• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Hamilton running more downforce would also preserve his tyres better, right?

Is Red Bull not running their flexi wing?

Pimpwerx said:
1. HD. F1 deserves to be broadcast in HD. I'm not sure what the foot-dragging is about, but I thought I read a rumor that next season would be in HD. I hope so.
HD really unlocks great detail in sports. F1 would be beautiful in high definition, and it's puzzling why we don't have it yet.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
McLaren is so much faster than everyone else so far and again both drivers have nearly identical times.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
navanman said:
Red bull are pretty close actually now, only 2 tenths off so far.
Track is improving, but Mclaren is yet to do low fuel, soft tyre runs.

Lewis is happy with the car

S. L.

i guess it's time to pull out the excel sheet to do some calculations

think i'll ditch captain boring (Button) for Vettel or Alonso, but keep the rest McL

edit:
this is really tricky. I think Vettel will qualify faster than Alonso, but with his Speed disadvantage i don't think he will be able to overtake anyone in case of a start fubar. On the other hand Alonso looks really fast in Sector 1 and 2 and is also a pretty good overtaker.

Also think Button picked the wrong setup here.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Monza is short, fast circut, so time differences are quite small - 12 drivers in 1 second!. But we will see, i still think that Mclaren can get 1-2.

But i have to go to work in 20 minutes, so i will miss quolies :(

Goldrusher

John_B said:
HD really unlocks great detail in sports. F1 would be beautiful in high definition, and it's puzzling why we don't have it yet.
Bernie says few tv stations are interested.
Which translates to: he wants to charge more for HD, even though the tv rights are already absurdly insanely expensive.

Juicy Bob

ApocalypseKilgore1.jpg

I love the smell of grid penalties in the morning.

moojito

S. L. said:
mmmmm should habe went with alonso instead of vettel

I think Alonso has been really random and unpredictable this season. I'd say picking him for a fantasy team is a big gamble regardless of qualifying performance. Mind you, the same can be said for Vettel!

Timbuktu

Well done Button. Bad set-up? Makes things more interesting too.

Alonso has been awesome. Maybe vettel will take Hamilton out this weekend.

Pimpwerx

Fuck Fonso. Lewis went with the wrong setup for qualies, but looking at the trap speeds, he's got the better setup for the race. The Ferraris were faster in S3 traps, but neither Ferrari nor RBR is quicker in any other sector or on the final straight. So I'm hoping he's primed to pick off Webber at the start, maybe Massa, and then overtake Jenson and Fernando in the race.

Yeah...totally optimistic there, but I don't have much to be excited about right now. My fantasy picks are #2 and #5 on the grid, and my favorite driver got outqualified by his teammate. It should be an awesome race though.

Bah...let me give Ferrari credit for coming out strong this weekend. I'm kinda impressed. But they are the last team I want to see win anything right now. Time to take a nap before my Gators play. PEACE.

Lince

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Fuck Fonso. Lewis went with the wrong setup for qualies, but looking at the trap speeds, he's got the better setup for the race.

"Lewis, Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm that you understand this message?"

Leonsito

Alonso will make a good start and keep P1 for the entire race, Hamilton is going to pass Massa at the start and later in the race Button will let him pass for a mere $100K.

navanman

Should be an interesting first 3-4 laps.
Ferrari and McLaren are great starters off the grid whereas RBR are vulnerable.
I expect Hamilton to take Webber and maybe Massa at the start as he is on the clean side of the track.
Button has a chance to get Alonso as his high downforce setup should give him a better start.

navanman

What I'm really looking forward to see is, what the RBR car is like when its not streaking away after locking out the front row and how good are Webber and Vettel at overtaking cars of similar performance.

Leunam

Great result for Ferrari. This is the race that determines whether they maintain focus on this year or change gears to focus on next years car.

Pimpwerx

Well, looks like Lewis admits no f-duct was a mistake. He also commented on the trap speed, but if it's only a couple miles an hour difference, he's gonna have a hell of a time pulling close enough. Funny thing is I was hoping he'd choose no f-duct, because I thought the straightline speed would be more-important for the race. But when Button went with a different decision, I immediately second-guessed it. Button has made some very good calls this season...championship decisions. I continue to be impressed with him. I've begrudgingly thrown away the Benson tag for good now. Too bad too, because I liked it. :D PEACE.

navanman said:
What I'm really looking forward to see is, what the RBR car is like when its not streaking away after locking out the front row and how good are Webber and Vettel at overtaking cars of similar performance.

I think we all know the answer to that.

Seanspeed

Banned
navanman said:
Button has a chance to get Alonso as his high downforce setup should give him a better start.
Downforce comes into play at higher speeds, which means that from 0 to 50/60mph, its ALL about traction. Downforce will not help Jenson get a better start.

Plus, Jenson is on the dirty side of the grid and has a 11kp/h disadvantage in straight line speed to Alonso.

His only hope is that Alonso gets a mediocre/bad start and he gets a good one. Either that, or just get a good start and keep himself in line to use his downforce to effect under braking(which also has the chance of going disasterously wrong if he misjudges it).

I think Button will have to worry more about defending from Massa at the start than overtaking Alonso.

navanman said:
It'll be very hard for them because they are not faster in a straight line than anybody around them except Jenson.

And even then, they still have a lap time deficit to Mclaren just by virtue of their car not being as good here.

They've also had to resort to a low downforce configuration which will hurt them under braking and following another car through the Parabolica.

All in all, its a bit much to judge them by this race, where their car has a compromised package and they are 3rd best car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom