• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NHale said:
Not really. I would say it's even better for Ferrari because Alonso already used the 8 engines allowed. One less race would make it even easier to manage that situation.

Suzuka, Interlagos and Yas Marina. The first two looks like Red Bull territory, the big advantage is that Vettel can compromise Webber's championship.

anonnumber6 said:
Suzuka, Interlagos and Yas Marina. The first two looks like Red Bull territory, the big advantage is that Vettel can compromise Webber's championship.

Red Bull's advantage is pretty much gone. Singapore(out of the remaining races) was the one people were expecting them to dominate easily.

If the cars are as even as they were today and driver skill becomes a big factor in winning the championship I'd put several drivers ahead of Vettel and Webber.

The Mclaren seems pretty fragile. We've seen the Ferrari take a huge smack at spa and continue the race. The incident at Monza(broke Hamilton's front). Crash with Webber(broke Hamilton's rear).

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Miracle for Webber as his tyre comes off rims but still survives.
http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/09/26/miracle-for-webber-as-tyre-holds-together/
vgmsn.jpg

ke87ro.jpg

Hamilton's rear rim after it exploded on impact:
2ikr0wj.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
avaya said:
Red Bull really pissing away the points. Should have easily won today.

Ferrari likely to grenade at Interlagos.
Alonso used his 8th engine for this race. Normal life span is 2 or 3 races. So if it manage to survive Suzuka and Interlagos - hats off to Ferrari engine. Dunno how many engines he has for FP

Alucrid

Banned
So I want to start watching some F1 racing, however I don't know where to look. I'm in the US and the cable package I have probably doesn't have a channel that would show it. Is there anywhere to subscribe online to watch it?

Deadman

Lucius86 said:
Why have Sutil & the Hulk got time deductions?

You won't like Hulk when he's angry....

They both apparantly cut corners to gain an advantage. The strange thing is that for Sutil at least it happened right near the start of the race (lap 5 or something i believe) and yet it took the stewards 2 hours to notice and hand out a penalty?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Alucrid said:
So I want to start watching some F1 racing, however I don't know where to look. I'm in the US and the cable package I have probably doesn't have a channel that would show it. Is there anywhere to subscribe online to watch it?

No way to legally watch them online, you need Speed network in the US to watch it.

Chris R

I know I'm in the minority since I don't hate hamiltons guts but he had the position, the crash was webbers fault, should have had a penalty, but whatever. Race is over nothing to do about it now but look to Suzuka. Also got screwed in the fantasy league :( Ham/Lui combo FTL. Going to switch to vettle for sure for the remainder of the season though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
rhfb said:
I know I'm in the minority since I don't hate hamiltons guts but he had the position, the crash was webbers fault, should have had a penalty, but whatever. Race is over nothing to do about it now but look to Suzuka. Also got screwed in the fantasy league :( Ham/Lui combo FTL. Going to switch to vettle for sure for the remainder of the season though.

The fuck about that was Webbers fault exactly?

Hammy has been getting by with overly aggressive passing moves since he got here. Live by the sword die by it.

Chris R

StoOgE said:
The fuck about that was Webbers fault exactly?

Hammy has been getting by with overly aggressive passing moves since he got here. Live by the sword die by it.
Every angle I saw showed that Webber's left side tires were over the curb and that the angle he took into the corner wasn't possible with another car outside. Hamilton was in front of Webber, and while he could have given Webber more room, why does he have to? Hamilton took an angle that left Webber room when he should have slammed the door shut.

Again, just what I saw, would have helped to have a non-shit onboard from Webbers point of view, but like I said, every angle I saw just showed me Webber trying to fit in a hole that wasn't big enough.

edit: So I take back about it being a penalty for Webber, this is what I'd consider a racing incident, but that doesn't make it any less his fault (probably 60% Webber, 40% Hammy, 100% FIA/Bernie/Ect for not letting lapped cars get a lap back during the SC period and fucking up the restarts for those people actually racing).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
rhfb said:
Every angle I saw showed that Webber's left side tires were over the curb and that the angle he took into the corner wasn't possible with another car outside. Hamilton was in front of Webber, and while he could have given Webber more room, why does he have to? Hamilton took an angle that left Webber room when he should have slammed the door shut.

Again, just what I saw, would have helped to have a non-shit onboard from Webbers point of view, but like I said, every angle I saw just showed me Webber trying to fit in a hole that wasn't big enough.

edit: So I take back about it being a penalty for Webber, this is what I'd consider a racing incident, but that doesn't make it any less his fault (probably 60% Webber, 40% Hammy, 100% FIA/Bernie/Ect for not letting lapped cars get a lap back during the SC period and fucking up the restarts for those people actually racing).

its tricky, because it was an outside overtake. For an inside overtake, the guy who is nudging in front also has the prime line, so the guy being overtaken can pull wide if necessary/can abort the normal racing line.

Because it was an outside overtake, the only person that could realistically have aborted late, was Hamilton. Especially on that corner he looked like he had tons of space to go wide, but he chose not to, as he probably wanted to make sure the door was closed on Webber.

Its either a racing incident or possibly even Hamilton's fault for not creating any space for webber to move into.

Chris R

I still think it is more Webbers fault. Sure Hamilton could have aborted, but the same could have been said of Webber. Again I want to see a proper on board from Webber but from what I saw I'd say more of the blame lies on him. I didn't rewind and over analyze time and time again, and like my opinion matters or will change anything anyways :lol

K444WSR

I think it really is a 50/50 case. Both possibly could have pulled out and both were within their rights to go for it - it's just unfortunate for Lewis that he came of worse. I still think he's got a shot but Alonso's looking mighty at the moment.

(BTW - hi, long time lurker, first time poster - be gente gaf)

Dead Man

K444WSR said:
I think it really is a 50/50 case. Both possibly could have pulled out and both were within their rights to go for it - it's just unfortunate for Lewis that he came of worse. I still think he's got a shot but Alonso's looking mighty at the moment.

(BTW - hi, long time lurker, first time poster - be gente gaf)
I'm always gente. :D Welcome.

Anyway, bad quality, but here are the frames I thought might be useful for those looking at the Webber/Hamilton incident. I have a crappy quality FLV if anyone wants the moving images. Click for larger

K444WSR

Thanks Deadman :D

Looking at the pics, it really is a carbon copy of the incident with Massa from the last race and I don't know if it's possible to attach blame to either driver.

Marc Gene said on the spanish tv that Alonso should be fine with the motors he has for the 4 races left, if none blow up. If its 3 races then I guess it should be easier. I'm more concerned about those engines being capped rather than blowing up entirely though.

Taking out Korea, its clear the 3 races left fit Red Bull more than Ferrari but I think Suzuka and Interlagos are awesome scenarios where Alonso skills can make a difference.

But I kinda want Korea to happen, awesome season needs one brand new circuit of suspense and doubts. Also, I don't want to wait a whole month between Suzuka and Interlagos.

Massa

DrM said:
Alonso used his 8th engine for this race. Normal life span is 2 or 3 races. So if it manage to survive Suzuka and Interlagos - hats off to Ferrari engine. Dunno how many engines he has for FP

He can use any of his 8 engines in each of the next 4 races, he's not using the same one engine for the rest of the season.

K444WSR said:
Thanks Deadman :D

Looking at the pics, it really is a carbon copy of the incident with Massa from the last race and I don't know if it's possible to attach blame to either driver.

I think the difference is that in Monza Hamilton was way too optimistic, while in Singapore Webber made a mistake and Hamilton had no option but to go for the overtake, really. Had he left a little bit more room for Webber he would have easily taken the position imo.

NHale

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Marc Gene said on the spanish tv that Alonso should be fine with the motors he has for the 4 races left, if none blow up. If its 3 races then I guess it should be easier. I'm more concerned about those engines being capped rather than blowing up entirely though.

Taking out Korea, its clear the 3 races left fit Red Bull more than Ferrari but I think Suzuka and Interlagos are awesome scenarios where Alonso skills can make a difference.

But I kinda want Korea to happen, awesome season needs one brand new circuit of suspense and doubts. Also, I don't want to wait a whole month between Suzuka and Interlagos.

I'm sure that with an 11 point difference to Webber, Ferrari would be pleased if Korea doesn't happen. It would remove a lot of the stress of managing the remaining engines.

Next race will be decisive especially if Korea doesn't happen. It will not decide the title but could decide which driver Red Bull will support for the rest of the championship. If Webber ends ahead of Vettel, I can't see how Red Bull doesn't make Webber the #1 driver, but if Vettel ends ahead it could end up helping Alonso and Hamilton like what happened with Raikkonen vs. McLaren in 2007.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Massa said:
He can use any of his 8 engines in each of the next 4 races, he's not using the same one engine for the rest of the season.
Problem is, that he has 2 engines that are still 'safe' to use (one from Monza, one from Spa), others have too many kilometers for safe use on the race (only for FP1 and FP2)

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
mrklaw said:
Hamilton and kobayashi :( who was the fucker that suggested hamilton as a bargain?

Me, he is even more of a bargain now!
How do they work out the driver rankings?
Massa is now the 3rd most expensive driver even though he was well down the order?

John_B

Dead Man said:
Hamilton is clearly first, though he does carry some of the blame. It was a perfect overtake to be, but considering that Hamilton is scarily aware and precise with his car, there is no doubt that he tried to force Webber to break by not leaving him enough room. Team RBR has been very clumpsy and rock headed this season, so forcing a situation like that on a driver absolutely won't back off is pretty dumb.

S. L.

Kobayashi Q&A:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87074

some pretty fun tidbits :lol
Q. Did you always dream of becoming a Formula 1 driver when you were a child?

KK: "No, never. I rather wanted to become a comedian – Amagasaki is quite popular for Japanese comedians. But I found I wasn't talented enough."

Q. Did you have support from your parents to go racing?

KK: "My parents were not at all interested in racing. They still don't own a road car. I bought myself a car twice, but both times my father sold it. He runs a Sushi delivery shop in Amagasaki. Most likely if I hadn't been quick in karting perhaps I would have become a sushi chef. But I hate raw fish."

Adamm

Q. Have you ever felt home sick? KK: "No. Of course it was strange when I first came to Europe, actually to Vicenza in Italy, because I didn't even speak English and everything was completely different. But it was also a lot of fun!"

That shouldnt matter much in Italy :lol

Koboyashi has to be one of my favorite drivers- mainly cause he is insane on the track :D

Dead Man

Source: ESPN

A mechanic has been reportedly dismissed by Toro Rosso following an incident before Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix which resulted in Jaime Alguersuari, who had qualified a strong 11th, having to start the race from the pit lane due to a coolant leak.

According to Spanish reports, an unidentified mechanic apparently discovered the leak with five hours to spare but did nothing but regularly wipe up the water puddle.

The problem therefore only came to the attention of the team after Alguersuari left the pits to form up on the grid. There was then not enough time to replace the radiator before the pit lane closed. "My hopes of having a good day disappeared," Alguersuari said afterwards.
Doh.

moojito

Porsche is to seriously evaluate a return to Formula 1, its new chairman Matthias Mueller has revealed at the Paris Motor Show on Friday.

Speaking to AUTOSPORT's sister publication Autocar, Mueller said he expected his company's motorsport activities - which encompasses Porsche and Audi through its tie-up with the Volkswagen Group - to include both top-level sportscars and F1 in the near future.

He made it clear that he expected either Porsche or Audi to have an LMP1 car in the future - while the other brand would then enter F1.

Audi has competed in the Le Mans prototype class since 1999 and is working on a new car - the R18 - for 2011. Porsche ended its factory sportscar programme in 1998 - though it did produce the LMP2 RS Spyder for customer teams from 2005 onwards - and would be the logical choice for a return to F1 for the first time since 1991.

"With LMP1, there are two classes and two brands - Audi and Porsche. We do not like to both go into LMP1 [against each other]; that is not so funny," Mueller told Autocar's website.

"So therefore we have to discuss whether it makes better sense for one of the [two] brands to go into LMP1, and the other brand into F1. So we will have a round-table to discuss the pros and cons."

Porsche's entry to F1 would most likely be as an engine supplier, rather than having a whole team. It would also make most sense for the company to enter the sport in 2013, when all-new engine regulations are set to be introduced.

source

I always thought it was a shame there was no porsche team in F1!

also:

South Korea's hopes of meeting the 11 October deadline to have their Yeongam circuit ready for the inaugural Korean Grand Prix have suffered another blow after a crane crashed into the main grandstand.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9050974.stm

Final nail in the coffin? North Korean sabotage? :eek:

John_B

Despite Le Mans and other series, it seems obvious for Volkswagen Group to be in Formula 1. If the engines are getting much smaller by 2013 it would make sense for Audi to be the engine supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom