• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

megateto

navanman said:
Some big rumours going around today that there will be a big shake-up in the BBC F1 commentary box for next year.

Ditch Legard and bring back James Allen please. All is forgiven!

What happened with Allen? I got to know him through his blog via gaf, and find it pretty interesting.

Zinga

Banned
I am glad they are giving it to Legard but please anyone but Allen again, he was unpopular as well when commentating and for good reason! There are plenty of good commentators out there, they should try them out.

Deadman

megateto said:
What happened with Allen? I got to know him through his blog via gaf, and find it pretty interesting.

His writing is quite good. When he was a commentator he went a bit crazy with the hamilton/anyone british bias.

megateto

Deadman said:
His writing is quite good. When he was a commentator he went a bit crazy with the hamilton/anyone british bias.

I haven't seen that much Alonso hate on his blog, quite the contrary, in fact XD.

Leunam

Wow, De La Rosa dropped and Kimi possibly coming back, after saying he would stay in WRC? Looks like I missed quite a bit last night.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
S. L. said:
This years was a turd again and even with full Merc backing I don't see why next years should be any better.
Mercedes switched development into 2011 car back in June, if some german sources are correct. This car is flawed from the foundations (from mess up with tyre specs, to insufficient cooling to upgrades that don't work) , so they scrapped it and they are working on brand new car. This one will get last upgrade in Singapore, then it is over.

S. L.

DrM said:
Mercedes switched development into 2011 car back in June, if some german sources are correct. This car is flawed from the foundations (from mess up with tyre specs, to insufficient cooling to upgrades that don't work) , so they scrapped it and they are working on brand new car. This one will get last upgrade in Singapore, then it is over.
which is sort of my point, they have no understanding of their car. their upgrades don't work or mess up the car even more. how am i supposed to believe next years will be better?
I think Renault, Sauber and maybe Lotus will make considerable jumps forward next year, but not Mercedes.

operon

Zinga said:
I am glad they are giving it to Legard but please anyone but Allen again, he was unpopular as well when commentating and for good reason! There are plenty of good commentators out there, they should try them out.

I think they could do no worse than have Anthony Davidson, does a great job on the practise qualifying and the radio 5 live commentary

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Who's the guy who does the BBC forum coverage? Used to always have the iPad in his hands and let's Coulthard and Eddie have at it on air? He could be OK, Davidson would be a good choice but he is too like Brundle, unless Brundle is leaving!!
Chandook would be good in Davidsons place then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Love Jake Humphrey, handles Coulthard and Jordan really well - but he is a presenter, not a commentator. Love Brundle too, adds some gravitas and proper experience.

operon

navanman said:
Who's the guy who does the BBC forum coverage? Used to always have the iPad in his hands and let's Coulthard and Eddie have at it on air? He could be OK, Davidson would be a good choice but he is too like Brundle, unless Brundle is leaving!!
Chandook would be good in Davidsons place then.

Yes but i'd hope he will be back int he car for next year, davidson does a good job on five live

moojito

You couldn't have two pundits as the commentary team. You folks are saying Legard basically rabbles on and gets things wrong, that's pretty much my recollection of Murray Walker as well. Legard does seem a bit less likely to have a heart attack every time there's a crash, mind you.

I can't say I have any problems with the commentary as it is.

Lucius86

Banned
kharma45 said:
Jake Humphrey.

I always liked Crofty on 5 Live, get him over and get Legard out.

Agreed. I always have the dilemma to decide which commentary to go for on the red button - TV has Brundle, 5 Live has Crofty (and I think Anthony Davidson is a great co-commentator too). Crofty is damn good I think, and him partnered with brundle would pretty much suit me perfectly.

If Brundle goes, I may just cry.

Leunam

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I really hope your team crashes and burns Sauber. Also back to pure white non-advertising thanks to firing the only pilot that got you advertising.

Just saw this and would like to point out that there is more to this bit.

Sauber had mentioned in a recent interview that other teams are selling their advertisement spots on cars at less than normal. They're sacrificing a bit, but they are at least getting money. Sauber seems to be really stubborn about ad space and refuses to sell space for less than what he feels it's worth.

Also, De La Rosa says he still wants to be in Formula 1 next year, but I can't imagine many teams would want to pick him up for a first or second seat considering his age.

itxaka

Defeatist
Leunam said:
Wow, De La Rosa dropped and Kimi possibly coming back, after saying he would stay in WRC? Looks like I missed quite a bit last night.

0_0

De la Rosa :_(

Thankfully, there are rumors of the Hispania Team offering him a position to drive :)

Koshiro

kharma45 said:
Jake Humphrey.

I always liked Crofty on 5 Live, get him over and get Legard out.
Crofty & Davidson are a superb combo, which is the one thing that makes this issue difficult. Legard needed to go after the first race frankly, and Croft would be perfect for the job. BUT I like Davidson too, and I also like Brundle (Brundle must stay at all costs). Gets a bit difficult there, if you can't have three people anyway.

Pimpwerx

navanman said:
Surprised its happening now rather than for next season:
Interesting. Kobayashi better watch his ass. Contract-year Nick uses cheat codes. Seriously...dangle a carrot in front of him, and the boy can go. Sign him for more than a year, and prepare for mediocrity. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Fuck you Sauber.

I hope their motors blow up to see if they really don't have any money to buy more motors like they told De la Rosa when he got the latest one and it was defective, on top of the penalty he got because their shitty car blew all engines and gearboxes.

I really hope your team crashes and burns Sauber. Also back to pure white non-advertising thanks to firing the only pilot that got you advertising.

I also hope their f-duct they only got working and early because of De la Rosa now stops working.

What an amazing cunt you have proven to be Sauber, incredible, respect in red numbers.
Meh. Let's be honest. PDLR sucks. He was garbage in a championship-caliber McLaren, so there shouldn't be any hope of him suddenly getting a clue now. The guy should still be a test driver. Some guys are made for that mold. If he handled Kobayashi better in their matchup, he might still be in a ride. For now, Kobayashi has more of a future, and Heidfeld is a better driver than PDLR as well. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Zinga said:
What? You don't want to hear "...and Lewis Hamilton WEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!"? :lol PEACE.

i wonder what the comm selection stats on the stream are? I am sure that bbc knows, and if the 5live comm and no comm are picked over Leggard....

you are fucking DONE SON

Zinga

Banned
operon said:
I think they could do no worse than have Anthony Davidson, does a great job on the practise qualifying and the radio 5 live commentary

Davidson is pretty good, so if Croft, I would be happy for them to try anyone as long as its not Legard or Allen!

Pimpwerx said:
Meh. Let's be honest. PDLR sucks. He was garbage in a championship-caliber McLaren, so there shouldn't be any hope of him suddenly getting a clue now. The guy should still be a test driver. Some guys are made for that mold. If he handled Kobayashi better in their matchup, he might still be in a ride. For now, Kobayashi has more of a future, and Heidfeld is a better driver than PDLR as well. PEACE.
Didn't say DLR didn't suck, but he certainly doesn't suck more than he did when they got him instead of an available Heidfeld. DLR has done as well as he possibly could this season with the extremely failure-prone car (blowing all motors with 7 races left, hydraulic systems failures...) and DLR delivered building the car, matching Kobayashi on qualifyings, doing some good races often ending in engine failures, driving with defective engines (Monza)...
Sure Kobayashi has more future, has driven better on Sundays and was way more lucky with the failures and team strategies giving him some more points. That's why Kobayashi is locked for next year.
But there's no reason to fire DLR now with 5 races left, Heidfeld can't even start with new engines, he has to go with what DLR had.
DLR is a good guy and all but it wasn't enough? Ok, don't bring him next season then. But fire him with 5 races left? Cunt move.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Sutil will leave Force India after this season, and he is apparently in contact with Mercedes.

Hehe, the pretties driver on the grid 12 years ago:
Click

Leunam

People were saying he might leave after this season (saw it on the BBC website) but he's said he would still be in Formula 1 next year. I don't think he explicitly mentioned Mercedes.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
DrM said:
Sutil will leave Force India after this season, and he is apparently in contact with Mercedes.

Click
I thought the current rumour was that IF Schumacher calls it a day after at the end of the season, Sutil was the first in line as replacement.

Pimpwerx

DrM said:

Click
I called this very early this season, and there were a few doubters. Didn't I say FI was gonna lose one or both of their drivers? Liuzzi had a bit of bad luck with a bad chassis, but has driven decently well. His form of late hasn't been as hot as early in the season. OTOH, Sutil has been a boss all season. He was my golden ticket to the top of the fantasy standings, and he definitely deserves a top seat IMO. It'll be interesting to see how he copes with actual pressure, but good on him. PEACE.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Templar Wizard said:
i dont think he is continually correcting for fun

Right.

But in this case we have top driver/top car and bottom driver/bottom car.

I think it was Michael a while back in that interview/documentary on the way he brakes/accelerates vs. other drivers said that some drivers like to take a deeper apex and thus correct and brake more, but maintain a higher speed for longer. Sort of the way some drivers are tough on tires and some are light on tires in the same team car such as Button/Hamilton difference.

Not saying that Senna is not fighting the car because it looks like he is manhandling a boar.

S. L.

navanman said:
Speaking of Senna, the real Senna that is; there are 2 fantastic trailers for the new Senna film out now. Pity it won't be released in UK cinemas for another 8 months!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2Jr_7Ngyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70aoG5Lh40

If anyone knows the context of the 1:38 to 1:40 section I would love to know.
geee, took me less than 10 seconds on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Brazilian_Grand_Prix
Ayrton Senna made a perfect start to lead from Nigel Mansell, Riccardo Patrese, Jean Alesi, Gerhard Berger and Alain Prost, building up a lead of some 3 seconds by lap 8. However Mansell was closing and by lap 20 the gap was down to 0.7s. On lap 17 Prost pitted for new tires, keen to avoid being stuck behind Nelson Piquet's Benetton. Mansell pitted on lap 26, but the stop was terrible - lasting over 14 seconds. This returned him to the race in 4th place behind Patrese and Alesi. After Senna and Patrese had made their stops, Mansell was some 7 seconds behind the lead McLaren. There seemed no doubt that Senna would be caught but the chance never arose as on lap 50 Mansell had to stop for a new set of tires after a puncture caused by debris on the track. Unknown to observers, Senna's gearbox was failing, having lost fourth gear and by lap 60 the lead was halved and Mansell had set fastest lap. Yet ironically it was Mansell's gearbox that gave way first, causing him to retire on lap 61. With just a couple of laps left, Senna had also lost fifth and third gears. Having to maintain sixth gear in slow and medium corners meant that several times he nearly stalled. Patrese was catching him rapidly, but with gearbox problems of his own he was unable to pass. As the weather deteriorated Senna began gesturing to stewards to stop the race, an act he repeated in Adelaide later in the season.

Senna won by a mere 2.9 seconds from Patrese, having to be lifted bodily from the car due to exhaustion. Despite a small fire on the grid and a sticking throttle, Berger claimed the final podium place from Prost, Piquet and Alesi.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Leunam said:
People were saying he might leave after this season (saw it on the BBC website) but he's said he would still be in Formula 1 next year. I don't think he explicitly mentioned Mercedes.
He could still be a test driver for Mercedes, waiting for The Old One to call it a day. And he would fit quite nicely into Team Germany.

S. L.

DrM said:
He could still be a test driver for Mercedes, waiting for The Old One to call it a day. And he would fit quite nicely into Team Germany.
that would be a Heidfeld level of fuckup :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom