• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rosberg also did very good lap again. Same as Alonso, Massa is somewhere in the back.
WTF @ Mclaren. Fastest in Q2 and now this? Probably screwed something again.

Weather for tommrow: Possible rain, but not as much as they feared

DieselRainbow

Neo Member
Those pesky Red Bulls are unbeatable in qualifying! I was hoping for more from the McLarens today. Also very impressed with Rosberg showing some real skill.

Should be a good race tomorrow!

jey_16

Banned
Red Bull are great....they lull everyone into thinking they are not that fast in the practice sessions and Q1/Q2 but then just unleash the speed in Q3! McLaren :lol....every weekend its the same

Timbuktu

I like how they all assume Hamilton has done something wrong because he's behind Button. It's hard not to think that it'll be another Red Bull 1-2 tomorrow unless Alonso, Rosberg and McClaren can push them enough in the rain for their cars to fall apart.

S. L.

Hammy baffled by poor Q3 result

"We were doing so well in practice and in Q1 and Q2," Hamilton told television crews. "It was quite easy to be up the front. The car started bottoming a lot more in Q3 but I don't know whether that's had anything to do with the balance of the car, but I just had no more time in the car. The car was sliding a lot more.

"In Q1 and Q2 the car was even better and I really don't understand what was wrong with the car in Q3 but I wasn't able to get any more time out of it.

"That was me on the limit so I don't know where the time is. We have to go and analyse it and try and find it, but I'm sure tomorrow will be a good race."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82954
*shakefist*

got 257 points out of the quali /f1racemanger

Animal

Banned
Can anyone name me the music track playing during the BBC buildup where they play the piece on the Force India reserve driver? It sounds awesome.

moojito

Animal said:
Can anyone name me the music track playing during the BBC buildup where they play the piece on the Force India reserve driver? It sounds awesome.

It sounds like the band/artist Pendulum. Pretty much all their songs sound the same, so if you like that sound there's plenty of it!

edit: if you meant the mellow guitar bit at the start, no idea I'm afraid!

S. L.

Animal said:
it would totally help if you could link to a youtube video or something like that

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
A poster on the scarbF1 blog mentions something about the RBR front wing flexing under braking and acceleration loads and wondering if this is legal?
It could also be the sparking we see from the RBR cars in qualifying.

I’ve got a question for you ScarbsF1.
I’ve noticed some heavy wing movement in todays qualifying from the RedBull cars. If you watch their front wings on the onboard camera you’ll see the front wing lifting under braking and going back down during acceleration. Especially after the long strait in Shanghai the movement is quite big.
On all of the other cars there is almost no movement or very little.
So my question is, is it allowed to have a flexible wing as long as you don’t have flexible parts? And how come the difference between RedBull and the rest is so big?
I have already raised this with the FIA today..!

The Red Bull has always had a front wing that easily droops, even in medium to low speed turns.

May be this dropping of the endplates is what is creating the sparks in Q, not the adjustable ride height?

If anyone can get screen grabs of the RB6 forward facing camera on the straight, one from; the start of the straight, one midway and one under braking, we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Although the rules demand bodywork doesn’t flex, the actual test is a weight applied to the endplate during scrutineering. If it passes this test then its legal. The precedent is that if the FIA spot excessive movement, then the team are asked to revise their parts for the next race. Although Force India were once excluded from the race results as their beam wing was deemed too flexible.
No word back from the FIA…
The flex can be engineered quite precisely from the lay up of the carbon, with the CFD data being fed into the FEA software to give the loads accross the wing.

Youtube video of this in action, very evident at the end of the long straight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpdC2scejE.
Skip to 1.25 in the video.

AcridMeat

Banned
I didn't get to see qualifying, how did Webber end up 2nd again? What happened with the McLarens?

Oh well, good to see Alonso up there with Rosberg. I just hope Hamilton can get it done from 6th.

I've bet him as 1st in the last 3 races.
:lol

LOL at Schumacher. Man should've stayed retired rather than embarrass himself like this. This is not going to change. Rosberg is getting better and better.

jey_16

Banned
a part of me hopes it rains since it makes the race much better but then i remember how much Ferrari suck in the wet :( i think the only wet races we have won since MS left was Brazil 2008 and maybe China 2007 but that was only because Lewis went into the gravel

This race needs to start already. I am bored as fuck. Watching Tomb Raider on HBO at the moment to kill time. God damn Bernie Ecclestone only catering to Europe for the time slots of races. I remember when we only had to stay up till 12 or 1am EST to watch the Asian races.

Pimpwerx

I'm so screwed. Had to go out last night and missed FP3 and caught only the last minute of Q3. I made pics after FP2, but they aren't informed. I was really interested in hedging my best with a Force-India/Renault mix on the chassis/engine side, but balked. Was really hoping for a Petrov-Sutil combo (some weird pricing error for me, but Sutil leaves me with more free cash than Liuzzi eventhough he's priced higher), but it meant sacrificing Total, and I just can't justify it then. Petrov could be the new Liuzzi.

Anyway, looks like it was an interesting qualies. I hope the race goes McLaren's way. I'm quite impressed Button managed to pip Lewis for qualies. Once again, Lewis does something weird and goes slower in Q3 than in Q2. Did he make a mistake on his lap or something? He was much quicker than Button all weekend, but still gets outqualied? On paper, Button is ahead, but in reality, Lewis has almost always been faster. He's gotta get it together, but he's still my boy.

Go Lewis! Just 30 minutes left. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Yeah on the rain. Looks like it'll happen. I liked the Schuey interview.

"How was qualifying?

Michael: "Crap."

Ah, Michael. Your English has definitely improved. :lol PEACE.

Chris R

West Coast GAF :( last race for awhile that starts at a reasonable time. Still, I'll be waking up at 4 AM my time to watch the next race live, but odds are I'll just catch the race and DVR the practice and qualifying :(

I fucking love these on boards of Vettel's pole laps. That bastard is fast.

Edit: Sup Blablurn, seems we have an overlap with football and F1 on GAF. Hopefully more F1 GAF comes out to keep this thread bumped.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Safety car after 4 car crash.

Crap start by Vettel and Webber was pulling away before the crash.

BBC think Alonso had jump start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom