• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

Templar Wizard said:
FUCK eddie jordan and his bullshit opinion, none of us have forgotten him 'robbin' us of a race between Ralf and Damon Hill with HIS team orders.

Sir, I disagree. There's a world of difference between telling your drivers to hold position near the end of a race to secure your first ever Grand Prix victory and telling an emotionally-fragile driver, who's leading a race exactly a year after he was almost killed in one of your cars, to move out of the way for their team-mate in the 11th race of a 19-round championship when there's only 35 points difference between them.

Son.

you are putting too much of a 'personality' spin on the situation. so fucking what if massa was nearly killed, he wasnt forced to get back into the car.

Also, the rule is unenforcable, because its a common practice. So for jordan to come out with his muppet comment to get some headlines, even though he knows/knew/experienced the reality is complete fucking drivel.

the cat is out of the house SON

Cigol

Templar Wizard said:
Son.

you are putting too much of a 'personality' spin on the situation. so fucking what if massa was nearly killed, he wasnt forced to get back into the car.

Also, the rule is unenforcable, because its a common practice. So for jordan to come out with his muppet comment to get some headlines, even though he knows/knew/experienced the reality is complete fucking drivel.

the cat is out of the house SON
He is just playing devils advocate, hamming it up for the camera. They joke about his 'opinions' all the time on the F1 forum. Don't see anything wrong with that since Coulthard, Brundle (et al) take a position that's more lenient and Jake isn't really allowed to have an opinion - so its left to Eddie.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Igo said:
I wonder when Massa found out about the engine disparity. Would be hilarious if he just now found out.

Where's that picture of his giving ALonso the death stare? :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Massa said:
On the subject, I'm really fucking glad this decision came out now as I have time to cancel my F1 2010 pre-order. Not giving any money to these idiots.
Well, maybe Ferrari will get some karma treatment at home race with double DNF ...

newsflash:

if a driver wants to overtake another driver, he will usually turn his engine up. also different drivers have different engine management race strategies. this is one of the extra elements to F1 races that most 'forum experts' miss.

Templar Wizard said:
newsflash:

if a driver wants to overtake another driver, he will usually turn his engine up. also different drivers have different engine management race strategies. this is one of the extra elements to F1 races that most 'forum experts' miss.

:lol I'm almost speechless. Please educate us some more.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Back on topic, FP1 at Monza get under-way in less than 30 minutes.
Really looking forward to this race and seeing if we have a surprise team, package getting in the mix for podium.

navanman

DrM said:
Weather: Sunny with scattered clouds and quite warm (21 degrees Celsius) for all days.

Cool, should give the teams some useful data from Friday practice seeing as last few have been ruined by wet weather.

Juicy Bob

Those who'd like a BBC stream, PM me.

McLaren and Ferrari running HUGE levels of rear wing for this track. Surely the f-duct can't work that well.

navanman

Juicy Bob said:
Those who'd like a BBC stream, PM me.

McLaren and Ferrari running HUGE levels of rear wing for this track. Surely the f-duct can't work that well.

The McLaren wing is huge. Must be running a test to see is the f-duct worth it.
Maybe we will see a smaller wing in FP2.

navanman

FP1 over now. Its looking good for McLaren so far.
They ran with loads of rear wing and were nowhere near fastest in speed traps but still topped the session.

navanman

BBC have confirmed that Hamilton is going to do FP2 with no f-duct. Lets see how he goes and his speed trap settings are.

Button is top of the time sheets again at the moment, running with F-duct and higher downforce which he prefers.

Goldrusher

161830.jpg

161814.jpg

It's like McLaren is using Monaco-spec wings.

navanman

That difference in angle is gigantic and must be giving lots more rear downforce but some drag also even with McLaren's great f-duct system.

navanman

Missed the end of FP2. Vettel and Ferrari top the time sheets but I think McLaren are still way faster than anyone else.

The trio only went faster than Button & Hamilton on a low fuel run on soft tyres at the end of the session, otherwise McLaren were 0.7 seconds faster than the rest.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sounds like a full McLaren lineup would be beneficial for or fantasy totals. Provided there are no reliability surprises.

Pimpwerx

Holy shit at the amount of McLaren wing in that pic. Friday practices are pretty much out of the question as long as I keep this job, but I gotta get paid. I have already gone all McLaren this week, but missing two bonus questions and forgetting to setup my team last race means I'm short on money. I can only afford Hamilton and Sutil. No way I trade Total's points to seat Button. SL has this season in the bag unless he makes a mistake. I'm gonna focus on securing my 2nd place right now.

For an analogy, SL has currently cut his revs and is in fuel-saving mode while I'm trying to turn in some purple sectors to escape the riff-raff behind me. :D PEACE.

S. L.

McLaren should have this weekend in the bag

Pimpwerx said:
Holy shit at the amount of McLaren wing in that pic. Friday practices are pretty much out of the question as long as I keep this job, but I gotta get paid. I have already gone all McLaren this week, but missing two bonus questions and forgetting to setup my team last race means I'm short on money. I can only afford Hamilton and Sutil. No way I trade Total's points to seat Button. SL has this season in the bag unless he makes a mistake. I'm gonna focus on securing my 2nd place right now.

For an analogy, SL has currently cut his revs and is in fuel-saving mode while I'm trying to turn in some purple sectors to escape the riff-raff behind me. :D PEACE.
i just switched everything to McL including Drivers (except Total fuel) and have about 25.000.000 left :p
not including this weeks bonus question heh

Animal

Banned
Mclaren are looking for a cornering grip advantage. They are gambling that the F-duct will give the rear wing a drag signature like the traditional low-downforce Monza/Montreal wing when in a straight while having high downforce in a corner. This is definitely a new iteration of their F-duct system and they definitely have the engine to gamble this. Interesting.

AndyD

aka andydumi
S. L. said:

i just switched everything to McL including Drivers (except Total fuel) and have about 25.000.000 left :p

Sweet Jebus. I would have to trade down to McL fuel and then I think barely be able to go full McL, so I think I will stick with Total and just one McL driver.

S. L.

AndyD said:
Sweet Jebus. I would have to trade down to McL fuel and then I think barely be able to go full McL, so I think I will stick with Total and just one McL driver.
it's pretty hard to gain places in the overall league now thou. I'm pretty much stuck at 10th position as the top 20 or so mostly go with the same strategy.

navanman

S. L. said:
it's pretty hard to gain places in the overall league now thou. I'm pretty much stuck at 10th position as the top 20 or so mostly go with the same strategy.

I'm aiming for 10th in the league. I'm a few places back but going to try and risky gamble tomorrow.

S. L.

navanman said:
I'm aiming for 10th in the league. I'm a few places back but going to try and risky gamble tomorrow.
subleague over overall?
if sub, you should aim for 6th. with the grand prize (baseballcaps :lol ) and all ;P

AndyD

aka andydumi
S. L. said:

Yep.

I am just trying to stay in the top half. I missed a few setups about a third of the way through the season and my rank plumetted and lost out on a lot of money with unfillled bonus questions.

Still a lot of fun though. I cant wait for a 20 race fantasy league next year.

Dead Man

S. L. said:

Holy crap, you must be loaded. I finally got to a setup I can be pretty confident in no matter what, Total fuel, McLaren/RBR engine/chassis, Webber and Hamilton for drivers. I have about $1000 left! :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
According to Mclaren drivers, they have evaluated two different downforce setups and they will decide which one will be the best option.

navanman

Its has to be the setup that gives you best straight line speed. Far too dangerous in a race with fully fuelled car IMO.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis said:
With and without the F-duct was pretty similar for us. We have two [downforce] levels, one is slower down the straights but quicker in the corners, and the other one is quicker down the straights but slower through the corners and they pretty much balance themselves out. Its pretty much deciding which one's better on high fuel and whether there's more potential in one setting than the other.
More on Autosport

Pimpwerx

I was thinking about the current state of F1 and all the room for improvement. What could the FIA do to make the spectacle better for fans at home?

1. HD. F1 deserves to be broadcast in HD. I'm not sure what the foot-dragging is about, but I thought I read a rumor that next season would be in HD. I hope so.

2. More in-car. I can't get enough in-car with the telemetry on the screen. When they first introduced it a few years ago, it was used extensively. For some reason, they've cut back on that. I like the pit radio use, but I want more in-car.

3. A footwork camera. WRC videos are amazing to watch with the entrancing dance the drivers do on the pedals. F1's more on/off with the pedals, but I'd love to see how Michael uses the pedals into and out of corners.

4. Youtube. WTF is wrong with the FIA removing so many highlight clips? If they had a goddamn YT channel, no one would need to post copyrighted footage. A highlight reel of the race and individual clips of noteworthy moments in the race are almost essential. With their shitty SD feed, it's not like they're losing quality with streamed video. The videos on the official site are only two (a race recap and an onboard that might or might not be the pole lap). It's as barebones as it gets.

There might be more things I can think of, but these are more-urgent for me. The footwork pedal is the least-important, but the other 3 need to happen. F1 is great to watch, but only because I have a love for the sport. The presentation of the sport varies from average to bad, depending on which broadcast you're watching. And chances are, you're stuck with just one station in your country.

The FIA needs to treat their prized cow like the treasure it is. They need to look around at the other major sports (NFL, NBA, EPL, etc...) that have all made the digital jump with good results. For a series that only broadcasts events every other week or so, they have tons of time to plan, and the budget is well within range. It sucks that the sport is run by money-grubbing asshats. PEACE.

moojito

Yip, good ideas there. When I watch the races on the bbc website, I have the map of the circuit open in another window showing where all the cars are in real time, as well. It adds a ton more to the experience. I don't know how it'd be possible to include something like that into a normal tv broadcast, though. As far as the bbc coverage goes, an extension of that showing split times would be awesome.

Leunam

0ZvET.png

Few of the current tracks are worthy enough to follow a weekend at Spa, so it takes a classic circuit like Monza to take up the task. One of the few legendary circuits still on the F1 calendar, the Italian Grand Prix brings drivers close to the home of Ferrari. Expect unique configurations on everyones machines for this race, particularly for the rear wing.

2G0Zn.png

QGOtk.png

The Italian Grand Prix (Gran Premio d'Italia) is one of the longest running events on the motor racing calendar. The first Italian Grand Prix motor racing championship took place on 4 September 1921 at Brescia. However, the race is more closely associated with the course at Monza, which was built in 1922 in time for that year's race, and has been the location for most of the races over the years.

The 1923 race included one of Harry A. Miller's rare European appearances with his single seat "American Miller 122" driven by Count Louis Zborowski of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fame.

The Italian Grand Prix counted toward the European Championship from 1935 to 1938. It was designated the European Grand Prix seven times between 1923 and 1967, when this title was an honorary designation given each year to one grand prix race in Europe. The Italian Grand Prix was also one of the inaugural Formula One championship races in 1950, and has been held every year since then. The only other championship race for which this is true is the British Grand Prix.

After winning the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher announced his retirement from Formula 1 racing at the end of the 2006 season. Kimi Räikkönen replaced him at Ferrari from the start of the 2007 season. At the 2008 Italian Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel became the youngest driver in history to win a Formula One Grand Prix. Aged 21 years and 74 days, Vettel broke the record set by Fernando Alonso at the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix by 317 days as he won in wet conditions at Monza. Vettel led for the majority of the Grand Prix and crossed the finish line 12.5 seconds ahead of McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen. Earlier in the weekend, he had already become the youngest polesitter, after setting the fastest times in both Q2 and Q3 qualifying stages. His win also gave him the record of youngest podium-finisher. Uncertainty grew over the fact that Monza would continue to host the race as Rome had signed a deal to host Formula One from 2012. On 18 March 2010 however, Bernie Ecclestone and the Monza track managers signed a deal which meant that the race will be held there until at least 2016.

The Italian Grand Prix in recent years has been labeled as a jinx to the winning driver. Over the past two decades, only Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher have won the Italian Grand Prix and gone on to win the world championship in the same year. The last year that the winner of the Italian Grand Prix won the world championship is 2003.

Onboard Lap

Onboard lap of the Autodromo Nazionale Monza courtesy of Ferrari driver Felipe Massa.

h5XoS.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Adrian Sutil - Force India-Mercedes - 1:24.739
Most Wins
Michael Schumacher - 5
Most Wins for Constructor
Ferrari - 18

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from Italian GP from 1996 through 2001
Clips from 1971 Italian GP

Previous Winners

4dP7L.png

Drivers Championship Standings

vfoJg.png

Constructors Championship Standings

laBNU.png

NeoGAF Championship Standings

FZeto.png

Last Minute News

Ferrari receive no more punishment on team order charge
FIA rejects new team applications
Formula 1 sponsors form alliance
Korea venue 'needs a lot of work' before FIA inspection
Sebastien Vettel Q & A: I will always go for it
Friday practice - selected team and driver quotes
Renault on how to master Monza

DrM

Redmond's Baby
From Mclaren's twitter:
Lewis will continue running the low-downforce car while Jenson will be using the F-duct version. Split programme - exciting!

Looking at times from FP1 and FP2, Mclaren looks very very strong on long runs with full car. And they could easily snapped 1-2 on FP2, but they had some more important stuff to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom