have done it, why can't we?" he said. "My view, as someone trying to hold FOTA together, was that I felt we could not take that advantage."

Autosport

Pimpwerx

The testing ban is so fucking stupid. Wasn't that one of Max's retarded ideas for cost-cutting? It's only made F1 more boring. Get rid of homologation and the test ban and let's get back to some real racing. It took almost a decade to fix qualifying. Now I wonder how long it will take to fix testing. Then we can be back to 1999. :lol PEACE.

Pimpwerx

LOL @ Dennis cutting cables. Sorry, but I'd never expect that from him. :lol I guess because I hated him since I was a Schuey fan, and didn't even like him much when I became a Hammy fan. He seemed kinda stiff. PEACE.

Dead Man

marvelharvey said:
Cutting a cable? Lame. Bring Berger and zombie Senna, those guys knew how to be practical jokers.
Indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Berger
Accounts tell of an incident at Monza where in a joint helicopter ride Senna had been showing off his new tailor made briefcase. Having been made of carbon fibre composite, Senna argued that it should be virtually indestructible. Berger, without much hesitation and much to Senna's disbelief, opened the door of the helicopter and threw the briefcase out, to test the hypothesis.

"It fell somewhere near the course but we found it again," Berger recalled with a cheeky grin.

On another occasion, in an Australian hotel room Berger filled Senna's bed with animals. Senna understandably infuriated, confronted Berger by saying;

"I've spent the last hour catching 12 frogs in my room," to which Berger replied, "Did you find the snake?"

"Actually they weren't frogs, they were bigger, more like toads. In Australia they have this kind of stuff. I thought he liked animals but clearly not," Berger explained. It was an incident that prompted retaliation by Senna, who then proceeded to put a strong smelling French cheese in the air conditioning unit of Berger's room.

German car magazine Auto, Motor und Sport reported on Thursday that 1997 Formula One world champion Jacques Villeneuve is planning a come-back.

The Canadian has his own team called Villeneuve Racing and has applied to become the 13th Formula One team for next season the magazine said.

It is unclear where the 39-year-old is receiving his financing from, but he has, so far, fulfilled all the criteria stipulated by the sport's governing body, the FIA.

It is believed that the FIA will decide at the end of July who the 13th Formula One team will be next season.

:lol

Am I the only one missing the time when engine were unreliable and we would lose 1 to 3 cars each race in a big white cloud of smoke?

I hate this X engine per season limit :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom