• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Long article which you should read but here are some choice sections, definately gives the impression that RBR is Vettel's team.
Last year after the race at the Nurburgring, I went into the Red Bull motorhome to congratulate Mark Webber on his first Formula 1 victory.

There was no sign of Webber, but team principal Christian Horner and Dr Helmut Marko were deep in conversation next to the bar. Both looked pretty serious. Webber had won the race while Vettel had finished second, largely due to being rather tentative in qualifying, where he ended up fourth. I watched him very closely that weekend and spoke to him several times and I felt that he was really feeling the pressure of a home Grand Prix where you are expected to win.

Mark Webber’s partner Ann Neil came out of the drivers’ area and walked across the room. One of the team said something like, “Isn’t it fantastic, Mark’s win?” To which she replied rather tartly, “I’m glad someone around here is pleased.” And indeed it did seem more like a wake than a celebration.
The team tries to be fair in the way it treats both drivers. They both had new parts fitted to the cars on Saturday, Vettel’s arriving before Webber’s but nevertheless the cars were the same during qualifying.

But there was a suspicion tonight that in the laps leading up to their collision on lap 40, Vettel may have been given more favourable conditions than Webber and may have had more engine revs at his disposal. And it may have been because he was under threat from Hamilton.

“In the situation Sebastian was in, he had no other choice than to act the way he did, ” said Marko on F1.com. “We informed Mark about the situation and it is for the driver to decide. The fact is that if Sebastian hadn’t passed he would have been overtaken by Hamilton. Unfortunately, Mark was not told about the situation accurately by his race engineer.”
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/so-is-vettel-the-favoured-son-at-red-bull/

It does seem like RBR is Vettel's team and I'm not surprised he is their long term future and with Mercdedes wanting his to be Schumacher's replacement it isn't surprising that RBR are favouring Vettel. It's not fair on Webber but when an F1 team is challenging near the front it has generally been with one driver being favoured.

Wes

venison crêpe
Great race. Particularly liked the two McLarens on lap 48/49 teaching the Red Bulls how to overtake a teammates.

Bobo

SCHUEY F1 said:
vettel.jpg
vettel1.jpg

dalin80

Banned
That was definitely great driving by both drivers, you can tell by how they didn't crash into each other while going in a straight-line.

Reading those transcripts, it's defnintely Vettel's team.

What he did was atrocious, he had absolutely NO reason to cut right the way he did, you can clearly see Webber is keeping his line, which was basically giving the go ahead for Vettel if he could take it anyway.

His decision to just randomy cut right so sharply is just baffling and reeks of impetuous arrogance.

Bobo

The sub league has been updated but the servers are slower than my 2 drivers combined!

My team: F1 steadfast. Climbed 7 places to P9 and joint 156th overall. Thanks Vettel :)

Shaneus

Patriotism and obvious bias aside, what's shitting me the most about Webber getting shafted is that he seems like one of the few genuinely "nice" guys out there on the field who is actually performing well. Most others show hefty signs of arrogance, even only at times, but I've never seen him act cocky or self-righteous.

Is it just me, or is he really Formula 1's "nice guy"?

Salacious Crumb

Shaneus said:
Patriotism and obvious bias aside, what's shitting me the most about Webber getting shafted is that he seems like one of the few genuinely "nice" guys out there on the field who is actually performing well. Most others show hefty signs of arrogance, even only at times, but I've never seen him act cocky or self-righteous.

That would be Jenson Button.

Shaneus said:

Well he definitely has the Aussie 'whinger' in him, that's for sure. We all whinge when things don't go our way, Webber is no different.

Shaneus

Salacious Crumb said:
That would be Jenson Button.
Up until the filter incident, I wouldn't have thought so... to me he's always seemed pretty arrogant. But when he didn't blow his cool at the guy who left the cooling cover on his car, my opinion changed.

Keep in mind, I'm putting the question out there... I don't pay attention to many other drivers so I really wouldn't know who the nice guy is, just wondering what a more well-rounded person would think!

avaya

The Red Bull scenario is also the reason Lewis looked gutted after he'd won.

He was thinking the team told him to fuel save and didn't do the same for Jenson, so they were trying to get him to win.

You could see it in his face. and Jenson was continually jumping all over him in parc ferme/podium to say no it wasn't like that :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
avaya said:
The Red Bull scenario is also the reason Lewis looked gutted after he'd won.

He was thinking the team told him to fuel save and didn't do the same for Jenson, so they were trying to get him to win.

You could see it in his face. and Jenson was continually jumping all over him in parc ferme/podium to say no it wasn't like that :lol

Or he was sad that his dad wasn't there for the victory

operon

Wow a lot in that race, vettel just showing himself to be a dumb shit, how he can't see it was his fault I'l never know, and rbr went doen badly in my estimation if they seriously asked webber to move aside, esp with all that bullshit about equal treatment.

I have to saw hamilton is moving up in my estimation as a driver and a person this season.

Good to see schumi get 4th def, the best the car can achieve atm.

Seanspeed

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Well he definitely has the Aussie 'whinger' in him, that's for sure. We all whinge when things don't go our way, Webber is no different.
Yea, but Webber often has legitimate reasons for his 'whinging'.

Webber has his moments, but he's definitely one of the few with personality on the grid. Him and Button are a dying breed. Vettel, despite his recent shenanigans, actually seems to be pretty refreshing in this respect, too.

Pimpwerx

Bobo said:
The sub league has been updated but the servers are slower than my 2 drivers combined!

My team: F1 steadfast. Climbed 7 places to P9 and joint 156th overall. Thanks Vettel :)
Whoa! Good job with your picks. I stayed in 2nd (RedShift Racing), but I gained a bunch of points on JTF1. I'm not worried about the overall anymore. I want to finish in the Top 50 there, but that's not guaranteed. I want to finish in the Top5 in our league to make sure I get a cap. AtlasF1 is doing pretty well. We need to get our league game on. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Martin Brundle made one very interesting comment during the race that has been forgotten now because of the Webber, Vettel incident.

He was talking about the poor showing of Ferrari and Alonso's view on it.

Alonso has noticed since going to Ferrari that they are very slow to bring updates to the car compared to McLaren who he described as relentless during his spell at the team.

This was shown again last year when they turned a dog of a car into a race winner and now are virtually matching RBR on race day. If theie development pace keeps up they will be serious contenders come the business end of the season.

Dead Man

Bloody hell, lucky race for Blue Racing! Second most points in the subleague from this race. Still only 27th, but the climb continues!

dalin80

Banned
next race is canada where the mclaren should be very quick and lewis has always raced well at (until the whole 'oops i didnt see the red light thing', he utterly dominated one race there and was mighty quick in the second until the crash.

after that are a whole bout of races that are far more downforce orientated then speed, so presuming they do well at canada as-is mclaren only have a month to out develop red bull before the main euro leg.

mclarens developement rate is epic but it will be hard work not letting red bull streak ahead during the europe events.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
navanman said:
Alonso has noticed since going to Ferrari that they are very slow to bring updates to the car compared to McLaren who he described as relentless during his spell at the team.

This was shown again last year when they turned a dog of a car into a race winner and now are virtually matching RBR on race day. If theie development pace keeps up they will be serious contenders come the business end of the season.
Mclaren is shipping new parts on every race, their development schedule is very tight and well planned. And most importantly, upgrades work. Also, Lewis said on Friday that they know why RBR is faster and they will bring similar solution soon.

Ferrari is playing different strategy - they are bringing some new parts on races, but they are introducing new upgrades in bigger packages. Atleast so they plan, but i think that they screwed something with upgrade plan with 'forced' F-duct implementation. And now, according to some rumors, they are planning to introduce RBR style exhaust. This is major overhaul and very risky.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
rogue_pigeon said:
If Webber is going to leave RBR over concerns of equal treatment, he's hardly likely to do so in favour of Ferrari.
From Team Vettel to Team Alonso :lol

avaya

navanman said:
Martin Brundle made one very interesting comment during the race that has been forgotten now because of the Webber, Vettel incident.

He was talking about the poor showing of Ferrari and Alonso's view on it.

Ferrari don't even have a full-time lead aerodynamicist at the moment. Luca's turned the team into a shambles in recent years.

:lol at Webber being wiped out. Loved it. It's just a shame Button couldn't hold his place in front of Hamilton and take the victory.

I thought it was quite a fun race thanks to the top 4. They were the only things worth watching, unfortunately.

dalin80

Banned
also worth a note i think is petrov, who had a good race until getting caught and punctured by a slightly less then elegant display from alonso. the guy seems to be getting to pace pretty steadily.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
dalin80 said:
also worth a note i think is petrov, who had a good race until getting caught and punctured by a slightly less then elegant display from alonso. the guy seems to be getting to pace pretty steadily.
Renault is also developing fast this year and they caught Mercedes and Ferrari. Also, Petrov did very well this season and it is a shame what happened yesterday. Kubica is also flying this year.

Oh and Autosport published Q&A with Domenicali. This part is interesting:
Q. From the outside it would appear that the car is not getting a lot of new development parts. In Spain there wasn't a big change apart from the F-duct. Is there a big upgrade package coming? What is the reason for this?

SD: It is for sure true that we have invested a lot in the new system with the wing, but it is not enough and it is not perfect yet.
Ok, so they switched resources for sure from other upgrades overnight to develop F-Duct fast, but they are struggling with it now, for sure. (They should rename to Scuderia For Sure)

Also post from AS forum, from Mclaren employee
Great result, the new rear wing performed exactly as expected. Both drivers were very happy with the balance and pace of the car moreover the ability to run with the Red Bull, and even being held up by them.

Plenty more, to come, in the pipeline.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And from his twitter:
Not sure there's a lot of sympathy in the paddock for RBR's plight. Team hasn't won any friends this year with gamesmanship and arrogance

To those who've replied to my last tweet I can assure you no one has been anywhere near as paranoid as these guys have this year

I think that several photographers took some nice rear pictures of RB6 yesterday after Vettel crash.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why they bother. You would think the teams could get all the images they need from stills from the TV feed.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Explanation of that wierd conversation before podium celebration (Planet1):
But that wasn't the only miscommunication, the second almost resulting in a blow-up between the two McLaren drivers.

Speaking to Mark Webber immediately after the grand prix, Hamilton shared his thoughts on Sebastian Vettel's misplaced move on his team-mate and said: "It was dangerous.

"He was so quick and so aggressive. He tried to turn into me. Fortunately, I had the space to react."

Button thought Hamilton was talking about him.

Hamilton revealed: "Mark said something about the move and I said, 'He did the same thing to me'. And Jenson thought it was about him.

"But I said, 'No, no, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the situation when I was trying to overtake Vettel."
:lol

Dead Man

Does anyone think that if the Webber/Vettel incident had been between 2 drivers form different teams the stewards woudl have looked at it? They seem to investigate most incidents, even if they determine it was a racing incident.

olore

idahoblue said:
Does anyone think that if the Webber/Vettel incident had been between 2 drivers form different teams the stewards woudl have looked at it? They seem to investigate most incidents, even if they determine it was a racing incident.

Hm, you have a point

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So #1 and #3 at the time of the incident see it for what it really was - Vettel being a dick for some reason.

Dibbz

Man that was an amazing race.

Webber should have given more space and Vettel should at least check his mirrors when he is that close to another car. So glad for Hamilton though, finally got a win in 2010.

Nice pics once again Diesel.

Nicktendo86

Man am I glad I decided to watch the grand prix rather than the England game, and I missed the first half of the race and joined in on the business end.

It was 100% Vettel's fault, you could see him move to the right into Webber's car. Webber (who I am no fan of by the way) had every right to defend his position.

It was very appropriate they we had the contrast later of the two McLarens fighting, really good overtaking. It just looked like classy motorsport which I think showed the Red Bulls to be amateurish.

Strange to see Lewis so subdued on the podium, I think it must be because it was the first win since the alleged bust up with his dad, he alluded to it in the press conference by dedicating the victory to his dad as it was his 50th on Sunday and looked very upset.

S. L.

maaaa, missed the whole race weekend. Will watch the race tomorrow.
That Redbull drama screwed up my earnings in the league, but eh, nobody did that well and I didn't loose any places.

Also Sauber finished a race and also got into the points! :D

Chris R

I did horrible this week with the fantasy stuff :( Petrov getting the shaft from Alonso didn't help, and just before qualifying I "upgrade" from Kobayashi to Buemi :(

AcridMeat

Banned
Just finished watching the race, about to go into the interviews. Very entertaining I think, seeing McLaren teaching Red Bull how to pass was great.

As for F1racemanager this was the worst possible result that could have happened. :lol

I took Torro Rosso over Sauber after debating for a few hours. I took Buemi over Kobayashi after debating for a few hours. I took RBR over McLaren after debating for a few hours, and Kovalainen was one of the first to retire.

On top of all of this, I got a big fat goose egg on bets. Fucking miserable. But after having gained at least 2 places every race I guess it was time to have a falling out.

Fucking Lewis getting his first win on the first weekend I don't pick him to win, oh well.

Looking forward to Canada in two weeks. This season looks much more promising in terms of the championship.

edit: Oh wow, Mark Webber and Jenson Button's facial expressions when Lewis was describing the race. :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I really don't get the "Mac taught RBR how to pass" stuff.

Mac's attempted pass was still borked because they had seemingly told Hammy to conserve fuel while not giving the same order to Button. Seems very similar to the rumored team orders given out at RBR.

Mac got away with it, but there was some really dicey passing attempts going on and their wheel touched.

If anything, the difference seemed to be that the two guys were both less willing to wreck their cars just to get up on the other guy and seemed slightly more reserved.

The Mac near pass (or was it a pass->repass situation?) was also incredibly stupid.. they just got away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom