• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

subzero9285 said:
Re-introduce ground effects, turbos, single-deck diffusers, smaller rear/front wings, unlimited testing, and ban all of Tilke's tracks except Turkey. ;)

No ground effects because those are crazy dangerous but I would do that ,except I would ban Turkey as well and keep Shanghai and Sepang.

santi_yo

1268571934_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Wow

Jinjo

avaya said:
You are so polite. I would day it's spolied by the pack of cunts at the front.

:lol

Tilke should be prosecuted for crimes against motorsport

Tilke is an idiot. He says he wants more street circuits and then he goes to create Abu Dhabi with massive run-off area's. That's not a street circuit. Where's the barriers? Oh and y'know, the street.

Igo

Shame Lewis didn't make that first lap move on Massa stick because he might have been able to hold him off for 2nd.

Please get rid of the Q3 tire rule for next season. It's so pointless. Most of the top 10 are always going to go for the option tire because it's impossible to pass during the race.

It's a shame the KERS regs were so shit because in a season with no refueling a proper KERS system might have made things interesting.

Reno7728

Team of the week: Lotus, a fantastic achievement to get 2 cars to the finish, and goes to show that having experience through the heart of a team is the key when entering the sport

AndyD

aka andydumi
Reno7728 said:
Team of the week: Lotus, a fantastic achievement to get 2 cars to the finish, and goes to show that having experience through the heart of a team is the key when entering the sport

Yep. Good for them.

Boring race. Glad there was no big pileup in the first corner, but maybe it would have spiced things up a bit.

Reno7728

He wasn't the only one...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6026891/Schumi-Good-fun-but-rather-boring

Although Michael Schumacher had "good fun" in Bahrain, the seven-time F1 World Champion admits it was all rather boring.

Schumi made his return to F1 racing at this weekend's Bahrain GP, starting from seventh place on the grid.

But aside from overtaking Mark Webber at the start to move up to sixth, there were no other major moves on the German's part - or made on him by others.

And that, quite simply, is because "overtaking is basically impossible", as Schumi said summing up F1's biggest problem.

"It's the start and then after it is just sort of go your pace and not do mistakes," he told the BBC.

"Overtaking is basically impossible, other than if somebody makes a mistake - Lewis (Hamilton) had a little one so Nico (Rosberg) was able to pass him, but got back past at the pit stop. That's about it.

"That's the action we are going to have unfortunately with this kind of environment of race strategy.

"But, anyway, it was good fun. Especially the beginning and now we are going to work forward in order to catch up what is in front of us."

And although some were hoping for more from the 41-year-old, the Mercedes GP driver insists he is pleased with his P6.

"I can live very well with sixth position and it gives both me and the team a good base to make progress. I have every confidence that we will improve the car," he said.

"Working with the team for our first race together was very positive and the guys did a great job so I would like to thank them for their support in my comeback race.

"We all know that we have some way to go but we will get there. The season is long."

Agree with the sentiment that it was a very boring race to start the year, I always thought the no refueling was a bad idea. We'll see how it develops though, hopefully it will get more interesting.

AndyD

aka andydumi
GitarooMan said:
Agree with the sentiment that it was a very boring race to start the year, I always thought the no refueling was a bad idea. We'll see how it develops though, hopefully it will get more interesting.

It will be fun at safety cars, a rush to pits and 3 second stops...

I did like the pit lane timer in addition to the pit stopped time.

Bobo

Dull race but it's really nice to see Massa back racing and Alonso in a good car again.

Anyway I found what Martin Whitmarsh was saying on the BBC F1 Forum quite interesting.

Whitmarsh told the BBC that something needed to be done to change the dynamic of the racing - perhaps by revisiting a mandatory two pitstops rule or making tyre compounds more on edge.

"We were one of three teams, that said we should have two mandatory pitstops because we were worried about [people] one-stopping.

"I think we have to re-examine that. But I think if we can now push on Bridgestone to have 'racier' tyres, we need a super-soft tyre that is really going to hurt if you take it to 20 laps. You shouldn't be able to do that with a super-soft tyre and I think even the prime, if it's a struggle to get it to do half a race distance, then you force [the issue].

"The tyres were much closer in the race than we expected and they determined the spectacle," he added. "There was no real serious degradation of the tyres, we started the roll of pitstops because we were trying to get ahead of [Nico] Rosberg and everyone started to come in at that point.

"But otherwise, just based on tyre degradation, we could have run to lap 25 or more on the super-soft tyres. If you can do that on the softest tyre, then the primes are just going to romp through for as long as you like."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82145

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting stuff from Massa - he had issues with fuel consumption
Then I started to have a problem, definitely the whole race in terms of temperature in the car. That made a lot of fuel consumption, so I started to save fuel maybe in the last 25 laps, even 30 laps to go. I was saving fuel and there was nothing to do anymore. I was also lucky with the problem with Sebastian Vettel to pass him and gain some more points and I was lucky that Lewis was not so quick at the end, so I could manage to save a lot of fuel and also hold the position.

Post race conference

Gas guzzling Ferrari engine?

And if you want to remain sane, do not go to Autosport forums.

Steroyd

S. L. said:
pretty much. everyone was just 'managing' their cars over the distance.
yay

Pretty much this, racing for first place takes a back seat to getting the car over the finishing line.

Thinking about it, that means no race can really have two cars going at each other consistently through most of a race, because they'll both bugger up their cars/tyres and the person in third ends up taking the crown.

avaya

Not gas guzzling engine. The problem is the cooling, when the fuel gets hot it vaporises. They need to sort the cooling out.

EDIT:

Making the racing more interesting. Forget banning wings, that will cost the entire grid close to $1bn in lost sponsorship money.

Easy way to fix it is to increase the braking zone - you do this by making them use shittier brakes. When you have a 150m braking zone it is easier to pass than just a 50m zone. It is the simplest change possible. No extra cost.

moojito

avaya said:
Not gas guzzling engine. The problem is the cooling, when the fuel gets hot it vaporises. They need to sort the cooling out.

EDIT:

Making the racing more interesting. Forget banning wings, that will cost the entire grid close to $1bn in lost sponsorship money.

Easy way to fix it is to increase the braking zone - you do this by making them use shittier brakes. When you have a 150m braking zone it is easier to pass than just a 50m zone. It is the simplest change possible. No extra cost.

Would we still have Massa on the grid if they'd had this last year?

avaya

moojito said:
Would we still have Massa on the grid if they'd had this last year?

Yes.

All it would do is bring your speed down across the board. Corner apex speeds would fall at most tracks.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
It was the engine not the exhaust that was the problem for Vettel.
A spark plug fault caused him lose power and the race win.

Bobo

Aegus said:
Or they could just make the cars not as dependant on aerodynamic packages.
While I'll certainly agree with that and with the banning of double deck diffusers next year (correct me if I'm wrong) that should help somewhat, but Whitmarsh was talking more about an immediate fix. I don't think there should be any rash decision either way about the rules at least not until after the Malaysian GP.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just got home from watching, it was alright. Definitely not the most exciting, but some of the commentary was good.

Also it's always great watching it with a friend who loves Robert Kubica. :lol

Pimpwerx

navanman said:
It was the engine not the exhaust that was the problem for Vettel.
A spark plug fault caused him lose power and the race win.
Heh, Lewis called it before RBR announced it. They told him exhaust, but Lewis said Vettel's engine wasn't firing on all banks on team radio. I REALLY love the McLaren website, btw. Awesome balance between that, live timing and the streams provided.

I'd like to know if that new mickey mouse section they threw in offered any new overtaking at all this year. I don't remember the track being quite this boring. The extra length adds nothing...nothing at all. PEACE.

Reno7728

Complain mode: How can so many of the top teams have Senna driving (DSwii and his two non finishing drivers *shakes fist*) :p

Also the prices and money for your teams has been updated, but no changes can be made yet.

Bobo

Reno7728 said:
Complain mode: How can so many of the top teams have Senna driving (DSwii and his two non finishing drivers *shakes fist*) :p
Because they bought the best fuel, Those cheaters. :p *scrapes winnings together to buy better fuel.*

S. L.

Reno7728 said:

Also the prices and money for your teams has been updated, but no changes can be made yet.
the top teams scored with the ferrari fuel i guess

*beaten*
Bobo: Mcl fuel it is next race :D

Pimpwerx

Yeah, I'm 9th. I was worried about TKNO, when I saw his picks, but I guess the chassis engine combo for Force India was just too great. Liuzzi's points finish didn't help me worth shit. I really overestimated the weighting.

Looking at the bonus money and all that, and the adjusted values for each driver, I can't believe I can only afford the same quality team. How much more money to the people at the top have to work with? There's almost 100 points from me to 1st, and I only have $8.5M to play with after with the same team I had this race, with their prices adjusted. Liuzzi, Force India and Shell all went up, obviously...but Chandhok didn't go down. :(

I don't want to be working with scrubby teams all season. I wonder where I rank overall. Ha! 272 / 15147. PEACE.

Bobo

S. L. said:
Bobo: Mcl fuel it is next race :D
I did quite well on the betting but just over 1mil short for shell... there is a bonus question still to come, I guess sometime during the week?

Pimpwerx

Top teams overall were

Sen Kov For For She

I wanted both Force Indias, but couldn't make the numbers work with Liuzzi. I knew Liuzzi could point, so I wanted him, but apparently driver points don't weight enough. Matter of fact, I'd say drivers ain't shit. Next race I'm probably going with the two Lotus drivers (since their cars might actually finish) and then just try to get the best combo with the rest of the parts. PEACE.

EDIT: There's a subleague competition too, and our league is 3rd of 9. Not bad.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pimpwerx said:
Top teams overall were

Sen Kov For For She

I wanted both Force Indias, but couldn't make the numbers work with Liuzzi. I knew Liuzzi could point, so I wanted him, but apparently driver points don't weight enough. Matter of fact, I'd say drivers ain't shit. Next race I'm probably going with the two Lotus drivers (since their cars might actually finish) and then just try to get the best combo with the rest of the parts. PEACE.

EDIT: There's a subleague competition too, and our league is 3rd of 9. Not bad.

I agree with your analysis.

I picked drivers I thought would finish. I thought that weighed more. I thought if a driver is out, he kills your chances at any points.

Next time, more team/engine/fuel oriented picks. 33rd is not bad, but not good either.

Vroom Vroom Australia can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom