• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salacious Crumb said:
It looks like Charlie Cox is the hot favourite for taking ledgard's spot next year.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/163291/1/bbc_f1_to_ditch_jonathan_legardfor_charlie_cox.html

He was a bit of a dick on Top Gear Australia, but he seems like a decent commentator.

great, so we can look forward to nuggets like these:

"at the start Jenson Button is off the line quicker than a white slice out of my toaster"

"he needs that like a third armpit"

this geezer doesn't fit f1, i'd rather keep legard than have this Alf Stewart wannabe.

Leunam

Power to survive? 2010 engine usage revealed

Engine usage to date:

McLaren Mercedes

1 Jenson Button 7
2 Lewis Hamilton 7

Mercedes GP
3 Michael Schumacher 7
4 Nico Rosberg 7

RBR Renault
5 Sebastian Vettel 7
6 Mark Webber 6

Ferrari
7 Felipe Massa 8
8 Fernando Alonso 8

Williams Cosworth
9 Rubens Barrichello 6
10 Nico Hulkenberg 7

Renault
11 Robert Kubica 6
12 Vitaly Pertrov 6

Force India Mercedes
14 Adrian Sutil 7
15 Vitantonio Liuzzi 7

STR Ferrari
16 Sebastien Buemi 7
17 Jaime Alguersuari 7

Lotus Cosworth
18 Jarno Trulli 7
19 Heikki Kovalainen 7

HRT Cosworth
20 Sakon Yamamoto 7
21 Bruno Senna 7

BMW Sauber Ferrari
22 Nick Heidfeld (formerly Pedro de la Rosa’s car) 9
23 Kamui Kobayashi 7

Virgin Cosworth
24 Timo Glock 7
25 Lucas Di Grassi 7

weather forecast for the race weekend:

thunderstorm1.jpg

Chris R

Bobo said:
Bonus question is up nice and early... I hope you like jigsaws.
It wasn't that bad.

Oh, and for next year, due to the addition of a new circuit (well, actually... if SK falls through and India is anything like the Commonwealth setup... both tracks might be a no go :lol ) engine supply will go up by one correct?

Singabore might be interesting with some weather :D

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone hear anything about this whole mess over the use of the Lotus name, branding in F1 that all about to kick off.
I "presumed" that Lotus F1 team was backed by Proton who own the Lotus road car company and name but apparently not, Lotus Racing is a different user of the Lotus name, from the F1 company.

Some good commentary with rumours of current Lotus team re-branding and ART trying to get into F1 with Proton-Lotus.

From what we are hearing, Group Lotus, which is owned by the Malaysian government-controlled Proton car company, has embarked on three legal actions to stop Tony Fernandes from using the Lotus name next year. The Group applied for various trademarks relating to Lotus Racing earlier this year. The group is also believed to have withdrawn permission to allow Fernandes to use the Lotus name and is claiming that David Hunt, the owner of Team Lotus Ventures Ltd, had no right to sell the rights and logos to the Team Lotus name. The apparent aim of all this is to grab the Lotus name and to enter F1 with a Lotus-branded team, run by ART.

Proton is a loss-making state-owned automobile company. Its ownership of Lotus has made little difference. The Proton board decided in September 2009 to hire Dany Bahar as the firm’s new chief executive. He was employed at Ferrari at the time and brought in a number of Ferrari people as he set about revamping the firm, trying to turn it into a Malaysian version of Ferrari (albeit based in England). All of this probably explains why there have been conflicting reports in recent days regarding the Lotus engine supply next year. Team Lotus is believed to have a deal with Renault, but Group Lotus and ART seem to be keen to use the old Toyota F1 base and equipment. The price tag on this is about $30 million a year and the deal is for two years. Toyota provides Lotus with road car engines and so Bahar is obviously trying to stitch together the various elements of the deal to Ferrari-fy Lotus. There is currently no F1 entry for Lotus ART, which will require further investment.

The bottom line of all this is that there is probably going to be a power struggle in Malaysia to see whether Proton’s masters support Bahar or Fernandes. It is a case of my politician is stronger than your politician. Bahar is guy with ideas, but Fernandes has had solid and impressive results in the past and he seems to hold most of the cards with regard to the Team Lotus name. He also has an F1 entry, which is more than can be said for Bahar (at least as far as we know).

Full article

the whole situation is nonsense, a malayasian company using a name but has no actual attachment to the legacy.

also, its not like Lotus bowed out on a high, they were in their twilight years. all of this 'discussion' in a slow news week is just getting the brand name back onto the news wires. perhaps thats all they want.
if you get enough people to say it, they may start believing it.

Dilly

Banned
Ecclestone pushing for medals system

Bernie EcclestoneFormula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone plans to make a fresh push to introduce his gold medal system into the sport, after suggesting that the new points system introduced this year has not improved matters.

Despite an ultra-tight championship battle between Red Bull Racing, Ferrari and McLaren, which has left five drivers in contention for the title with five races remaining, Ecclestone believes F1 would have been better off going for his 'winner-takes-all' concept.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86878

We have 5 drivers still in the running for the championship and he thinks nothing has improved?

What a stupid system.

I don't see how that would improve anything.

This is the first F1 season in years I've watched because it's so close, tense and exciting. As long as there's always a competition for the title and a team like Ferarri don't dominate every race ever again I'll be happy.

Wes

venison crêpe
Regarding the commentary. Legard has been pretty poor since the start. It was the only blip since F1 returned to it's rightful home at BBC.

Anyway I listen to the five live commentary whilst watching races. David Croft, Anthony Davidson and Holly Samos are fantastic - you guys must give them a try one race. Listening/watching the practice sessions are more enjoyable because these guys are commentating on it.

Mad_Ban

Thank god for 5 Live commentary on the red button. I can't stand Cox (the dude single-handedly makes Motogp unwatchable on the beeb).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mclaren brought some nasty lookin' front wing in Singapore, they are also confident that car will be much closer to RBR

Pimpwerx

Britprog said:
I think its beautiful!!!

I expect it will flex like no tomorrow!!!
:lol

No doubt. That's why they went away from the arches. Those were mounted at the endplates, and having the endplates flex too much would move the arches in the wrong direction. I'm also gonna assume the red plates in the back flatten a bit too. Amazing pics. PEACE.

Leunam

5TE4E.png

The start of the Singapore Grand Prix signals the winding down of the 2010 Formula 1 season, with five races left on the calendar. The Asian leg of the tour starts at the Marina Bay Street Circuit. The only race on the Formula 1 calendar to hold it's events at night, Marina Bay presents some unique challenges. To most of the drivers, the street circuit is more demanding on brakes and the physical limits of the drivers and changes had to be made to the circuit in previous years due to the unusually large kerbs and bumpy roads. On top of these already daunting challenges, there is a chance of heavy rain for this weekends race. Coupled with the fact that the entire circuit is lit up with floodlights (with some sections brighter than daylight), some drivers are nervous about how rain can affect not only their performance, but also their visibility on a track where mistakes can be extremely costly.

For Sauber, this is the race where Nick Heidfeld will take over Pedro de la Rosa's seat. After being disqualified last year for having a lighter than allowed car, Heidfeld will be looking to produce results against Kobayashi, who has already proven himself worthy of a guaranteed seat in next years Sauber.

s2VvD.png

NMv8r.png

An agreement for a five-year deal was signed by Singapore GP Pte Ltd, the Singapore Tourism Board and Bernie Ecclestone. In November 2007 it was announced that the telecommunications company Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) would sponsor the event. The official name of the event will be the FORMULA 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix. The race was co-funded by the Government of Singapore, footing 60% of the total bill, or $90 million SGD, out of a total tab of $150 million SGD.

Around 110,000 tickets were made available for the country's first Formula One race. Corporate hospitality suites and packages went on sale at the end November 2007, three-day passes to the public went on sale in February 2008. Single-day passes went on sale a month later. The event went on to achieve a full sell-out for all of its tickets.

The first race held at the new Marina Bay Street Circuit was the 15th round of the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship, and was also the first night-time event Formula One history. The timing of the night event meant that it could be broadcast live at a convenient time for European TV audiences. The track was also illuminated by a series of projectors which adapt their output to match the shape of the course. The race was won by Fernando Alonso driving for the Renault team, however that result has since been tarnished by controversy.

For the 2009 race, the circuit was reprofiled slightly, including modifications to turns 1, 2 and 3 to aid overtaking, and also at turn 10 where high curbs caused many accidents in 2008.

After winning the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, Michael Schumacher announced his retirement from Formula 1 racing at the end of the 2006 season. Kimi Räikkönen replaced him at Ferrari from the start of the 2007 season. At the 2008 Italian Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel became the youngest driver in history to win a Formula One Grand Prix. Aged 21 years and 74 days, Vettel broke the record set by Fernando Alonso at the 2003 Hungarian Grand Prix by 317 days as he won in wet conditions at Monza. Vettel led for the majority of the Grand Prix and crossed the finish line 12.5 seconds ahead of McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen. Earlier in the weekend, he had already become the youngest polesitter, after setting the fastest times in both Q2 and Q3 qualifying stages. His win also gave him the record of youngest podium-finisher. Uncertainty grew over the fact that Monza would continue to host the race as Rome had signed a deal to host Formula One from 2012. On 18 March 2010 however, Bernie Ecclestone and the Monza track managers signed a deal which meant that the race will be held there until at least 2016.

The Italian Grand Prix in recent years has been labeled as a jinx to the winning driver. Over the past two decades, only Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher have won the Italian Grand Prix and gone on to win the world championship in the same year. The last year that the winner of the Italian Grand Prix won the world championship is 2003.

Onboard Lap

Onboard lap of the Marina Bay Street Circuit courtesy of Red Bull-Renault driver Sebastien Vettel.

26rkL.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Fernando Alonso - Renault - 1:48.240
Most Wins
Lewis Hamilton & Fernando Alonso - 1 (Tie)
Most Wins for Constructor
McLaren-Mercedes & Renault - 1 (Tie)

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from 2008 Singapore GP

Previous Winners

TIjra.png

Drivers Championship Standings

hkZbl.png

Constructors Championship Standings

Ro7y5.png

NeoGAF Championship Standings

zBXSx.png

Last Minute News

Singapore Preview Quotes
'Relaxed' Red Bull driver Mark Webber wants no regrets
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone calm over Delhi F1 race
Jerome D'Ambrosio & Esteban Gutierrez win F1 test roles
Exclusive Nick Heidfeld Q & A: I feel honoured to be back
De la Rosa to join Pirelli development programme

Dead Man

Leunam said:
Awesome preview
Thanks again for the preview, great work. I find I can't get excited by this race though. My favourite driver is in with a chance to win the WDC (Webber), rain is forecast, and it is even in a similar time zone for once (Although Bernie has managed to fuck that up by making it a night race), but I just do not care about this race. I am interested in the result, but the actual race? Not at all. Makes me sad.

Lach

FYI

The swiss press ist speculating today, that Peter Sauber will soon announce that he sells his Team to Carlos Slim (Team would become mexican), or at least be closing a large sponsoring contract. As a return they will instate (is that the right word?) mexican driver Sergio Perez as a teammate to Kobayashi, and keep Esteban Guitérrez as test-driver. All rumors though.
Source (German)

Sorry for the english. It's still early.

navanman

Great preview luenam.

I see on the F1racemanager website that the buying price of Hamilton has fallen sharply after his early exit in Monza. Maybe worth a punt to those liking a gamble and potential bargain.

navanman

Lotus Racing have completed the purchase of the rights to use the legendary Team Lotus name from David Hunt and will be re-branding for next season.

This of course is bound to kick off all the drama over who actually legally owns all the variations of the Lotus name for road and racing use.

Adamm

Word has it Sakon Yamamoto will replace by Christina Klien for this weekends race as Sakon has food poisoning.

Why not Chandhok :(

Goldrusher

Hispania Racing has confirmed to GPUpdate.net that Austria’s Christian Klien will make a sudden Formula 1 race return in Singapore this weekend, with regular driver Sakon Yamamoto having fallen ill with food poisoning.

After debuting in F1 with Jaguar at the start of 2004, Klien is yet to compete in a race since the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, in which he finished 11th for Red Bull Racing before being replaced by Holland’s Robert Doornbos for the season’s final three races.

However, having joined HRT this season and after first taking part in a free Friday practice session in Barcelona, it has now been confirmed that 27-year-old - who has 46 races behind him - will be in the cockpit alongside Bruno Senna, making him the Spanish team’s fourth race driver of 2010.

“Sakon has food poisoning, he hasn’t felt very well since last night,” an Hispania spokesperson confirmed to GPUpdate.net on Friday. “We waited to see if he could race but in the end doesn’t feel very good.

“Christian will drive for the whole weekend but we’re sure Sakon will be okay to return in Japan.”
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/243212/klien-returns-as-yamamoto-falls-ill/

Britprog

Dead Man said:
Chandhok getting fucked again? He may not be that good, but he is no worse than what they have. They should take Chandhok and Klein for next year.

I think its more to do with Klein having more financial backing, I bet Yamamoto isn't even sick, its a convenient excuse to replace him!!!

Dead Man

Britprog said:
I think its more to do with Klein having more financial backing, I bet Yamamoto isn't even sick, its a convenient excuse to replace him!!!
I thought Yamamoto got the drive sue to the money he brought? Gah, it still sucks driving for the back markers if you do not have sponsorship money to bring. Just like the 80's and 90's all over again! :lol No more pay drivers!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Britprog said:
eh, he probably ate some poor old and ill octopus for breakfast

Massa

Dead Man said:
Chandhok getting fucked again? He may not be that good, but he is no worse than what they have. They should take Chandhok and Klein for next year.

Wasn't Senna consistently faster than Chandhok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom