• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

navanman said:
They said the EXACT same thing last year when Brawn were whipping everyone's ass at the start of last season.

Now that McLaren are starting to put the pressure on, they are saying it all over again.
Yeah, but when the Merc powered cars are the fastest through the speed trap every weekend, it must get a bit frustrating.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, they whine about this every year.... they could struggle in Montreal, Mercedes engine should be quite a factor next weekend.

They should worry more about their brakes. Montreal is killer for brakes. :D

Ferrari will probably place a protest in Canada - reason is Mercedes airbox.

dalin80

Banned
It would be great if red bull did get the power of the mercedes lump, but in return the lousy fuel consumption.

yay we have more power!

oh, we have to carry 3 laps more fuel :-(

The reason the mclaren is so quick is because of the engineering innovation in the f-duct, at turkey one of the slowest cars along the straights was the mercedes.

Deadman

dalin80 said:
The reason the mclaren is so quick is because of the engineering innovation in the f-duct, at turkey one of the slowest cars along the straights was the mercedes.

Yep.

Also didnt RBR already try to get a mercedes deal over the winter, but it was denied? I can only assume it would be the same this year, so at best all they could switch to would be a ferrari engine, which is still down on power vs mercedes and up on fuel consumption vs the renault.

Pimpwerx

Dead Man said:
Yeah, but when the Merc powered cars are the fastest through the speed trap every weekend, it must get a bit frustrating.
Isn't the Renault more fuel-efficient giving those teams a weight and thus handling advantage? For the complaints of the Merc engine, it's Renault power that's making up the sharp end of the grid with RBR and Renault. Come on...Kubica and Petrov aren't anywhere near as good as they're showing. PEACE.

EDIT: Homologation needs to end. Let teams develop all aspects of the car again. If they let Renault bump the power again, I'm gonna lose it. Cheap bastards.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Deadman said:
Yep.

Also didnt RBR already try to get a mercedes deal over the winter, but it was denied? I can only assume it would be the same this year, so at best all they could switch to would be a ferrari engine, which is still down on power vs mercedes and up on fuel consumption vs the renault.
ugh , Newey car design + Ferrari engine = ticking time bomb on four wheels

Pimpwerx

DrM said:
Reason for Lewis podium sadface is revealed. Register on Formula1.com, and go to race edits.
Whoa! Did Jenson go against team orders? At least this should shut up some people who thought Lewis lost it when it's clear the team told him to slow down. He had pace in reserve, and took that spot back like a champ. The save fuel call to Jenson didn't come on until after Lewis had retaken the position though. I'm assuming the team didn't tell Jenson the same thing they told Lewis, because I can't imagine Jenson's a dick like that. PEACE.

Dead Man

Pimpwerx said:
Isn't the Renault more fuel-efficient giving those teams a weight and thus handling advantage? For the complaints of the Merc engine, it's Renault power that's making up the sharp end of the grid with RBR and Renault. Come on...Kubica and Petrov aren't anywhere near as good as they're showing. PEACE.

EDIT: Homologation needs to end. Let teams develop all aspects of the car again. If they let Renault bump the power again, I'm gonna lose it. Cheap bastards.
I'm not saying the Renault doesn't have some benefits, but I think it would all be solved by getting rid of the engine homologation rules, as you said. And why would it be a problem if Renault do bump the power to the same level? Surely they would lose their economy advantage? How does that make them cheap bastards? :lol

Pimpwerx

Dead Man said:
I'm not saying the Renault doesn't have some benefits, but I think it would all be solved by getting rid of the engine homologation rules, as you said. And why would it be a problem if Renault do bump the power to the same level? Surely they would lose their economy advantage? How does that make them cheap bastards? :lol
You put a question mark on there for a good reason. We don't know that at all. That's why homologation has to go because Renault's gotten some power boosts that closed the power gap without closing the fuel economy gap. They're already powering the fastest car on the grid. If they get another performance boost, just hand the championship to them. McLaren and their all-conquering Mercedes is only just keeping up with the Red Bulls. If it wasn't for Newey, weather and bad luck, it would be an all Red Bull parade right now.

It would be like how the FIA handed Brawn the championship last year with the double-diffuser fiasco. PEACE.

Dead Man

Pimpwerx said:
You put a question mark on there for a good reason. We don't know that at all. That's why homologation has to go because Renault's gotten some power boosts that closed the power gap without closing the fuel economy gap. They're already powering the fastest car on the grid. If they get another performance boost, just hand the championship to them. McLaren and their all-conquering Mercedes is only just keeping up with the Red Bulls. If it wasn't for Newey, weather and bad luck, it would be an all Red Bull parade right now.

It would be like how the FIA handed Brawn the championship last year with the double-diffuser fiasco. PEACE.
I don't think a team should be punished for designing a fast car. If the FIA want to freeze engines, they should make sure they all make the same power. The Merc is still the most powerful engine, along with Ferrari. It's up to them to make a faster chassis, not to give other teams less powerful engines.

Pimpwerx

Dead Man said:
I don't think a team should be punished for designing a fast car. If the FIA want to freeze engines, they should make sure they all make the same power. The Merc is still the most powerful engine, along with Ferrari. It's up to them to make a faster chassis, not to give other teams less powerful engines.
Which is why we both agree that homologation needs to end. Let the best package win, period. PEACE.

TylerD

So who is going to be attending the Canadian GP this weekend? I am interested in meeting up and will be staying the 9th - 15th.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Mad jealous of all the GAF crew who are going to the GP this weekend. One of my favourite tracks on the calendar.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
S. L. said:
Canada is gonna be pretty exciting with the prospect of the Mclarens being equally fast as the RBRs :D :D

They will be faster. Long straights in Canada.. Macs are clearly faster in a straightline than anyone..

unless RBR breaks out a fully functional F-duct it should be a Mac 1-2.

Dead Man

Source

Red Bull Racing announced on Monday that Mark Webber’s contract has been extended, meaning the Australian will continue to drive for the team next season. Webber, who leads the 2010 driver standings, has been with the Austrian-owned squad since 2007.

With Sebastian Vettel already contracted to Red Bull for next year, it means the team’s driver line-up will remain unchanged for the third season in a row.

“It was an easy decision to remain with Red Bull Racing,” said Webber, 33. “We began talking very early this year and were in a position to sign by the Barcelona Grand Prix. The decision to extend for a further year was a mutual one; it’s widely known that I’m not interested in hanging around in Formula One just for the sake of it and at this stage of my career, I’m happy to take one year at a time.

“I continue to feel very comfortable here - I have a fantastic relationship with the whole team and the factory at Milton Keynes feels like home. It’s been incredible to be part of the team as it’s moved forward from a mid-field competitor to one that is challenging for the championship. I hope we experience more success together in the future and achieve our ultimate goal of winning the world championship.”

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner added: “The decision to retain Mark was very straightforward. He is an important member of our team and is currently in the best form of his career, as the current leader of the drivers’ championship. The team is extremely happy that the driver pairing of Mark and Sebastian will remain unchanged for a third season in 2011.”

Probably the best move for both parties, if Webber beats Vettel this year it might even result in fair treatment! :lol

Salacious Crumb

Dead Man said:
Source

Probably the best move for both parties, if Webber beats Vettel this year it might even result in fair treatment! :lol

Unlikely, Vettel is meant to be Red Bulls wonder kin. It doesn't matter who his teammate is, the higher ups at Red Bull will always favor Vettel.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be interesting to see if Ferrari can catch up with RBR and Mclaren. They should do better in Montreal, but i doubt it that they will be on par with both top teams.

S. L.

Salacious Crumb said:
Unlikely, Vettel is meant to be Red Bulls wonder kin. It doesn't matter who his teammate is, the higher ups at Red Bull will always favor Vettel.
Also Vettel is much more marketable for Red Bull, fits way better in their company image

Jinjo

I will not be able to watch the Canadian GP, but that's because I'll be attending the Le Mans 24 heures. :D

Just a tip for the fantasy league players though: every race this year that I've been unable to watch has been a McLaren 1-2. Just sayin'.:lol

Dead Man

Some interesting bits from Andrew Benson, the rest is at the link:
Source
On McLaren
After the race, Hamilton said he had been given a target lap time to meet to ensure he got to the end, and that it had been too slow. "All of a sudden, Jenson was on my tail," he said.

For his part, Button said that he had been told to save fuel, but not how much, nor how fast to go.

But the official Formula 1 website has now published its edit of the Turkish Grand Prix, and it turns out that Hamilton was not telling the whole story. You can watch it here, although you'll need to register to do so.

In the video, Hamilton can be heard asking his team on the radio after being told he needs to save fuel, and that Button is also doing the same: "Jenson's closing in on me, you guys. If I back off, is Jenson going to pass me or not?"

His engineer replies: "No, Lewis. No."

And yet that is exactly what happened.
No wonder Hamilton was upset - although he did his best to keep what was bothering him to himself. One suspects he has been less circumspect with the team in private.
and on RBR:
Interestingly, the formula1.com video also features new radio transmissions from Red Bull.

But not, sadly, perhaps the most telling conversation that appears to have happened in their team during that race - that, as Hughes reported in Autosport last week, of team principal Christian Horner telling Mark Webber's race engineer Ciaran Pilbeam to order the Australian to let Sebastian Vettel pass, a message Pilbeam did not pass on.

What is broadcast for the first time, though, is Pilbeam urging Webber to "use your overtake button for a boost on the straight" to help him defend against Vettel on the straight before Turn 12 on the fateful lap 40.

The more that comes out about the Webber-Vettel collision, the more it appears that Red Bull were trying to engineer a win for the German.

There is Horner's order to Pilbeam. I understand this was not passed on because Pilbeam was preoccupied with something else at the time.

Then there is adviser Helmut Marko's insistence after the race that Webber was at fault, when the vast majority of observers pinned most of the blame on Vettel for turning right into Webber when he was still alongside, if nosing ahead.

It also transpires that in the post-race debrief - which Vettel did not attend because he had left the track - Horner, Marko and chief technical officer Adrian Newey "laid into" Webber and Pilbeam. And strong words were said in the other direction, too.

I hear another interesting fact, as well.

Red Bull said after the race that Webber had asked the team to slow Vettel down. But that is not accurate. Having noticed Vettel was quicker than him on the straight, Webber had actually asked whether Vettel was on the same engine settings as him.

Lucius86

Banned
Dead Man said:
Source
On McLaren

and on RBR:

I think it was blindingly obvious that Hamilton was upset about the Button overtake - but he did put a very brave face on it to the public.

Red Bull are falling down FAST in my respect for them. Everything just points to utter favourtism to Vettel. I'm amazed Webber has signed another year for them - surely with his recent performance some other big team would give him a shot for a year?? Renault with Kubica?

Pimpwerx

Dead Man said:
Source
On McLaren

and on RBR:
That makes me very upset. I hope it was a miscommunication between the two race engineers rather than sabotage by the team or disobedience from Jenson. Lewis was faster than Jenson all weekend and could have just kept gapping him if they hadn't told him to backoff. It's a good thing he's such a hard charger, because I didn't expect him to get that position back. PEACE.

EDIT: BTW, I have to think that even 3 years in, Lewis has overtaken someone to take the lead and win more than anyone else except maybe Alonso and Schuey. Okay...enough of the Koolaid. :D

Dead Man

Lucius86 said:
I think it was blindingly obvious that Hamilton was upset about the Button overtake - but he did put a very brave face on it to the public.

Red Bull are falling down FAST in my respect for them. Everything just points to utter favourtism to Vettel. I'm amazed Webber has signed another year for them - surely with his recent performance some other big team would give him a shot for a year?? Renault with Kubica?
Yeah, he has been a lot classier post race this year. Still want Button and RBR to beat him though :D

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mclaren will bring in Canada:
- modified diffuser
- new rear wing element
- new front wing (planned for Turkey, but they did not used it)

Damn, i wonder how they can introduce upgrades in such a short time with almost no addition aero tests. Ferrari wasted another straight line test yesterday.

Also, it seems that it will be a wet weekend. So this is additional + for Mclaren. RBR will, imo, use F-duct, even if they said that they will bring it only to Valencia

S. L.

DrM said:
Damn, i wonder how they can introduce upgrades in such a short time with almost no addition aero tests. Ferrari wasted another straight line test yesterday.
I assume they have a really solid CFD setup that produces real world applicable data, something a few other teams have trouble with from what i understand

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Probably, because they have upgrades planned for several races. Also, they seems to be very well organised. I wonder what will be the so called huge upgrade for Silverstone.....

also
McLaren: Turkey radio message wrong

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh insists a simple miscommunication was to blame for Lewis Hamilton believing that team-mate Jenson Button would not overtake him during the Turkish Grand Prix.

Hamilton was told by McLaren's chief engineer Phil Prew during the Istanbul race that Button would not overtake him once they switched to fuel-saving mode, but moments later the reigning champion passed him for the lead, which Hamilton retook seconds later.

Whitmarsh, speaking during a Vodafone phone-in on Tuesday, said Prew was simply giving his opinion when he replied to Hamilton and that, as it turned out, his opinion was wrong.

But Whitmarsh made it clear there had not been any orders given to the drivers.

"Shortly after he was told that Jenson wouldn't overtake him, Jenson did overtake him," said Whitmarsh.

"Phil gave an opinion to Jenson and as it turned out his opinion was wrong. Simply as that. They are racing drivers and they both had a challenge in that race from the outset.

"The race was a bit quicker than expected. So we were consuming more fuel than we needed to. So we had to find ways to save fuel.

"Inevitably there's a dilemma as you get to the end of a race about how hard you can race. I think we've had it amply demonstrated that a team and its drivers can get that wrong, but there is no doubt that both of our racing drivers want to win and they were being told to look after fuel.

"But as a consequence of that Phil Prew had the opinion that Jenson wouldn't overtake and clearly that was probably a wrong one.

"But I don't think it was expected that Lewis would lift as much in Turn 8 and for Jenson, who is a racing driver, when he saw quite big lift in Turn 8 he thought it was his opportunity, he lined up and subsequently made the pass."

He added: "They know they are racing drivers. Lewis was surprised by that information. He asked the question and Phil Prew, who is the chief engineer, gave an instinctive and immediate response, which is he didn't think Jenson was going to pass.

"But Lewis wasn't about to give his first place easily and I think he made a fairly robust overtake to ensure that he remained in the lead."

Hamilton went on to score his first win of the season.
Autosport

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dead Man said:
Yeah, he has been a lot classier post race this year. Still want Button and RBR to beat him though :D

You mean other than calling out his race director on the radio for making him get tires in Australia?

Leunam

Alright I need help from Formula 1 GAF. I'm getting stuff put together for the next race summary. I downloaded the nice set of banners and maps from Subzero earlier this season, which is how I'm able to put the previews together. Unfortunately, there is no track layout for Canada. I'm having a hell of a hard time finding comparable maps and I'd rather not use a different format. I'm still searching, but if anyone can help me find a layout of the Canada GP track in the same format as the previous maps, I would be very grateful.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If nobody can find something, try to snatch layout from the offical site. I checked some blogs and some maps are the same as Subzero provided, but not for Canada.

Dead Man

StoOgE said:
You mean other than calling out his race director on the radio for making him get tires in Australia?
Well, it is still better than last years tantrums! :D

Leunam said:
Alright I need help from Formula 1 GAF. I'm getting stuff put together for the next race summary. I downloaded the nice set of banners and maps from Subzero earlier this season, which is how I'm able to put the previews together. Unfortunately, there is no track layout for Canada. I'm having a hell of a hard time finding comparable maps and I'd rather not use a different format. I'm still searching, but if anyone can help me find a layout of the Canada GP track in the same format as the previous maps, I would be very grateful.
Yeah, I couldn't find any the same format, sorry.

Edit: LOL at new avatar! :lol

Edit2 Oh, it changes, nice. Is that new, or did I always just see the Hammy picture before?

Lucius86

Banned
I've really gone all out on my team for this weekend - cheapest two drivers, followed my McLaren engine, chassis and fuel.

I thought "sod it - why not?!?" :lol :lol

dejay

Banned
Dead Man said:
and on RBR:
Interestingly, the formula1.com video also features new radio transmissions from Red Bull.

But not, sadly, perhaps the most telling conversation that appears to have happened in their team during that race - that, as Hughes reported in Autosport last week, of team principal Christian Horner telling Mark Webber's race engineer Ciaran Pilbeam to order the Australian to let Sebastian Vettel pass, a message Pilbeam did not pass on.

What is broadcast for the first time, though, is Pilbeam urging Webber to "use your overtake button for a boost on the straight" to help him defend against Vettel on the straight before Turn 12 on the fateful lap 40.

The more that comes out about the Webber-Vettel collision, the more it appears that Red Bull were trying to engineer a win for the German.

There is Horner's order to Pilbeam. I understand this was not passed on because Pilbeam was preoccupied with something else at the time.

Then there is adviser Helmut Marko's insistence after the race that Webber was at fault, when the vast majority of observers pinned most of the blame on Vettel for turning right into Webber when he was still alongside, if nosing ahead.

It also transpires that in the post-race debrief - which Vettel did not attend because he had left the track - Horner, Marko and chief technical officer Adrian Newey "laid into" Webber and Pilbeam. And strong words were said in the other direction, too.

I hear another interesting fact, as well.

Red Bull said after the race that Webber had asked the team to slow Vettel down. But that is not accurate. Having noticed Vettel was quicker than him on the straight, Webber had actually asked whether Vettel was on the same engine settings as him.

Fuck, I used to like RBR as an "outsider", but fuck that shit. I can understand team orders to help a team mate who's clearly in front of the the other in the championship, but to try and get someone in front of the other team member who is actually technically ahead in the championship is a douche move of the highest order.

Still, Webber has signed up for another year, so he must like taking it up the rear.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lucius86 said:
I've really gone all out on my team for this weekend - cheapest two drivers, followed my McLaren engine, chassis and fuel.

I thought "sod it - why not?!?" :lol :lol

can't do McLaren fuel - the RBR fuel just covers more good teams so the points are generally better.

I have shitty drivers, RBR chassis and I think a Renault engine (tryign to work that up). I'm trying to avoid regular updates as the comission rates screw your money.

navanman

Brawn warns against Mercedes supplying another team.
Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn has told the German car maker to think 'long and hard' before considering supplying engines to another outfit.

Mercedes currently supplies customer engines to McLaren and Force India, apart from running its own F1 team following the purchase of world champion Brawn GP.

Red Bull Racing, using Renault power units, was also keen to secure a deal with Mercedes for this year and has admitted the equalisation of engine performance would be a key factor in deciding to stick with Renault or not after this season.

Brawn, however, believes Mercedes is already supplying engines to as many teams as it can, and he reckons it would be a mistake to add another one.

"In my opinion, as constructors, we at Mercedes would need to think long and hard before adding another customer to our list," Brawn told Autosprint magazine.

"I think we are on the limit as far as supplies are concerned. We must make sure there is always a Cosworth able to sell its engines, it's not the duty of a car manufacturer.

"As for the power, I don't know. The truth is that there is no procedure that determines precisely the parameters. We would be fine with placing all the engines on the bench under the FIA's supervision.

"But measuring the power is only a part of the problem. There's the cooling, the driveability, the fuel consumption. And just recently the boss of Renault's engine guys has said that their V8 may not be the most powerful, but it's the best from many other aspects..."
Source

navanman

Another driver getting a new chassis because of poor performances and suspected damage.
Vitantonio Liuzzi is to change chassis for this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix as he bids to get on top of the qualifying troubles that have marred his recent performances.

Liuzzi has struggled to find a good set-up on his VJM03 in the last few races and, with the team having found some damage on the chassis he used since Spain, he is to revert to the one he used in the first four races.

"The last few races have been pretty tough as we've been struggling with a general lack of grip that makes it hard for me to give the maximum," said Liuzzi. "Monaco was OK and I thought we had solved the issues so it was quite frustrating in Turkey that I couldn't make the most of our new development items.

"We've put in some long hours at the factory and found some minor damage on the chassis that we picked up in Monaco. We thought we had fixed it but as a precaution we are switching back to the chassis I used in the first four races. We'll look at the chassis again back in the factory and see if we can find any other areas we need to address."

Force India will this weekend continue work on its own F-duct, which the team has dubbed the 'Switchable Rear Wing' (SRW) - and that means that reserve driver Paul di Resta will sit out driving duties once more to allow Liuzzi and Adrian Sutil the maximum cockpit time.

Speaking about the situation, di Resta said: "I'm not driving this time out in Canada as Adrian and Tonio need some more time in the car. It's been a couple of years since they've driven at the track and, as it's such a specific track with the low downforce and tight hairpins, they will benefit from some extra track time to refamiliarise themselves. Also we've got some more work to do on the SRW.

"I'm comfortable with sitting out the session as I'll be back out in Valencia. As usual I'll be participating in the meetings and walking the track - I've never been to Montreal so the experience will be good.

"During the sessions I sit on the pit wall to listen into the discussions but also to help with spotting and any feedback the team might need. I'm feeling really integrated and even when I'm not driving there's still plenty I can contribute."
Source

navanman

WTF is going on with the tyre supplier issues, it must be all down to money rather than tyre specs?
FIA president Jean Todt has insisted it will be motor racing's governing body and Formula 1's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone - and not the teams - who will have the final say on which tyre supplier the sport has next year.

As the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) closes in on a deal with Pirelli for 2011, Todt has made it clear that the choice of tyre company is not something that can simply be left for the competitors to decide.

Teams have spent weeks trying to make their final choice on next year's tyre supplier and, despite a last-ditch bid by Michelin at the Turkish Grand Prix to try and win the deal, it is understood that progress is continuing on finalising terms with Pirelli.

However, Todt has now said that the matter is still likely to go out to tender - which could leave the situation unresolved for several more weeks.

In an interview with French newspaper Le Parisien, which was published on Tuesday, Todt emphasised who would make the final decision on tyres.

When asked if, in the wake of FOTA pushing on with the Pirelli option, the FIA had a say, Todt said: "Of course it does. And it [the FIA] will soon launch a tender, with the commercial promoter of the championship, Bernie Ecclestone.

"FOTA may suggest that it decides, but the strong man is not he who speaks the loudest
Source

navanman

Great article from F1fanatic with some good info on why McLaren has caught up with RBR.
The Milton Keynes-based outfit had almost a second a lap advantage in Spain and four-tenths on the tight streets on Monaco.
So how come there was less than two-tenths between Webber, the pole man, and Hamilton, number two?

Part of the answer is that Webber wasn’t the fastest man at Istanbul Park. Had Vettel’s roll bar not broken during qualifying, causing him to lock his left-front on both his Q3 laps, the gap would have been closer to four-tenths.

Still, this is an impressive recovery from the silver team.
How did McLaren gain four-tenths?

Part of the gain was due to Red Bull having to modify its car to satisfy the FIA scrutineers. That’s right – the suspension on the RB6 was borderline illegal and had been for three races.

At the front, the upper wishbone fairing (where it attaches to the monocoque) was heavily flared. The rules state that it should be uniform width to avoid being overtly used for aerodynamic gain. Another advantage of the flared wishbone is that it allows teams to put vanes on the floor to scavenge airflow under the nose and make the front wing more efficient. This is because the floor is allowed to shadow the suspension.

Red Bull also had problems with its rear suspension too. Any wishbone that is aerofoil shaped must be at less than a 5 degree incline to the floor. The pull rod obviously exceeds that angle so Red Bull had to revert to a traditional circular structure. Engineers in the paddock estimate that these changes cost Red Bull at least two-tenths.

OK, so how did McLaren find another two-tenths?

Over the last four years McLaren has shown that it has the fastest rate of development in the paddock. In 2007 and 2008 Ferrari started off with the better car only for McLaren to out-develop the Scuderia.

In 2009 the Woking-based outfit found two seconds in five months, turning a poodle into a greyhound. And so far this year McLaren is the only team to close the gap to Red Bull.

Again in Turkey the MP4-25 sported a raft of upgrades. The front wing saw some minor tweaks. The flared rear of the endplate was more flared and had a slot to let air bleed from the high-pressure venturi section to the outer part of the endplate. This helps push the air around the tyre as the flow under the wing has greater energy.

The rear wing also received an update as the team flew in its Canada-spec wing. The main difference was a more cambered main plane but twisting down at the endplates to reduce drag. This is ideal for the low downforce Montreal track and worked a treat in Istanbul too.

The sidepod vanes were also revised. The vane now buckles inwards at the floor to direct more air away from the undercut; it also juts out a little more towards the top. In this area there is a lot of turbulent flow from the front tyres so minute changes to the pod vanes can have a positive effect on aerodynamic performance.

They are even more important now the size of bargeboards have been restricted. Under the 2008 regulations bargeboards were used to seal the floor, but they under the new regulations they are far less effective than they used to be.
Full article

dejay said:
Still, Webber has signed up for another year, so he must like taking it up the rear.

Or, he recognizes that he probably won't get as good a chance to win elsewhere in the current climate than he does at RBR since he'd probably jump straight into the same situation of playing second fiddle at Ferrari or Renault - and I doubt there's much wiggle-room for McLaren or Mercedes to change lineups for the next few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom