• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

When I saw it happen I was reminded of something Murray Walker has always said about Michael "give him half an inch and he's like a ferret up a drain pipe" :lol

The old man may have lost a significant amount of his speed but that brain is still on top of things.

Of course Fernando was going to say he was expecting no overtaking, he is not going to publicly admit he got done like a rookie on the last corner.

Damon is going to love this.

syllogism

idahoblue said:
What the fuck sort of stupid rule is that? Why not leave the SC out? Fucking FIA.

Exactly. I don't understand why you would bring the SC in if the race was not resuming. It will just lead to confusion, as it has today.
One explanation would to avoid the SC being in the newspaper photos of the winner crossing the finish line

Dead Man

syllogism said:
One explanation would to avoid the SC being in the newspaper photos of the winner crossing the finish line
Yeah, but that is a terrible reason. If the car finished under SC, then it finished under SC. If they don't want that, then restart the damn race on the penultimate lap.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
WTF Mclaren? What a bunch of idiots
Apparently the team forgot to take out one of the intake blanking plates before Jenson did his pit out lap to the grid.
IF this is true, someone is getting his ass fired today

avaya

DrM said:

They also left the TV remote in his car during QLF, Jenson threw it out at Rascasse.

h3ro

DrM said:

:lol

On one side, you have Jensen driving around with his intake covered up and on the other, Lewis is yelling at the team for telling him his brakes are about to explode. Go England!

Dead Man

Read on another forum that the rule refers to red flagged races under a SC and not just the last lap, so maybe that makes more sense. I don't know. Stupidly worded regardless.

And LOL at McLaren. Not a great showing by the whole team today. Button would be understandably upset.

Edit:
some guy on another site said:
I see 2 scenarios:

1) They decided to pull the SC in on the last lap with no idea about rule 40.15 expecting people allowed to race through the last corner.

2) The only reason the SC pitted was because of rule 40.15 and overtaking is not allowed.

So how will the stewards determine this one?

Deadman

For me hes fine, race didnt finish under a safety car so the rule 40.13 (or whichever it was) doesnt apply.

Also 901 points this weekend.

h3ro

DrM said:
James Allen is reporting that The Old one got 20 seconds penalty, so no points for him

damon-hill-and-michael-schumacher-adelaide-1994-by-jo-salmon.jpg

DrM said:
James Allen is reporting that The Old one got 20 seconds penalty, so no points for him

Ferrari International Assistance posts in 3,2,1

Hah, awesome, I've just realised that this promotes a Torro Rosso into the points, which I believe was one of the bets this week wasn't it? I think I've pretty much cleaned up bets-wise (with the exception of 2nd and 3rd place, as I put Webber for all three podium places).

avaya said:
Of course Fernando was going to say he was expecting no overtaking, he is not going to publicly admit he got done like a rookie on the last corner.

He was reminded by radio that overtaking in the last lap was prohibited, he thought doing the same to Hamilol, but he couldn't.

Of course Schumi lost speed, but he didn't lost that touch of exceding the line of the legality, but his not the darest child of the F1 anymore, poor champ, he dosn't know anymore his place, I think he should try having some fun, instead of trying to be an smartass and making risky moves like this that could fuck the chances of those who really can really win.

Igo

DrM said:

That's ridiculous. This should have either been a stewarding mistake with the green lights or a legitimate pass.

Happy for the bet money though due to Buemi getting in the points.

Igo said:
That's ridiculous. This should have either been a stewarding mistake with the green lights or a legitimate pass.

Happy for the bet money though due to Buemi getting in the points.

I think it's just a case of the stewards being stuck between a rock and a hard place thanks to previous FIA precedents. Clearly it seems that race control made mistakes in the procedure, which lead to some confusion amongst the teams as to the status of the race. The sensible decision would have been to demote Schumacher back behind Alonso, but that option wasn't available thanks to the precedent set with Hamilton and Massa at Spa some years back, it had to be a time penalty - and in the case of finishing under a safety car, he got doubly fucked as a result.

Dead Man

DrM said:

Terrible decision. If the rule was broken, fair enough, but since the lights were green, just drop him the place. Stupid rule of stupidity.

Dead Man

Stupid rule has made me angry. I'm off to bed. See everyone next round - Turkey. Hopefully a good race, certainly the best of the bad Tilke bunch.

Dibbz

I don't get it. The lights were green, we had green flags and they told everyone that the SC was going to pit so why is Schumi penalised?

tirant

Dibbz said:
I don't get it. The lights were green, we had green flags and they told everyone that the SC was going to pit so why is Schumi penalised?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/234954/schumacher-penalised-for-overtaking-alonso/

However, as stated in article 40.13 of the sporting code, drivers must not overtake if the Safety Car has controlled the race on the final lap, despite the silver Mercedes sports car always returning to the pits to allow the winner to take the chequered flag.

Dibbz

Still doesn't make sense as to why they showed green flags, why the lights changed from yellow and why they told everyone the SC was going to pit in the last lap.

S. L.

yeah, seems pretty harsh considering the really ambiguous situation

well at least this debacle boosts me over the 1000 points mark :)

Lince

Banned
the FIA is a joke, period

stewards are to blame in the first place by waving greens like there was no tomorrow, I mean fricking geen flags in your face are a very clear indication that you can overtake!! Schumy saw that and took advantage, Alonso was confident enough after the radio instructions to do "nothing" as overtaking wasn't allowed but he could have kept his eyes open ffs, he's a 2xWDC come on. I'm disappointed.

Scipius

As of the next race, all drivers will be required to bring a copy of the rulebook with them during the race. At any change in the colour of the marshall's flags, the driver will need to correlate if the stated purpose of the colour is applicable in this particular instant before acting, possibly after consulting with the team, race control and the FIA. The recommended method is to stop by the side of the road, read the rulebook and then proceed.

Or, we could just say red means stop, yellow means caution and green means go.

avaya

Not really surprised. The fact they impose a 20-second penalty off the bat is ridiculous since it is disproportionate with respect to the incident itself. Rules are idiotic. What's new?

Relaxed Muscle said:
He was reminded by radio that overtaking in the last lap was prohibited, he thought doing the same to Hamilol, but he couldn't.

Of course Schumi lost speed, but he didn't lost that touch of exceding the line of the legality, but his not the darest child of the F1 anymore, poor champ, he dosn't know anymore his place, I think he should try having some fun, instead of trying to be an smartass and making risky moves like this that could fuck the chances of those who really can really win.

Oh I agree, Fernando should also try having some fun and stop getting into situations where he could fuck the chances of Webbo and Vettel, you know, those who really can really win.

Lince said:
the FIA is a joke, period

stewards are to blame in the first place by waving greens like there was no tomorrow, I mean fricking geen flags in your face are a very clear indication that you can overtake!! Schumy saw that and took advantage, Alonso was confident enough after the radio instructions to do "nothing" as overtaking wasn't allowed but he could have kept his eyes open ffs, he's a 2xWDC come on. I'm disappointed.

He let Schumi overtake him, because that way he was gonna lost some points, I think that was better. :lol

avaya said:
Oh I agree, Fernando should also try having some fun and stop getting into situations where he could fuck the chances of Webbo and Vettel, you know, those who really can really win.

Alonso already won one race this year, let's see how many Schumi wins. :lol

but...

avaya said:
Not really surprised. The fact they impose a 20-second penalty off the bat is ridiculous since it is disproportionate with respect to the incident itself. Rules are idiotic. What's new?

cry moar. :lol :lol

If this happened to same 2nd rate driver, there wouldn't be this uproar.

kharma45

Even though I am a Ferrari fan, calling them Ferrari International Assistance today could be justified.

I feel Schumacher was still in the right for what he did, and at worst if a penalty were to be imposed upon him, all they should've done was swapped his and Alonso's places around, would've been fair.

However, a 20-second penalty that puts him outside the top 10 is ridiculous, the marshals and the FIA should re-considered, and I hope Mercedes GP appeal against it.

DieselRainbow

Neo Member
Dibbz said:
Nice pics. Did you actually take them or did you just upload them to your Photobucket?

I wish I took them!!!
I just upload them on here for you guys. I'm trying to be a motor sport photographer so always spend hours looking for photos.
Hope you guys enjoy them :D

Deadman

According to the twitter accounts of various bbc commentators/interviewers mercedes are appealing and even have the backing of some other teams. One mentions the Australian Grand Prix from last year where they finished under the safety car and there were yellow flags displayed until the end, even after the safety car had pulled off to let them take the flag.

TylerD

My wallpapers at work are always WRC or F1. Mine right now is the blurry one of Vettel from last week that DR posted.

The pics are always appreciated!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
S. L. said:
Zzzzz. Racemanager once again takes forever to update

Its turning into a joke now. It took an age to get updated last week with bets and bonus question and it still hasn't been updated with weekend points.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
No mention or rumour of any change in tyre size, there have been suggestions that they will stick with 13" for next year and then 18" for 2012 season.

Formula 1's tyre choice for next year is now a straight two-way fight between Pirelli and Michelin, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has confirmed.

With teams hoping to make a final decision on 2011 rubber in the next few days, having been unable to commit themselves during a meeting at the Monaco Grand Prix, Domenicali has said that Avon Cooper and Bridgestone have now been discounted.

"No decision has been taken yet," said Domenicali. "I think another week and maybe by next weekend hopefully we will be able to find a solution. There are still only two possibilities - Michelin and Pirelli. I don't see any other option."

Although Pirelli had emerged as a clear favourite over the Monaco GP weekend, Michelin's offer – in both technical and commercial terms – is still attractive enough for teams to be unsure about which direction they want to go in.

Further analysis of the terms over the next few days – with clarification from both manufacturers on certain issues – should help teams make their final call and may yet make Michelin the preferred choice.

Renault team principal Eric Boullier said time was now of the essence to get the matter sorted.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if the matter should be settled by the Turkish Grand Prix, he said: "It has to be, because I think there is a technical issue that if we wait too late then nothing will be ready for next year. It has to be done by Turkey."

Autosport

DrM

Redmond's Baby
shagg_187 said:
Alonso was the best driver of Monaco, hands down. Motherfucker mastered the tunnel stretch. That said, I LOLED when Schumi overtook him! :lol Kinda glad he was penalized...
It is not so hard to overtake cars, which are over 4 seconds per lap slower even in Monaco (to be fair, he overtook only one HRT, both Virgins and Lotuses on track, others fell behind due to pit stops). I doubt that he could so easily overtake Force Indias or Toro Rossos.

Lince

Banned
then again Alonso was the only one overtaking cars there and his strategy paid off by running 77 laps on the same tires, Schumy overtook some suspiciously unaware car at the end too... but we all know how that played out. Alonso on TV "if Schumacher wanted to get a penalty then good for him" really got me, makes me wonder if he let the door open for Schumy knowing he would be penalized :lol

anyway Webber was ominous and hands down the best man out there, with Kubica and Alonso providing some action and special mention to master Brawn with the prints and lawyer stuff post race, quite entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom