• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarybore

S. L. said:
http://www.abload.de/img/f1rankingq4k8.png

I like how nearly everyone below 43 (including myself) can blame Kobayashi. :lol

Currently 49th, got 3 bets correct (Alonso to win, Chandhok to retire first, and a Force India question I think) so it wasn't all bad news. My driver selection for the next race is probably gonna suck unless the question between races provides some serious moolah.

DieH@rd

Banned
S. L. said:
f1rankingq4k8.png

Not bad, im 12th. Fucking Luca De Grasssi totally tanked... :-/ Ive earned 1.2 mil on betting [~9mil total], i have just enough money to buy Trully. Lotus at least finished the race :D

2zsy17d.jpg

There is lot of easy points in FUEL. Sadly, i dont have enough for Trully and better fuel.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just signed up at f1manager, does anyone have any starting tips? The most fantasy stuff I've done was just an F1 pick 'em last year.

DarkJC

I'm sitting 10th in the league :D

Got 4 of the bets right to the tune of 1.6 million, so glad I changed to Force India Engine/Chassis and Petronas fuel at the last minute about an hour before qualifying (wish I had picked shell instead though :lol). Both my drivers did pretty bad (Kov and di Grassi), not sure where I'm going to make changes to things yet.

Pimpwerx

AcridMeat said:
Just signed up at f1manager, does anyone have any starting tips? The most fantasy stuff I've done was just an F1 pick 'em last year.
Put more money into engine/chassis/oil and then pick your drivers afterwards. IMO, Lotus seems like a sure bet (for drivers). Not sure about STR if Newey made it. Otherwise, make your bets and picks by the end of Saturday practice. Dare I say, it's actually worth watching Sat. practice if you want to be serious about it. That's what made me make the changes I did.

And fwiw, it looks like Force India is the way to do early on. They have pace, they have a reliable Mercedes, and they have two competent drivers. Liuzzi may have gotten a short stint in F1, but he wasn't garbage by any means. He was a sight better than Piquet Jr. IMO. PEACE.

S. L.

zaxor0 said:
looks like im 31st, ah well. I'm not surprised, not too knowledgeable on f1.
eh it was a gamble for everyone.
number 57/Venus i would believe the lack of knowledge (sorry who you are :lol )

AcridMeat

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Put more money into engine/chassis/oil and then pick your drivers afterwards. IMO, Lotus seems like a sure bet (for drivers). Not sure about STR if Newey made it. Otherwise, make your bets and picks by the end of Saturday practice. Dare I say, it's actually worth watching Sat. practice if you want to be serious about it. That's what made me make the changes I did.

Thanks, wasn't expecting that drivers are the least important but that makes it more interesting. It might be tough to be competitive because I don't have speed, but we'll see. What is the NeoGaf subleague?

edit: How does betting work?

AcridMeat said:
Thanks, wasn't expecting that drivers are the least important but that makes it more interesting. It might be tough to be competitive because I don't have speed, but we'll see. What is the NeoGaf subleague?

You get extra points for making bets, getting the race winner correct, pole position, etc.

Chris R

The real reason the extra track was added was to make an outer/inner track possible. Now all the oil rich folk in their fancy cars have something to do on weekends.

Too bad KERS is gone. IndyCar's push to pass system works great IMO.

Pimpwerx

AcridMeat said:

Name: NeoGAF
Pass: gaffers

Bets are under the tab "Bets" and you just answer some questions relating to the upcoming racing. You predict who's finish on the podium, pole and some other questions. It's the way to make extra money for your team. And trust me...you'll want it. PEACE.

Dibbz

lol I'm last in the fantasy league. Not bad :lol

I think I really need to put some bets down next time to get some money though.

Also why are people still posting F1 stuff in the motorsport thread? We need to stop using that thread for F1 or stop this one. It's stupid to have F1 news and discussion in two threads.

Frawdder

48th in the league - FER-GP. Vettel's engine troubles stuffed up my betting (Vettel, Alonso, Webber) but I got some on the questions. Kubica as a driver was probably a bad choice, should've gone for better chassis, engine and fuel rather than a higher profile driver. Seems as though we've all learnt something after the weekend and I can't wait until two weeks time.

AcridMeat

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Name: NeoGAF
Pass: gaffers

Bets are under the tab "Bets" and you just answer some questions relating to the upcoming racing. You predict who's finish on the podium, pole and some other questions. It's the way to make extra money for your team. And trust me...you'll want it. PEACE.

Thanks, sorry for bringing the subleague score down by joining without points for Bahrain but I'll make up for it. :lol

DarkJC

Dibbz said:
lol I'm last in the fantasy league. Not bad :lol

I think I really need to put some bets down next time to get some money though.

Also why are people still posting F1 stuff in the motorsport thread? We need to stop using that thread for F1 or stop this one. It's stupid to have F1 news and discussion in two threads.

Bets are free to place and take a few seconds to answer, and unless you have terrible luck you should get at least one right even if you're just guessing.

jey_16

Banned
the ban on refueling means that the teams are going to try and stay out on the track as long as possible which means conserving tyres....so unless the advantage of coming in for a new set is greater then the time lost in the pits....nobody is going to do it until somebody actually manages to make it work

the fact that they need to conserve tyres and fuel so much basically means that this season is going to be like every other season for the past 10 years or even worse!.....unless you are way faster then the guy in front, you wont be able to overtake him and just being in the dirty air will destroy the tyres

i really hope i'm wrong though.....Melbourne should be better i think

They need to make some changes immediately or this whole season will be an endurance borefest.

First they need to get rid of the stupid tyre rule atrocity for Q3. I want to see all drivers giving their best in the qualifying damnit!
Then they need to get rid of the rule that a team has to use two different components during the race. It's a shame that F1 has such a gimmicky rule to artificialy spice things up.
The last thing is that Bridgestone has to deliver tyres that will force the teams to do 2, better 3 stops per race.

In the future the FIA should not only think about rule changes that reduce downforce and dirty air but also about changes that make driving the cars much harder again and get rid of gimmicks like steering wheels with 100 buttons. When i watch old videos from when refuelling was banned and compare with yesterday the biggest difference is that back in the days the drivers had some serious work to do behind the steering wheel. That alone made F1 a lot more spectacular. Yesterday everybody seemed to be on a relaxed promotional trip.

Press lash out at Bore-rain GP
The British press lashed out at F1's new formula, after the sensationally-billed 2010 season opener in Bahrain proved a questionable spectacle.

Drivers and insiders are blaming the refuelling ban, with most cars adopting similar race strategies at the Sakhir circuit and then being unable to follow their rivals closely enough to overtake.
Red Bull's Mark Webber blamed the rule makers, asking scathingly: "Why do they keep dicking with it?"
The Daily Telegraph's Kevin Garside agreed, arguing that Bahrain was a "warning of the dangers of tinkering beyond repair".
The Fleet Street tabloid The Sun predictably slammed the 'Bore-rain GP', with the Daily Mail adding: "The FIA and teams must look at the problem urgently and see what can be tweaked.

"The sport is in danger of missing out on its greatest bonanza. There are four champions on the grid, all in competitive cars. The racing should be sparkling rather than as dry as the desert."
The foreign press was less vociferous in its condemnation, but even Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport - delighted with the Ferrari one-two - had to mention the lack of fizz.

"Looking at it objectively, this new and highly anticipated F1 produced a rather boring race, with very few passes and most of the field bunched at the back," read the sports daily.

"But Sakhir is an odd track -- we'll see how the season unfolds."
France's L'Equipe said it was "unanimous" that Bahrain "was deadly dull", while Auto Hebdo insisted it is "too early to say" the new rules have failed, "but the lack of excitement did not go unnoticed".
Germany's Bild quoted Adrian Sutil's father Jorge as saying: "Next time I will take with me something to read."
Michael Schumacher and race winner Fernando Alonso predicted more of the same in 2010, and reigning world champion Jenson Button played down Alain Prost's claim that the new generation will adjust to the formula that was last in place 17 years ago.

"It's not like the old days," said the Briton. "We have so much more downforce. You could follow cars (back) then. You could slide up the inside. You could race. It's very different now."
Source

mrklaw

MrArseFace
4th in the fantasy league!

race was boring, nodded off a few times during the middle part. I thought there was an opportunity for the lack of refuelling to shake things up a bit. In theory the teams should have been watching for when the right time was to switch tyres - a bit like in a wet race that is drying out. But most seemed to pick a similar window.

Same basic problem, the cars can't follow each other. They need to address that urgently. Massive slick tyres, minimal downforce. Mechanical grip > aero based grip

mclem

23rd, I'll take that. 2M euros from the bets, I'll *definitely* take that!

Didn't realise I got cash for points, too. With 6M more in the bank I might be able to do a bit of trading up between races.

F1 needs:
-less rear downforce and an end to double defusers.

-the formula should have a design for blasting 'dirty air' above the car and not into the face of the following car. NO INTERUPUTATION.

-smaller wings

-new tire tech that doesnt throw off balls of rubber that if you collect some, your lap time is instantly down 1second.
also it would mean an end to a 'groove' on the circuit and give drivers the possibility to go off line.

these 3 would be enough.

Flo_Evans

I need to drop Bruno Senna from my team like a bad habit. I also had the Hispania engine, bad news :lol

I did hit some bets though, called Hamilton in 3rd and barley missed Alonso in 2nd. I thought Shumi would do better but he is a little rusty it seems. Getting beat by Nico Rosberg?? Did not see that coming!

Race itself was pretty boring but the fantasy league made it more exciting! :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
Clearly chose the wrong fuel in the fantasy thing. Should've gone for the one with three teams. Can't see why I didn't now.

Pimpwerx

Wow! I'm not surprised at the backlash to Bahrain. Many on here predicted it would be a dull race. No one liked the change to the track, and Tilke's vanilla designs rarely result in good racing. I like Webber's bluntness, "Why do they keep dicking with it?"

The racing action was great the last few seasons, it was just that (1) stewards were WAY too overbearing and (2) qualifying was broken because of the parc ferme rule. All they needed to do was fix qualies (which they did) and tell the stewards to sit and spin, because we want good racing.

I don't know if it's the refueling so much as the aero regs and the stupid tire rules. But whatever the case may be, I think some people are gonna be sorely disappointed come Melbourne. My memory isn't failing me when I say that Melbourne is even more processional than Bahrain. I remember Trulli keeping a Ferrari that was almost 2 seconds quicker a lap behind him. Same with Webber. Wide cars have it easy at Melbourne. I expect that race to be a snoozer too. As noted, 4 champions on the grid should result in nothing less than epic win each race.

On a plus note, the fantasy league has made it more exciting. Even when the race became a parade, I was watching the lower end of the grid to see how some of my teams and drivers were doing. Definitely a good idea, and kudos to whoever suggested it. PEACE.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pimpwerx said:
On a plus note, the fantasy league has made it more exciting. Even when the race became a parade, I was watching the lower end of the grid to see how some of my teams and drivers were doing. Definitely a good idea, and kudos to whoever suggested it. PEACE.

I fully agree. I yelled when the STR died with one lap to go because I had picked STR in my fantasy league. :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
McLaren seems to be very pleased with performance and they should very soon catch RBR and Ferrari. Whitmarsh said for AMuS that they screwed qualifing setup (it was more race set up)

Mercedes is struggling abit, but they are planning new parts for every race, with main package (almost B spec) for first European race.

It will be much more interesting in Australia. How is the weather like down under? Rain?

avaya

~20 degrees expected for Melbourne.

The constant bullshit tinkering of the rules for utterly pointless reasons. Cost cutting is the biggest horsehshit ever seen.

F1 reached it's peak viewership shares under the era of refuelling. Cars were light. The looked like they were on the limit when they raced. They did not look like giant breezeblocks trundling along.

This weekend was different for me. For the first time I had two teams to support. However even as Ferrari stormed over the, yet again typically brittle Newey design, and cruised to victory I was the least bit interested. The race was that fucking dull. In over 20yrs of following this penis contest I have never been as bored out of my fucking mind.

Refuelling is almost always better because if you can't overtake, you will always have an opportunity to do something about since you have to stop.

Issues that detract from the show.

Limited to 11 tyres? WTF? Bridgestone pay for the fucking things and during the Ferraristone era they spent more on one test than they do on an entire season right now. Bleeding edge competition is no more. This is now total bullshit.

The less tyres teams have, the more they have to ration their running. Less track time. Spectators pay through the nose to watch cars in the garage. Well done.

Engines....fuck this 8 engine pikey bullshit. Same thing again. Endurance engines means less track time. They barely have more bhp than a GP2 car. 1,000bhp+ 20,000rpm 3.0litre screaming V10 micro engine was the peak of F1 engineering excellence. The engines of 2004 will never be bettered at this rate, even those were limited by a 1 per weekend rule.

The double diffuser issue was the result of Mosley yet again using the ICA to further his personal goals of trying to split the teams. It was an absolute bullshit ruling, everyone knows it. The fact they didn't bother to ban them this year is horrendous. Any car with a DD is extremely difficult to pass because the turbulence produced is amplified.

The aero rules of 2003 were perfectly fine. Go back and watch those races. That season was the best of the entire decade. 8 different winners, 4 different championship contenders.

Two strong tyre suppliers....this is the answer to the overtaking riddle. Brakes and tyres make the biggest differences. I have always been for a single tyre supplier since it closes up grids very quickly. Since we now want to have hobbyists in the competition with their plastic shitboxes and shit drivers who cares about equalising grids.

Make it 2 or 3 tyre supplier. Michelin will be back for that shit. Bridgestone would stay for that shit. I want to see the return of the tyre war.

We will get shit loads of overtaking.

Dibbz

I'm not sure what I think of the no refueling. It's good because more is needed from the drivers to keep the tires in check, but cars are slow to begin with instead of constantly hitting fast laps.

I'll have to wait and see more races before I pass judgment on the no refueling though.

Can someone explain why Bridgestone would want to leave if they are the sole tire supplier? Shouldn't it be a good thing for them if everyone was using their tires?

DarkJC

avaya said:
Yes. There is no point being a sole tyre supplier.

EDIT:

Tyre war. This is the result. Crazy shit overtaking on a DRY track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwEHpfrUsY&feature=related

The V10 engine note....it is so beautiful.

All I've gotta say is wow. Wish I was watching F1 back then. Seems like I picked a terrible year to get interested if the races stay as boring as Bahrain :(

Oh well, there's always the fantasy league to keep things interesting :lol

Can someone explain why Bridgestone would want to leave if they are the sole tire supplier? Shouldn't it be a good thing for them if everyone was using their tires?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're actually paying for all the tires.

DarkJC said:
All I've gotta say is wow. Wish I was watching F1 back then. Seems like I picked a terrible year to get interested if the races stay as boring as Bahrain :(

Oh well, there's always the fantasy league to keep things interesting :lol

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're actually paying for all the tires.
You'll love this video featuring some of the best overtaking manoeuvres of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThckDR0XDcY&feature=related

This is one of the greatest duels of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu9T9B1Rg00&feature=fvw

Hakkinen on Schumacher at Spa in 2000, nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5h-HTv9d4c

TylerD

Bernie is batshit insane to suggest the possibility of shortcuts that drivers could use X number of times per race. :lol

There is a serious problem when quicker cars can not get around slower cars due to dirty air.

I only started following F1 in 2007 so I have not seen any of this amazing racing and overtaking that I hear so much about. I would have to say my main draw to F1 right now is the technology and the spectacle of the events. That 2003 video from the Britain GP was epic. The matador was ridiculous!

I found this thread that lists overtaking data and statistics since 1983. It is pretty interesting to see how changes affected overtaking throughout the years.

http://www.cliptheapex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=822

Sauber request name change
"We will submit an application for a chassis name change, but the timing has yet to be decided," he said when asked by AUTOSPORT about the naming situation. "It will happen some time this season."

The BMW Sauber team is currently without a title sponsor for 2010, and Sauber admitted that his outfit was unlikely to get one now until next year.

"We have still a white car unfortunately, because it is impossible to find sponsors during January and February - especially big sponsors," he explained about the team's financial situation.

"Today we are looking for sponsors for the 2011 season. I hope we will find some sponsors for this season."

Sauber expressed some hope, however, that if the outfit concluded a deal for 2011 it may be able to bring the sponsorship forward into this season.

"If we find a title sponsor for 2011 in the middle of the year then maybe we can have them for this season too," he said.
Source

Coulthard: Mosley to blame
"I hope Max Mosley, watching from his ivory tower after relinquishing his post as president last autumn, enjoyed the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday," Coulthard, now an expert pundit for British television, wrote in a column in the Telegraph.

Coulthard, a winner of 13 grands prix, said F1 fans can also blame "revs limited to 18,000rpm", "standardised gearboxes and engines" and the "single tyre supplier".

He said those measures were all championed by Mosley and "appear to have done little for the show if Bahrain is anything to go on".
Source

FOTA to discuss Formula Bore situation
A meeting of the F1 teams association FOTA is expected to discuss the issue of boring races during a conference on Tuesday, according to Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell.

The saga in the wake of Sunday's 2010 opener, with the new refuelling ban blamed for the lack of on-track action, has some figures calling for the sport to react immediately.
Source

German press hit back at Italian press over Schumacher
After the former Ferrari driver finished sixth behind his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg, the Genoa-based Il Secolo XIX newspaper crowned him the "world champion of arrogance".

La Gazzetta dello Sport praised Alonso for cutting "the umbilical cord that tied Ferrari to the Schumacher era".
The widely circulated German daily Bild Zeitung hit back: "Just as there are bad losers, it is also possible to be a bad winner".

The newspaper pointed out that the Italians failed to mention that its "double victory" only took place due to "Vettel's technical problems".

And the German weekly Sport Bild added: "Does Schumacher really deserve this (criticism)?"

Rome-based Corriere dello Sport said: "There was no disgrace (in Schumacher's performance), but he doesn't deserve much praise, either."
Source

Vettel: Alonso wouldn't have passed me
"In the car I had no idea," Sebastian told the official F1 website of his sudden technical problem. "I just realised that there was a dramatic lack of speed. At some moments if came back again but on the straights there was a fundamental difference to the car before and after Lap 33. The fourth place is somewhat damage limitation but until that hapless lap it was really our race.

"We were better at dealing with the tyres than everybody else. Fernando tried to attack but realised shortly after that he would destroy his tyres in doing so, so it would have been our day." Admitting that to lose a race from car problems provoked a sense of déjà vu, following a number of failures which arguably lost him the title last year, Vettel carries a large amount of confidence into the second race in Melbourne.

"We know that we have a great car - that we are very competitive - in qualifying and in the race," he began to conclude. "Until 16 laps before the chequered flag, the race was 100 percent coming our way, so we have to avoid issues and then we're in a very good shape - that bolsters the self-confidence for the next rounds."
Source

Bernie: There's no panic

1268730773.jpg

"There is no panic, no crisis for F1," said Ecclestone in the wake of the controversy caused by the far from enthralling Bahrain GP. "I think there is nothing we can do immediately and we should not just knee-jerk into changes.

"We are involved in four flyaway races just now so let's see how the teams adapt and look at it again after China."

Ecclestone believes that Bahrain's chance of delivering excitement may have been hit by the fact that teams were getting themselves used to new rules.

"The first race with new regulations was always going to be a learning curve for them all," he explained. "Now they know they can make improvements and be a bit bolder and we will get more action."

A lot of the comments from team principals after the race suggested the sport should focus on making changes to the tyre regulations – perhaps by forcing drivers to make two mandatory stops during a grand prix.

However, Ecclestone thinks other tyres rules should be looked at – including forcing teams to have available just one soft compound tyre for the race.

"Some might wonder why the teams have options on tyres at all," he said. "Maybe if we only gave them a soft compound they would have to stop twice, but I am not sure that they will vote unanimously for a mandatory two-stop race which Red Bull proposed.

"It is basically the same problem we have had for the last few years about downforce and cars not being able to get close to the one in front to create more overtaking.

"The teams know this but they won't do anything about it because each team looks after its own interests: trying to win.

"I had a meeting with the teams and tried to explain to them what our business is about - racing and entertaining the public. It's not about playing with computers and going fast over one lap."
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom