• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

I'm not sure I like rich companies buying a drive for the ceo's favourite nephew instead of it being about the best drivers racing the best cars. Alas it's a business first for a lot of these teams.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Leunam said:
Money worries just went out the window for Sauber.

Major bankroll for them.

On that note, Adam Cooper has a great article on Red Bull funding of RBR in 2009 based on their latest financial figures.
The Austrian drinks company pumped 100 million pounds into RBR in 2009 and probably even more this season to try and win both championships.

That's up their with McLaren budget and not far off Ferrari.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Deadman said:
So did nick heidfeld :lol
Poor bastard :lol

Also, Branson & Fernandez with crazy ass idea:
Richard Branson has backed the call from Lotus boss Tony Fernandes to get rid of blue flags in grand prix racing.

Fernandes, whose team has made its Formula 1 debut this year, said earlier this season that he believed the sport would benefit from not having blue flags.

"Drivers are paid to overtake, whether they are back markers or at the front," said Fernandes back in May. "I think it would be good for the sport to get rid of blue flags. In the days of Ken Tyrrell, he would never let any car pass.

"If it's really hard for a world champion to get past a backmarker then I think it's a sad day for racing. I think racing is all about getting past people and overtaking and adding a little bit of 'je ne sais quoi'.

"You've got a driver saying it's ridiculous that he's lapping someone four times, so why should he be complaining about overtaking a guy that he's lapping four times?"

Branson, the main backer of newcomer Virgin Racing, agreed with Fernandes, as he reckons the sport would be more entertaining without them.

"It would be a lot more fun if they didn't have blue flags," said Branson. "I am sure some of the more established teams would not like it, but it is a racing track and they should not have to be told to pull over.

"If that is what Tony is saying, I definitely agree with him. It doesn't sound like racing - and it makes a bit of a mockery of the sport."

Virgin Racing's CEO Graeme Lowdon reckons blue flags hurt smaller teams too much, as they lose big amounts of time letting the leading drivers through.

"We get a blue flag three seconds before someone approaches us, and at the moment three seconds is almost a lap and you have to let them by within four corners," he said. "So we have situations where our guys are pulling to one side and the car behind cannot catch up.

"It's a massive compromise over the whole of a race. We do this graph of time against distance, and you look at the graph and you immediately see where the blue flags start because up to a point of the race we are there or thereabouts in terms of pace, but then it drops away.

"The issue is that you get the flags so early - and three seconds is quite a long time. And you have to tell your driver to let the guy past but you cannot speed the car up behind. It has ruined a lot of racing for us."
Autosport

AndyD

aka andydumi
DrM said:
Poor bastard :lol

Also, Branson & Fernandez with crazy ass idea:

Autosport

That is only sort of crazy. But could be seen coming a mile away.

Before the grid was expanded and the "new" teams let in, we had this conversation of whether F1 was turning into a multi tier sport much like a running of LeMans with two or more tiers of cars all racing on the same track at once.

And whether its best to: split into multiple races, or get rid of blue flags, or keep blue flags and have a ton of passing that is not real passing.

So I am not surprised that we see it coming up again. On one hand, we have seen multiple times where a top car comes around and messes an ongoing battle of backmarkers, or allows a backmarker to pass another for position in the ensuing pull over to allow the fast car by.

THat said, it may cause unsafe conditions for the top racers. And I will laugh as we start seeing trains of cars, ecause some slow cars still have excellent drivers who are tough to pass.

navanman

Great news for Lotus and really showing the push they are going to make in 2011.

Lotus will source its gearbox and hydraulics system from Red Bull Technology in 2011, rather than Renault as had been widely assumed.

In fact Renault was never in a position to supply a transmission to go with its engine, and at one stage Lotus was looking at a deal with McLaren – although when I suggested as much on Twitter a few weeks ago I got a few sceptical replies! However the RBT arrangement is clearly preferable as both teams will use the same engine and Lotus will in effect share the whole rear end of Adrian Newey’s RB7.

The news also emphasises that RBT wants to create as much extra income as possible, rather than rely on a massive subsidy from Austria as mentioned in my story yesterday.

Like the other new teams Lotus has suffered badly with its bought-in hydraulics system this year, and did not want a repeat next season.

In a team statement Mike Gascoyne said:“The announcement that we have reached a multi-year agreement with Red Bull Technology for the supply of our gearboxes and hydraulics from 2011 is obviously a massive step forward for us, both in engineering terms, and as an expression of our ambitions for next year and for future Championships. The gearbox/hydraulics package obviously plays a critical role in the performance of the car, not just on track but in design and packaging terms, and this deal gives our design and aero teams a very exciting platform to work with.

“The removal of the double diffusers in 2011 will allow the whole grid to tighten up the rear bodywork and mechanical structures around the gearbox, and this supply deal will allow us to capitalise on that with our 2011 car. Exciting times lie ahead!”

Christian Horner added: “We are very pleased about Lotus Racing’s decision to use Red Bull Technology gearboxes and hydraulic systems from 2011. The fact that Red Bull Technology has been chosen to be a supplier to another team despite its short history demonstrates how much we have achieved since our first season. We very much look forward to working with Lotus Racing from 2011 onwards.”
Adam Cooper

Seanspeed

Banned
navanman said:
Major bankroll for them.

On that note, Adam Cooper has a great article on Red Bull funding of RBR in 2009 based on their latest financial figures.
The Austrian drinks company pumped 100 million pounds into RBR in 2009 and probably even more this season to try and win both championships.

That's up their with McLaren budget and not far off Ferrari.
Pretty sure Mclaren spends more than Ferrari.

jey_16

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Pretty sure Mclaren spends more than Ferrari.

i think overall, Ferrari spend more when you include the engine division since McLaren get their engines (and a lot of money) from Mercedes but McLaren spend more just on the car

both of them spend considerably more then Red Bull though

navanman

ScarbsF1 has more information on the Lotus, RBR tie-up for next year. Seems Lotus are going to design their own gearbox and the rumours are they have taken on some people from RBT (Red Bull Technology); the division that supplied Toro Rosso with their car in the past.

Although the rumours suggested it will be a complete Renault rear end for Lotus Racing, today the team announced it will in fact use the Red Bull gearbox and hydraulics from 2011.

Equally unexpected was the confirmation that the technology will not simply be Red Bulls 2011 RB7 design. But a part Lotus designed gearbox. Silvi Schaumloeffel from Lotus exclusively telling ScarbsF1.com “It’s a bespoke gearbox for us and we have been in contact for several weeks and have been able to progress the design”. Thus the 2011 Lotus already has the Gearbox design considered as part of its initial philosophy.

This deal underlines the determination of Lotus Racing to get a foot hold into the midfield. Their race results this year have been undermined by hydraulic failures. Lotus Racing are one of the two teams using the complete Xtrac gearbox and Geoff Willis technical director of HRT has been critical of the units packaging in comparison to current F1 standards. Clearly if Lotus want to progress then they need to resolve the reliability issues with the cars rear end. Moreover the team also need to improve their aerodynamics, at the rear of the car this is largely constrained by the gear case design. As the gear case itself forms a large obstruction to the airflow approaching the diffuser. Plus the gearcase dictates the rear suspension geometry, spring\damper packaging and the hydraulics packaging.

More on the deal and gearbox design in general at ScarbsF1

navanman

What's up with F1racemanager?
It's well into Wednesday for us superior Euro F1 fans and no bonus question on the site. Deadline is usually 27hrs from now.

navanman

BONUS QUESTION IS UP:

ONLY 14 HRS TO GET YOUR ANSWER IN!!!

Which driver celebrated his 100th Grand Prix at Suzuka in 2002?

Seanspeed

Banned
dalin80 said:
Not even close, the bonus money ferrari get just for being ferrari is more then most of the small team budgets.
For one, what Ferrari earns is not always what they spend, unless you think that Ferrari is in the habit of not wanting to make money.

Two, the bonus money is still directly related to their position in the standings. They dont get the full $80 million or whatever it is(I think thats right, though) if they are 3rd in the WCC.

Three, Mclaren spends more. :lol

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/09/22/toyota-has-biggest-f1-budget-4456m/

This is from 2008, but it still shows that Ferrari aren't the dominant spenders like they used to be. Mclaren is a healthy corporation and can afford to outspend Ferrari, which isn't surprising considering that F1 is their main business while Ferrari is equally committed financially to their road car programs.

navanman

S. L. said:
it doesn't say on wiki >_<

it's not Irvine

i think it's Ralf

Has Suzuka always been the last GP before the recent change in calendar.
Its not Montoya, only 95 GPs.
Not Kimi either.

avaya

Seanspeed said:
For one, what Ferrari earns is not always what they spend, unless you think that Ferrari is in the habit of not wanting to make money.

Two, the bonus money is still directly related to their position in the standings. They dont get the full $80 million or whatever it is(I think thats right, though) if they are 3rd in the WCC.

Three, Mclaren spends more. :lol

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/09/22/toyota-has-biggest-f1-budget-4456m/

This is from 2008, but it still shows that Ferrari aren't the dominant spenders like they used to be. Mclaren is a healthy corporation and can afford to outspend Ferrari, which isn't surprising considering that F1 is their main business while Ferrari is equally committed financially to their road car programs.

The money you've attributed to McLaren there is actually Mercedes money. McLaren are not the same league money-wise as Ferrari. Ferrari's FOM money before doing anything is already bigger. FOM and Philip Morris make the Scuderia a zero cost operation to Ferrari SpA.

moojito

Bad news for the McLarens! I always have trouble with those corners in the f1 game myself, mind. Seems they're running the cars a bit too low and getting thrown off by the bumps, something not accounted for by their simulators. That's what the commentator suggested anyway.

Chris R

FP2 on right now. Suzuka is so damn awesome, just behind Spa on my favorite tracks list. Might have to dump Hammy though in fantasy league :| Should have just gone for Vettle when I had the chance.

Also, I love the timing of this race :lol Eat a late dinner on Saturday and sit back and enjoy the 9:30-Midnight race time :lol

Salacious Crumb

rhfb said:
FP2 on right now. Suzuka is so damn awesome, just behind Spa on my favorite tracks list. Might have to dump Hammy though in fantasy league :| Should have just gone for Vettle when I had the chance.

Also, I love the timing of this race :lol Eat a late dinner on Saturday and sit back and enjoy the 9:30-Midnight race time :lol

That's how it is in Australia during the European tour, brilliant time to sit down and watch a race.

Adamm

rhfb said:
6am start for me :lol

Although i quite like watching TV at that time of the morning :D

Chris R

Adamm said:
6am start for me :lol

Although i quite like watching TV at that time of the morning :D
The European races run from 4-6 am for me. I used to be able to watch them all, but that was before I had a job that required me to be up very early the next day :(

Adamm

Goldrusher said:
It's an hour later than previous years.

Race starts at 3 pm local time, it used to be 2 pm or even 1.30 pm.
Glad they changed it
I always missed the Japanese GP live because I didnt want to get up so early!

6am is my limit :lol

(except the LOST finally...it was 5am)

Zinga

Banned
I read that Hamilton broke the new rear wing on his car and they are trying to fly a new one out from Woking ASAP... I am still expecting he will bounce back from his slump in form at the race but not a great way to start the weekend that's for sure!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Zinga said:
I read that Hamilton broke the new rear wing on his car and they are trying to fly a new one out from Woking ASAP... I am still expecting he will bounce back from his slump in form at the race but not a great way to start the weekend that's for sure!

They should took that one from Jenson's car. He won't notice any difference :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Goldrusher said:
Hamilton's little crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF82WPQABOg

Screwed up the turn just before going under the overpass.

I always do that in video games with Suzuka. I knew that was going to happen before I clicked on the video. :lol

That said, I am still keeping him in my team, its the last chance before I change to someone else. I am worried he will push too hard though and DNF out again, but its a gamble. And the league is for fun and chances.

Leunam

gZZW3.png

Formula 1 continues its tour of Asia with the Japanese Grand Prix. Hosted at the legendary Suzuka, drivers pit their skill against an older circuit, one which is just as punishing and unforgiving as any tight and narrow street circuit. This is a race that determines the narrative going into the following round. Can one regain their composure and bring themselves back into the competition for world champion? Will another simply extend his lead and make it that much harder for his opponents to match his pace? Will a certain legendary team continue their winning streak and prove to everyone that their resurgence is more than just luck?

faGFo.png

Mvn06.png

Suzuka is one of the oldest remaining tracks of the Formula One World Championship, and so has a long history of races as venue of the Japanese Grand Prix. Its traditional role as one of the last Grands Prix of the season means numerous World Championships have been decided at the track.

Suzuka was dropped from the Formula One calendar for the 2007 and 2008 seasons in favour of the Toyota-owned Fuji Speedway, after the latter underwent a transformation and redesign by circuit designer Hermann Tilke. Suzuka and Fuji were to alternate hosting the Japanese Grand Prix from 2009. However, after Fuji announced on July 2009 that it would no longer be part of the F1 calendar, Suzuka signed a deal to host the Japanese Grand Prix in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

The circuit closed for a year in order for the renovation to make it F1-compliant for 2009, with the last major event held on November 18, 2007, although some annual events (for instance, the Suzuka 8 Hours and 1000km Suzuka) were still held. The track held a re-opening day on April 12, 2009.

Suzuka also hosts other motorsport events including the Suzuka 1000km endurance race. Previously a part of multiple GT racing series including the now defunct Group C class of the All Japan Sports Prototype Championship, the Suzuka 1000 km as of 2006 is now a points round of the Super GT series, and is the only race of such length in that series.

Another major motorsport event is the Suzuka 8 Hours for motorcycles, which has been run since 1978. This event usually attracts big name riders and with the exception of 2005, due to the importance of the big name manufacturers involvement, the FIM ensures that no motorcycle races clash on the date.

NASCAR organized the NASCAR Thunder 100, a pair of exhibition 100-lap races on the East Circuit, a 1.4 miles (2.3 km) layout which utilizes the pit straight and esses, before rejoining the main circuit near the Casio Triangle. The cars were Sprint Cup Series and Camping World West Series cars and the field was by invitation for the two races, run after the 1996 and 1997 seasons. The 1996 event was marred by tragedy when during practice, pace car driver Elmo Langley died of a heart attack in the Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car at the esses during an evaluation run. During qualifying for the 1997 race, rain caused Goodyear to use rain tires on Sprint Cup cars for the first time in the modern era.

It was announced on June 21, 2010 that Suzuka Circuit would host the Japan round of the 2011 WTCC season instead of the Okayama International Circuit.

Onboard Lap

Mark Webber walks us through and analyzes a lap of Suzuka.

7htjG.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Mark Webber - Red Bull-Renault - 1:32.569
Most Wins
Michael Schumacher - 6
Most Wins for Constructor
McLaren - 8

Highlights from Previous Years

1987-2009 Suzuka through onboard laps

Highlights from 1998 Japanese Grand Prix

Previous Winners

UUtvp.png

*2008 and 2009 races held at Fuji.

Drivers Championship Standings

8sBYY.png

Constructors Championship Standings

uh6P6.png

NeoGAF Championship Standings

PW5A8.png

Last Minute News

Rain set to disrupt Suzuka qualifying
Ecclestone now sure Korea will happen
New bid to revive South African GP
Fernando Alonso calm over qualifying forecast at Suzuka
Alonso says he is title favorite, Webber more guarded
Kimi Raikonnen rejects claims over F1 return with Renault
Q & A with Renaults Robert Kubica
Sebastien Vettel Q & A: Our aim is to be 'big in Japan'

Leunam

Thanks. :)

By the way, I definitely recommend those videos, especially the onboard lap one. Slim pickings in terms of highlights, but those two make up for it.

Chris R

So I guess this is taking place tomorrow then? What time would it be? Like 4-6 hours before the race? Even better timing for me :lol

Dilly

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:
Commonwealth Games.

Lee really got thrown in at the deep end with this one, but she held it together bloody well considering. Just a shame that she as all the character (i.e. none) of Rosenthal and Ryder.

Yeah, one hell of a first day. :lol

navanman

Well thank god I didn't get up early to catch the qualifying!

Parc Ferme rules don't apply so the teams are free to work on the cars overnight in preparation for tomorrow qualifying and race.

More heavy rain is forecast so I expect at least a compromise setup if not a full wet setup from all teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom