• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
moojito said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/2010/03/formula-one-weather-forecast.shtml

Here's an interesting discussion of the weather situation in Sepang this weekend. They're moving it from 5pm local time start back to 4pm but that still leaves a 40% chance of a storm during the qualifying and race.
You can find people from Kuala Lumpur on several motorsport forums and they are the best info you can get. Some are even monitoring every day weather from 2 pm to 6 pm and it is raining almost every day, from light rain to total downpours. It is also possible that we will have dry race (with heavy rain in last 10 laps :D )

moojito

DrM said:
You can find people from Kuala Lumpur on several motorsport forums and they are the best info you can get. Some are even monitoring every day weather from 2 pm to 6 pm and it is raining almost every day, from light rain to total downpours. It is also possible that we will have dry race (with heavy rain in last 10 laps :D )

That would be awesome. Given the advantage the people who go in first have (due to the forced gap thing in the pits), people would want to get in early, but at the same time wouldn't want to come in at the first sign of rain for it then to stay dry-ish.

Pimpwerx

Templar Wizard said:
you are so wrong on many levels.
first off, alonso and hamilton DONT hate or dislike each other, thats a complete fabrication. there were clashes when they were in the same team, but alonso one of the first into the maclaren pit in Brazil to hug hamilton.

the problem in 2007 was with Dennis and Alonso, As alonso will say himself, he came into the team on a promise from Dennis and then the gears shifted, he said he enjoyed having a very fast teammate.
David Coultard said that the positions in Maclaren are very clearly defined, he said that in some drivers briefings that Ron would only focus on Mika and do their best to make sure they beat DC. So the internals werent so clean cut as Maclaren like to point out.

i could go on.

also last week was the first you heard something disagreable from him? did you not see the last australian GP, or his rants to the media in 2007??

also this hamiltons 3rd year in F1, and the cracks are continually showing. he is fast he is talented but i would place money on problems inside maclaren this year with button, but not because button is faster.
1. I don't think Australia last year was really Lewis' fault. What's a driver need to feed misinformation to a steward for, unless he was instructed by someone else? All these guys come up through the formulas, and learn how to deal with race control. The curious nature of the infraction, and McLaren's actions afterwards suggest to me that the wrong person had Lewis' ear, plain and simple. And following Ferrarigate, it's understandable why he'd listen. Before Melbourne this year, Lewis has been a team player.

2. It's my perception, but Alonso put a harder wheel to Lewis than he has any other teammate. He did it at Spa, going into Eau Rouge, and at Interlagos as well. There might have been a couple other instances as well. Alonso was under more pressure that season than he'd ever been under. He steamrolled Trolley. To me, actions speak louder than words, and there's no doubt in my mind that Alonso was not comfortable with the challenge Lewis posed.

3. What cracks are showing? His mouth cracked in Australia, but his foot did a better job than anyone else. In qualies, he was the only guy to go slower in Q2 than Q1, and it appears the team cocked-up his tires. Other than that, he's been consistently faster than his reigning champion teammate. The same with last year. Where does Lewis show cracks that everyone else doesn't show gaping holes? Give Lewis the Brawn, and he'd have smashed Michael's record for wins and poles. Everyone has their off days, but there's no one other than Alonso that I could see anyone choosing over Lewis Hamilton. He's simply the best talent in the series, right now.

4. Not sure on the McLaren team structure, but I don't doubt there was favoritism. Mika was clearly favored, and so was Kimi. But Mika was leagues better than DC, and Kimi better than JPM. In a tough fight against Schuey, McLaren did the right thing backing Mika. I'm not sure how it worked when Alonso was there, but it can't be argued that he wasn't given a fair chance. He was allowed to fight very aggressively with his teammate for position, and the car was just as quick as Lewis'. It seems kinda lame blaming team chemistry for Alonso's demise, when coming in he was Mr. Teambuilder. His Renault team loved him, but the McLaren boys can't be faulted for taking a shine to someone with the tenacity of Hamilton. Lewis earned his fans through performance, as I'm sure I'm not the only one that expected Fonso to own him with ease. PEACE.

AcridMeat

Banned
AndyD said:
Here's just one chart that we have put together:

points_earned_per_m_spent.png

Should help people decide where they get most bang for buck in the driver department. I know I have some hard earned cash that needs to be well invested for the next race.

Do we have any weather predictions?

Thank you very much, I'm still annoyed I didn't have the money for Kubi last race.

Did you possibly make the same thing for Fuel/Chassis? I'm considering switching to shell and/or Williams this race.

edit: The chart is a little deceptive considering the more expensive drivers who have the same ratio as cheaper drivers are still better to have if you can afford them. Right?

McLaren
Jenson Button: "It was a tremendous achievement to score our first win of the season in Melbourne last week, and it's given every single member of the team even greater enthusiasm for this weekend. Even so, I think we travel to Sepang mindful that the characteristics of the circuit probably won't suit our car as well as it will suit some of the others - but I'm confident that, once again, we'll be fighting at or near the front.

"We're only two races in, but I think the development race will already be starting to have an influence on performance. It's the rate of improvement that will most influence the battle at the front. And I'm confident we can deliver in this area: it was something I watched the team doing throughout 2009, and it was one of the key reasons for deciding to hold talks with the team. I'm convinced we have the firepower to develop faster than our key rivals.

"Sepang is an awesome circuit, one that I love driving, and I think that I'll be able to further develop and improve my relationship with the car here. It's a circuit that not only requires smooth and precise input, but it also needs real commitment through some of the high-speed stuff. I think it's a circuit that every driver loves."
Lewis Hamilton: "Sepang has some of the best high-speed corners on the entire calendar. And, this year, I think we've got a car that will be far better suited to the circuit than we did last year, so I'm heading to Malaysia optimistic of a good result.

"It's a fast circuit, that requires a well-balanced car with a good level of downforce. In some ways, it's quite similar to Barcelona, where we tested well before the start of the season, so I'm optimistic that we'll be competitive this weekend. However, I still think it might be difficult to make up the difference that's needed in qualifying. Hopefully, that's something that we'll be able to solve as soon as possible.

"Last year we saw what could happen here once the weather took over. While I'm hopeful that this year's race will be run in the dry, you can never discount the threat of rain. Either way, I think we'll be competitive."
Martin Whitmarsh Team principal: "Every single member of this team worked tirelessly to put us in a position to win the Australian Grand Prix – and we were tremendously buoyed by both Jenson and Lewis's incredible performances. As a result, we travel to Malaysia keen to maintain the level of competitiveness we demonstrated in Melbourne.

"We're under no illusions that the regular pacesetters will once again be up at the front, but I think we've now shown that we're a match for the competition – particularly with our race pace, which is up there with the very best.

"On a broader note, it was very satisfying to see Formula 1 deliver such an invigorating and exciting race in Melbourne, and I hope that this weekend's race can continue that trend. It's a circuit that delivers natural spectacle and is one of the best places in the world for watching grand prix cars at high-speed. It looks like we have all the ingredients for a classic season."

Heidfeld struggling as reserve driver
"It feels strange, especially when it's just before qualifying, I'm struggling with it," he told the German national newspaper FAZ.

"Before, it (qualifying) was always a moment where you had the adrenaline rush and then off you went. I really miss it," said Heidfeld, who will be present for all 19 races this year in case Schumacher or Nico Rosberg are unable to race.

Heidfeld insists he does not regret his decision to turn down lesser offers this year in the hope of finding a "top team" to race with.

"I am convinced that I will get a place in a (race) car again, although of course I am worried and would prefer to be there now."
Source

Lotus unveil new sponsor
Lotus is expected to shortly confirm a new sponsorship deal with Maxis, a leading Malaysian mobile network.

The logo of the Kuala Lumpur based company, whose headquarters is the impressive Maxis Tower near the Petronas Twin Towers, was seen on the front nose of the green T127 car at an event on Tuesday.

The branding was not on the cars driven by Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen in Melbourne last weekend.

But the deal is likely to be confirmed this week, as the team embarks on a busy round of promotional activities leading into its home race.

The Maxis logo was seen on the front nose assembly in Kuala Lumpur, at the launch of the new Lotus-branded Proton Satria road car.

Headed by Malaysian entrepreneur Tony Fernandes, Lotus was disappointed when state oil company Petronas decided to sponsor Mercedes' new team in 2010 and beyond.

Lotus' other third party sponsors are the well-known American news network CNN, and the London clothing label Hackett.
Source

Todt to weigh in on Hamilton hoon incident
FIA president Jean Todt will respond to the lingering saga following incidents involving Lewis Hamilton and Mark Webber during the 2010 Australian GP event.

Lewis Hamilton was charged by local Victorian police for doing a burnout on his way out of the Albert Park circuit late on Friday, prompting Mark Webber to slam the "nanny state" that now exists in Australia.

Following high-level meetings in Australia on Tuesday, race promoter Ron Walker said Todt will respond by informing teams about the "protocol" of all the host nations they visit.

"The protocol will be about a list of what can be done in this country and the rules and regulations for the (other) places they visit," he said.

"I actually don't think he (Hamilton) knew he was breaking any laws or would have any problems doing wheel spin-outs.

"They are going to Malaysia this week ... he would probably get a big round of applause there," added Walker.
Source

Coulthard: Lewis needs a manager
Having ended his lifelong managerial association with father Anthony ahead of this season, Hamilton suffered a bruising weekend in Melbourne which featured a police stoppage for a road incident on Friday before a lowly 11th place qualifying position on Saturday and disagreement with his team over its tyre strategy on Sunday.

"His behaviour was in stark contrast to that of his team-mate Jenson Button, who reigned serene in Melbourne, and it just strikes me that something is amiss," Scot Coulthard wrote in his column for The Daily Telegraph.

"All sorts of questions arise from the incident when Hamilton was stopped by the Melbourne police. What has happened to Lewis' relationship with his father? Why was he in such a "distressed" state on Saturday? Come to that, why did everyone get so worked up about it all in the first place?"

Adding that he sees the episode to have been widely viewed as 'completely over the top', Coulthard does question Hamilton's own response. "We all awoke to pictures on Saturday morning of Lewis sheltering behind his trainer, Clayton Green, in the car as if he had something to hide," David continued. "It looked to me like he was scared of the opprobrium that he sensed would follow.

"I have seen Lewis grow up and the young man I know is not only a brilliant driver but a streetwise, well-rounded character. His startled, anxious response to both the lying scandal he was caught up in last year — which was in no way his fault — and now this have been out of all proportion.

"Where is the reassuring arm around his shoulder? Where is the sound advice coming from? Where is his father? Lewis' decision to dispense with Anthony's services as his Manager last month was hailed as a coming-of-age move on his part. But the folly of not appointing a replacement showed over the weekend. Having no Manager is like a top tennis player having no coach. It's fine when you are playing well but as soon as you are struggling people will point to it as a weakness…Lewis needs to appoint a replacement soon so he can concentrate on his day job."
Source

Stirling Moss continues recuperation
Having been at home on Saturday 7 March, Stirling - who finished in the top three of the Formula 1 World Championship every season between 1955 and 1961 - proceeded to enter his lift from the third floor, not realising that the outside doors had opened with the cab still positioned one floor up, due to a malfunction.

"It was only three floors," he joked when explaining the accident to The Daily Mail. "It was all over so quickly, there was no time for any screaming. It was my own fault - if I had looked before stepping in, none of this would have happened. Of all the accidents I've had over the years, this is the most annoying.

"If they took an X-ray of my whole body with all its plates, pins and rawlplugs, it would look like something from an art collection…my guardian angel has certainly been busy over the years."

Having packed for an American holiday and due to dine that night at a nearby Indian restaurant, Sir Stirling was at home with wife Lady Susie, son Elliot and his wife Helen. "The last thing I remember is saying to my daughter-in-law, 'We'll go down in the lift, as these two won't come down with us'," Stirling recalled. "I opened the door and said, 'Come on, let's go.'

"I stepped sideways into the lift, presuming it was there, to wait for Helen to join me, then plunged feet first down this big black hole - thank God I stepped in first, instead of standing back for Helen. I hit my shoulder on the way down, which was probably quite a good thing because, by all accounts, it slowed my descent a little, but I must have gone into shock because I can't remember any of it now."

Once recovered, Stirling can look forward to receiving a rare $1.7m (£1.1m) Porsche RS 61 Spyder, auctioned for by a friend and dating back to 1962 - ironically, the same year he suffered the career-ending crash at Goodwood which left him in a coma for six months.
Source

Mallya targets Malaysia podium
Although Adrian Sutil has out-qualified his team-mate in both Bahrain and Australia, it has been only Vitantonio Liuzzi who has scored for the Silverstone-based team so far, with ninth and seventh places translating to sixth in the Constructors' Championship.

"Adrian is a very quick and great driver, so it must be a matter of karma - there is no other explanation," Mallya told the official F1 website. "He - and Tonio - was quite capable of finishing (in Australia) and finishing in a better position than he had started from, so that was just unfortunate. As we believe in karma in India, I have to do something about that!"

Mallya is confident, however, that a pre-season technical reshuffle will not affect the team negatively, with James Key having left to become Sauber Technical Director, replacing Willy Rampf. "In this sport it would be unwise to say that a team's performance only depends on one individual," Vijay continued.

"James is top class and he contributed a lot; he left us for better prospects but we have a very strong team in-house and have supplemented this team even more - these guys are continuing to develop the car even more and making it more and more competitive."

Happy to have achieved 2009's target of scoring points - indeed, a second place in Belgium as well as fourth in Italy - Mallya is now motivated by his home nation's inaugural Grand Prix. "As per plan we score regular points, maybe a few podiums along the way, and become definite podium contenders for 2011," explained the forward-thinking Mallya.

"As I understand it, the Indian Grand Prix will be at the back end of next season, which should give us plenty of time - and I want us to be on the podium."
Source

Dead Man

Harry_Tequila said:
No chance of that happening. It takes around 10 years for a team to enter from scratch to be able to realistically have a chance of competing with the top teams.
Red Bull says hi. Actually, I can't think of any teams that have started of absolute scratch and been successful in the modern era, maybe Brawn/Honda if you want to count them.

Somtaaw

Banned
idahoblue said:
Red Bull says hi. Actually, I can't think of any teams that have started of absolute scratch and been successful in the modern era, maybe Brawn/Honda if you want to count them.

Does Jordan counts? 3rd position in the 1999 season

Chris R

I bet every team will be within the 107% rule by the mid point of the season if not sooner. Heck, at Australian only 3 cars didn't make it under the 107% rule (1'29.793 would have been the 107% time, Chandhok had a 1'30.613). Will the new teams be racing for Constructors' Championships any time soon? Probably not, but they won't be backmarkers for much longer either, thanks to the old 80/20 rule of thumb I bet.

Scipius

idahoblue said:

Red Bull were once Jaguar who were once Stewart. Stewart started out back in 1997. Brawn were once Honda who were once BAR, who in turn took over the facilities of Tyrrell. As mentioned, Jordan was closer, started in 1991, competing for the championship in 1999. They did have a lot of experience in lower formulas though.

Massa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJ4LuE0yoY

Bruno Senna / Mark Webber comparison.
Mark Webber (Red Bull) and Bruno Senna (HRT) on full lap of Melbourne circuit. This event was on the qualification. Look at the difference driving style's and the different car reactions."

Timbuktu said:
Really should have stayed with Sauber, their drivers are really not cutting it at the moment.

Sauber didn't want him I think.

Dead Man

Scipius said:
Red Bull were once Jaguar who were once Stewart. Stewart started out back in 1997. Brawn were once Honda who were once BAR, who in turn took over the facilities of Tyrrell. As mentioned, Jordan was closer, started in 1991, competing for the championship in 1999. They did have a lot of experience in lower formulas though.
Yeah, so except for teams who took over existing teams there have been no real successes in F1 for the last what, 20 years? Except Jordan whose success was brief.

That makes me a bit sad.

No investigation into Red Bull suspension
The FIA is currently not investigating the legality of Red Bull's Formula One car.

After the Renault-powered RB6 dominated qualifying in Melbourne last Saturday, McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh hinted the car could be concealing a controversial ride-height adjustment system.

Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn then called for the governing body to look into the matter "just in fairness to Red Bull" due to the "accusations".

"I think it is necessary for the FIA just to clarify where we stand," he added.

Red Bull's Christian Horner, having denied the Adrian Newey-designed car features the system, said he would welcome the move.

The Swiss newspaper Blick, whose F1 correspondent is the vastly experienced Roger Benoit, reported this week that the FIA "is now investigating" whether the Red Bull is somehow adjusting its ride-height depending on the amount of fuel in the tank.

"Whether there is a decision before the Malaysian Grand Prix is open," read the report.

But according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, an FIA spokesman said in Sepang: "There is no investigation."

With rumours insisting that the Red Bull car is somehow regulating its ride height between qualifying and the race, the report said an investigation will only occur if a team lodges an official protest.
Source

DarkJC said:
Hey so as a newbie to the sport, can anyone tell me why the manufacturers agreed not to use KERS this year?
A poor uptake by the teams and the FIA wanting to cut costs even more, so FOTA agreed to drop it for the 2010 season, even though it's still in the regulations.

Malaysian weather to be biggest challenge
After monsoonal rain halted running during last year's twilight Malaysian Grand Prix, afternoon thunderstorms are again forecast for the 2010 edition at Sepang.

The race time has at least been brought forward from 5pm to 4pm for this weekend's race outside Kuala Lumpur, after the Grand Prix last year ended in near-darkness.

But the threat of late afternoon rain, in unbearable humidity and high temperatures, has again been a feature in and around the city so far this week.

Mercedes' Norbert Haug said: "This climate is the greatest challenge for

the teams, cars and drivers."

The same sort of weather is forecast throughout the weekend, although the chance of very heavy rain is mercifully smaller for the decisive qualifying and race sessions on Saturday and Sunday.
Source

Renault
Vitaly Petrov:

Vitaly, your race in Melbourne ended early, but what did you think of your first F1 street race?

I liked the circuit and it was quite bumpy and challenging, just like most street circuits. The wet weather also made it interesting and I really enjoyed the first few laps of the race in the damp. I was a shame to retire so early because I think I could have challenged for points in the race. Although I'm disappointed, I still take a lot of positives from the weekend because it's clear that we have a competitive car with a lot of potential, and my aim to get the maximum from it in Malaysia.

Are you finding it easier to work with the team and set the car up?

F1 is such a steep learning curve, but I feel like I'm improving each time I get in the car. After two races I now have more experience and a better understanding of how to work with the team to improve the car. This is something where I will get better throughout the season because it's a big difference compared to GP2.

How is the balance of the R30? What do you feel are the strengths of the car at the moment?

The car is generally well balanced, consistent and stable in the corners, which makes it an easy car to drive, but we still need more overall downforce to get closer to the front. There will be some more aero updates on the car in Malaysia, which should give us a bit more performance.

What are your expectations for Sepang?

It's a track I know already from GP2 so I won't have to spend time learning the circuit on Friday, which means I can concentrate more on finding a good set-up and evaluating the tyres. I really hope I can finish the race, which has to be my target because it's important for me to get more miles in the car and experience a full race distance. Robert's result in Melbourne has shown the car has potential and hopefully I can score my first points soon.
Robert Kubica:

Robert, after the disappointment of Bahrain you must have been delighted to finish second in Melbourne.

It was pretty much the perfect race and a great result for the whole team. My start was good and I took things quite easy in the first corner to avoid a repeat of what happened in Bahrain. Then I made up some positions with the early pit stop and I have to say a big thank you to my mechanics for the great job they did in the pits. The rest of the race was all about being consistent and not making mistakes, which was tough with the changing track conditions and the degradation of the soft tyres. I had to do 50 laps on the soft compound tyres and it wasn't easy to keep the quicker cars behind me.

From the outside it was an action-packed race. How did it feel from the cockpit?

For me it was actually quite a straightforward race because after my pit stop I simply had to concentrate on being consistent and looking after the tyres. I had some good battles with Hamilton and Massa, but I think most of the overtaking and accidents happened behind me.

How do you feel the R30 is evolving with the new updates?

It's still difficult to judge because Albert Park is a completely different circuit to Bahrain. There are certainly some positive aspects of the car that I'm pleased with because the car has good consistency and is easy to drive. However, there are still areas where we are missing performance and where we need to improve if we are to get on terms with the top teams. Melbourne was not a normal race because of the changeable weather and, although it's great to finish on the podium, we need to remain realistic about our level of performance. These unusual races are not that common and we need to work hard to make sure we can fight for the podium in every kind of race.

Looking ahead to Sepang, it's a circuit with low, medium and high speed corners. How do you think the R30 will perform?

Again it's difficult to predict because we have only had two races. I don't think it will be an ideal circuit for us, but on the other hand we discovered in Australia that the car performs better in warmer conditions and the heat in Malaysia might help us. It's a demanding track because there are lots of different corners and it's so wide that it gives you the confidence to really push and find the limits. Recently the high-speed corners haven't been too challenging, but I think they will be more demanding this year with the heavier fuel loads. There's also a high risk of rain storms, and with the race starting late on Sunday afternoon, we could have another wet race.

Force India
Adrian Sutil:

Unfortunately Australia produced a DNF for you, but the event until that point had been positive. What are your thoughts on the weekend now?

It was obviously disappointing to retire so early on in the race [lap nine]. I started to lose power and under the circumstances retiring the car was really the only thing we could do. It was a bit frustrating as I think it could have been a good race; we were in a good position, I was keeping pace with the leaders and normally in these changeable conditions the car and the team perform well. Until that point the weekend had been quite good. Yet again we got into Q3 and I felt I could even have qualified higher, so that's very positive. It's showing that we're pretty competitive across different tracks and not that far behind the big four so at this point it's very encouraging.

What are your thoughts looking ahead to Malaysia?

Malaysia is always a good event, very tough physically, but there's a variety of corners and also some overtaking spots so it's an event I look forward to. The weather, as we saw last year, always throws up some interesting challenges. This year we don't have to pray for rain as we have done in the past, we can deal with the conditions whatever they are. I really want to get some points on board in this race, I've had two races where I should have scored, so I want to finish the job now.

How have you been preparing for the physical challenges of the Malaysian Grand Prix?

Malaysia is such a tough event with the heat and the humidity. You can lose up to four kilos over the race so fitness and concentration is absolutely key. The night after the Australian Grand Prix I flew straight to Malaysia to acclimatise and I've also spent three days in Langkawi training, doing a lot of running, swimming, sea kayaking and so on, really just getting used to exercise in these type of conditions. I feel really good, very relaxed, and confident in the team and the car now so I can't wait to get back out there.
Tonio Liuzzi:

Points for the second race in a row in Australia! How was the race for you?

The car was getting better and better the more the track was drying up. We suffered a lot of understeer at the beginning, but the front wing adjuster was working well, and we were able to tune it a little bit more and get closer to optimum set-up during the race. The final 15 laps were quite hard because Barrichello did a two-stop strategy, and was closing the gap really fast, but I was trying to manage the rear tyres and trying to control the car behind me, and it worked out. I'm obviously really happy as it confirms what I said from the beginning of the year, that I am back and I am ready for big results as long as the car stays together and gives me the possibility. I had a really strong race when I came back in Monza last year, and we are scoring points now. I just want to give back as much as I can to the team because they believed in me.

Where is the pace of the team now relative to the rest of the field?

Unfortunately to match Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and McLaren's speed is difficult for us, but the team is working really hard. For us the main competitor at the beginning seemed to be Renault, but now they've made a big step forward. I think it will be our main target to try to catch them in Malaysia to beat them in the championship. For sure it won't be easy because they are a great team and they will develop. But we are working hard back at Silverstone, and working well.

Any thoughts on Malaysia?

I think it will be a very interesting race for us, although it will be really hot and really difficult! But the track should suit more the characteristics of our car, so I think we'll be in an interesting position. I've got to work on my qualifying performance and try and get into Q3 for the first time and then, of course, keep those points coming.

Herbert to join Malaysia stewards
The racing driver in the stewards' office this weekend will be Johnny Herbert, Formula 1 governing body the FIA has confirmed, as the Englishman continues the new-for-2010 trend of one past or current racer joining three other adjudicators.

After Jean Todt was voted into presidency of the FIA from Max Mosley last autumn, the Frenchman's idea of introducing a racing driver to Race Control is aimed at achieving more accurate decisions with regards to on-track incidents.

With 4-time F1 Champion Alain Prost and 8-time Le Mans 24 Hour winner Tom Kristensen having surveyed in Bahrain and Australia respectively, Herbert travels to Sepang - scene of his last F1 race for Jaguar in 2000 - with 160 Grand Prix starts under his belt, including wins in the British and Italian Grands Prix of 1995 for Benetton as well as the 1999 European Grand Prix for Stewart.
Source

Hamilton: Qualifying performance needs to be improved
“In both Bahrain and Australia we've felt more comfortable with our race pace than the pace we showed in qualifying,” the 2008 world champion is quoted as having said by The Guardian. “While that's encouraging, it has become clear we need to improve our qualifying pace if we're to have a regular shot at winning races.

“It's all very well being quick in the race, but if you can't make up places from your grid position, then your race is still going to be a struggle. We can take home the positives; our car is fast – much faster than it was this time last year – and it seems to be reliable. Now we need to work on single-lap pace, the sooner the better.”

“The key to a good championship is consistent points-scoring,” the eleven-time grand prix-winner explained. “Fortunately, the new points system makes it easier to pick up points in each race. Obviously you want to score as many points as you can, but it's still important sometimes to go for the finish, pocket the points and live to fight another day.

“Even at this early stage in the season we've seen it only takes a slight mistake or a small mechanical problem to drop you down the order. That's something we as a team have been very good at avoiding over the past few years.”

“Sepang has some of the best high-speed corners on the entire calendar,” he enthused, “and this year, I think we've got a car that will be far better-suited to the circuit than we did last year. It's a fast circuit that requires a well-balanced car with a good level of downforce. In some ways it's quite similar to Barcelona, where we tested well before the start of the season, so I'm optimistic that we'll be competitive this weekend.

“However, I still think it might be difficult to make up the difference that's needed in qualifying. Hopefully, that's something we'll be able to solve as soon as possible. Last year we saw what could happen here once the weather took over. While I'm hopeful that this year's race will be run in the dry, you can never discount the threat of rain. Either way, I think we'll be competitive.”
Source

Ecclestone: Schumacher can go on for another ten years

425269-1.jpg

Despite the German legend's somewhat underwhelming return to top flight competition thus far in the opening two races of the 2010 world championship campaign, F1 commercial rights-holder Bernie Ecclestone has expressed his opinion that record-breaking multiple world champion Michael Schumacher could yet go on for another 'ten years' at the highest level.

For a man with a staggering 91 grand prix victories to his name and seven drivers' crowns – making him by some margin the most successful competitor the sport has ever seen – sixth place in Bahrain and a lowly tenth Down Under in Melbourne last weekend represented unaccustomed territory indeed, and Schumacher's comparatively inert form in the Australian Grand Prix was undeniably a far cry from his level of performance of yore.

Three years away from the grand prix grid and his advancing years at 41 have dimmed the Kerpen native's scintillating raw pace and competitive spirit, the detractors claim – and should there be no dramatic re-emergence of the 'Schumi' of old between now and season's end, there are predictions that he may decide to call time on his comeback with Mercedes Grand Prix two years before his three-year contract expires at the end of 2010.

The man himself has explained away his unwillingness to rejoin the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) that he formerly led for so long by stating that he is 'not here for the long-term future, only for a limited time, [so] I don't think I should get involved' – but Ecclestone is not so sure.

“I think his new career will be long, maybe even ten years,” the Formula One Management (FOM) chief executive told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, whilst Mercedes reserve driver Nick Heidfeld concurred in an interview with AZ that his compatriot 'will continue to get better from now on'.
Source

Bernie's just plain bonkers sometimes.

zugzug

DarkJC said:
Hey so as a newbie to the sport, can anyone tell me why the manufacturers agreed not to use KERS this year?

Very expensive to use and implement correctly and well. the only teams used it for most of the season was Mcclaren who built most of the system if I recall cuz McClaren divison was under contract to built it by FIA. McClaren and Ferrari were the ones to use it most every race.

Scipius

idahoblue said:
Yeah, so except for teams who took over existing teams there have been no real successes in F1 for the last what, 20 years? Except Jordan whose success was brief.

All it really means is that it takes a while to get your bearings and be a consistent winner. Just throwing money at it doesn't work, see Toyota.

Dead Man

subzero9285 said:
Malaysia weekend forecast

WeatherSat.png

WeatherSun.png
Fucking hell Bernie is an idiot for changing the time of the race. No one will watch it at all if it's rained out you stupid little monkey.
Scipius said:
All it really means is that it takes a while to get your bearings and be a consistent winner. Just throwing money at it doesn't work, see Toyota.
Yeah, I agree with that, just looking at it a bit differently, that's all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AcridMeat said:
Thank you very much, I'm still annoyed I didn't have the money for Kubi last race.

Did you possibly make the same thing for Fuel/Chassis? I'm considering switching to shell and/or Williams this race.

edit: The chart is a little deceptive considering the more expensive drivers who have the same ratio as cheaper drivers are still better to have if you can afford them. Right?

Its not really deceptive because early on you can only upgrade to 1-2 other drivers, so you can compare those couple pretty easily. Right now, Liuzzi is the best return on investment, regardless of total points. If you are looking purely for bang for your buck, which early on is pretty much all we can do, then so far he seems like an excellent choice.

Long term, when there is lots of money available, then you can look at total points, but by then you wont just choose to upgrade between 1-2 drivers, bu you can comfortably afford any driver.

We have lots of other charts we are playing with, but with just 2 races, none of them mean much yet. Plus we have to keep a slight competitive advantage in the subleague. :D

And it looks like Malaysia will be rain soaked once again. Starting early means that at least we will get the chance to finish the race, even if it gets interrupted for rain.

So Vettel, Hamilton and Schumacher should do pretty well in heavy rain. I will never forget Michael racing by on 3 wheels after the Hakinnen incident.:lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah, I meant more for later on when the money is there. Thanks a lot for it, though I also agree you should keep a bit of competitiveness. :D

Here's hoping we don't get half points this weekend but off and on rain.

a176

Banned
Can't wait for cosworth teams to get proper aero packages.

Lotus is already doing superb, considering their performance vs other cosworth teams. Williams is more or less toe-to-to with the other teams but definitely lose out on overall speed on the straights.

AndyD said:
Its not really deceptive because early on you can only upgrade to 1-2 other drivers, so you can compare those couple pretty easily. Right now, Liuzzi is the best return on investment, regardless of total points. If you are looking purely for bang for your buck, which early on is pretty much all we can do, then so far he seems like an excellent choice.

Long term, when there is lots of money available, then you can look at total points, but by then you wont just choose to upgrade between 1-2 drivers, bu you can comfortably afford any driver.

We have lots of other charts we are playing with, but with just 2 races, none of them mean much yet. Plus we have to keep a slight competitive advantage in the subleague. :D

And it looks like Malaysia will be rain soaked once again. Starting early means that at least we will get the chance to finish the race, even if it gets interrupted for rain.

So Vettel, Hamilton and Schumacher should do pretty well in heavy rain. I will never forget Michael racing by on 3 wheels after the Hakinnen incident.:lol
Murray Walker's reaction was hilarious, 'the ohhhhhhhhhh gooooddddddddddd!!!!!!' still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAuQ2Xem4Q

I miss Murray. :(

avaya

Pimpwerx said:
Yup. Bridgestone wets were godly. Michelin's inters developed into godly tires too, but that race, the Ferraris walked on water. PEACE.

You've got that one wrong. The Bridgestone intermediate was never matched by Michelin. The extreme wet was. Michelin could never match the Bridgestone inter from the wet-dry transition. Especially when the Bridgestone was a Ferraristone version.

Virgin to be redesigned
Wirth Research, as distinct from the team Virgin Racing or Manor Motorsport, is set to foot the estimated 1 million pounds sterling bill for redesigning the VR-01 F1 car.

It emerged a few days ago that the outfit was given a green light by the FIA to change its homologated chassis, because the fuel tank was found to be between 15-20 litres too small to power a full race distance.

The revised car, to be ready to debut in Spain in early May, will feature a completely revised chassis and bodywork.

Virgin chief executive Graeme Lowdon said the problem was a "supplier issue"; a phrase repeated by Sir Richard Branson in Melbourne, when he revealed that his reaction to the news about the fuel tank had been "f**k me".

"It will be the supplier whose issue it is who has agreed to redesign it, so it won't actually cost the team anything," the British billionaire added.

It was assumed that the 'supplier' in question was the external fuel tank maker, with rumours in Australia last weekend suggesting the desired capacity had been mistakenly recorded as litres instead of kilograms.

But Nick Wirth, Virgin's technical director but engaged through his separate Oxfordshire-based engineering group, admitted on Wednesday that it is the responsibility of his company Wirth Research to pay for the VR-01 redesign.

Branson tried to put a positive spin on the situation in Melbourne.

"It will actually give the car some practice time. Over the next five races we will learn more and more about the car," he said.
Source

Piquet launches libel suit
Sacked Renault driver Nelson Piquet, and his triple world championship-winning father of the same name, have launched a libel court action against Flavio Briatore.

According to the Daily Mail, the pair are seeking 200,000 pounds sterling, with the team's ousted boss Briatore - who was also 24-year-old Piquet's manager - summoned by the High Court in London.

The suit centres around the Singapore race-fixing scandal known in F1 circles as 'crashgate', where Piquet deliberately crashed during the 2008 Singapore GP and blew the whistle on his co-conspirators a year later when subsequently fired for his lack of performance.

The British newspaper report said the Piquets' libel claim involves a press release which accused the father and son of giving false evidence to the FIA and blackmailing Renault F1.

The press release was issued by Renault F1 in September of last year, revealing that the team and Briatore would pursue Piquet criminally in France and Britain.

Renault, who ousted Briatore when it was clear that Piquet's accusations were not false, withdrew the legal threats but did not apologise.

The French carmaker then sold most of its Enstone based team to Genii Capital, a Luxembourg based investment company.

"Given Renault F1's failure to accept the Piquets' invitation to withdraw the allegations and apologise, they feel they have no other choice but to demonstrate the falsity of these allegations in court," said the Piquets' lawyer Dominic Crossley.
Source

South Korea organizers start selling tickets
The Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) has started selling tickets ahead of the inaugural Korean Grand Prix this October. By launching the final trio of races, the event could play a vital role towards the outcome of this year's World Championship.

After Grands Prix in Malaysia, China, Singapore and Japan, South Korea will host the fifth and last Asian race of the 19-race 2010 season at the Korean International Circuit in Yeongam.

Tickets prices will range from 117,000 won (£68) to 920,000 won (£537) minus tax at the track which will hold a capacity 123,000 crowd. Those who make ticket purchases before the end of April can expect a discount in the region of 10 percent.
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom