• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

I'm surprised they allow driver to go tubing. Whiplash is pretty common from that activity. And I can't think of a worse injury for a F1 driver to get on a race weekend. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

avaya said:
You've got that one wrong. The Bridgestone intermediate was never matched by Michelin. The extreme wet was. Michelin could never match the Bridgestone inter from the wet-dry transition. Especially when the Bridgestone was a Ferraristone version.
Ah, I thought I had something wrong there. My memory fails me. PEACE.

AndyD

aka andydumi
subzero9285 said:
Murray Walker's reaction was hilarious, 'the ohhhhhhhhhh gooooddddddddddd!!!!!!' still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAuQ2Xem4Q

I miss Murray. :(

IIRC that is the race where no less than half the field crashed in turn 1. Or was that Belgium '03?

The moment above is one of my favorite F1 moments of all time though, as is the Hakkinen pass on Michael around the lapped car.

Pimpwerx

AndyD said:
Its not really deceptive because early on you can only upgrade to 1-2 other drivers, so you can compare those couple pretty easily. Right now, Liuzzi is the best return on investment, regardless of total points. If you are looking purely for bang for your buck, which early on is pretty much all we can do, then so far he seems like an excellent choice.

Long term, when there is lots of money available, then you can look at total points, but by then you wont just choose to upgrade between 1-2 drivers, bu you can comfortably afford any driver.

We have lots of other charts we are playing with, but with just 2 races, none of them mean much yet. Plus we have to keep a slight competitive advantage in the subleague. :D

And it looks like Malaysia will be rain soaked once again. Starting early means that at least we will get the chance to finish the race, even if it gets interrupted for rain.

So Vettel, Hamilton and Schumacher should do pretty well in heavy rain. I will never forget Michael racing by on 3 wheels after the Hakinnen incident.:lol
mrklaw had the best team last race.

LIU CHA For For She

That was worth 699 points last week. That's why I think we're at risk of being gapped. The teams above me should be able to afford Liuzzi with Kov. Kov's cheaper than Trolley, but faster (not sure how it'll work in the wet), and Liuzzi has been outscoring Sutil. I don't see a better option than FI right now, at least not with the money we're all playing with. So it's really about balancing the drivers and fuel, and I think I'm gonna try going with both Lotus drivers, unless practice tips STR or Renault for a better finish. If that's the case, then gambling on Kubica might be a good option. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Breaking news from Autosport:

Michelin is closing in on a deal to return to Formula 1 next year, AUTOSPORT has learned, but it may not be as a standard tyre supplier.

Although no final decision has been made, sources have revealed that the French tyre manufacturer is in advanced negotiations with the FIA about the terms of a return for the first time since it quit at the end of 2006.

It is believed that an announcement confirming Michelin's comeback could be made as soon as this month.

Current standard tyre supplier Bridgestone is leaving F1 at the end of this season, with the Japanese company's board deciding that it does not benefit enough to justify its investment in the sport.

Although a replacement standard tyre supplier would require the FIA to go through an official tender process, it is believed there is a chance the governing body will simply open up the entry criteria to allow any qualified manufacturer in - reigniting an F1 tyre war.

Should Michelin give the green light to return, then it could be against other tyre manufacturers such as Hankook and Kumho who have also been linked with a move into F1.

Michelin's last spell in F1 was from 2001 until 2006 – when it enjoyed world title success with Renault but also endured its fair share of controversy, including being forced to withdraw from the 2005 United States Grand Prix on safety grounds.

Michelin was not interested in becoming the sole tyre supplier when the tender process was opened for 2008 – believing it vital that the company faced competition if it was to invest in F1.

Earlier this month Michelin's managing partner Jean-Dominique Senard told the Bloomberg news agency that the French company was open to a move back to F1 if the sport could prove its environmental credentials.

"We might consider returning but there are some very clear conditions," he said.

Source

IMO, this is both a good and bad thing. A standard tyre leaves everyone on an equal playing field to adapt their car to the characteristics of the standard tyre.

A open-entry system (ALA TYRE WAR) leaves the outcome down to which is the better tyre for the track and weather conditions.
It could also lead to the Ferrari-Bridgestone situation of past where the tyre is customised to be the best fit for Ferrari.

A tyre war is certainly in the spirit of F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport but personaly i always hated it to see pilots win or lose only based on how well their tyre worked on a certain track.

So even if this years shitty tyre rules get fixed next year we will see new artificial tactic plays based not on rules but on tyre manufacturer :/ I can also see this destroying the closeness that we have in the field now. In worst case we will have single teams again that dominate a whole season.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pimpwerx said:
mrklaw had the best team last race.

LIU CHA For For She

That was worth 699 points last week. That's why I think we're at risk of being gapped. The teams above me should be able to afford Liuzzi with Kov. Kov's cheaper than Trolley, but faster (not sure how it'll work in the wet), and Liuzzi has been outscoring Sutil. I don't see a better option than FI right now, at least not with the money we're all playing with. So it's really about balancing the drivers and fuel, and I think I'm gonna try going with both Lotus drivers, unless practice tips STR or Renault for a better finish. If that's the case, then gambling on Kubica might be a good option. PEACE.

Not sure about Kov. I gave up on the second driver and focused on other stuff - eg decent fuel and a half decent chassis/engine. Bear in mind that those three (chassis/fuel/engine) can each score twice - more if you have a multi-team engine/fuel, whereas a driver can only score once. TBH I don't think I'll bother with anything less than a solid mid-tier driver as my second. not until I've got a really solid package around them.

I think I'm happy with my fuel. In theory Total has more coverage, but RBR is a little too unreliable at the moment. If they start picking up more regular places I'll change up. although they're a good bet for qualy points.

when do we get the money from the bonus question? Not until after the race?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
navanman said:
Sounds awful. One of the most boring periods in F1 and lead to a drop-off in viewer figures.

when do we get the money from the bonus question? Not until after the race?
The deadline is at 20:00 tonight (GMT), so I'll say a couple of hours after then.

Gavarms

Well at least we now have definitive proof about last years race that is was Michael who made the call to bring Kimi in early and ruin his race!

Q: Did you see the conditions last year that led to the race being shortened?
MS: Yes, I was here last year. I was on the pit wall and was jointly responsible for calling our guys in too early to make a switch to the extreme wet tyres, when the conditions didn’t really require it.
Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/4/10610.html

moojito

subzero9285 said:
Source

Is Jake pulling our legs?

I don't think it'd be a stretch to suggest that if the track condition at 5pm on Sunday is the same as it was when it was red flagged last year, they might not bother starting it.

The bbc weather dude I linked a few pages ago was saying that it's pretty much impossible to predict the weather over there days in advance. They have to rely on what they call nowcasting which is basically looking up a few minutes in advance and saying "yip, s'gonna rain".

the-weather-ollie-williams-weather-raining-sideways-family-g-demotivational-poster-1204882626.png

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
The site is updated with bonus funds. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
curls said:
The site is updated with bonus funds. :D
Nice, made my changes.

That said, if we don't have a race this year, or its another rain soaked and interrupted/canceled event, I hope they skip Malaysia for next year, or move it to a time of day without 100% rain.

avaya

navanman said:
Breaking news from Autosport:

Source

IMO, this is both a good and bad thing. A standard tyre leaves everyone on an equal playing field to adapt their car to the characteristics of the standard tyre.

A open-entry system (ALA TYRE WAR) leaves the outcome down to which is the better tyre for the track and weather conditions.
It could also lead to the Ferrari-Bridgestone situation of past where the tyre is customised to be the best fit for Ferrari.

2003 was a Ferraristone season.

2003 was the best season of the last decade by a long long way.

DieH@rd

Banned
/f1racemaneger

Current team: Lotus Drivers, Force India chassis&engine and Total [Ren,RBR, For] fuel. I think this is a great combination [for my budget].

I fell from 12th to 17th place, cos of Trulli's problem with car. He didn't even start the race :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom