• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

With a good track I could easily see that setup working (similar to Albert Park). It would only have to be used for racing maybe two or three weeks a year. As for making it a night race, wouldn't that make the Euro centric market not happy due to staying up ultra late? I mean maybe a day/night race, but nothing like Singapore.

S. L.

Pimpwerx said:
Huh? I should check the stats and see what teams outpointed me. Renault was a lot cheaper last race though. I was just a hair shy of a Renault/FI split on the chassis/engine package. But this weekend, I can't put even one Renault while keeping the drivers I suggested. Those drivers score enough to offset the difference between Renault and FI. That's my opinion anyway.

Anyone running Renault this week is sacrificing drivers. PEACE.
eh there are no reliable secondary drivers in the currently affordable range there. (assuming you use Sutil as first)
Petrov ony finished one race so far and Liuzzi can be pretty hit or miss. An STR may be an option... dunno.
i'd rather spend that money on a full ren/ren or ren/fi instead of getting a flaky secondary driver.

Leunam

That should apply to Sauber and other teams with Ferrari engines as well right?

Looks like it does, based on the article.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
:lol :lol

Jersey City cans F1 grand prix plan
Jersey City has given up on its plans to host a Formula 1 race in the future, with its mayor canning the project just one day after it was made public.

"After a review of the draft proposal prepared by the City's Tourism Office, I have come to the same conclusion...that this type of event is not suited for Liberty State Park," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy was quoted as saying in a statement by local media.

"While we work to attract national and international events to our city, we must ensure that they are appropriate and will have the least impact upon the quality of life of our residents and our community."

The city had prepared a draft for a five-year deal to host a Formula 1 race, with a 3.6-mile race track across the streets of Jersey City.

The news was welcome by a group opposing the event.

"Mayor Healy did reach out to me yesterday and we had a very constructive conversation," Sam Pesin, president of Friends of Liberty State Park, said.

"Instead of a negative wasteful controversy, we can all focus on working together on positive efforts to benefit Jersey City and Liberty State Park."

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Start Finish in Times Square, track through Central park.

Make it happen Bloomberg.

or Governor's Island. No one lives there, no one should bitch.

Pimpwerx

S. L. said:
eh there are no reliable secondary drivers in the currently affordable range there. (assuming you use Sutil as first)
Petrov ony finished one race so far and Liuzzi can be pretty hit or miss. An STR may be an option... dunno.
i'd rather spend that money on a full ren/ren or ren/fi instead of getting a flaky secondary driver.
Fair, but even a shit driver can stumble into 50+ points. Renault isn't likely to outpoint FI by that much on any consistent basis. I've weighed that and figured that both Liuzzi and Petrov offer more points potential than sacrificing $20M+ to get Renault chassis and engine. That $20M is the difference between a Renault/FI driver and a Team Hispania driver. I'm just saying.... PEACE.

Seanspeed

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
They're a farce, and only serve to hold Mercedes back.
Mercedes has benefitted from these 'reliability upgrades' just as much as anyone else.

And just so you know, Ferrari have not had the biggest budget for a while now. Mclaren has actually been the biggest spenders the past few years.

Something tells me your issue is more a personal distaste for Ferrari than anything.

Pimpwerx

Seanspeed said:
Mercedes has benefitted from these 'reliability upgrades' just as much as anyone else.

And just so you know, Ferrari have not had the biggest budget for a while now. Mclaren has actually been the biggest spenders the past few years.

Something tells me your issue is more a personal distaste for Ferrari than anything.
Used to be, but Ferrari has always had by far the largest budget. AFAIK, the only team that came close for a while was Toyota, who just overspent like crazy. If McLaren has actually surpassed Ferrari's budget, I'm completely shocked. That should have been bigger news.

As for the reliability upgrades, when did Mercedes get to make upgrades to their engine? Over the last two year (how long the engined have been homologated, right?), I've only read about Renault making changes, and two or three times, no less. How on earth has Mercedes benefited "just as much as anyone else"?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember subzero ever posting a news article on these developments, and I've been reading the threads since Winter testing started. PEACE.

Seanspeed

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Used to be, but Ferrari has always had by far the largest budget. AFAIK, the only team that came close for a while was Toyota, who just overspent like crazy. If McLaren has actually surpassed Ferrari's budget, I'm completely shocked. That should have been bigger news.
Old news, actually.

Pimpwerx said:
As for the reliability upgrades, when did Mercedes get to make upgrades to their engine? Over the last two year (how long the engined have been homologated, right?), I've only read about Renault making changes, and two or three times, no less. How on earth has Mercedes benefited "just as much as anyone else"?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember subzero ever posting a news article on these developments, and I've been reading the threads since Winter testing started. PEACE.
In 2008, Mercedes made a large leap in performance, and its believed to be where they 'took over' as the most powerful engine(somewhere around Mclaren's Silverstone update). Just one example. I'm pretty sure almost every engine manufacturer would have made improvements going into 2010, as well, and there's no doubt plenty of other examples that we just didn't hear about it. F1 is secretive stuff, and you dont want to go around advertising every improvement you make.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like we are getting the first peak of the new updates to all the cars as they are in the garages in Spain getting prepped for tomorrows practice.

Mercedes GP has adopted an aggressive engine cover design as part of the upgrade that it hopes will help lift it closer to the front from this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

As well as increasing the wheelbase of the W01 to try and improve the weight distribution on the car, the Brackley-based team has introduced a host of aerodynamic improvements to its car.

One of those updates includes a dramatic relocation of the engine airbox inlets - moving them away from right behind the drivers' head and situating them further back down the engine cover.

This design means the top of the roll hoop is now very thin - which should bring an aerodynamic advantage in terms of reducing drag.

The W01 is also expected to feature the latest version of the F-Duct that the team tried out for the first time in the Chinese Grand Prix, with the lengthened wheelbase having been achieved through a re-angling of the front wishbones.

AUTOSPORT understands that Michael Schumacher shook down the updated car during a filming day at Rockingham last week, with the German hoping to get more comfortable with the characteristics of the W01 after a difficult start to the season.

1273152391.jpg

Autosport

Interesting to see a team trying something new in that area. The engine covers have been conceptual more or less the same for all teams since the early 90's.

BAW

Banned
That's true, the restrictive aero rules forces teams to re-evaluate every last inch of the car.

On another note, the W01 already looks badass so I really hope this upgrade brings it in a position to also fight for victories together with the big three.

thechemist

jey_16 said:
Ferrari have removed the barcode apparently from their livery apparently? Big move

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83346
Yep they have.

Ferrari removes barcode design from car

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, May 6th 2010, 15:54 GMT

Ferrari's new liveryFerrari has removed the controversial 'barcode' design from the side of its car from this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix following controversy about it being subliminal advertising for title sponsor Marlboro.

A report in The Times newspaper last week revealed that leading doctors were putting pressure on governments to investigate whether the red, white and black bar code that had featured on the Ferrari cars for several years was a clever way of promoting its title sponsor's cigarette brand.

Ferrari reacted angrily to the claims - suggesting that the barcode design was not copyrighted by Marlboro owner Phillip Morris and that it had chosen the concept alone. The bar code also featured on the Ducati MotoGP bikes too, though.

Earlier this week, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo labelled any claim that the design was promoting Marlboro as 'nonsense.'

"Frankly, I find this argument completely pointless and it is verging on the ridiculous to claim that the colour red or a graphic design which shows a bar code could induce people to smoke," di Montezemolo said on Ferrari's website.

"At a time when, on the other side of the Atlantic they are fighting to provide a more equal health service, in the old continent of Europe, so called experts are racking their brains to come up with theories that have no scientific basis: I think there are more important matters to think about than a bar code.

"Therefore, it's best not to waste any more time replying to this sort of nonsense or to those who are instrumental in wanting to stoke up the story."

Despite that stance, Ferrari opted on Thursday to remove the barcode design from its cars immediately.

A statement issued by the team said: "Together with Philip Morris International we have decided to modify the livery of our cars starting with the Barcelona Grand Prix.

"This decision was taken in order to remove all speculation concerning the so-called 'barcode' which was never intended to be a reference to a tobacco brand.

"By this we want to put an end to this ridiculous story and concentrate on more important things than on such groundless allegations.

Leunam said:
From what I've read, it's the smartest design for an F-duct that I've seen by far. Works completely independent of the driver (unlike McLaren).

I think that's a limitation though, not a benefit through smart design. By being automatic I believe (having read things along these lines) it would be triggered by aerodynamic conditions above a certain speed, so that threshold would need to be safely out of limits of what is experienced while cornering on any particular track, whereas McLaren's system can be activated as soon as it's needed.

Leunam

rogue_pigeon said:
I think that's a limitation though, not a benefit through smart design. By being automatic I believe (having read things along these lines) it would be triggered by aerodynamic conditions above a certain speed, so that threshold would need to be safely out of limits of what is experienced while cornering on any particular track, whereas McLaren's system can be activated as soon as it's needed.

That's a good point, but I'm under the assumption that that threshold would be similar for both cars. In that case, it wouldn't necessarily matter if the McLaren car activated their F-duct first, since the benefit may be negligible until it reaches that certain speed.

All assumption on my part, of course.

Pimpwerx

God I love the start of the Euro leg. :D I hope they always start with flyaways, because the start of the European races always brings a bevy of new parts and new excitement. That Mac front wing looks interesting. I wonder if it clears more air from the front wheels. PEACE.

ashk

Pimpwerx said:
It is. It's probably their version of the f-duct. PEACE.

I thought it might be the case as well, but looking at the pictures it seems they still don't have a shark fin engine cover. So it may not necessarily be an f-duct.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
FUCK!!! 12 is the correct answer.

Oh well can't make the upgrades then. BAH :(

S. L.

fuuuu the 1930 and 1933 races weren't part of the F1 WC!
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

all dead, all dead, all the dreams i had
and I wonder why I still live on.... :(((

megateto

Leunam said:
From what I've read, it's the smartest design for an F-duct that I've seen by far. Works completely independent of the driver (unlike McLaren.

From James Allen's blog:

Ferrari has confirmed that the switch to turn it on will be driver operated, like the McLaren, whose drivers use their knees to close a vent – and that both drivers have already tested it out on the simulator.

I read in the Spanish press that in order to activate it the drivers have to move their arm, which doesn't' seem to be completely comfortable.

Leunam

megateto said:
From James Allen's blog:

I read in the Spanish press that in order to activate it the drivers have to move their arm, which doesn't' seem to be completely comfortable.

Hmm, so changes were made to the original design where it would work automatically due to airflow differences on corners versus straights.

S. L.

DarkJC said:
There was a post earlier in this thread reasoning that it was 12

edit: And he was even replying to you :p
i'm such a fool :(
this stupid mistake might cost me the world gaf armchair drivers championship at the end of the season

h3ro

megateto said:

9qia9l.jpg

Looks like they would have to either slouch or slide to the side.

I'm so hyped for FP1 tomorrow! :D

Seanspeed

Banned
Thats obviously not a hole a driver has to cover up(that would be ridiculous). Its either a hole for a tube of some kind or something completely different altogether.

Ferrari's system is indeed driver-operated, as reported, but how exactly its operated is still a bit of a mystery................for today at least. :D

Tomorrow is gonna be int-eresting, to say the least. The big question is: who will actually get it working right? Its quite possible neither Mercedes nor Ferrari will be happy with their current f-duct solution, in which case, we wont see anything further til Turkey(Monaco is not a good test bed).

anx10us

Banned
Help me a UK based GAFfer, i'm in SF Friday and Vegas over the weekend, how can I watch the practise, quali and race ?

Streaming ?
Cable ?
ESPN ?
Reverse Proxy iPlayer ?

h3ro

anx10us said:
Help me a UK based GAFfer, i'm in SF Friday and Vegas over the weekend, how can I watch the practise, quali and race ?

Streaming ?
Cable ?
ESPN ?
Reverse Proxy iPlayer ?

Speed Network covers FP2, Quali and the Race live. Should be available on cable in the hotel. If not, there might be a stream available with the link being put up in this thread.

DarkJC

rogue_pigeon said:
Re: Race Manager

I've got around 12 mil currently available, but it's only letting me spend around 10! Better get fixed tomorrow.

It's letting me spend all my bonus money. How is it only letting you spend 10? Does it say you have positive money still but wont let you save changes?

Dead Man

So... I've stuck with Ren/Ren for Chassis/Engine and have enough for Shell or Mobil fuel. If I take Mobil I don't have enough extra for a driver that I know will do better than my current selection, so do I take Shell? Or will McLaren do better than Ferrari? Gah, I hate this stuff! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom