• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

Straight line top end speed is one thing, acceleration off the start is something else. Even the commentators were saying that once Button reaches 50mph he'll have a huge advantage. I'm not sure how long the start line -> first corner distance is, but I doubt they'll be getting anywhere near top speed.

On a seperate note, I was watching highlights of the 1998 GP when Hakkinen spun off, threw his car into reverse, got back onto the track and continued on his merry way. That was some Jason Bourne shit right there! :D

Jinjo

Seanspeed said:
Downforce comes into play at higher speeds, which means that from 0 to 50/60mph, its ALL about traction. Downforce will not help Jenson get a better start.

Plus, Jenson is on the dirty side of the grid and has a 11kp/h disadvantage in straight line speed to Alonso.

His only hope is that Alonso gets a mediocre/bad start and he gets a good one. Either that, or just get a good start and keep himself in line to use his downforce to effect under braking(which also has the chance of going disasterously wrong if he misjudges it).

I think Button will have to worry more about defending from Massa at the start than overtaking Alonso.

Button will have a big advantage under braking into the first corner. It's not impossible if they both have a good start. But I'll have to see him fend off a car that's 10 kph faster at the of the straights. He will have to do some epic defending. But if there's anyone who can make the off-strategy work, it's Button.

Chris R

Damn I'm just self destructing when it comes to the fantasy league :( My 2nd driver "upgrade" to Liuzzi is going to blow up in my face :< He did so well at Monza last year too. I should have gone with the Hulkster :( I also screwed up my bets so bad :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Massa should be very worried about Lewis behind him.

Maybe we will see some first corner carnage - it is quite long way to the first chicane :D
630 meters from start, if i measured it correctly.

Wes

venison crêpe
Anyone else find the grid walk excruciating to watch?

Edit: Except for seeing the flag girls of course.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wes said:
Anyone else find the grid walk excruciating to watch?

Edit: Except for seeing the flag girls of course.
It's usually rubbish, but from time to time it does become a bit epic.

Anyway, onto the race. Whoever comes out after the first corner 1st has a huge advantage, Button has a big chance to use his F-Duct to gain the upper hand but if he doesn't he may be seeing red, a lot of red.

I hope for a Button win today, but expect an Alonso one. Either way I don't think it will be too action packed, these guys are too worried to crash into each other nowadays to cause much action at the run to the first corner.

Stop It

Button storms to the lead and Hamilton storms...out.

Great start, awesome start by Button and Hamilton buggered that right up.

Pimpwerx

*sigh*

And Lewis would have had that straightline speed and could be pressuring Felipe right now. Was it red mist? Could he even have red mist after a nice start like that? I assume he just got too ambitious with that overtake. PEACE.

Mohonky

navanman said:
Webber look after your tyres

"Webber don't overtake Vettel"

Wouldn't surprise me. Red Bull seem adamant they want Vettel as their champion no matter how much it seems Webber should be the preferred driver at this point in the championship.

Stop It

Wes said:
*Massa's radio*

THIS IS GREAT MATE

YOU'RE BEHIND ALONSO
:lol :lol

Button starting to pull away, he is so serene he hasn't even bothered using his radio yet! This will be the Button and Alonso show no doubt.

Shaneus said:
Just tuned in... what's the latest? How was Hammy out? Why's Webber 8th?
Hamilton broke his front right steering on Massa at the start and went off, Webber started poorly.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Shaneus said:
Just tuned in... what's the latest? How was Hammy out? Why's Webber 8th?
Hamilton took himself out, trying too much in second chicane.
Webber fucked up his start again.

Stop It

navanman said:
Button is pulling away now, his better downforce and smooth style is saving his tyres better.
Indeed, Alonso is faster (by quite a margin) in sector 1, but Button is setting purples everywhere else.

I think Brundle is correct, Ferrari have told Alonso to turn the engine right up in order to keep pace with Button, who is frankly smoothly acing the track.

Edit: 17 laps in and Button is 12.6 seconds ahead of 4th placed Rosberg. The McLaren and Ferraris are a class apart.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It would not be quite healthy for Ferrari engine if Alonso drove right behind Button. It could cook in no time.

Stop It

Vettel reporting a misfire, Renault power, awesome, reliable, fast. Oh wait.

Edit: And suddenly it is fixed? Oh you clever bastards at RBR, that was team orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom